Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    what is a city then? u obviously dont live in a city

I do. In Dublin actually. Plenty of parks, beaches, wide open spaces

wow - lucky you - enjoy Greece.

what is your essential reason for travel? is going home to see family an essential reason?

She is moving home!
    Obvs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

bubblypop wrote: »
    She is moving home!

but only for a short time. i presume she is keeping her apartment etc in ireland so if they really look into it they could tell.

Relax! I never said I enjoy being cooped up at home, dunno where you're getting that impression. Cant imagine anyone enjoys lockdown.
    I'm merely asking someone, who is living in a different country, how exactly it differs. The only big difference I can see is the exercise limit, and non essential retail being open.

It's the same conversation I have with friends from different countries, comparing the differences.

ok i dont want to argue. from my perspective you didnt phrase it that way but lets move on.

I do. In Dublin actually. Plenty of parks, beaches, wide open spaces

really as in my 5km radius theres only a beach full of sewage, dog poop and crappy buildings so lucky you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Relax! I never said I enjoy being cooped up at home, dunno where you're getting that impression. Cant imagine anyone enjoys lockdown.
    I'm merely asking someone, who is living in a different country, how exactly it differs. The only big difference I can see is the exercise limit, and non essential retail being open.

It's the same conversation I have with friends from different countries, comparing the differences.

I live in Seville and not just non essential retail is open but also the bars and restaurants until 6. Also full contact sports outside, gyms are open, extra curricular activities for kids are running, language courses are on, universities and schools open, churches are open and the only travel limit is you can't leave Andalucía which is massive anyways. It was great to hear the cheers yesterday from the Sunday league games nearby. If you go to the airport no police will stop you either.

I live in Seville and not just non essential retail is open but also the bars and restaurants until 6. Also full contact sports outside, gyms are open, extra curricular activities for kids are running, language courses are on, universities and schools open, churches are open and the only travel limit is you can't leave Andalucía which is massive anyways. It was great to hear the cheers yesterday from the Sunday league games nearby.

You wouldn’t want to leave Andalucia anyway given that it’s the most open. Hopefully Valencia is heading in that direction, but think it will be cautious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

wow - lucky you - enjoy Greece.

what is your essential reason for travel? is going home to see family an essential reason?

That would be the reasoning, yes.
    My parents are both elderly so if needed they can get a certificate from one of the many doctors they attend for my father (he is over 80s and has various minor health conditions).
    I hope though that by May/June the rules will be a bit more relaxed. Plus, similar to what woody said, I will have a one-way ticket (and a Greek passport obviously) so I would expect that guards would be reasonable enough.
    For me the main thing would be what restrictions will be applicable in Greece. As you, woody and bubblypop discussed, different restrictions affect people in different ways. Greece at the moment has 2 restrictions that I find rather difficult: masks everywhere outdoors and a form that you must complete and have with you (either handwritten, electronically or through a mobile text message service) to justify your essential reason for being out. Not a fan of masks in general and I found it very restraining having to wear one when I was going out for a walk alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

but only for a short time. i presume she is keeping her apartment etc in ireland so if they really look into it they could tell.

What would be the minimum length of time for someone to relocate home for that would put you at ease Toby ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

She is moving home!

He guys, not she :D:pac:

and yes, it will only be for a few weeks/months.
    Another factor will be how quickly the vaccinations will happen. I'm in the last group so it could take months before I get the vaccine. But if things speed up and there is any chance that I can get the vaccine by the end of June, the plan will obviously change. My parents will already be vaccinated (my dad already had his first dose and will have the second next week - and my mom will be in April-May), so if I can also get the vaccine it means that I can stay with them and have some more peace of mind

• Advertisement

Really? According to people's experience on here "it's a breeze". He mustn't have got the bus. I believe that's the solution to avoiding the checkpoints according to people on here. Rookie error.

Buses are being boarded but not all of them. Take a chance I guess

josip wrote: »
    What would be the minimum length of time for someone to relocate home for that would put you at ease Toby ?

im wondering how i would approach it myself - as i would like to leave ireland. its not a judgment - its a question

oh lord - did u read the post or are you being facetious.

the poster is talking about their personal experiences.

maybe in your 5km radius there is sun and sand and ocean and mountains and a 10pm curfew.

in most peoples 5km radius in ireland we have concrete and dog poop OR a fields of cows.

There's not a spot in Dublin that far from a park, walkway, beach

Irish Aris wrote: »
    That would be the reasoning, yes.
    My parents are both elderly so if needed they can get a certificate from one of the many doctors they attend for my father (he is over 80s and has various minor health conditions).
    I hope though that by May/June the rules will be a bit more relaxed. Plus, similar to what woody said, I will have a one-way ticket (and a Greek passport obviously) so I would expect that guards would be reasonable enough.
    For me the main thing would be what restrictions will be applicable in Greece. As you, woody and bubblypop discussed, different restrictions affect people in different ways. Greece at the moment has 2 restrictions that I find rather difficult: masks everywhere outdoors and a form that you must complete and have with you (either handwritten, electronically or through a mobile text message service) to justify your essential reason for being out. Not a fan of masks in general and I found it very restraining having to wear one when I was going out for a walk alone.

hopefully all works out for you. im not judging - just trying to figure out how i would approach it myself. i think irelands approach is driving the remaining sane people mad and time to get out of dodge

There's not a spot in Dublin that far from a park, walkway, beach

OK - thats your perspective. a crappy ole park full of kids or a over crowded beach full of sewage is just not enough for me. but good for you that it is. enough. i envy that. i really do. for me theres a huge world out there that i want to explore and people i want to see and places i want to go. instead im stuck in my apartment and im supposed to be grateful there is a crappy park or beach within a 5km radius.

the beaches and places i like in dublin i cant access as they are not within my limit.

He guys, not she :D:pac:

Lol! Sorry, dunno why I always thought you were female :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

U.K. aiming to have international travel restrictions lifted by 17th May and all restrictions by 21st June.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0222/1198499-england-restrictions-easing/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Not a fan of masks in general and I found it very restraining having to wear one when I was going out for a walk alone.

In most countries it doesn't have to be a surgical mask except in certain cases like hospital visits.

I have one of these and use it when out walking,while keeping 2m distance. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08FBHL1XY

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You'll forgive me for saying but that sounds very draconian even down right scary. What about your EU rights? I'm not sure that would go down well in Ireland. :eek:

It’s pretty scary alright

Although they to be fair, they don’t keep you at the checkpoint for 2 weeks and charge you €2k for the privilege ;)

OK - thats your perspective. a crappy ole park full of kids or a over crowded beach full of sewage is just not enough for me. but good for you that it is. enough. i envy that. i really do. for me theres a huge world out there that i want to explore and people i want to see and places i want to go. instead im stuck in my apartment and im supposed to be grateful there is a crappy park or beach within a 5km radius.

the beaches and places i like in dublin i cant access as they are not within my limit.

Stop now with the silliness.

We have some of the best parks in Europe. We are an island and they have beaches.

Throwing your toys and screaming that you want a different lollypop won't make any difference

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    U.K. aiming to have international travel restrictions lifted by 17th May and all restrictions by 21st June.

they have a plan - some hope for their residents at least.

in ireland we are just swimming in a fish bowl year after year with no direction

It’s pretty scary alright

Although they to be fair, they don’t keep you at the checkpoint for 2 weeks and charge you €2k for the privilege ;)

Don't in Ireland either

Is a clear and hopefully roadmap which everyone can buy in to, and has public support from the science chiefs. Government and scientific advisers clearly giving the same positive message

Is really going to put the pressure on our government. Not for the relaxations per se, but for the communication and clarity of message, and the hope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Booked my haircut in Belfast for the 12th of April.

Can have a nice day out shopping. And have a drink served to me outside with some food.

Thank you Boris and god bless Northern Ireland at times like this :pac:

Is a clear and hopefully roadmap which everyone can buy in to, and has public support from the science chiefs. Government and scientific advisers clearly giving the same positive message

Is really going to put the pressure on our government. Not for the relaxations per se, but for the communication and clarity of message, and the hope

yes instead of Irelands recipe for a disastrous plan and lack of communication:

1 liter of Doom and 2 liters of Gloom, 2 cups of melancholy and bucket full of depression with a pinch of salt and a cup of unreasonableness, served on a platter full of dispiritedness.

Stop now with the silliness.

We have some of the best parks in Europe. We are an island and they have beaches.

Throwing your toys and screaming that you want a different lollypop won't make any difference

thats your opinion and i have mine. i like dublin - i just happen to be in a radius of 5klm where i cant access the beaches and parks i like. would you just stop judging me for my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

I wonder what level of inward travel restrictions they anticipate for end of June.
    It would be great (for me) if PCR tests weren't required coming from Ireland.

josip wrote: »
    I wonder what level of inward travel restrictions they anticipate for end of June.
    It would be great (for me) if PCR tests weren't required coming from Ireland.

They’re not right now and never have been. And nor is self isolation. All travel rules in the UK, including testing, are for people arriving from outside the common travel area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

And Easyjet just added a Belfast-Corfu route.

Gonna be a lot of 'stay'cations up north this summer.

• Advertisement

RobitTV wrote: »
    Booked my haircut in Belfast for the 12th of April.

Can have a nice day out shopping. And have a drink served to me outside with some food.

Thank you Boris and god bless Northern Ireland at times like this :pac:

What has boris done for you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement