Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jn123

Any updates on US travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

I’m sure they’re going to get rid of non essential travel and that ridiculous 2k fine be end of July. I work in the airport and it won’t survive any longer if they keep this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gallyind

jn123 wrote: »

Not likely to chamge for a while, forbes ran a story on it friday,

Its a cdc decision in the us on the ire uk shengen travel ban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I’m sure they’re going to get rid of non essential travel and that ridiculous 2k fine be end of July. I work in the airport and it won’t survive any longer if they keep this up.

I don't think our esteemed leaders realise the damage they are causing.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

https://www.afar.com/magazine/when-will-we-be-able-to-travel-to-europe

"Italy opened to U.S. leisure travelers on COVID-tested flights on May 16 and as France recently said it will open to Americans by June 9. Additionally, a handful of European countries have already started opening up to international travelers who are either vaccinated or present negative COVID-19 test results, including Greece and Iceland."

Other European countries are starting to open up to US visitors.

Meanwhile we are still putting US visitors in 14 day mandatory hotel quarantine. It is unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

jellies wrote: »

"Italy opened to U.S. leisure travelers on COVID-tested flights on May 16 and as France recently said it will open to Americans by June 9. Additionally, a handful of European countries have already started opening up to international travelers who are either vaccinated or present negative COVID-19 test results, including Greece and Iceland."

Meanwhile we are still putting US visitors in 14 day mandatory hotel quarantine. It is unbelievable.

True but Irish visitors aren’t welcome in the US at all so it’s not that crazy.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    True but Irish visitors aren’t welcome in the US at all so it’s not that crazy.

Yeah but we want to get our inbound US tourism going again.

Most Americans I know have had their kids vaccinated at this stage so can be done very safely if we were minded to look for solutions.

I'd imagine the CDC will unwind their inbound restrictions as part of the EU Green Cert initiative.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I wonder if travel is allowed would that not go too?

I’d hope so, along with public servants needing to take two weeks off even if wfh as hoping to get away with the girls in October and some currently wouldn’t be able if that policy stands.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    I don't think our esteemed leaders realise the damage they are causing.

I don’t think they care.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

I now fully expect the travel fine to be extended on June 2nd. Possibly all the way up to implementation of Green Cert here.

Why are you so pessimistic? What are you basing that on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Great article about UK orange status countries and the hurdle (s) boris Johnson is facing

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9607989/JONATHAN-SUMPTION-backbone-Boris.html

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

dalyboy wrote: »
    Great article about UK orange status countries and the hurdle (s) boris Johnson is facing

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9607989/JONATHAN-SUMPTION-backbone-Boris.html

" consists of public health professionals interested only in public health and blind to most things that make good health worth having"

So they've heard of Saint Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Why are you so pessimistic? What are you basing that on?

RTÉ and Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Jeez, were all very pessimistic today aren't we?

Chin up guys, in 6 weeks time well all be enjoying a meal and a drink in a beer garden

Isn’t that closer to 2 weeks away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

pc7 wrote: »
    I don’t think they care.

I think your right. I think they actually are convinced that people will holiday in Ireland if they can't go abroad. Now we are planning a week away at the end of June in Ireland but with no indoor dining until we are almost coming home we won't be spending much while away. The weather will play a huge part in our eating out or it'll be takeaways. Much less than we'd spend in a restaurant!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

Just an update for people who were asking. Travelled through Belfast to Spain and the journey was pretty easy; just needed a PCR and health control form. Restrictions over here are fairly lax although you do have to wear a mask outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

p. Restrictions over here are fairly lax although you do have to wear a mask outdoors.

That alone is putting me off Spain. Don’t fancy a mask in that heat

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Gael23 wrote: »
    That alone is putting me off Spain. Don’t fancy a mask in that heat

That law Looks increasing likely to be removed shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

pc7 wrote: »
    Mid August would screw most families as schools ask you to sign declarations you haven’t been away previous 14 days.

I would be surprised if they are still doing this in September.

Also, I would in the past have been extremely reluctant for our children to miss any school days.
    Home schooling during Covid has opened my eyes a bit and in our case, they would do at least as well academically during 2 weeks of enforced absence.
    We're lucky to wfh and that our kids are old enough to be able to work independently. I understand that it won't suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Feria40 wrote: »
    That law Looks increasing likely to be removed shortly

It seems that the mask rules in Spain will be revised in the coming week.
    Their health chief is saying once they’re lower than 150 cases per 100k that there’ll be a relaxing of current mask mandates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Not looking hopeful to be able to travel to the US for non- citizens. They have no plans “ at the moment” to change their travel restrictions for european’s. I have already given my view on the future of travel and stick by it unfortunately.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2021/05/21/usuk-travel-restrictions-wont-be-lifted-at-the-moment/amp/

dalyboy wrote: »
    It seems that the mask rules in Spain will be revised in the coming week.
    Their health chief is saying once they’re lower than 150 cases per 100k that there’ll be a relaxing of current mask mandates.

West are the restrictions on restaurants in Spain ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

Gael23 wrote: »
    West are the restrictions on restaurants?

Restaurants, pubs and nightclubs all open over here. Don't need to wear a mask either while in these places, which is kinda strange since they're quite strict on masks outdoors.

Restaurants, pubs and nightclubs all open over here. Don't need to wear a mask either while in these places, which is kinda strange since they're quite strict on masks outdoors.

Are there restrictions on how many can be at a table together?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭brickster69

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Not looking hopeful to be able to travel to the US for non- citizens. They have no plans “ at the moment” to change their travel restrictions for european’s. I have already given my view on the future of travel and stick by it unfortunately.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2021/05/21/usuk-travel-restrictions-wont-be-lifted-at-the-moment/amp/

The White House said on Friday that "it will not ever mandate vaccine passports or proof of vaccination for travel or any other activity"

No idea how that will work regards getting into Europe from the States

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

The White House said on Friday that "it will not ever mandate vaccine passports or proof of vaccination for travel or any other activity"

No idea how that will work regards getting into Europe from the States

If their citizens make enough noise they might have to change that. They love travelling to europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

jellies wrote: »

If they're vaccinated, they don't have to do MHQ which most Americans are at this stage. Seems sensible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Florida booked for mid October.

Probability of Covid bamboozlement?

Wombatman wrote: »
    Florida booked for mid October.

Probability of Covid bamboozlement?

Unless you’re a US citizen i wouldn’t be booking anything to the USA. They have no plans to reopen to europe.

• Advertisement

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    If they're vaccinated, they don't have to do MHQ which most Americans are at this stage. Seems sensible

You are correct. Thanks. 14 days home quarantine. Will wait and see what the "plan" is next week I suppose.

"From March 26, 2021, passengers arriving into Ireland from or who have been present within the preceding 14 days in – including only having transited – any of a list of designated high-risk countries must complete a 14-day Mandatory Hotel Quarantine. The list of high-risk countries includes the United States. Passengers arriving from or who have been present within the preceding 14 days in any country on this list are required to pre-book accommodation in a designated quarantine facility, and to pre-pay for their stay. Travelers who fail to fulfil the legal requirement for Mandatory Hotel Quarantine are committing an offence and can be fined up to €2,000 or get a prison sentence of up to 1 month, or both. Passengers arriving from one of the designated high-risk countries who are fully vaccinated are exempt from the Mandatory Hotel Quarantine, but must still quarantine for 14 days upon arrival at the location listed on their Passenger Locator Form submitted upon arrival to Ireland. The Mandatory Hotel Quarantine program is a Government of Ireland program – the U.S. Embassy cannot intervene on behalf of private U.S. citizens who are subject to the quarantine requirement. See this notice from the Irish Department of Health for details."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement