Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭brickster69

Wombatman wrote: »
    Florida booked for mid October.

Probability of Covid bamboozlement?

Have you checked it is refundable ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Have you checked it is refundable ?

Everything refundable bar flights. Would have to push flights down the road if it came to that. Don't think it will on the the trajectory the EU and US are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Micky 32 wrote: »
    If their citizens make enough noise they might have to change that. They love travelling to europe.

USA doesn't need to change anything, rules for traveling into the EU are mandated by the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

USA doesn't need to change anything, rules for traveling into the EU are mandated by the EU.

Ah right i picked it up wrong so. I was thinking that the USA won’t give any official electronic ( or otherwise) proof for their citizens that europe might require for entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Unless you’re a US citizen i wouldn’t be booking anything to the USA. They have no plans to reopen to europe.

Europe will probably have herd immunity by August/September. I would be shocked if the USA haven't opened up travel from Europe by October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

VG31 wrote: »
    Europe will probably have herd immunity by August/September. I would be shocked if the USA haven't opened up travel from Europe by October.

I think you are right. The EU and US are already discussing this. We will be in a very different place in ( weeks let alone 5 months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

If the travel certs are delayed it is on purpose or just incompetence. Here in Switzerland, certs will be available by June 7 which are comparable with the EU cert and private companies too have been undertaking alot of the testing.

I will be fully vaccinated by early June and yet may have to quarantine even hotel quarantine, it's absolutely ludicrous

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Gael23 wrote: »
    Are there restrictions on how many can be at a table together?

All the current rules differ by region. In my region, Comunidad Valenciana, which covers areas surrounding Alicante, curfew is 1am from tomorrow, bars/restaurants shut 12:30am, max 10 at a table from different households. Masks are still required outdoors except on the beach.

As Spain is continuing its process of deescalation, these measures will relax further.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I’m sure they’re going to get rid of non essential travel and that ridiculous 2k fine be end of July. I work in the airport and it won’t survive any longer if they keep this up.

And yet other countries still have non essential travel restrictions. Its not like we're the only country in the world doing so.

The UK for example still prohibits non essential travel to Amber list countries with heavy fines for those travelling to / from red list countries. And they are miles ahead of us with vaccinations.

I get it about getting the airports working and essential travel is still permitted.But throwing the doors open right this minute ain't going to help keep infection rates down while we get the numbers of people vaccinated up to herd immunity levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

gozunda wrote: »
    And yet other countries still have non essential travel restrictions. Its not like we're the only country in the world doing so.

Apples and Oranges, Ireland’s restrictions are disproportionate. No other country is fining people for going to an airport.

• Advertisement

The UK for example still prohibits non essential travel to Amber list countries with heavy fines for those travelling to / from red list countries. And they are miles ahead of us with vaccinations.

I get it about getting the airports working and essential travel is still permitted.But throwing the doors open right this minute ain't going to help keep infection rates down while we get the numbers of people vaccinated up to herd immunity levels.

So you’re saying he/she shouldn’t be worried about his job in the airport? It’s perfectly natural he/she is worried and has a right to express it regardless of the situation. Just because you’re nice and snug and lockdown hasn’t affected you no need to be arrogant. I’d suggest be careful on that high horse before you fall off and potentially break your neck :rolleyes:

Restaurants, pubs and nightclubs all open over here. Don't need to wear a mask either while in these places, which is kinda strange since they're quite strict on masks outdoors.

Not sure what part you're in but according to friends in Spain - in bars cafes and restaurants you have to wear a mask when you arrive and when you leave (and the bathroom).But also while sitting at the table you may take it off only to eat or drink. But as soon as you have finished you need to put it back on.

Plenty of other restrictions still in place

https://www.esmadrid.com/en/information-coronavirus?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.ie%2F

So you’re saying he/she shouldn’t be worried about his job in the airport? It’s perfectly natural he/she is worried and has a right to express it regardless of the situation. Just because you’re nice and snug and lockdown hasn’t affected you no need to be arrogant. I’d suggest be careful on that high horse before you fall off and potentially break your neck :

Yeah Micky 'cos that was what was said. Read the comment again. And here none of us know each other circumstances. Maybe less of the smug 'arrogant' personalitions. Thanks.

Borrowed this at its better here imho :rolleyes:

Yeah 'cos that was what was said. And here none of us know each other circumstances. So less of the smug 'arrogant' personalitions. Thanks.

Borrowed this at its better here :rolleyes:

It’s quite easy to get an idea of peoples ‘circumstances’ by their posting over time.
    It might be no harm if you learn some empathy posts towards other posters instead of the ‘condescending arrogant i ( think) know better than everyone else ‘posts. Further more the poster mentioned end of July not opening the doors tomorrow.

Do you mind if i borrow it back? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 colemcgrath55

So wait, USA fully vaccinated people can travel here without mandatory quarantine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

So wait, USA fully vaccinated people can travel here without mandatory quarantine?

Donnelly said that on Friday on the radio.

I think anyome fully vaccinated don’t have to do mhq. They can do it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The 'prohibits' to amber countries is strong advisory, people can travel to countries on that list now if they choose to, with the subsequent quarantine on return. For the record I'm not in favour of 'throwing things open' but I think it's only fair to specify the clear differences.

It’s quite easy to get an idea of peoples ‘circumstances’ by their posting over time. It might be no harm if you learn some empathy posts towards other posters instead of the ‘condescending arrogant i ( think) know better than everyone else ‘posts. Further more the poster mentioned end of July not opening the doors tomorrow.Do you mind if i borrow it back?:

Ah yet more Crystal ball speculation, misrepresentation and aspersions at posters you don't agree with Micky?

Afaik It's a discussion forum where we are asked to keep discussion out of the sewer. But yeah that kind of thing could described as 'condescending arrogant' or similar.

But no matter. Here's your :rolleyes: back.

Corholio wrote: »
    The 'prohibits' to amber countries is strong advisory, people can travel to countries on that list now if they choose to, with the subsequent quarantine on return. For the record I'm not in favour of 'throwing things open' but I think it's only fair to specify the clear differences.

There is some denial on this thread, some seem to think that other countries are locked down like Ireland.

Ireland has the most stringent lockdown in Europe by far.

I decided to rent out my Portugal home on Airbnb this year, I texted the people who rented it out to see if all was ok, they replied, “out getting drunk”, “everything open” . Same when I speak to friends in Poland, Slovakia, Germany and Norway. Yes some restrictions are in place, but they are sensible, proportionate and are common sense.

• Advertisement

To be fair - I think there is a lot of misinformation about the UK Amber list which have been detailed as countries "that you shouldn't go to unless you have an absolutely compelling reason" ( Health Secretary, Matt Hancock)

To reiterate that.

Boris Johnson on Amber list countries
    I think it's very important for people to grasp what an amber list country is: it is not somewhere where you should be going on holiday, let me be very clear about that," 

UK Transport secretary Grant Shapps on
    Amber list countries
    "you should not be travelling to these places right now".

To be fair - I think there is a lot of misinformation about the UK Amber list which have been detailed as countries "that you shouldn't go to unless you have an absolutely compelling reason" ( Health Secretary, Matt Hancock)

To reiterate that.

Boris Johnson on Amber list countries

UK Transport secretary Grant Shapps on
    Amber list countries

Yes absolutely, I wrote in a previous post about the communication mess the ministers there got themselves in.

"Yesterday environment secretary George Eustice then told broadcasters people could go to amber-listed countries such as Spain, France, Italy and Greece "if they feel the need" to visit family and friends, as long as they observed quarantine rules on their return"

One was saying it's ok to travel there and Boris saying you should not be travelling to these countries. I'm not advocating that people should be going gung ho to these countries, but the point was people can travel to these countries if they want, it is no longer illegal. The language is strongly advisory against but people can travel without fines etc.

Yes absolutely, I wrote in a previous post about the communication mess the ministers there got themselves in.

"Yesterday environment secretary George Eustice then told broadcasters people could go to amber-listed countries such as Spain, France, Italy and Greece "if they feel the need" to visit family and friends, as long as they observed quarantine rules on their return"

One was saying it's ok to travel there and Boris saying you should not be travelling to these countries. I'm not advocating that people should be going gung ho to these countries, but the point was people can travel to these countries if they want, it is no longer illegal. The language is strongly advisory against but people can travel without fines etc.

True - but I think the crux of it all for many people in the UK - that it will not be possible to get holiday insurance for amber list destinations (those which the FCDO advises against travelling to). As you said not illegal but the advice overall is do not travel for holidays

True - but I think the crux of it all for many people in the UK - that it will not be possible to get holiday insurance for amber list destinations (those which the FCDO advises against travelling to). As you said not illegal but the advice overall is do not travel.

I support this position, the government are correct to be discouraging holidays etc, but in Ireland we have gone too far. Giving fines to people for bringing children to see grand parents after the last 18 months we have had is wrong in my eyes. By all means advise them not to go, make them quarantine on return but don’t stop them going.

There will always be people who will go regardless of the guidance, I’m one of them, I’m going on the 28th June, I’ll quarantine on my return if that is still needed by then, but I really object to being the only country in Europe not allowing the reuniting of families as its non essential.

True - but I think the crux of it all for many people in the UK - that it will not be possible to get holiday insurance for amber list destinations (those which the FCDO advises against travelling to). As you said not illegal but the advice overall is do not travel for holidays

Yes agreed on the travel insurance, that will certainly stop a lot of people going if it was a regular thing that people, families got for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

The "travel insurance won't cover you" thing is a bit of a myth. A lot of papers reported on it as "your travel insurance might not cover you" and people decided to take that as fact.

I've traveled multiple times in the last year, and rang my travel insurance provider before doing so the first time and they told me I was covered. My girlfriend, whos with a different travel insurance provider, also rang hers before her first post-corona trip and was told she was covered.

Ah yet more Crystal ball speculation, misrepresentation and aspersions at posters you don't agree with Micky?

Afaik It's a discussion forum where we are asked to keep discussion out of the sewer. But yeah that kind of thing could described as 'condescending arrogant' or similar.

But no matter. Here's your :rolleyes: back.

I’m not sure why you stomped your feet and gave a big long shyte lecture on the dangers of travel toward the poster who is obviously worried about their job. The poster never said open the doors right up. End of July was mentioned.

Btw aren’t you involved in farming if my memory serves me correctly? I’m sure you’re doing ok during this pandemic nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Hah, living in wilful denial of Belfast

• Advertisement

Multipass wrote: »
    Hah, living in wilful denial of Belfast

I really dont understand this notion.

On that basis we should just copy all UK laws and scrap any that dont match up because 'hey, they will just travel anyway'

while we are at it, why dont we just legalise all the warped **** that happens in Thailand and African nagtions because of the underage sex tourists?

You are still committing a crime by going via Belfast and not following the mandated PCR / Quarantine requirements but we dont just abandon laws because some people avoid them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement