Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

What is your proof of being vaccinated? I'm obviously not saying you are not. I'm talking about the logistics. I mean how do you differentiate between an American who is vaccinated and one who is not but that says they are upon arrival because they know that that is the only way that they will be allowed enter?
    My friend in the US sent me a photo of her "appointment card" after receiving her first shot. It just had the date squiggled on it for her second appointment and she also had a generic sticker she could wear advertising that she had been vaccinated by that particular medical company - "I received my Covid vaccine at X".

Do they have any official certified register or database that they would share with the Irish authorities? I doubt it.

Also, you being vaccinated means that you can still carry the virus in. You need to be vaccinated and the people here also need to be vaccinated for people here to be safe.

Its all about the vaccines. Both coming in and especially here. Talk like lacking empathy or not being affected is irrelevant,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

saabsaab wrote: »
    Its all about the vaccines. Both coming in and especially here. Talk like lacking empathy or not being affected is irrelevant,

Thankfully posts like yours and along with others on here will be totally irrelevant in the coming months. You’ll be talking to yourselves as life gets back to normal. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Thankfully posts like yours and along with others on here will be totally irrelevant in the coming months. You’ll be talking to yourselves when life gets back to normal. :pac:

Mickey32, I post a bit on this thread. But I also take breaks. You might take breaks as well. I don't know. It could be coincidence but every time I look at the thread, you have a post on the last page or the second last page. You are entitled to do that of course. But if it is something that is upsetting you, it might be no harm to take an odd break until life does get back to normal. Which it will.

Mickey32, I post a bit on this thread. But I also take breaks. You might take breaks as well. I don't know. It could be coincidence but every time I look at the thread, you have a post on the last page or the second last page. You are entitled to do that of course. But if it is something that is upsetting you, it might be no harm to take an odd break until life does get back to normal. Which it will.

It’s not upsetting me at all to be honest. Some posts need to be called out on. That’s all really. They say the green cert is coming soon within the next couple of months. This place could become a happier as that process begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Thankfully posts like yours and along with others on here will be totally irrelevant in the coming months. You’ll be talking to yourselves as life gets back to normal. :pac:

All post will be irrelevant . Because of ......the vaccines.

• Advertisement

That’s true, will be nothing to bicker about :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It’s not upsetting me at all to be honest. Some posts need to be called out on. That’s all really. They say the green cert is coming soon within the next couple of months. This place could become a happier as that process begins.

Well I would say that everyone hopes the thread eventually dies due to it being no longer needed. Come the end of the Summer, or 2022 by the latest, I hope that travel is clear and doable for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I don't really see the relevance, your is more like whataboutism.
    Ireland relies far more on US tourists and US company investment than the other way around.
    US slowness to move on their travel guidance should have little to nothing to do with Irish government decisions

Except I didnt say it did.

And then of course for the important point where the CDC have placed Ireland on a Do Not travel List - many Americans simply won't travel here even when we open up that option.

But as you say "whataboutism" ...

ionnn wrote: »
    But why would we stop US citizens & permanent residents from entering Ireland if they are vaccinated? Irelands economy heavily depends on tourism from the US and I just don't see any logic in restricting that to people who are actually vaccinated, especially in the US where vaccines are available to anyone who wants one.

Whats with the things which were never said game tonight

Where was it stated that "we stop US citizens & permanent residents from entering Ireland if they are vaccinated?"

Again it relates to a potential large downturn in the number of US visitors coming here when we do open up.

We don't have all the chessboard moves ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Isn't it the case that people coming from the US who are fully vaccinated already do not need to do the hotel quarantine and can quarantine at home?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/travel_to_ireland_during_covid.html

That is what this link suggests

• Advertisement

The poster is well aware of the reasons that you have listed in your usual bot reply on the thread. It’s ok for posters to express their feelings and frustrations without having to read posts from people who constantly berate them with their lectures . It’s sad people lack any sort of empathy on these forums. People are genuinely having a hard time through this. But sure we all know you don’t give a toss because it’s clear none of this is affecting you. :rolleyes:A lot of people are missing their families.

I rest my case. See above. :rolleyes:

Mickey - That gets the most bizarre post of the day award I reckon.

What are you on. exactly about?

Bizarrely you think a factual statement about the US " Do not Travel: policy equates to amongst other things

• lecturing
    • showing lack of empathy
    • other posters not giving a "toss"
    • none of this effecting said poste.

Incorrect - 'cos thats simply attacking and berating other posters with whom you don't agree and nothing else.

If you really believe any poster here is a "bot" by accusations of same - then be so good to report it. Otherwise it simply smacks of not playing the ball.

Edit. I see your comment has already been called out by others for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It needs to be pointed out for the sake of clarity as it hasn't been made clear that the CDC 'do not travel' list is advisory. There is no fine, no penalties on travel whatsoever. Americans have been flooding into Greece since early May and being welcomed while infections continue to fall, making our travel restrictions a joke. The only thing falling here is numbers employed in tourism/aviation/associated industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jellies

gozunda wrote: »
    Except I didnt say it it did.

And then of course for the important point where the CDC have placed Ireland on a Do Not travel List - many Americans simply won't travel here even when we open up that option.

US/Mexico travel is at the same level as it was in 2019 (I know this from my work data). Mexico is at level 4 advisory from the CDC - the same as Ireland.
    The Caribbean is also doing well. The main reason is that Americans can't travel anywhere else and it is a "local" trip. So the CDC list seems to be advisory and not detering travel if the host country is open.

So my read of it is that a significant number of Americans would hop on a plane to Europe tomorrow if it is allowed. Travel to Europe is currently at -90% Vs 2019, so the initial wave might get it to -60% or -70% but this would still be significant and would save some folks jobs over the winter. Will take a number of years to get back to 2019 levels.

jellies wrote: »
    US/Mexico travel is at the same level as it was in 2019 (I know this from my work data). Mexico is at level 4 advisory from the CDC - the same as Ireland.
    The Caribbean is also doing well. The main reason is that Americans can't travel anywhere else and it is a "local" trip. So the CDC list seems to be advisory and not detering travel if the host country is open.

So my read of it is that a significant number of Americans would hop on a plane to Europe tomorrow if it is allowed. Travel to Europe is currently at -90% Vs 2019, so the initial wave might get it to -60% or -70% but this would still be significant and would save some folks jobs over the winter. Will take a number of years to get back to 2019 levels.

I can't find the link .- but it was a travel article discussing the likleyhood of people traveling from the US to level 4 " Do not Travel" destinations in Europe. They mentioned that as many EU countries (including Ireland) attract an older demographic of US tourists - some will be reluctant to travel especially where medical insurance and other issues may cost more as a result of the US travel embargos

I'll see if I can dig it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MrMiyagi12345

Question to the floor. Heading to the UK for a weekend at the end of next month. It seems like I won't need a test there but will need one coming back. Would it be possile to take a PCR test in Dublin before departure and use that as my test on returning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Question to the floor. Heading to the UK for a weekend at the end of next month. It seems like I won't need a test there but will need one coming back. Would it be possile to take a PCR test in Dublin before departure and use that as my test on returning?

I'd seriously consider belfast. 2 tests or more and it's rarely worth flying into dublin

The current requirement is to have a "negative / not detected result from a pre-departure COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours before their arrival in Ireland 

See.
    https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/great-britain/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Micky 32 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

In theory yes as long as you are certain you'll get over and back within 72 hours of the result. If your test expires at best you wont be allowed board at worst hotel prison for 2 weeks.

Meanwhile you can go via Belfast risk free . No PCR, no chance if being turned around or imprisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

There's no way certain posters will be able to go back to normal and just let this go, you can't live in a state of psychotic paranoia for the best part of 2 years and then just switch it off.

Btw have you heard people will likely need a booster top up shot every 12 months? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

If my wife has an appointment for a medical checkup, does that cover me and the children to travel??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They'll use every excuse in the book to keep people hemmed in. Sure didn't they only open the actual Passport office in early May when every other Govt dept has been open all year.

It will delight the 3 or 4 doom mongers on this thread who never want to go back to normal.

In that article it says
    The Government will retain the authority to control the conditions for entry, and will monitor the containment of the virus and the rate of vaccination before the scheme is commenced.

It’s the 2k fine for leaving “Mandatory Island Quarantine” I’m concerned about

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Tazz T wrote: »
    It needs to be pointed out for the sake of clarity as it hasn't been made clear that the CDC 'do not travel' list is advisory. There is no fine, no penalties on travel whatsoever. Americans have been flooding into Greece since early May and being welcomed while infections continue to fall, making our travel restrictions a joke. The only thing falling here is numbers employed in tourism/aviation/associated industries.

This pattern has held since last summer - the European countries with the biggest tourist inflows seem to always have some of the lowest infection rates. Touristy areas in them (Greek islands, Canaries, Balearics, Costa del Sol) seem to fare even better. Malta has opened up to tourists and has less than 10 cases per day on average, but hey, they vaccinated much faster than us despite also being EU, sneaky!

The infection hotspots generally seem to be industrial areas (Northern France, Northern Italy, Northern England) which does make you wonder if cultural and behavioral factors are more significant.

Wallander wrote: »
    This pattern has held since last summer - the European countries with the biggest tourist inflows seem to always have some of the lowest infection rates. Touristy areas in them (Greek islands, Canaries, Balearics, Costa del Sol) seem to fare even better. Malta has opened up to tourists and has less than 10 cases per day on average, but hey, they vaccinated much faster than us despite also being EU, sneaky!

The infection hotspots generally seem to be industrial areas (Northern France, Northern Italy, Northern England) which does make you wonder if cultural and behavioral factors are more significant.

Probably got more to do with testing, I doubt the Greek islands would have capacity to test every visitor last summer, they would have waited until their return home, to get a test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Valhallapt wrote: »
    In that article it says
    The Government will retain the authority to control the conditions for entry, and will monitor the containment of the virus and the rate of vaccination before the scheme is commenced.

It’s the 2k fine for leaving “Mandatory Island Quarantine” I’m concerned about
    Donnelly in Seanad today to extend Covid regs to Nov. So much for Varadkar saying 80% of pop would have a vaccine offer by end of June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement