Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jellies

gozunda wrote: »
    I can't find the link .- but it was a travel article discussing the likleyhood of people traveling from the US to level 4 " Do not Travel" destinations in Europe. They mentioned that as many EU countries (including Ireland) attract an older demographic of US tourists - some will be reluctant to travel especially where medical insurance and other issues may cost more as a result of the US travel embargos

I'll see if I can dig it out.

Don't doubt this for a minute.
    That's why travel will come back initially in a wave of pent up travel (business, family, very keen tourists) and after that will be slower. At the extreme I'd imagine there will be some people that never get on a plane again due to COVID anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Valhallapt wrote: »
    In that article it says
    The Government will retain the authority to control the conditions for entry, and will monitor the containment of the virus and the rate of vaccination before the scheme is commenced.

It’s the 2k fine for leaving “Mandatory Island Quarantine” I’m concerned about

Yeah all governments retain the authority to control the conditions of entry.

You know as well as everyone else that it'll go when this comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Donnelly in Seanad today to extend Covid regs to Nov. So much for Varadkar saying 80% of pop would have a vaccine offer by end of June.

Well as I understand it, that’s the ability to use an SI to for all emergency powers not necessarily the 2k departure tax, fingers crossed the fine is allowed to expire June 2nd, although I’m not confident of that happening

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Donnelly in Seanad today to extend Covid regs to Nov. So much for Varadkar saying 80% of pop would have a vaccine offer by end of June.

He wasn't extending covid regulations yesterday, what they did was extend the emergency legislation that underpins the SI.

Individual SI can lapse of their own accord or be extended, but yesterday just means the government don't have to go through the Dail each time they want to bring in a SI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Well as I understand it, that’s the ability to use an SI to for all emergency powers not necessarily the 2k departure tax, fingers crossed the fine is allowed to expire June 2nd, although I’m not confident of that happening

I would have hoped so but expect it will be end June. I must say I was amused listening to the Soc Dems and SF last week calling for greater supports for the airlines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

On the travel cert rollout in Ireland….

Examiner is reporting it will be rolled out end of July

Breakingnews.ie is reporting it will be mid July. (And they’re owned by the examiner!)

The indo is reporting it’s in jeopardy because of hse hack!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

In that article it says
    The Government will retain the authority to control the conditions for entry, and will monitor the containment of the virus and the rate of vaccination before the scheme is commenced.

It’s the 2k fine for leaving “Mandatory Island Quarantine” I’m concerned about

The 2k fine will have to be gone when the Green Cert comes in, I'm still hoping they won't renew it on 2nd June!

The retain authority line is more to do with the fact Ireland may insist on a PCR test for entry for unvaccinated and possibly even vaccinated arrivals, while in the rest of EU will more than likely be accepting antigen tests, most already accept the antigen tests for entry now. This may cause a lot of issues. A lot of people are getting stuck abroad because they are testing positive on PCR tests for a virus they had months ago but this is a good thing according to NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

faceman wrote: »

Breakingnews.ie is reporting it will be mid July. (And they’re owned by the examiner!)

Coalition of Confusion in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

The indo is an absolute rag. Worse than a red top.

They've a headline today saying (something like) "hospitalizations increase as fear of indian variant grows"

Implying of course a drastic uptick in hospitalizations in ireland as a direct result of the indian variant.

In the article itself however it says:
    -Hospitalisatons have increased from 124 to 127 over the course of 2 weeks
    -They note this is not a significant change and
    -State there is no known connection to the indian variant and people in hospital in ireland

Meanwhile a load of grannies will read that and go back to cowering indoors terrified to leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

So we are looking to potentially come to Ireland in August.
    My wife is fully vaccinated, I expect to be by then too - we are travelling from Spain, I know at the moment the MHQ is gone for Spain, but would we need PCR tests even though we will be vaccinated ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

TomSweeney wrote: »
    My wife is fully vaccinated, I expect to be by then too - we are travelling from Spain, I know at the moment the MHQ is gone for Spain, but would we need PCR tests even though we will be vaccinated ?

Honestly no one knows yet, we 'should' hopefully know Friday after the cabinet meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

TomSweeney wrote: »

If Holohan and NPHET don't change their decrees on travel then by August you'll need negative PCR's and 2 week hotel quarantine..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    If Holohan and NPHET don't change their decrees on travel then by August you'll need negative PCR's and 2 week hotel quarantine..

:o wouldn't surprise me if they added Spain to MHQ list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Wallander wrote: »
    This pattern has held since last summer - the European countries with the biggest tourist inflows seem to always have some of the lowest infection rates. Touristy areas in them (Greek islands, Canaries, Balearics, Costa del Sol) seem to fare even better. Malta has opened up to tourists and has less than 10 cases per day on average, but hey, they vaccinated much faster than us despite also being EU, sneaky!

The infection hotspots generally seem to be industrial areas (Northern France, Northern Italy, Northern England) which does make you wonder if cultural and behavioral factors are more significant.

I'd be more inclined to think it was seasonal factors. Hot weather. People outdoors. Regardless of what some will say, the virus does not do well at high temps, especially on surfaces heated by the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Tenzor07 wrote: »

If you are fully vaccinated no matter what country you are coming from you will not have to hotel quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jellies

pc7 wrote: »
    Honestly no one knows yet, we 'should' hopefully know Friday after the cabinet meet.

MM quoted in the Irish Times today.
    "We're not doing anything in a hurry here".
    "Steady as she goes"
    "Aviation would be slower to return than most European countries"
    "People just need to hold it...they have lost a lot of income".

So we have the Taoiseach who's income has not been impacted advised by medics and academics who's incomes have also not been impacted telling those who's livelihoods have been devasted and who will struggle to hold their jobs over the winter to "hold it".
    The guy couldn't lead his way out of a paper bag.

This is a good graphic showing Ireland as an outlier compared to other EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ngunners

This is a good graphic showing Ireland as an outlier compared to other EU countries.

That's good but not sure if the vaccination rates are up to date for Ireland? We're definitely lagging behind in the other areas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

ngunners wrote: »
    That's good but not sure if the vaccination rates are up to date for Ireland? We're definitely lagging behind in the other areas though.

Our vaccinations are in line with the other EU countries, it’s just the official stats haven’t been updated since the cyber attack

ngunners wrote: »

I think the hack has slowed them down publishing vaccination numbers. That’s said we were in the bottom half of the league table before the hack, probably suits the HSE to blame the hack for falling yet further behind

• Advertisement

Our vaccinations are in line with the other EU countries, it’s just the official stats haven’t been updated since the cyber attack

What numbers are you basing that off, ECDC had us well behind the likes of Germany before the hack?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

At this stage this nonsense of leaking half baked ideas and random dates is driving me demented. I understand that there are a number of complex factors in play regarding travel restrictions. That's fine, and reasonable.

However, in the past week we've heard leaks and speculation coming out from the Government varying between the start of July to mid-August. I can only presume at this stage that this is yet again the Government floating ideas out in the public to see what will be acceptable before they make their decision. I have pretty much accepted that it will be September before I get home for the first time since 2019. That's fine. But this utter garbage of floating random dates and ideas is ludicrous at this stage. If the government wants to close travel until the later end of August just tell people that and make a decision. If they want to open up in July just make a decision and tell people. Ultimately we are all adults and can understand much of the decision making, whether we agree with it or not. But we need to be treated with a modicum of respect and be told what the actual plan is, not through leaks and speculation, but by the Government themselves.

Most governments are being cautious about their plans. But this leaking nonsense, which has been going on with regards travel for months now, is a particularly Irish issue. There are of course leaks and speculation in other countries, but at least where I am on the continent it's at best a week before a major announcement, and generally pretty consistent in terms of dates, rules etc. The stuff out of the Irish Government is months long, inconsistent, and at odds with itself. We have Martin yesterday saying that it could be mid-July before indoor dining is resumed, yet today speculation foreign travel is allowed in mid-July. Maybe it's just me, but this seems contradictory. Just be honest and straight with people, the constant leaks and speculation are far more damaging than the fall out from telling people an uncomfortable truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

What numbers are you basing that off, ECDC had us well behind the likes of Germany before the hack?

We were ramping up very fast the week before the hack. Likely to have done around 300k last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Roderic O Gorman was on with CB this morning, seemed quite positive about the travel cert being up and running in July

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I think the hack has slowed them down publishing vaccination numbers. That’s said we were in the bottom half of the league table before the hack, probably suits the HSE to blame the hack for falling yet further behind

Makes Ireland look like some backwards little country which can't manage it's own affairs to a level you'd expect from a modern EU state with a healthcare system that has a €20 Billion Budget....

Now the Public and the 100's of thousands of people who work in Aviation and tourism are being made to suffer even longer because that multi-billion Euro government service has an outdated/obsolete I.T system with poor security controls....
    the computer systems underpinning the entire health service are down after an attack by international cyber criminals.

It is feared in Government that this will lead to delays in developing the systems needed to roll out vaccine passports.

“Everyone wants foreign travel to return but the HSE and the Department of Health are on their knees and there is no EU system we can just sign up to for the Green Certs. We are starting from scratch on this,” a senior Government source said.

As we're relying on the HSE to do this I think 2022 would be a more realistic time for foreign travel to and from Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Roderic O Gorman was on with CB this morning, seemed quite positive about the travel cert being up and running in July

With all the wildly differing commentary right now we're not going to know for sure anything til Friday and even then it'll be half-assed. I can see the 2k fine for non-essential being extended to the beginning of July. After that it doesn't really matter about the cert (as long as you're prepared to pay for PCRs).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I predict the travel announcement on travel will be pretty vague with no concrete dates and definitely no mention of the travel fine. They absolutely wont announce that they are removing that even if they do allow it to lapse. Which I doubt they will.

Seems pretty much the same across the few countries they have listed.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Seems pretty much the same across the few countries they have listed.

Yea everywhere open or near term dates set, except for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Yea everywhere open or near term dates set, except for Ireland.

Ah we are open pretty much and have dates for most things. The UK only opened indoor dining this week.
    We are there or thereabouts with the few listed countries.
    Wonder what about all the countries they didn't bother to list?
    Amazes me why people are always trying to put Ireland down, that we are somehow the worst place in the world!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement