Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

bubblypop wrote: »
    Ah we are open pretty much and have dates for most things. The UK only opened indoor dining this week.
    We are there or thereabouts with the few listed countries.
    Wonder what about all the countries they didn't bother to list?
    Amazes me why people are always trying to put Ireland down, that we are somehow the worst place in the world!!

With respect bubblypop, you always seem hell bent on talking Ireland up. And maybe that makes you feel better and fair enough. And I agree some posters here would drive you mad with the negativity.

But we all have to face reality and the reality is that Ireland is one of the worst places. Just look at the facts:

A draconian regime of travel restrictions, the strictest in the EU, which Ministers actually boast about.
    No clear road map for open up. Maybe Friday but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Non essential retail and hairdressers closed from October to May bar a 3 week window in December.
    No indoor dining until some time in July and that's only a maybe.
    Antigen testing frowned upon by NPHET.
    The Govt apparently in thrall to the extremely conservative NPHET.

Need I go on? Looks pretty bad from where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

Valhallapt wrote: »
    If my wife has an appointment for a medical checkup, does that cover me and the children to travel??

If I'm not mistaken I think it only covers you to travel with her, not the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jellies

With respect bubblypop, you always seem hell bent on talking Ireland up. And maybe that makes you feel better and fair enough. And I agree some posters here would drive you mad with the negativity.

But we all have to face reality and the reality is that Ireland is one of the worst places. Just look at the facts:

A draconian regime of travel restrictions, the strictest in the EU, which Ministers actually boast about.
    No clear road map for open up. Maybe Friday but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Non essential retail and hairdressers closed from October to May bar a 3 week window in December.
    No indoor dining until some time in July and that's only a maybe.
    Antigen testing frowned upon by NPHET.
    The Govt apparently in thrall to the extremely conservative NPHET.

Need I go on? Looks pretty bad from where I am.

Not having a go at the original poster but I couldn't agree more. Yesterday my daughter was moved by the guards with her four friends while sitting on a bench at the canal drinking coffee. I mean WTF is going on. It is a complete hysterical overreaction and overreach by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

jellies wrote: »
    Not having a go at the original poster but I couldn't agree more. Yesterday my daughter was moved by the guards with her four friends while sitting on a bench at the canal drinking coffee. I mean WTF is going on. It is a complete hysterical overreaction and overreach by the state.

Ugh... its just ridiculous....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

The whole place is gone hysterical, the UK now have the lowest death and infection levels in 14 months, but all we hear about are variants running rampant in the UK and how they theoretically might evade vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    The indo is an absolute rag. Worse than a red top.

They've a headline today saying (something like) "hospitalizations increase as fear of indian variant grows"

Implying of course a drastic uptick in hospitalizations in ireland as a direct result of the indian variant.

In the article itself however it says:
    -Hospitalisatons have increased from 124 to 127 over the course of 2 weeks
    -They note this is not a significant change and
    -State there is no known connection to the indian variant and people in hospital in ireland

Meanwhile a load of grannies will read that and go back to cowering indoors terrified to leave the house.

I'd agree.

Though tbf its not the "terrified grannies" who post these types tabloid style headlines in absolute hysterics that we're all going to be locked up forever or wtte.

Many of the 'leaks' mentioned on here and which many get irate over - are frequently little more than journalistic speculation based on the flimiseist of actual information.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Austria has banned direct flights with the UK over Indian variant. Are we going to have a summer of this now?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/may/25/coronavirus-live-news-calls-for-clarity-on-travel-restrictions-in-england-us-advises-against-travel-to-japan

Austria will ban direct flights from the UK from 1 June, and there are immediate restrictions on entry over concerns about the B.1.617.2 variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Does anyone know what the position is on kids and MHQ?

Our trip last year was transferred to this Summer. Looks like husband and I will be vaccinated but obviously not the 2 kids and we are supposed to go to France end of July.

My head is melted trying to decide what to do tbh... small problems I know I know. But if anyone had any insight I'd be thrilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Austria has banned direct flights with the UK over Indian variant. Are we going to have a summer of this now?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/may/25/coronavirus-live-news-calls-for-clarity-on-travel-restrictions-in-england-us-advises-against-travel-to-japan

Austria will ban direct flights from the UK from 1 June, and there are immediate restrictions on entry over concerns about the B.1.617.2 variant.

At least that's a restriction that makes some kind of sense - there is a variant of concern in the UK. Meanwhile in Ireland, we're pulling countries for MHQ out of a hat, took about two weeks to add India to our MHQ list despite things being out of control there, and don't seem particularly concerned about our open border with the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The whole place is gone hysterical, the UK now have the lowest death and infection levels in 14 months, but all we hear about are variants running rampant in the UK and how they theoretically might evade vaccine.

Breaking news has a story this morning about a variant in Japan that 'may have risks for vaccinated people'. They don't name the variant, but the Japan surge is currently down to the UK strain we had at Xmas - vaccines effective.

Awful reporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

ellee wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the position is on kids and MHQ?

Our trip last year was transferred to this Summer. Looks like husband and I will be vaccinated but obviously not the 2 kids and we are supposed to go to France end of July.

My head is melted trying to decide what to do tbh... small problems I know I know. But if anyone had any insight I'd be thrilled.

Don't make any decisions until MM makes the announcement on Friday. You're head will be melted with all the leaks! I'm booked myself for Spain for August, like that, myself and husband will likely be vaccinated but kids won't.

The EU Digital Covid Passport will come into effect in a few weeks, I think and this is only my guesstimation that MHQ will go for EU countries. But it may keep for other countries. Not a hope the UK will be on it because of politics and the CTA. Kids will need the digital cert, to get it they need either a PCR within 72hr or Antigen within 24hr. If any EU country tries to put on any other restrictions they need to inform the EU clearly why they think they should. I am hoping that Antigen will suffice for kids to travel but I have a sneaky suspicion that Ireland will require PCR because of our close ties to the UK.

So hold steady till Friday, have a glass of wine in hand to steady the nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Sheesh, you are so right, thank you!

Klonker wrote: »
    The 2k fine will have to be gone when the Green Cert comes in, I'm still hoping they won't renew it on 2nd June!

The retain authority line is more to do with the fact Ireland may insist on a PCR test for entry for unvaccinated and possibly even vaccinated arrivals, while in the rest of EU will more than likely be accepting antigen tests, most already accept the antigen tests for entry now. This may cause a lot of issues. A lot of people are getting stuck abroad because they are testing positive on PCR tests for a virus they had months ago but this is a good thing according to NPHET.

Where is your source that most of the "EU will more than likely be accepting antigen tests,"?

Many countries in the EU are still using PCR tests as a requirement for entry. Some require either PCR or Antigen. I really don't see that situation changing in the short-term.

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021/01/25/what-s-the-latest-on-european-travel-restrictions

Also you say

"A lot of people are getting stuck abroad because they are testing positive on PCR tests for a virus they had months ago"

"A lot of people"? Could you quantity 'a lot"?

Afaik current research indicates that approx 18% of people test positive on PCR tests due to prior infections.

So the percentage of people who are currently travelling being affected by this should be even lower again presuming not everyone who travels will have had a prior infection etc.

I suspect there are some who may be using this issue as an excuse as to why they shouldn't be stopped from travelling after being infected whilst abroad.

This is supported by the fact that many travellers to date have had to present a negative PCR on entry to these countries. A bit odd that the PCR test doesn't indicate that they are positive on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It might be wise to get kids PCR tested five weeks before travel. That way if they test positive they will (probably) satisfy the requirements for travel (positive test>28 days previous) and (probably) don't need any subsequent tests.

Note that it's not currently possible to get under 16s PCR tested in the walk-in centres, you need a GP referral.

I'm sure I can keep mine isolated for a couple of weeks before travel, but that's no use if the PCR is going to pick up RNA fragments from an infection further back.

gozunda wrote: »
    Where is your source that most if the "EU will more than likely be accepting antigen tests,"?

Many countries in the EU are still using PCR tests as a requirement for entry. I really don't see that changing in the short-term.

Also you say

"A lot of people are getting stuck abroad because they are testing positive on PCR tests for a virus they had months ago"

Afaik current research indicates that approx 18% of people overall test positive on PCR tests overall due to prior infections.

So the percentage of people who are currently travelling being affected by this should be even lower again presuming not everyone who travels will have had a prior infection etc.

I suspect there are some who may be using this issue as an excuse as to why they shouldn't be stopped from travelling after being infected whilst abroad.

This is supported by the fact that many travellers to date have had to present a negative PCR on entry to these countries. A bit odd that the same PCR tests doesn't indicate that they are positive on arrival.

I have one friend who went to her holiday home in Spain. She had already had COVID here in Ireland. She went for her PCR test and it came up positive. So she went to another provider because she needed a negative test and that one came up negative. So not only did the PCR testing give an incorrect result it was also inconsistent.

Sample of one but doesn't support your hypothesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have one friend who went to her holiday home in Spain. She had already had COVID here in Ireland. She went for her PCR test and it came up positive. So she went to another provider because she needed a negative test and that one came up negative. So not only did the PCR testing give an incorrect result it was also inconsistent.

I don't see the inconsistency with gozunda's statement that "current research indicates that approx 18% of people overall test positive on PCR tests overall due to prior infections."

There will be edge cases that can test either way.

Where is the cheapest place to get a pcr test?

What I would say about your friends experience
    Is that - where there are inconsistent results from different testing companies - then that should be investigated for sure.

It remains approx only 18% of people will show positive results on prior infections and that figure decreases over time from when a person was originally infected.

So overall it shouldn't be a issue for the absolute majority of people travelling.

Is that - where there are inconsistent results from different testing companies - then that should be investigated for sure.

It remains approx only 18% of people will show positive results on prior infections and that figure decreases over time from when a person was originally infected.

So overall it shouldn't be a issue for the absolute majority of people travelling.

Only 18% of tests are wrong...... so a family of 5 only have to leave one child at the airport.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Where is your source that most of the "EU will more than likely be accepting antigen tests,"?

Many countries in the EU are still using PCR tests as a requirement for entry. Some require either PCR or Antigen. I really don't see that situation changing in the short-term.

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021/01/25/what-s-the-latest-on-european-travel-restrictions

Also you say

Afaik current research indicates that approx 18% of people test positive on PCR tests due to prior infections.

This is supported by the fact that many travellers to date have had to present a negative PCR on entry to these countries. A bit odd that the PCR test doesn't indicate that they are positive on arrival.

Can you quantify what you mean by "short-term" please ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Randox €89

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I thought the walk in test centres were free of charge?

Only 18% of tests are wrong...... so a family of 5 only have to leave one child at the airport.....

Well no - that's 18% of people who have already been infected ...

https://www.healio.com/news/primary-care/20201112/some-patients-test-positive-for-sarscov2-after-recovery-few-may-be-infectious

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

The biggest issue for me will be returning to Ireland. So if we come home from Spain/Greece/Portugal are fully vaccinated etc will we still have to quarantine on return. Bear in mind also the restrictions that are on all state employees currently. All that stuff needs to go.

Cillian De Gascun's comments below would make me nervous if I was relying on it to get home. Particularly with a family where the probability of one bad test in the group increases. And if you have already had COVID then it is just not a very useful test at all...who is going to take a 1 in 5 chance of a false positive?

"
    Whilst PCR is exquisitely sensitive and remains the current gold-standard for diagnosing #SARSCoV 2 infection, it has some limitations. For example, it does not distinguish between viable virus and non-infectious RNA. 24/n
    Cillian De Gascun
    @CillianDeGascun
    ·
    Sep 13, 2020
    This can be challenging for the management of some individuals infected with #SARSCoV2, as RNA can remain detectable – albeit at low levels – for a number of weeks, and sometimes months, following the original infection. 25/n
    Cillian De Gascun
    @CillianDeGascun
    ·
    Sep 13, 2020
    In addition, PCR assays may generate ‘non-specific’ or ‘false positive’ results. These are uncommon, occurring at a rate of somewhere in the region of 1-3%. However, the larger the number of tests that is performed, the larger the number of false positive results. 26/n

"

josip wrote: »
    Can you quantify what you mean by "short-term" please ?

Next couple of months.
    Cillian De Gascun's comments below would make me nervous if I was relying on it to get home. Particularly with a family where the probability of one bad test in the group increases. And if you have already had COVID then it is just not a very useful test at all...who is going to take a 1 in 5 chance of a false positive?

"
    Whilst PCR is exquisitely sensitive and remains the current gold-standard for diagnosing #SARSCoV 2 infection, it has some limitations. For example, it does not distinguish between viable virus and non-infectious RNA. 24/n
    Cillian De Gascun
    @CillianDeGascun
    ·
    Sep 13, 2020
    This can be challenging for the management of some individuals infected with #SARSCoV2, as RNA can remain detectable – albeit at low levels – for a number of weeks, and sometimes months, following the original infection. 25/n
    Cillian De Gascun
    @CillianDeGascun
    ·
    Sep 13, 2020
    In addition, PCR assays may generate ‘non-specific’ or ‘false positive’ results. These are uncommon, occurring at a rate of somewhere in the region of 1-3%. However, the larger the number of tests that is performed, the larger the number of false positive results. 26/n

"

Again that relates only to those who genuinely have had a prior infection. Not "one in five" of the entire population.

And as detailed above false positives are very rare.

https://www.healio.com/news/primary-care/20201112/some-patients-test-positive-for-sarscov2-after-recovery-few-may-be-infectious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

kilns wrote: »
    I thought the walk in test centres were free of charge?

They only send you a text message confirming positive or negative. no use when travelling abroad, you need something more official

Oh so families getting covid isn’t a thing? All the warnings Tony gave about household outbreaks was not true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Actually gosafe are offering PCR for €79.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement

Oh so families getting covid isn’t a thing? All the warnings Tony gave about household outbreaks was not true?

And again award for "Things never said" ' goes to Valhallapt :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement