Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

kilns wrote: »
    Do you concede that if Ireland allows free movement between the UK and Ireland then the variant argument used to stop travel from any other country is dead in the water (or air if you like )

Well the comment referred to a report from the daily mail. But yeah it most likley will happen at some point and MHQ will most likely be wound down.

That said the news from the UK seems to be good in that they seem to be actively managing the strain there. I suppose time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

gozunda wrote: »
    Well the comment referred to a report from the daily mail.
    But yeah it most likley will happen at some point and MHQ will most likely be wound down.

That said the news from the UK seems to be good in that they seem to be actively managing the strain there. I suppose time will tell.

ok, no need to answer the question that was ask....

jellies wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying, was not aware of that.
    Even at .2% seems like a recipe for lots of hard cases due to false positives at scale. Plus asymptomatic people which fall into the 18%.

No worries. But 0.2% is the highest possible rate - so yeah fairly miniscule when gauged against the number who test positive overall and of that number those that actually travel and of that the 0 - 0.2 % who actually get a false positive.

It's not something I would be unduly worried about. I reckon the same applies to the 18% of people who get a positive result from a prior infection especially where the absolute majority of people travelling from Ireland haven't had a prior infection

With respect bubblypop, you always seem hell bent on talking Ireland up. And maybe that makes you feel better and fair enough. And I agree some posters here would drive you mad with the negativity.

But we all have to face reality and the reality is that Ireland is one of the worst places. Just look at the facts:

A draconian regime of travel restrictions, the strictest in the EU, which Ministers actually boast about.
    No clear road map for open up. Maybe Friday but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Non essential retail and hairdressers closed from October to May bar a 3 week window in December.
    No indoor dining until some time in July and that's only a maybe.
    Antigen testing frowned upon by NPHET.
    The Govt apparently in thrall to the extremely conservative NPHET.

Need I go on? Looks pretty bad from where I am.

Can't believe this negative rubbish got so many thanks!
    I can only assume that most posters on here are of the mind that we shouldn't have done anything different to normal when the pandemic hit!!

I personally am not a fan of lockdowns at all, but I'm not blind to everything that we had to do and that other countries did too. We are not the worst country, far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

bubblypop wrote: »
    Can't believe this negative rubbish got so many thanks!
    I can only assume that most posters on here are of the mind that we shouldn't have done anything different to normal when the pandemic hit!!

I personally am not a fan of lockdowns at all, but I'm not blind to everything that we had to do and that other countries did too. We are not the worst country, far from it.

Maybe my post got a lot of thanks because it has a ring of truth. Your churlish reply does not strengthen your own argument that Ireland is not the worst country. I'm sorry but I suspect you of denial syndrome.

Also very churlish to accuse all posters who disagree with you as being some sort of "let it rip" enthusiasts. I don't know these posters so I can't speak for them but I personally supported and obeyed restrictions and made it my business not to catch or spread Covid and thankfully was successful in my efforts. But certainly at this point the cure is worse than the disease and I feel very strongly that Ireland is much too cautious and many are suffering unnecessarily as a result. By that I refer to the severed families unable to reunite and the huge damage to livelihoods dependent on our tourism and aviation sectors.

• Advertisement

ok, no need to answer the question that was ask....

I did. I think you mean you didn't like the answer given. But no matter.

Delta have just canned all their Ireland USA flights for the forseeable future. Pain in the a**. Heading over in July and have to re-book them all now through a European hub and add hours to the trip

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted and one poster banned

Discuss the topic, and not other users

Delta have just canned all their Ireland USA flights for the forseeable future. Pain in the a**. Heading over in July and have to re-book them all now through a European hub and add hours to the trip

Have you a link to the announcement woody?

Have you a link to the announcement woody?

no, just my cancelled flight email just now and no flights in or out of ireland to change on to until September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ionnn

Looks like some common sense and pragmatism is finally starting to be applied here. Eamon Ryan announced that its unreasonable to ask fully vaccinated people to wait for Green Cert to become operational, and sounding like they might open this up soon. I think the government realizes that if they wait till mid-aug to reopen travel for vaccinated people the damage will be severe

I can't post links, but its an article on the journal

ionnn wrote: »
    Looks like some common sense and pragmatism is finally starting to be applied here. Eamon Ryan announced that its unreasonable to ask fully vaccinated people to wait for Green Cert to become operational, and sounding like they might open this up soon. I think the government realizes that if they wait till mid-aug to reopen travel for vaccinated people the damage will be severe

I can't post links, but its an article on the journal

Yes the independent have it also with a very mis leading headline. Such gutter journalism

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Yes the independent have it also with a very mis leading headline. Such gutter journalism

The Independent headline is actually incredible. It's either one or a combination of the following with that rag these days:

1.) Rank bad journalism
    2.) Desperation for clicks
    3.) Someone's in bed/married/related/owes money to an ISAG member

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

jellies wrote: »
    I have one friend who went to her holiday home in Spain. She had already had COVID here in Ireland. She went for her PCR test and it came up positive. So she went to another provider because she needed a negative test and that one came up negative. So not only did the PCR testing give an incorrect result it was also inconsistent.

Sample of one but doesn't support your hypothesis.

My aunt in hospital tested positive for a full month. She had no symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

The Irish Times have quite a misleading headline also:

EU permit on air travel may not be in general use until August – Ryan

However in the article:

Ireland is expected to implement the EU green digital certificate in mid-July but Mr Ryan suggested it might not be fully operational across Europe until the following month.

“Given that the digital green certificate might not be in widespread use until at least mid-August, it would not seem reasonable to expect fully vaccinated people to wait for the digital green certificate before allowing freedom from current pre-arrival PCR and quarantine requirements,” said Mr Ryan.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/eu-permit-on-air-travel-may-not-be-in-general-use-until-august-ryan-1.4575130

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Tazz T wrote: »
    With all the wildly differing commentary right now we're not going to know for sure anything til Friday and even then it'll be half-assed. I can see the 2k fine for non-essential being extended to the beginning of July. After that it doesn't really matter about the cert (as long as you're prepared to pay for PCRs).

But the PCR tests, are they planning on continuing this nonsense for vaccinated travellers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

TomSweeney wrote: »
    But the PCR tests, are they planning on continuing this nonsense for vaccinated travellers ?

See my post just above, it would appear not.

I remember seeing a report last week that you would only need 1 vaccine dose for the EU green cert. Is this confirmed? Does anyone know if Switzerland is included? I would imagine so since they're in Schengen although I haven't seen any mention of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Unless it is a political maneuver to put pressure on the government, this is terrible news for connectivity. Not easy to get those direct connections back once they are gone. Same for all the other airlines who are running at limited direct flights to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Unless it is a political maneuver to put pressure on the government, this is terrible news for connectivity. Not easy to get those direct connections back once they are gone. Same for all the other airlines who are running at limited direct flights to Ireland.

All those will be harmful for investment, jobs and tourism. Short sighted given that we will be nearly fully vaccinated in 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Looks like there may be a bit more movement from the EU against travel restrictions (no details yet). De Croo is Belgium's PM:

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1397264442690256899

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1397308221015142408?s=21

“Within a week of launch” well this is a positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Mark1916 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1397308221015142408?s=21

“Within a week of launch” well this is a positive!

Jesus and by a government politician on Prime Time. He'll be getting a rap on the knuckles for that :)

Clearly I hope he is correct of course

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

All those will be harmful for investment, jobs and tourism. Short sighted given that we will be nearly fully vaccinated in 6 weeks.

Especially short sighted if the delay from the government from laying out a roadmap was unnecessary government posturing to get people to staycation or holding off until the optics were better to provide a timeline to open up for foreign travel.

Foxtrol wrote: »

Yes, it’s doubled my journey time. Have to go through Amsterdam now.....nothing quite lifts the soul like a 2 hour flight in the opposite direction to where you want to go

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jellies

Some positive noises on lifting travel restrictions from the states. This would be great news.

Reuters.com

"The administration has been holding extensive meetings about relaxing some of those travel restrictions, officials have told Reuters, but made no decisions.

Industry officials think Biden could lift restriction on the United Kingdom and Ireland as soon as early June. COVID-19 cases in both countries have declined.

Roger Dow, president and CEO of the U.S. Travel Association, told Reuters "the UK is the furthest along. Our belief is, if we can open UK, the rest follows."

Airlines are also pressing for reopening international markets, which are among their most profitable flights. United Airlines, Delta Air Lines and American Airlines are preparing for a lifting of European travel restrictions this summer.

"We need to open up international markets," Nick Calio, who heads industry trade group Airlines for America, said at the event.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

If there's one things I’ve learned is that Mr Ryan only interest is bums on seats and looking after himself.

If he said water was wet I'd do a double check that to make sure.

I find the threat that he'll move lock stock and barrel to the UK etc etc interesting considering the criticism he's been leveling at the UK over its own travel restrictions and government policy and pushing sales despite regardless

https://www.aerospace-technology.com/comment/travel-amber-list-not-encouraged/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ionnn

If there's one things I’ve learned is that Mr Ryan only interest is bums on seats and looking after himself.

I think that’s the entire point though is it not? These companies care about their shareholders above all else, and if we continue down this road they will make the business decisions that will least impact them, but cause huge damage to our economy long term.

Always going to be a level of risk in life, but we have to be pragmatic and logical with our risk tolerance and management when it comes to government policy, it can’t be the status quo today where any public health risk regardless of how small is enough to justify destroying an entire industries future here, not to mention long term damage to foreign direct investment which Ireland depends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mantus

At least he is consistent unlike our flip flop politicians

• Advertisement

VG31 wrote: »
    See my post just above, it would appear not.

I remember seeing a report last week that you would only need 1 vaccine dose for the EU green cert. Is this confirmed? Does anyone know if Switzerland is included? I would imagine so since they're in Schengen although I haven't seen any mention of it.

Here in Switzerland, it has not been fully agreed yet but they will be 100% part of the EU system as soon as it kicks off. The certificate will be produced from June 7. The certificate here will also be used for other things in Switzerland, they have 3 levels of events, which the level 3 events being things like indoor concerts and and you will need to produce your code to gain entry to prove your vaccination status. Level 1 is what is currently open, like shops and indoor dining etc where you wont need to produce any code.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement