Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Mantus wrote: »
    At least he is consistent unlike our flip flop politicians

He is in business and has been very successful. On balance through employment and tax revenues and tourism and consumer choice Ireland has benefitted from Ryanair.

But don’t worry the people who called for MHQ will be the same ones giving out about the unemployment situation and increased fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

At least he is consistent unlike our flip flop politicians

Haha - you reckon :pac:

He's flip flopped more ofter than fish on a hot pavement.

Not long ago he was making all kinds of dire threats about the UK if Brexit went ahead and now he's back in love with Boris because travel restrictions are being rolled back despite slaming the UK for its restrictions to date

That said seemed happy enough implementing pay cuts and accessing government support schemes, including those here and in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mantus

gozunda wrote: »
    Haha - you reckon :pac:

He's flip flopped more ofter than fish on a hot pavement.

Not long ago he was making all kinds of dire threats about the UK if Brexit went ahead and now he's back in love with Boris because travel restrictions are being rolled back despite slaming the UK for its restrictions to date

He gets a bad rep, and honestly a lot of it is deserved. But we’re an island and our economy needs his cheap flights, Ireland would be a poorer place without Ryanair.

That said seemed happy enough implementing pay cuts and accessing government support schemes, including those here and in the UK.

Ryanair took PUP or EWSS, but every business that was closed did, only alternative was to fire staff.

Ryanair is one of the only airlines in Europe not to take a bail out. They took at loan from the UK government which was open to all businesses, no special treatment

He gets a bad rep, and honestly a lot of it is deserved. But we’re an island and our economy needs his cheap flights, Ireland would be a poorer place without Ryanair.

I agree. Atm he's threatening Ireland with moving to the UK over travel restrictions. Previously he was threatening the UK that he would relocate to the EU over brexit if it went ahead.

https://www.giambronelaw.com/site/news-articles-press/giambrone-brexit/ryanair-suspends-flights-brexit/

But he comes out with this rubbish on a regular basis because he knows headlines and column inches even mean more sales - even to places people can't travel to atm.

https://www.aerospace-technology.com/comment/travel-amber-list-not-encouraged/

• Advertisement

But he comes out with this rubbish on a regular basis because he knows headlines and column inches even mean more sales

I don’t disagree, he shoots from the hip.

But he threatened revenue before about reflagging planes if they didn’t fix a double taxation problem with crew. Revenue call his bluff and he moved all the planes to Malta, lots of tax lost in that move.

So yea he’s a bit of a maveric, but calling his bluff and getting it wrong is bad for this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

How much are fares expected to rise by ?
    are we talking doubling trebling ? or just adding a few % ... I know I know how long is a piece of string and all ...

Ryanair took PUP or EWSS, but every business that was closed did, only alternative was to fire staff.

Ryanair is one of the only airlines in Europe not to take a bail out. They took at loan from the UK government which was open to all businesses, no special treatment

They did indeed.. But then every other business hasn't been screaming that they're going to throw the toys out of the pram if they don't get they want ASAP.

As for bailouts. I think the issue was that Ryanair as a non state airline didn't qualify and has been waging a war and legal challenges especially in those countries where there's competition

https://www.euronews.com/2021/04/14/european-court-of-justice-rules-against-ryanair-over-airlines-covid-bailouts

https://fortune.com/2021/05/19/ryanair-legal-victories-fight-against-europe-airline-bailouts/
    According to Ryanair, it was unfair and illegal for European governments to grant aid to their national flag carriers—in many cases a source of national pride as well as being economically important—but not to other airlines that also contribute to their economies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If there's one things I’ve learned is that Mr Ryan only interest is bums on seats and looking after himself.

If he said water was wet I'd do a double check that to make sure.

I find the threat that he'll move lock stock and barrel to the UK etc etc interesting considering the criticism he's been leveling at the UK over its own travel restrictions and government policy and pushing sales despite regardless

https://www.aerospace-technology.com/comment/travel-amber-list-not-encouraged/

It’s Mr. O’Leary not Mr. Ryan :p

He’s a business man not head of charity, of course he’s interested in the bottom line.

He won’t relocate the business to the U.K. but he is and has already located plane to other countries. Spain has 3 new domestic flights that were launched this year for example.

That being said, Ryanair have increased capacity on some Irish router from June. The Alicante Dublin route for example has been once a week up to now but jumps to 4 flights a week in June. (Pre covid it was daily with twice daily during the summer)

In the absence of a reopening plan, businesses have been forced to rethink their models. International business will just move where customers are.

Aer Lingus have been doing the same. They’ve been a little quieter about it until recently because they receive state supports but obviously they’re losing so much cash that IAG need to move on.

Another poster has already mentioned Delta have stopped flying to Ireland.

We’re a tiny insignificant island on the Atlantic. Above any other European country we need air connectivity

They did indeed.. But then every other business hasn't been screaming that their going to throw the toys out of the pram if they don't get they want ASAP.

Restaurant and pub owners don’t have the option of moving their pubs to Belfast. Like Ryanair or not they are a big employer and at a whim can reduce their fleet and fire employees.

There is a vacuum created with the collapse of Norwegian, Irish planes could be moved onto those routes.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    It’s Mr. O’Leary not Mr. Ryan :p

He’s a business man not head of charity, of course he’s interested in the bottom line.

He won’t relocate the business to the U.K. but he is and has already located plane to other countries. Spain has 3 new domestic flights that were launched this year for example.

That being said, Ryanair have increased capacity on some Irish router from June. The Alicante Dublin route for example has been once a week up to now but jumps to 4 flights a week in June. (Pre covid it was daily with twice daily during the summer)

In the absence of a reopening plan, businesses have been forced to rethink their models. International business will just move where customers are.

Aer Lingus have been doing the same. They’ve been a little quieter about it until recently because they receive state supports but obviously they’re losing so much cash that IAG need to move on.

Another poster has already mentioned Delta have stopped flying to Ireland.

We’re a tiny insignificant island on the Atlantic. Above any other European country we need air connectivity

I know ;)

That was just a literal device lol. But as to the original point - most of whats said is hot air and the usual spoofing tbf. And yet still makes headlines

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ireland to end two week quarantine for UK visitors, tourism Ireland to start advertising vacations in Ireland from Britain.

Claiming the UK flight will not have to quarantine from the end of this week:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/ireland-quarantine-uk-travel-end-b937045.html

Any truth to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ireland to end two week quarantine for UK visitors, tourism Ireland to start advertising vacations in Ireland from Britain.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/ireland-quarantine-uk-travel-end-b937045.html

Any truth to that?

your guess is as good as anyone else.

I'd tend to give a large pinch of salt to any reports that come from the UK regarding Ireland

I'd tend to give a large pinch of salt to any reports that come from the UK regarding Ireland

This. Bit like the media story which ran in the UK back in March about plans to supply Ireland with 3.7 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines, which then grew legs and was being reported here as fact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Any truth to that?

The Daily Mail ran with that story yesterday also

If it were the case, all this talk about the worries of the Indian variant will make them look like fools

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Yeah, I'd be amazed if that report turns out to be accurate. I've been critical of the government's inconsistency recently but even I couldn't see them being daft enough to completely do away with quarantine requirements and actively promote tourism from a country where the Indian variant is spreading while maintaining MHQ for other countries due to concern about variants. It would completely undermine the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Any truth to that?

It should be completely scrapped on the 7th of June, creating a massive barrier like that with our closest neighbor is just civil servants gone power mad, expecting families and business people quarantine for 2 weeks is Zero Covid/ISAG influence to the extreme...

Especially pointless when anyone from the UK can fly/car ferry into Belfast and come down south...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It should be completely scrapped on the 7th of June, creating a massive barrier like that with our closest neighbor is just civil servants gone power mad, expecting families and business people to pay up to €2000 to sit in a shabby hotel for 2 weeks is Zero Covid/ISAG influence to the extreme...

Especially pointless when anyone from the UK can fly/car ferry into Belfast and come down south...

Except there isn't MHQ from the UK so our closest neighbors aren't paying €2000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Yeah, I'd be amazed if that report turns out to be accurate. I've been critical of the government's inconsistency recently but even I couldn't see them being daft enough to completely do away with quarantine requirements and actively promote tourism from a country where the Indian variant is spreading while maintaining MHQ for other countries due to concern about variants. It would completely undermine the message.

It would be contrary to gov policy to not expect some 'daftness' to be revealed in the approach on Friday, whether it is to let brits in (but not let us travel to the EU), keep the 2k fine in place, or keep PCRs for ingoing and outgoing travellers once the cert is in place.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It should be completely scrapped on the 7th of June, creating a massive barrier like that with our closest neighbor is just civil servants gone power mad, expecting families and business people to pay up to €2000 to sit in a shabby hotel for 2 weeks is Zero Covid/ISAG influence to the extreme...

What civil servant has made these decisions?

• Advertisement

Except there isn't MHQ from the UK so our closest neighbors aren't paying €2000

Updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bellmeister

Perhaps Ireland has come to the sensible conclusion the the Indian variant is already in Ireland, the north had a fair number of cases, the vaccines have been confirmed as providing protection against the indian variant and britain has controls in place to protect from other variants. If you pay attention to what is happening in the Uk rather than being point scoring Ireland vs UK then you would see they have started to accept there will be infections and get on with life. Ireland has to do the same and opening travel to britain is a logical 1st step in terms of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Tazz T wrote: »
    It would be contrary to gov policy to not expect some 'daftness' to be revealed in the approach on Friday, whether it is to let brits in (but not let us travel to the EU), keep the 2k fine in place, or keep PCRs for ingoing and outgoing travellers once the cert is in place.

Its the last one I think they'll do.

Open up, use the vaccine certs to allow you to travel "without restrictions" throughout Europe but continue insisting on a PCR test when coming back to Ireland - regardless of vaccine status.

I have no proof of this whatsoever, but their current reluctance to do anything travel related is hinting this to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jellies

Perhaps Ireland has come to the sensible conclusion the the Indian variant is already in Ireland, the north had a fair number of cases, the vaccines have been confirmed as providing protection against the indian variant and britain has controls in place to protect from other variants. If you pay attention to what is happening in the Uk rather than being point scoring Ireland vs UK then you would see they have started to accept there will be infections and get on with life. Ireland has to do the same and opening travel to britain is a logical 1st step in terms of travel.

Agreed. European and US travel are also critical and there should be no foot dragging. The cure has been worse then the disease for quite a while now so about time the government started playing catch up. If I was on their PR side I would be emphasizing the huge success of the vaccine roll-out which has enabled us to rapidly open up and catch up with our UK and European neighbours. So they have a narrow window of opportunity to turn the whole narrative around. They can also turn the tables on the zero COVID crowd in the soc dems and SF. Am hopeful but with MM in charge wouldn't put it past them to completely miss the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Its the last one I think they'll do.

Open up, use the vaccine certs to allow you to travel "without restrictions" throughout Europe but continue insisting on a PCR test when coming back to Ireland - regardless of vaccine status.

I have no proof of this whatsoever, but their current reluctance to do anything travel related is hinting this to me.

When voting on the green cert Ireland amongst others were not happy about it been issued to people who only received one shot of a vaccine.
    This is why countries are aloud to put some of there own added buffers to the cert.
    Ireland will probably require a pcr test if you have received only one shot.

ZX7R wrote: »
    When voting on the green cert Ireland amongst others were not happy about it been issued to people who only received one shot of a vaccine.
    This is why countries are aloud to put some of there own added buffers to the cert.
    Ireland will probably require a pcr test if you have received only one shot.

Yea utter s h one t, if you've had 1 of 2 doses then you shouldn't have to go looking for a pricey PCR.... If we're to get the economy restarted then rapid antigen tests should be used, we've a €20 billion healthservice in a 1st world economy, time to use it all..

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

I note Germany's infection rate appears to be coming down below Ireland's per capita. Italy's also. Poland's is now well below. UK has been well below for ages.

The argument we have heard previously that Ireland needs to shield itself from its neighbours due to an extremely low infection rate is no longer valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Wallander wrote: »
    I note Germany's infection rate appears to be coming down below Ireland's per capita. Italy's also. Poland's is now well below. UK has been well below for ages.

The argument we have heard previously that Ireland needs to shield itself from its neighbours due to an extremely low infection rate is no longer valid.

Where did you see that? Last week's EU/EEA data has them coming down but still higher than Ireland (Germany with twice the incidence). https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

The figures will be updated tomorrow, but if you have updated figures, it would be interesting to see them.

Edit: that doesn't show the UK figures, which are definitely lower than Ireland, as you said. They also have far more vaccinated.

ionnn wrote: »
    I think that’s the entire point though is it not? These companies care about their shareholders above all else, and if we continue down this road they will make the business decisions that will least impact them, but cause huge damage to our economy long term.

Always going to be a level of risk in life, but we have to be pragmatic and logical with our risk tolerance and management when it comes to government policy, it can’t be the status quo today where any public health risk regardless of how small is enough to justify destroying an entire industries future here, not to mention long term damage to foreign direct investment which Ireland depends

Except its not "any public health risk regardless of how small"

Its a pandemic. And even the UK - who are way ahead of us with regards to vaccinations and many other countries have only started bringing back non essential international travel.

But nooo - according to O'Leary we must concede to his demands asap.

And yes I do agree that airlines and international travel are very important to us. But the fact is restrictions on travel remain for most countries atm for what is now looking like the short term. But it certainly doesn't mean we have to roll over everytime O'Leary tell us to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Hi all,
    I'll be travelling to the UK in early June (essential travel) for two days. I will be taking the ferry to Holyhead and driving to Oxford.

As far as I'm aware, I don't need a negative Covid PCR test to enter the UK, but I'll need one taken within the previous 72 hours to re-enter Ireland. Am I correct?

Finally, do I need to complete a Passenger Locator Form prior to travel in either direction?

TIA

E.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement