Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭beachhead

dfa.ie for info on this side,fco.gov.uk for info on the UK side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

You don't need a test before going to UK. But you can double check gov.uk in case anything has changed.

At the moment, coming from UK to Ireland, you have to have a negative PCR test (from private supplier, not NHS) within 72 hours of arriving in Ireland, fill out the passenger location form before the flight and then home quarantine for 14 days.

You can get a PCR test (at walk in test centre for example) no less than 5 days after arrival into Ireland and once it's negative, then you can come out of quarantine.

However I believe Irish government are set to announce scrapping the above from July onwards to encourage tourism. It's only been picked up by a few news groups as not confirmed yet.

I suppose there is a slight possibility it might be scrapped in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Its the last one I think they'll do.

Open up, use the vaccine certs to allow you to travel "without restrictions" throughout Europe but continue insisting on a PCR test when coming back to Ireland - regardless of vaccine status.

I have no proof of this whatsoever, but their current reluctance to do anything travel related is hinting this to me.

I think this is the least we can expect. The worrying thing is, like everything else, will they copy the UK and insist on two tests one before returning and one after.

I shall hold my breath on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pouladuff_goal

Yeah, I'd be amazed if that report turns out to be accurate. I've been critical of the government's inconsistency recently but even I couldn't see them being daft enough to completely do away with quarantine requirements and actively promote tourism from a country where the Indian variant is spreading while maintaining MHQ for other countries due to concern about variants. It would completely undermine the message.

We already have open travel to Britain. No PCR needed but you must go through Belfast. It is legal.

All we would be doing is making it a little easier and keeping some of the money here by using Aer Lingus and Ryanair rather than Easyjet.

I know a guy going back again on Friday for his second weekend away in a row. He didn't even show his passport last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Perhaps Ireland has come to the sensible conclusion the the Indian variant is already in Ireland, the north had a fair number of cases, the vaccines have been confirmed as providing protection against the indian variant and britain has controls in place to protect from other variants. If you pay attention to what is happening in the Uk rather than being point scoring Ireland vs UK then you would see they have started to accept there will be infections and get on with life. Ireland has to do the same and opening travel to britain is a logical 1st step in terms of travel.
    We already have open travel to Britain. No PCR needed but you must go through Belfast. It is legal.

All we would be doing is making it a little easier and keeping some of the money here by using Aer Lingus and Ryanair rather than Easyjet.

I know a guy going back again on Friday for his second weekend away in a row. He didn't even show his passport last weekend.

I don't disagree, my point was simply that actively encouraging tourism from the UK while telling people from France or the USA they have to pay €1800 to go into hotel quarantine will look ridiculous.

• Advertisement

You dont have to go through Belfast. Travel to the UK is unrestricted from Ireland, and always has been through the pandemic - no test needed and you still go through the domestic arrivals channel, as always. I have been back and forward regularly. Its only the way back is the problem

There is now regularly a passport check in domestic arrivals at Heathrow, but that is to check for stamps of anywhere that you might have been in the last 14 days - an attempt to shut the 'back door' into the UK via Ireland. But that check is not for every flight

(I did see one guy get in proper trouble for a stamp in his passport - trying to circumvent the UK rules by flying via Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Where did you see that? Last week's EU/EEA data has them coming down but still higher than Ireland (Germany with twice the incidence). https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

The figures will be updated tomorrow, but if you have updated figures, it would be interesting to see them.

Edit: that doesn't show the UK figures, which are definitely lower than Ireland, as you said. They also have far more vaccinated.

Sure - I found the latest 7-day infection averages on Google.

Germany - 6,667
    Italy - 4,410
    Poland - 1,466
    Ireland - 432 (Google hasn't updated from 424 from before HSE cyber attack)

A rough comparison of population sizes will tell you the rest. All the continental countries are trending sharply downwards, but as these are 7-day figures and the ECDC uses 14 days, I expect they might come in slightly ahead of Ireland on tomorrow's data and below Ireland next week.

France is also trending down sharply but from a higher level so remains above Ireland for now. Spain seems to be trending down more slowly than these others but they are not much higher than Ireland either. Overall, it's fantastic to see things are improving so quickly right now!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Travel to the UK is unrestricted from Ireland, and always has been through the pandemic - no test needed and you still go through the domestic arrivals channel, as always. I have been back and forward regularly. Its only the way back is the problem

That's not quite accurate.

- Arrival into the UK from Ireland is unrestricted.
    - Travelling to an Irish port or airport for the purpose of leaving the State is still currently illegal for Irish residents excepting "essential travel".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Switzerland cases are now on par with Ireland and today they have announced wide ranging openings from May 31st like restaurants inside open, spas etc open sports events indoor and outdoor with limited spectators, plus anyone entering the country fully vaccinated does not need to quarantine.

Wonder will Ireland follow suit?

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    That's not quite accurate.

- Arrival into the UK from Ireland is unrestricted.
    - Travelling to an Irish port or airport for the purpose of leaving the State is still currently illegal for Irish residents excepting "essential travel".

I mean that it is unrestricted from a British perspective.

But also having said that, I have also never been stopped or quizzed by the Gardai at the airport re. my reasons for travel in 6 trips out of the country since that rule came in

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pouladuff_goal

You dont have to go through Belfast. Travel to the UK is unrestricted from Ireland, and always has been through the pandemic - no test needed and you still go through the domestic arrivals channel, as always. I have been back and forward regularly. Its only the way back is the problem

There is now regularly a passport check in domestic arrivals at Heathrow, but that is to check for stamps of anywhere that you might have been in the last 14 days - an attempt to shut the 'back door' into the UK via Ireland. But that check is not for every flight

(I did see one guy get in proper trouble for a stamp in his passport - trying to circumvent the UK rules by flying via Ireland)

Legally you do have to go through Belfast. Any non essential journey could mean a 2K fine. You also need a test coming back.

Once you cross the border here you obey UK laws and can travel freely to London or anywhere else in the UK.

Legally you do have to go through Belfast. Any non essential journey could mean a 2K fine. You also need a test coming back.

Once you cross the border here you obey UK laws and can travel freely to London or anywhere else in the UK.

yes, you're right. I have just never taken that rule seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jellies

Today from Eurocontrol.

"Yesterday saw several countries showing big rises over the last 2 weeks France 🇫🇷 +25%, Turkey 🇹🇷 +62% & Greece 🇬🇷 +50%
    @Transport_EU @ECACceac @CANSOEurope @ACI_EUROPE @IATA @A4Europe @eraaorg @EBAAorg https://t.co/3z84l2VO78"

The rest of the world is getting moving and looking after the best interests their citizens from a holistic perspective. Meanwhile in Ireland we continue to dither over "de variants". Why does it feel like we are being taken for a ride by vested interests (again)?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just had enough of speculation and second guessing and pulled the trigger and booked a holiday for August, used TUI as they have good protection in place if we can't fly etc. Myself and MR PC7 have our first vaccines and will be fully vaccinated in June. Will deal with whatever tests smallies need (if any) as time gets closer. Fook this needed something too look forward too. Vaccines work, the Government need to get with the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MaryBrowne21

pc7 wrote: »
    Just had enough of speculation and second guessing and pulled the trigger and booked a holiday for August, used TUI as they have good protection in place if we can't fly etc. Myself and MR PC7 have our first vaccines and will be fully vaccinated in June. Will deal with whatever tests smallies need (if any) as time gets closer. Fook this needed something too look forward too. Vaccines work, the Government need to get with the program.

You are dead right, we fly start July. Will all need the PCR tests both ways and I dont mind, it will be worth it to get away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

You are dead right, we fly start July. Will all need the PCR tests both ways and I dont mind, it will be worth it to get away!

Where do you need PCR tests for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

depending on where you are going you may not need PCR tests plus if you are fully vaccinated I expect Ireland to allow non-quarantine entry by July 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MaryBrowne21

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Where do you need PCR tests for ?

Lanzarote. All the Canary islands are currently requiring it if you are staying in a hotel/resort

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Lanzarote. All the Canary islands are currently requiring it if you are staying in a hotel/resort

Strange, I thought by July Spain was going to open up to vaccinated travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Won't get checked at the airport but may be asked at your accommodation, or referred onto a local clinic for the test..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭mel123

Mink wrote: »
    You don't need a test before going to UK. But you can double check gov.uk in case anything has changed.

At the moment, coming from UK to Ireland, you have to have a negative PCR test (from private supplier, not NHS) within 72 hours of arriving in Ireland, fill out the passenger location form before the flight and then home quarantine for 14 days.

You can get a PCR test (at walk in test centre for example) no less than 5 days after arrival into Ireland and once it's negative, then you can come out of quarantine.

However I believe Irish government are set to announce scrapping the above from July onwards to encourage tourism. It's only been picked up by a few news groups as not confirmed yet.

I suppose there is a slight possibility it might be scrapped in June.

Heres one, if you were going to UK just for the weekend, can you use the same test so you just need to get one??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Bit worried about France and Germany adding UK to their lists

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Bit worried about France and Germany adding UK to their lists

And who else might follow them.

I expect* it will be a reasonably short term strategy in order to get as many as people as possible fully inoculated over the the next month or two.

*Hope.

Are we expecting clear guidance on Friday as in on this date you can travel if vaccinated or with a pcr test etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ferry booked for Tue July 6th
    Getting 1st Pfizer next Saturday 29th.
    So we should be fully vaccinated by 3rd July.
    It will be a nice bonus if Ireland can implement the EU Covid Cert by July 3rd also, as suggested by Ossian Smyth.
    Kids will still need PCR.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

[quote="josip;117275721"
    Kids will still need PCR.[/quote]

Just seen it’s only if over 7, happy days that means mine won’t!

mel123 wrote: »
    Heres one, if you were going to UK just for the weekend, can you use the same test so you just need to get one??

If it's within 72 hours then yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Except there isn't MHQ from the UK so our closest neighbors aren't paying €2000

Wasn't St Tony or one of the NPHET band of merry men suggesting it only a week ago though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

josip wrote: »
    Ferry booked for Tue July 6th
    Getting 1st Pfizer next Saturday 29th.
    So we should be fully vaccinated by 3rd July.
    It will be a nice bonus if Ireland can implement the EU Covid Cert by July 3rd also, as suggested by Ossian Smyth.
    Kids will still need PCR.

Its one week after your second dose of Pfizer until your fully vaccinated afaik.

Edit: All fixed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement