Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

gozunda wrote: »
    Its two weeks after your second dose of Pfizer until your fully vaccinated afaik.

It’s 7 days; easier to check than write out your post incorrectly contradicting someone.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/pfizer-biontech/immunity/

mel123 wrote: »
    Heres one, if you were going to UK just for the weekend, can you use the same test so you just need to get one??

I’ve done this sometimes. It’s easier to pay the extra for the super fast result, so that you can get your test closer to your flight and have more of the 72 hours to play with

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I was at the airport this afternoon dropping a client off.
    We got absolutely grilled by the Gard on the checkpoint on approach to the airport.
    It was so embarrassing that I had to apologise to my international passenger and explain that we are not normally a police state.

Inside the Checkpoint was fully manned on approach to security at T1, but at least they were nice and pleasant there.

The whole airport was absolutely dead by the way. It's like the police have strangled the life out of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

We got absolutely grilled by the Gard on the checkpoint on approach to the airport.
    It was so embarrassing that I had to apologise to my international passenger and explain that we are not normally a police state.

Inside the Checkpoint was fully manned on approach to security at T1, but at least they were nice and pleasant there.

The whole airport was absolutely dead by the way. It's like the police have strangled the life out of the place.

This is scary. I don’t think those zealots in department of health understand the world and investment decisions. Anyway… many of us with experience, qualifications and languages will be on one way tickets sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Everyone ‘staying safe’ ‘holding firm’ and ‘in it together’ did you explain your client that the next 2 weeks were crucial?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Its Covid don't blame those doing what they are supposed to do.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Its Covid don't blame those doing what they are supposed to do.

He is a young foreign national going home after spending a long period here for study.
    What has covid got to do with that?
    I had explained when stopped that I was dropping him off as he was heading back home, I can't see why that doesn't suffice.

It's a bit disconcerting as a young foreigner being asked by a unformed police person why he was here, was he coming back, when did he arrive, what was he doing etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

In what way did they grill you? I need to go up to the airport next week to collect someone and I want to be prepared.

In what way did they grill you? I need to go up to the airport next week to collect someone and I want to be prepared.

I was only dropping off a client/student. They were grilling him on why he was going home, if he was coming back, the reason he was here in the first place etc.

Not very nice or welcoming

It's like the police have strangled the life out of the place.

It's like the police are doing the job they have been told to do by the government of the day.
    AGS should never have had to police a health crisis, but it is what it is.
    Don't blame the police for actually doing their job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Mother in law flew to Malta today, direct flight cancelled so flew via Amsterdam.

Early hours of the morning departure, no sign of any guards anywhere inside or outside the airport.

Both flights completely full.

Negative PCR shown on arrival and welcomed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Hopefully after Fridays announcement things will begin to ease at the airport, well at least I fully expect fully vaccinated people will be able to travel freely

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I was only dropping off a client/student. They were grilling him on why he was going home, if he was coming back, the reason he was here in the first place etc.

Not very nice or welcoming

The poor snowflake better steer clear of US CBP if questions upset him so much!

bubblypop wrote: »
    It's like the police are doing the job they have been told to do by the government of the day.
    AGS should never have had to police a health crisis, but it is what it is.
    Don't blame the police for actually doing their job.

I agree with you. I'm sure most police also find it demeaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

It's no wonder I travel via Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Marcusm wrote: »
    It’s 7 days; easier to check than write out your post incorrectly contradicting someone.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/pfizer-biontech/immunity/

Who was I contradicting btw?

Absolutely no need for any snarky comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Its two weeks after your second dose of Pfizer until your fully vaccinated afaik.

7 days

Thanks. Yup I had put 14 instead of 7. Hands up. Mea culpa. I'll take myself outside for a good talking too :rolleyes:

You may have noticed the OP didn't mention 7 days or any wait period. So nothing implied or meant as a contradiction as suggested in previous rather argumentative reply. But no bother...

Who was I contradicting btw?

Absolutely no need for any snarky comment.

You were contradicting the person who said 7 and without any grounds and your manner was what I found snarky!

Thanks. Yup I had put 14 instead of 7. Hands up. Mea culpa. I'll take myself outside for a good talking too :rolleyes:

You may have noticed the OP didn't mention 7 days or any wait period. So nothing implied or meant as a contradiction as suggested in previous rather argumentative reply. But no bother...

The OP had made the effort to do the calculation! I see you have amended your post so I guess that means you see it as inappropriate.

• Advertisement

You were contradicting the person who said 7 and without any grounds and your manner was what I found snarky!

No reference whatsoever to the number "7" or any wait period in the OPs comment. So incorrect
    The OP had made the effort to do the calculation! I see you have amended your post so I guess that means you see it as inappropriate.

So you admit you were incorrect when you claimed the OP had said "7. Fair enough.

Really "Inappropriate? Lol. Well if you mean I put down the wrong figure and then corrected . I guess.

And If you bother to check there's no reference to any wait period. The reference appears to be a date of vaccination and travel (which is less than "7" days btw)

Not entertaining any more shyte. So I'll leave you at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

The second most read article on BBC. Well done Ireland on sabotaging your own travel industry
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57243205

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

I have just seen in one of my FB groups, a reply from Regina Doherty to a person who inquired about MHQ for Irish residents and EU nationals.
    She said that they are extending MHQ until 31st of July, but she expects the remaining EU countries to be removed from it from next week. With that plus Covid cert she expects a freedom of travel to resume within EU at the start of July. No mention of €2k fine.
    Let’s see what they will announce tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Diarmuid wrote: »
    The second most read article on BBC. Well done Ireland on sabotaging your own travel industry
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57243205

It looks like this particular issue was caused by Ryanair staff applying UK inbound standards to outbound travel.

Ireland requires pre-departure testing from the departure country that will be acceptable in Ireland, not in the departure country, but...
    The airline also referred to the Department for Transport guidance that private testing should be used

e.g. on the NI site

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-taking-covid-19-test-travelling-northern-ireland

"You must use a private test provider for the test and not an NHS test."

On the IE gov site:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/#requirement-for-a-pre-departure-covid-19-rt-pcr-test

...there is no mention of private-only PCR tests.

Aer Lingus say:

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/covid19-information/entry-requirements-for-ireland/

"Aer Lingus will require all customers to present evidence (e.g. email, text of document) of a negative RT-PCR test result - that can subsequently be verified by Border Control staff in Ireland - prior to boarding."

So maybe...don't travel with Ryanair because they're muppets?

Lumen wrote: »
    It looks like this particular issue was caused by Ryanair staff applying UK inbound standards to outbound travel.

Ireland requires pre-departure testing from the departure country that will be acceptable in Ireland, not in the departure country, but...

Agreed the article detailed the incident happened airside in the UK.
    She believed her latest test result from work could be used for travel, because it met the testing standard required by the Irish authorities. However, Sally was refused boarding.
    ... she later learned that the UK government advises that only private providers can be used for PCR tests for travel

It was so poorly managed by Ryanair ground staff, there was dismal customer service, there was no way we could speak to anybody, and we were treated like criminals."

The same article details another woman being refused boarding a flight from the UK to Portugal for exactly the same reason

Terrible Ireland has sabotaged Portugals travel industry as well :rolleyes:

Lumen wrote: »

So maybe...don't travel with Ryanair because they're muppets?

As the saying goes, if you're explaining you're losing.

I doubt many who read this article are either going to read your explanation of why Ryanair are wrong or fly with a less competitive airline.

This obviously isn't going to put off committed travelers to Ireland. It is another black mark against Ireland as an attractive travel destination for the millions that just want to go abroad on hols.

The same article details another woman being refused boarding a flight from the UK to Portugal for exactly the same reason

Terrible Ireland has sabotaged Portugals travel industry as well :rolleyes:

You're welcome to start a thread on boards.pt about that.

This obviously isn't going to put off committed travelers to Ireland. It is another black mark against Ireland as an attractive travel destination for the millions that just want to go abroad on hols.

No it's not.
    people will just make sure they have the correct test to enter. My cousin came in from the.UK yesterday, no issues.

I doubt many who read this article are either going to read your explanation of why Ryanair are wrong or fly with a less competitive airline.

Well tbf the facts are fairly clear in the article

Its simply mud slinging to imply there's fault where it was clearly UK regulations which were being applied and requested by the airline

Oh did I mention the article details the exact same thing happened to a UK traveller to Portugal?

So no does not compute as they say ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You're simply misattributing the blame here. It's the UK that has a restrictive policy on PCR testing being done by private providers, not Ireland, and it's Ryanair that mistakenly applied these to departing passengers.

What's your argument exactly? That Ireland should drop the pre-boarding PCR testing requirement to compensate for Ryanair's incompetence?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement