Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Lumen wrote: »
    It looks like this particular issue was caused by Ryanair staff applying UK inbound standards to outbound travel.

Ireland requires pre-departure testing from the departure country that will be acceptable in Ireland, not in the departure country, but...

e.g. on the NI site

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-taking-covid-19-test-travelling-northern-ireland

"You must use a private test provider for the test and not an NHS test."

On the IE gov site:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/#requirement-for-a-pre-departure-covid-19-rt-pcr-test

...there is no mention of private-only PCR tests.

Aer Lingus say:

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/covid19-information/entry-requirements-for-ireland/

"Aer Lingus will require all customers to present evidence (e.g. email, text of document) of a negative RT-PCR test result - that can subsequently be verified by Border Control staff in Ireland - prior to boarding."

So maybe...don't travel with Ryanair because they're muppets?

I don't know about a necessity for the letters P,C and R, but you can't use a free test to travel into Ireland either.

This all stems from that really, the racket that is the €140 private tests. The government funded ones are literally the same test but apparently not good enough, the extortionate price of the private test each way being yet another handy financial burden on people looking to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I don't know about a necessity for the letters P,C and R, but you can't use a free test to travel into Ireland either.

This all stems from that really, the racket that is the €140 private tests. The government funded ones are literally the same test but apparently not good enough, the extortionate price of the private test each way being yet another handy financial burden on people looking to travel.

Yes - did Ryanair not do the right thing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Where is this documented?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

More proof that this stopped being about a virus a long time ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

bubblypop wrote: »
    It's like the police are doing the job they have been told to do by the government of the day.
    AGS should never have had to police a health crisis, but it is what it is.
    Don't blame the police for actually doing their job.

“Just doing their job” is no excuse for ignorance, rudeness and a lack of compassion. It costs nothing to be polite when enforcing laws.

Next up, “Not all gardai are all like that” :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Can anyone hazard a guess for what the government announcement on travel will be tomorrow?

faceman wrote: »
    “Just doing their job” is no excuse for ignorance, rudeness and a lack of compassion. It costs nothing to be polite when enforcing laws.

Next up, “No all gardai are all like that” :D

I agree, politeness costs nothing.
    Of course, the poster did not say that the guard was rude, or lacking in compassion or anything like it.

He merely said he gave the guy a 'grilling' which means questions, as far as I know. Sad state of affairs if a guard cannot question someone,as per the law, without someone being embarrassed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Where is this documented?

From the NHS https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing/get-tested-for-coronavirus/

Travelling abroad
    If you're travelling abroad, you may need to get a test before you travel. You need to pay for a test privately and should not get a free test from the NHS.

matrim wrote: »

Thanks, but the question related to tests acceptable in Ireland.

Thanks, but the question related to tests acceptable in Ireland.

The people giving the test say it's not suitable for travel so why would the airline accept it. And it wasn't Ireland that didn't accept it. It was Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

I think you can get PCR tests for €79 now. And they are cheaper coming back in most countries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

faceman wrote: »

Next up, “No all gardai are all like that” :D

also reminds about what Germans used to say about the Nazis "dont blame them, they were told to do it"

matrim wrote: »
    The people giving the test say it's not suitable for travel so why would the airline accept it. And it wasn't Ireland that didn't accept it. It was Ryanair.
    The airline should accept what the destination country accepts. That's why I'm asking for the official documentation from the Irish authorities on which PCR tests are acceptable.

The airline should accept what the destination country accepts. That's why I'm asking for the official documentation from the Irish authorities on which PCR tests are acceptable.

Ryanair don't accept drivers license as proof of identity despite it being valid travel documentation. They are free to make their own subset of the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

So which politician will we see running to the media first today to give all the "good news"

My money is on Varadkar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

The poor snowflake better steer clear of US CBP if questions upset him so much!

US CBP are more than pleasant when you're trying to leave their country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Diarmuid wrote: »
    The second most read article on BBC. Well done Ireland on sabotaging your own travel industry
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57243205

In a way, articles like this show how little people have travelled during the pandemic. In Jan and Feb, approximately 1 out of every 4 in the very long check-in queue in front of me were turned away for not having the required documents. A lot of them didn't realise that you had to check not just the rules for your destination, but also for any transit country on the way. This is why the EU green card is going to be a problem if the same standards aren't applied in all countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

The second most read article on BBC. Well done Ireland on sabotaging your own travel industry

This is because she later learned that the UK government advises that only private providers can be used for PCR tests for travel.

Money making racket, this is why I fear this PCR nonsense requirement will continue, even when we are all vaccinated

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Money making racket, this is why I fear this PCR nonsense requirement will continue, even when we are all vaccinated

At least the EU are pushing for antigen tests, which would make it much more convenient and cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

copeyhagen wrote: »
    also reminds about what Germans used to say about the Nazis "dont blame them, they were told to do it"

Does it?

Are you somehow suggesting what the Gardai do is in anyway equivalent to what the Nazis did?

But more importantly why would anyway make an issue of gardai for simply asking people questions as part of their duties?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

At least the EU are pushing for antigen tests, which would make it much more convenient and cheaper

Don't you still need the travel certificate from private providers in order for the antigen test to be valid for travel?

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Don't you still need the travel certificate from private providers in order for the antigen test to be valid for travel?

Yes, I think you do still need them. But you can do the antigen in the airport an hour before you fly and get texted / emailed a qr code with a cert. will link up with airline apps and the green cert

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It looks like all tests will be required to be done by a service provider and for the moment will not include home tests. So not necessarily cheaper (depending on destination countries requirements)
    Which tests will be accepted?

So-called *NAAT tests (including RT-PCR tests) and rapid antigen tests will be recognised. For the time being, this will not include self-tests.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/05/21/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-eu-s-covid-travel-pass

*NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:

Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)

Isothermal amplification including: Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)

Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)

Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)

Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)

Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

Strand displacement amplification (SDA)

gozunda wrote: »
    It looks like all tests will be required to be done by a service provider and for the moment will not include home tests

Yes, I think you will see a lot of airlines bundle it into their ticket price, much the same way you add bags. Randox have antigen in Dublin airport, but not many in the EU accepting it yet, but I think that will change over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

The most pertinent bit for me is that the person rebooked to come via Belfast and drove down south hassle free.

Once again demonstrating these stupid rules with the uk dont keep us safer* they just take money and jobs away from Dublin airport

*not to mention the stupidity that the passenger had a negative test but because she didnt pay money for it wasnt allowed board. Because that's how covid works.

Once again, I hope FF and the Greens lose every seat in the next election.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    The most pertinent bit for me is that the person rebooked to come via Belfast and drove down south hassle free.

This all day long! They better announce decisions tomorrow that make sense, its enough now. The vaccine rollout is going well, it works, end of.

Strange that there are no leaks yet!

copeyhagen wrote: »

FFS
    Full godwin.

M_Murphy57 wrote: »

Once again, I hope FF and the Greens lose every seat in the next election.

Is there a party that has been opposed to any covid restrictions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

The new ECDC travel map is out. Big swathes of yellow right across Europe now. I expect Germany and all of Italy to go yellow next week due to plumetting infection rates:

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/situation-updates/weekly-maps-coordinated-restriction-free-movement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement