Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

RobitTV wrote: »
    Read this today:

(As of yet there is no suggestion of EU citizens needing a vaccination passport to move from one EU country to another whether for work, study or holidays. But, it is being discussed for residents who wish to travel from ‘third countries’ like the UK)

This could mean only a PCR test is required for EU travel. Like it has been for many months.

Vaccine passports may be required for international travel outside of the European Union.

Once everywhere is green then travel resumes. Government will discourage travel but it will not wash. Things will be very different by end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Where would Airport security check these documents?
    What are the legal requirements for these documents?
    And at what point and how do they stop you from boarding an aircraft?
    Who grants the Airport security the legal right to do so?

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Since early last year they've had no issues checking everyone coming through arrivals has the contact tracing form filled in, I don't know why you think a different document would be a any significant difference to their workload.

I'm be pretty confident airport security already have powers to stop you boarding too.

ypres5 wrote: »
    ive rebooked my hotels for trips to Paris and Berlin late this year in oct and dec. am i being overly optimistic or could it come to be ?

I’d be confident it would come to be and if I were you I’d be going anyway, even if had to be via London. To think that we’ll be banned from international travel when the rest of the EU is open for tourism is a nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

I'm be pretty confident airport security already have powers to stop you boarding too.

They have no such powers beyond search of baggage.

In any event the law only allows AGS to question passengers and issue fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Once everywhere is green then travel resumes. Government will discourage travel but it will not wash. Things will be very different by end of May.

Going to be the exact same setup around Europe as last Summer. But with more areas Green. However that’s heavily caveated from an Irish citizen’s perspective hoping to go on holidays in the EU:

1. As with last Summer, all non essential travel will be strongly advised against by the DFA.

2. AFAIK the €2,000 fine for non-essential travel is NOT linked to Level 5. So even if the country is Level 2 in July that €2,000 fine will still be in place.

3. Government plan to tighten the reasons for “essential travel”. E.g dental appointment etc. Not done yet but could happen.

4. While I don’t think it will happen, a lot of the public still want full hotel quarantine for anyone coming into Ireland. The government don’t want to go that extreme and have their list of dangerous countries. But public opinion could sway them into it. And if that clicks into gear in say late March/early April, with all the hassles that it has caused I can’t see that just being lifted after 6 to 8 weeks in time for the Summer season.

So an awful lot of unknowns ahead. I wouldn’t be putting all my eggs in the ECDC traffic light travel map in the hope that “Oh Yay we’re green and so is Spain so I’m off on my holliers”. Definitely won’t be that simple with our government, the general public pressure on government and NPHET.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Going to be the exact same setup around Europe as last Summer. But with more areas Green. However that’s heavily caveated from an Irish citizen’s perspective hoping to go on holidays in the EU:

1. As with last Summer, all non essential travel will be strongly advised against by the DFA.

2. AFAIK the €2,000 fine for non-essential travel is NOT linked to Level 5. So even if the country is Level 2 in July that €2,000 fine will still be in place.

3. Government plan to tighten the reasons for “essential travel”. E.g dental appointment etc. Not done yet but could happen.

4. While I don’t think it will happen, a lot of the public still want full hotel quarantine for anyone coming into Ireland. The government don’t want to go that extreme and have their list of dangerous countries. But public opinion could sway them into it. And if that clicks into gear in say late March/early April, with all the hassles that it has caused I can’t see that just being lifted after 6 to 8 weeks in time for the Summer season.

So an awful lot of unknowns ahead. I wouldn’t be putting all my eggs in the ECDC traffic light travel map in the hope that “Oh Yay we’re green and so is Spain so I’m off on my holliers”. Definitely won’t be that simple with our government, the general public pressure on government and NPHET.

How far off realistically is non-essential travel (holiday) within the EU do you think ? With no fines. Especially for a family with kids as there is no plan to vaccinate kids as yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

SusanC10 wrote: »
    How far off realistically is non-essential travel (holiday) within the EU do you think ? With no fines. Especially for a family with kids as there is no plan to vaccinate kids as yet.

After the winter season 2021/2022. So spring of 2022

https://twitter.com/ciaraphelan_/status/1364321912382509058?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

It looks like I may be one of the very few Irish people in Majorca come July :pac:

My flight is one way. So not a 'holiday' for me as such.

I cannot believe the rest of Europe will be 'green' on the traffic light system by the summer and Irish people *likely* won't be able to travel. The public are getting what they asked for.

faceman wrote: »
    After the winter season 2021/2022. So spring of 2022

https://twitter.com/ciaraphelan_/status/1364321912382509058?s=21

That's what we are planning for - Summer 2022.

I couldn’t see what you outlined as being viable in 2021. Unfortunately for all of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭dan786

Mandatory hotel quarantine for all arrivals wont happen, will just stick to the countries in Category 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Don't discount pressure from the EU, which is one of the few things keeping the border open, although sometimes is not so visible. The EU named and shamed Belgium today for banning non-essential travel. The EU's argument, I believe, is if you want to ban all non-essential travel in your own country (as in Ireland), you can apply it to international travel too but you shouldn't have tougher restrictions for leaving the country than apply domestically. If and when travel restrictions ease within Ireland, that could put the government in a spot:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/23/eu-tells-six-countries-to-lift-covid-border-restrictions

The contentious new border controls include a broad ban on non-essential travel imposed by the governments of Belgium and Sweden and the selective entry restrictions enforced by the German government on traffic from Austria’s Tirol region, the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

We live in bizarre times.

People living in Derry can look forward to a holiday this year, with less restrictions and more freedom at home.

Down the road in Letterkenny, you can look forward to no holidays, 9 weeks of tough restrictions, meeting outside this summer, beer gardens and being attacked if you dare to travel.

This will all take place on the same Island.

I couldn’t see what you outlined as being viable in 2021. Unfortunately for all of us.

I could live with Summer 2022 tbh but would be very difficult after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

People living in Derry can look forward to a holiday this year, with less restrictions and more freedom at home.

Down the road in Letterkenny, you can look forward to no holidays, 9 weeks of tough restrictions, meeting outside this summer, beer gardens and being attacked if you dare to travel.

While those same Derry people walk past your house if they so choose. Utterly outrageous mismanagement. You're perfectly right in your post above. The people got what they wished for.

It will be like watching 'Reeling In The Years 1976' live.

A shambolic and embarrassing failure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Places in two different countries being ran differently...I find this concept impossible to understand..

dan786 wrote: »
    Mandatory hotel quarantine for all arrivals wont happen, will just stick to the countries in Category 2.

If even that. I firmly believe the government don’t want to do it. Daniel McConnell, Irish Examiner political editor, pretty much alluded as such on Matt Cooper’s radio show today. But the public pressure on this is monumental so they have to be seen to do something.

Seemingly the government have not entered talks with one single hotel yet.

I’m guessing they’re hoping something else comes along and becomes the focus of attention in the COVID world and the people get distracted from their quest for hotel quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

faceman wrote: »
    U.K. aiming to have international travel restrictions lifted by 17th May

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0222/1198499-england-restrictions-easing/

Don't mean to pee on the party but ;)

This is what the RTE article says about restrictions and foreign travel
    International travel rules will also be reviewed, with 17 May targeted as the earliest possible date for a foreign holiday

The lifting of restrictions in the UK on international travel is given as 'possible
    “The government will determine when international travel should resume, which will be no earlier than 17 May,”...

The April review will provide recommendations about when and how full international travel should resume, while managing the risks of new variants of coronavirus.

Much will depend on the spread of variants deemed “of concern”, as well as vaccine roll-outs at home and abroad.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-travel/uk-pm-says-foreign-travel-curbs-to-stay-until-at-least-mid-may-idUSKBN2AM22X

Don't be booking yer holidays just yet ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

BTW Ireland is approaching green country status, we have a long way to go but not far off, today's positivity rate is 4.6% and with cases falling it is possible youll be accepted into an EU nation without a negative PCR by May or June if schools don't cause a massive resurgence.

Cases below 100 a day and positive less than 4% = green list.

WOW, lets blame our Kids again.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

They needed to moderate that advice when areas were Green. EU informally forced that green regime and the Government went into the court and confirmed it was only advisory.

I think it will be challenged by the EU especially if domestic restrictions are lifted. If they do not challenge it, Ryanair and others will drag the Government through the courts.

They may get away with it now but not if countries are green. They are walking a tightrope legally - same as the linking of 5km exercise limit to stop evictions.

I think quarantine will be there for risky non - EU countries but it will not wash for EU countries who are green.

The Commission is warning countries already in respect to border restrictions. That will ramp up - freedom of movement is a fundamental freedom of the EU. If fundamental freedoms are challenged it weakens the project.

There will be lots of soft pressure but things will be at least as relaxed as last summer in terms of travel - and far more relaxed where you end up if lots of people are vaccinated at destination - as they should be in the EU.

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Places in two different countries being ran differently...I find this concept impossible to understand..

Two places that happen to be on the same Island within a short distance from one another and that can be accessed without border restrictions. Just a unique situation. I suppose the people in Letterkenny can just go to Derry for shopping or fly from Belfast for a holiday.

Wallander wrote: »
    Don't discount pressure from the EU, which is one of the few things keeping the border open, although sometimes is not so visible. The EU named and shamed Belgium today for banning non-essential travel. The EU's argument, I believe, is if you want to ban all non-essential travel in your own country (as in Ireland), you can apply it to international travel too but you shouldn't have tougher restrictions for leaving the country than apply domestically. If and when travel restrictions ease within Ireland, that could put the government in a spot:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/23/eu-tells-six-countries-to-lift-covid-border-restrictions

The contentious new border controls include a broad ban on non-essential travel imposed by the governments of Belgium and Sweden and the selective entry restrictions enforced by the German government on traffic from Austria’s Tirol region, the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Yep. Can agree with all this. If Ireland is green and the likes of Italy and Greece are also - as they were last summer then travel will happen. There may be warnings against travel and soft pressure but they will not have the real teeth to enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yep. Can agree with all this. If Ireland is green and the likes of Italy and Greece are also - as they were last summer then travel will happen. There may be warnings against travel and soft pressure but they will not have the real teeth to enforce.

Isn't Greece looking to introduce a requirement for covid passports or similar for incoming holiday makers?

gozunda wrote: »
    Isn't Greece looking to introduce a requirement for covid passports or similar for incoming holiday makers?

It is very delicate politically and don’t discount another Brexit factor. Maybe required for visitors from non-EU countries but will be more difficult within the EU.

Greece, for instance, wants tourists so will find a way to get them - this could mean PCR or vaccination cert from Non- Green/non EU and random PCRs/antigen testing on arrival from green countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

the new quarantine rules will be barely in force, not a chance they'll be gone by May. Any legal threat from the likes of Ryanair, they'll simply continue to enforce the 5k rules, even if we greenlist.

Probably as far as belfast

Tazz T wrote: »
    the new quarantine rules will be barely in force, not a chance they'll be gone by May. Any legal threat from the likes of Ryanair, they'll simply continue to enforce the 5k rules, even if we greenlist.

I would not book anything for May but come 1st June and if most vulnerable are fully vaccinated it will be difficult to keep things locked down. There will be other domestic pressures.

It is very delicate politically and don’t discount another Brexit factor. Maybe required for visitors from non-EU countries but will be more difficult within the EU.

Greece, for instance, wants tourists so will find a way to get them - this could mean PCR or vaccination cert from Non- Green/non EU and random PCRs/antigen testing on arrival from green countries.

Greece want the $s and the £s. They accept that inter-EU travel will happen. They need the US and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

I’m going abroad by hook or by crook come august. Already booked, I’d rather be dead in ten years of living than another 40 years of this politically guided gick.

Best of luck and gold stars all round to the rigid rule followers, logic has left the building a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Tazz T wrote: »

They'll be so barely enforced that they never will be enforced. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement