Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Multipass wrote: »
    Brilliant, I’m going out of my way to catch that one :pac:

its the only way ill achieve my lockdown fitness goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭patscott27

Multipass wrote: »
    Brilliant, I’m going out of my way to catch that one :pac:
    Russian ones will have to compete as an independent Olympic variant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

patscott27 wrote: »
    Russian ones will have to compete as an independent Olympic variant

Those will need to be tested for athlete enhancing substances.

They should set up a special event for variants this year to see who comes out on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Why's that Important? (in general) as you can still catch the virus with any vaccine?

It's important because their are far more cases appearing in those who have been sinopharm vaxxed. Fortunately, we're not using it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Apologies if already posted but why tf extend it if you can just come in from Belfast. https://twitter.com/seandefoe/status/1397897714759835648?s=21 and europe will have a green cert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Methinks the 2k fine and the "do not travel" mantra will follow now. So I can well imagine the 2k fine staying until the 31st July, regardless of what is happening with the green cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

pc7 wrote: »
    Apologies if already posted but why tf extend it if you can just come in from Belfast. https://twitter.com/seandefoe/status/1397897714759835648?s=21 and europe will have a green cert?

As long as it's just for countries with out of control levels of Covid like India I don't have a problem with it. No European countries, the US or any other country with high level of vaccinations should remain on the list.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Methinks the 2k fine and the "do not travel" mantra will follow now. So I can well imagine the 2k fine staying until the 31st July, regardless of what is happening with the green cert.

I can't see how they can have the fine in place after July 1st when the green cert will be official in Europe, absolutely infuriating. 99 people in hospital, 99!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Extending MHQ doesn't tie in with any green cert. Green cert is for EU countries at the moment.

MHQ almost certainly looks to be extended but for countries like India etc.

MHQ is going to exist alongside the green cert, 2 different things

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

I’m looking at heading to Spain in august (booked last year). What are the chances of me getting there, keep in mind it’s two months away!

Surely the non essential travel and 2k fine will be gone by then

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I’m looking at heading to Spain in august (booked last year). What are the chances of me getting there, keep in mind it’s two months away!

Surely the non essential travel and 2k fine will be gone by then

At this point just wait for the official announcement tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The law is that you have to quarantine in a designated facility if you have been in one of the listed countries over the relevant timeframe. It has nothing to do with how you travelled from there to the State.

What you are asking is "why is it a law if I can potentially break it without being caught?" Which could apply to probably almost any law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/24-hours-to-go-how-ministers-are-finalising-details-before-tomorrows-announcement-on-easing-covid-19-restrictions-40476055.html

Not sounding positive from this at all. NPHET and scaremongering over variants. Why would there be a trade off between indoor dining and EU travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hub D15

It is time to end these restrictions.

It is time for the government to do its actual job which is supposed to be about improving the economy, creating jobs and ensuring freedoms.

Instead of doing their actual job - they have forgotten what it is - they are keeping busy by dreaming up ways of stopping travel, ending inward investment, causing job losses and bankruptcies, and removing anything that could make Ireland an attractive place to live, to do business or to travel. And the bill for all of this, they are running up on your cheque book.

It is time to end these restrictions. If not now, then when?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

mmclo wrote: »

Interesting to see. Belgium's population is 2.3 times that of Ireland's, so opening indoor dining with fewer than 500 in ICU there is a direct equivalent to opening indoor dining here once ICU cases are lower than 217. That would have meant a closure of indoor dining on 24 January this year and reopening on 26 January - the only two days of the pandemic that threshold has been beaten!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

Wallander wrote: »
    Interesting to see. Belgium's population is 2.3 times that of Ireland's, so opening indoor dining with fewer than 500 in ICU there is a direct equivalent to opening indoor dining here once ICU cases are lower than 217. That would have meant a closure of indoor dining on 24 January this year and reopening on 26 January - the only two days of the pandemic that threshold has been beaten!

I wonder will there be tribunal after all this. I like how the UK are holding a pretty open warts and all look at what they got wrong, hopefully we do the same.

I wonder will there be tribunal after all this. I like how the UK are holding a pretty open warts and all look at what they got wrong, hopefully we do the same.

Yep cos tribunals in this country are known for their value for money, definitely never wastes a cent.
    Don't see any point to that

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Does anyone else have a problem allowing American Tourists in while we can't go the other way, seems strange. I know there is Tourism to be considered but I have a major problem when vaccinated people here cant go there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Belgium has a lot more hospital and ICU beds available per person.

Prior to covid Ireland only had 225. Some were added to bring that up to over 280 and surge capacity can extend it up to about 350.

Still, waiting until over 75% were being taken up by covid patients before shutting down would seem a bit silly. Especially given that there are other non-covid patients that would need ICU care

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 DipDiphooray

Belgium has a lot more hospital and ICU beds available per person.

This is something that people never seem to take into account.

Saying that hoping to travel to UK on August fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

bubblypop wrote: »
    Yep cos tribunals in this country are known for their value for money, definitely never wastes a cent.
    Don't see any point to that

Covid has seen the biggest transfer of wealth from poor to rich this country has ever seen. While restrictions were necessary, they sometimes went too far and destroyed many otherwise viable businesses, added more than necessary to our national debt. How did the government arrive to radically different decisions to other EU countries, we deserve answers to all this.

We need to learn from Covid - if some other disaster is to come our way, we need to be better prepared.

It's easy to say that other countries have more ICU capacity, but thats not an answer, Do we need more ICU capacity? if so why don't we, all this need to be trashed out, and hopefully build a stronger country on the back of it.

But the argument, not having a review because is a waste of money, doesn't hold water. The government could easily take 100K people off PUP tomorrow and get them back to work. A review into the billions wasted by incorrect actions by the government, is not a waste of money.

I find it hard to believe that shutting down aviation and all the long term damage that has done will be cheaper than adding hospital capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

This is something that people never seem to take into account.

Saying that hoping to travel to UK on August fingers crossed.

AUGUST!!! Dear me I'm hoping late June!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hmmm their approach doesn't really stand up with a comparison of cases and deaths to-date

5b5v80.jpg

But I guess indoor dining is more important ...
    And no that doesn't mean I want restaurants to be permanently closed or hate all restaurant owners / employees or any other things not said ..

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Covid has seen the biggest transfer of wealth from poor to rich this country has ever seen. While restrictions were necessary, they sometimes went too far and destroyed many otherwise viable businesses, added more than necessary to our national debt. How did the government arrive to radically different decisions to other EU countries, we deserve answers to all this.

We need to learn from Covid - if some other disaster is to come our way, we need to be better prepared.

It's easy to say that other countries have more ICU capacity, but thats not an answer, Do we need more ICU capacity? if so why don't we, all this need to be trashed out, and hopefully build a stronger country on the back of it.

But the argument, not having a review because is a waste of money, doesn't hold water. The government could easily take 100K people off PUP tomorrow and get them back to work. A review into the billions wasted by incorrect actions by the government, is not a waste of money.

I find it hard to believe that shutting down aviation and all the long term damage that has done will be cheaper than adding hospital capacity.

This in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Travelled via Belfast to UK today. Totally stress-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Must be because they just aren't testing, do you really think less than 25 people in a population of 100,000 have covid ?

Remember this virus is endemic.

In order to be green on the EU/EEA map the region has to have less than 25 cases per 100,000 when testing more than 300/100,000 where the positivity rate is less than 4%.

There was an article a while back that mentioned that they are considering raising the case number threshold to 50/100,000 as the vaccines are rolled out, but I can't seem to find it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Travelled via Belfast to UK today. Totally stress-free.

Were you questioned at all about illness/antigen tests/locator forms or just literally straight through?

How normal are things on the ground in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

so when are we expecting the expected leaks? later tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

kilns wrote: »
    so when are we expecting the expected leaks? later tonight?

The anticipation is a killer 😂

Followed by the let down :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement