Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

Yes its all about that fine. I'm going the 1st July, if the fine is in place I'll depart Belfast, otherwise its Dublin

I take it you haven't booked yet? The problem with waiting is that the fares could go right up. I gambled on making a booking. I do have a legit excuse if the fine is still in place but I'd be nervous then of the flight getting cancelled. And then having to go back to the drawing board. So many ifs and buts it would wreck your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

voldejoie wrote: »
    I'm trying to get to France in a few weeks, and very surprised how few flights there are between Belfast and Paris.

Also looking into sail and railing it to London and going from there, but looks like France is increasing restrictions on incoming passengers from the UK, so it mightn't be the most helpful idea :/

So not just here then with the restrictions? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

I take it you haven't booked yet? The problem with waiting is that the fares could go right up. I gambled on making a booking. I do have a legit excuse if the fine is still in place but I'd be nervous then of the flight getting cancelled. And then having to go back to the drawing board. So many ifs and buts it would wreck your head.

I’m booked from Dublin, but I can move it to Belfast for a couple hundred quid, still cheaper than a fine

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

I’m booked from Dublin, but I can move it to Belfast for a couple hundred quid, still cheaper than a fine

Didn't think of that and it's an option I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

How has the 2k airport/port fine not been legally challenged yet? Like, how is me travelling to an airport to leave the country dangerous to the public health of this country if I am leaving the country as are the people I would be sharing the plane with. Alright, people coming into Ireland at least you could make the claim they are a risk to public health but how is someone leaving the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Klonker wrote: »
    How has the 2k airport/port fine not been legally challenged yet? Like, how is me travelling to an airport to leave the country dangerous to the public health of this country if I am leaving the country as are the people I would be sharing the plane with. Alright, people coming into Ireland at least you could make the claim they are a risk to public health but how is someone leaving the country?

To my knowledge the fines are issued upon return, not when leaving, I stand to be corrected on that though. Just all the cases I have seen were issued on return

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tone deaf? They....we, were told vaccinate the vulnerable and then we could start to get back to normal- if we are vaccinating 45 to 50 year olds who have close to zero chance of ending up with serious illness or hospitalised and still can’t figure a way to live with a virus that is never going away then it isn’t they that is deaf or blind.

Eh ?

Who said that?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

bubblypop wrote: »
    Do people still use travel agents?!

I haven’t in years but did this week for our august trip. Good cover and options to move it without hassle if country goes red list etc. had a mare last year dealing with different airlines and that. So for peace of mind as traveling with smallies just went with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

pc7 wrote: »
    I haven’t in years but did this week for our august trip. Good cover and options to move it without hassle if country goes red list etc. had a mare last year dealing with different airlines and that. So for peace of mind as traveling with smallies just went with them.

Use them for trips with friends sometimes too. Can be easier than 8 people all booking separate trips to same place

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

1123heavy wrote: »
    To my knowledge the fines are issued upon return, not when leaving, I stand to be corrected on that though. Just all the cases I have seen were issued on return

So can the guards still stop you from leaving the country I wonder. I read a lot of reports of them stopping people at departure/security gates ? Say if you fly out before the 19th July (to Spain) and return after the 19th

• Advertisement

Meself wrote: »
    So can the guards still stop you from leaving the country I wonder. I read a lot of reports of them stopping people at departure/security gates ? Say if you fly out before the 19th July (to Spain) and return after the 19th

No. The guards never stopped anybody from leaving.
    No one will stop you leaving the country. They may question people at departure about their reason for travelling and may issue fines but no-one will stop you leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

bubblypop wrote: »
    No. The guards never stopped anybody from leaving.
    No one will stop you leaving the country. They may question people at departure about their reason for travelling and may issue fines but no-one will stop you leaving.

Well they can fine each person in the group travelling €2k. That’s essentially the same as stopping someone.

Well they can fine each person in the group travelling €2k. That’s essentially the same as stopping someone.

No, no it's not. If it stops you from leaving that's your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

delighted i booked from belfast for July, flights will sky rocket for both now.

It's not. Again, issuing a parking ticket in no way prevents people illegally parking.

All adults will be subject to a fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

July 19 is crazy, so a fully vaccinated person will have to quarantine if they wanted to come between now and then! Will be interesting to see the fine print later

My own case I will be fully vaccinated by mid June and will return to Ireland early July, I am lucky as I dont mind quarantining but its nuts that I will have to

kilns wrote: »
    July 19 is crazy, so a fully vaccinated person will have to quarantine if they wanted to come between now and then! Will be interesting to see the fine print later

My own case I will be fully vaccinated by mid June and will return to Ireland early July, I am lucky as I dont mind quarantining but its nuts that I will have to

I agree but the amount of people that are still so freaked about covid-19 and think that we need to be wrapped up as at there's even a 1% chance of catching it is crazy.

My colleagues including myself all have the first jab. They are still adamant that you should quarantine for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I agree but the amount of people that are still so freaked about covid-19 and think that we need to be wrapped up as at there's even a 1% chance of catching it is crazy.

My colleagues including myself all have the first jab. They are still adamant that you should quarantine for 2 weeks

I am not even talking 1 jab I am talking fully vaccinated with two and then the 14 day period after

for some companies that rely on foreign tourists the period between now and July 19 if they were allowed fully vaccinated people would keep them afloat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

It's not. Again, issuing a parking ticket in no way prevents people illegally parking.

All adults will be subject to a fine

The fine is trying to control behaviour. It was designed to stop people travelling. That is without question,

It is not legally sound and someone will challenge it. That is my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

1123heavy wrote: »

That’s incorrect. Fines are issued on departure, coming back is not the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Cards on the table I have vulnerable family and friends and I have yet to receive a vaccine myself.

What people are failing to recognise or acknowledge is that we are in a very tricky situation at the moment with the India variant

There’s uncertainty and risk there

The govt and nphet are correct to tread slowly and carefully here.

They will not be thanked if this goes out of control again.

My family , my friends, people who mean so much to me, are my main concern

And I will not back down from that

With the greatest of respect, we all have parents or family members who are considered at risk or immunocompromised. Anyone who wouldn't consider them their main concern needs their head examined. However the vast majority of risk groups have given at least their first vaccine and many have been given their second

As a result hospital cases are back to what is considered "normal" and the same can be said about most of Europe.

There comes a point when even the most conservative medical advisors recognise the need to reopen society. NPHET, who are arguably one of the most conservative in the EU, particularly in 2021, agree that we are in a far better position now than expected.

With that in mind, after 13+ months, the needs of the many now outweighs the needs of the few. Livelihoods have been destroyed, the economy decimated in many areas. Its going to take a lot longer than 13+ months to repair the damage done.

Of course that doesn't detract from any medical concern you or yours have. If you deem necessary, you may need to cocoon or isolate further, or perhaps speak to your GP about your concerns so that he/she can see if they can prioritise your vaccines. I know of some districts in Ireland where GPs are lashing vaccines in to people's arms ahead of schedule due to oversupply.

With vaccines in arms, society should be reopened and normality returned. After all if the vaccines dont do the trick, what's the point of all this. One thing is for sure, there is no going back to any kind of lockdown from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ireland “Not in a position to restore CTA” https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0528/1224365-covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gael23 wrote: »
    Ireland “Not in a position to restore CTA” https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0528/1224365-covid-19/

You forgot to continue the quote with "Just yet"

It's in relation to CTA travel before 19th July, looks like it'll be July 19th now for UK/EU

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Gael23 wrote: »

Important part there is this imo

He said some other countries will still be on a red or danger list when international travel is allowed, where restrictions will still be tough.

Mr Varadkar warned that for some people who book a trip to a country that is not on the red list, it may be on the list by the time that person is returning home

Is that EU countries included or non EU, cos that's messy

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cottonsocks

You forgot to continue the quote with "Just yet"

It's in relation to CTA travel before 19th July, looks like it'll be July 19th now for UK/EU

I can’t believe this. I live in the UK and haven’t been back to Ireland in 18 months. I was going to go home via Belfast recently, then thought ‘no, I’ll wait for the announcement’ because Dublin is a lot easier for me, and after all this now they seem to be indicating July 19th earliest for the UK?! They can stick it now at this stage. I’ll be coming via Belfast like thousands of others just fed up of this s**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

titan18 wrote: »

He said some other countries will still be on a red or danger list when international travel is allowed, where restrictions will still be tough.

Mr Varadkar warned that for some people who book a trip to a country that is not on the red list, it may be on the list by the time that person is returning home

Non EU. In same interview he said EU countries will come off quarantine lists with the EU cert

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just booked spain for August for 2 weeks - Catalonia my home from home - cant wait to get back there for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

titan18 wrote: »

EU countries look to be largely out of the woods and Belgium, France and Luxembourg remain on the list.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Just booked spain for August for 2 weeks - Catalonia my home from home - cant wait to get back there for a couple of weeks.

Its so good to have something to look forward too, I booked this week and its given me such a lift, cannot wait for heat on my bones! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Time to get things in place for August and late July... thank f*ck... although I'll be fully vaccinated by end June and in fairness would like to see the UK in early July, wonder if the Uk will get a travel corridor...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement