Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bellmeister

As someone from the Uk living in Ireland I am also sick of this and it is making me seriously consider moving back to the Uk along with the 20 highly paid jobs I brought with me.

The decision about the CTA is now clearly politically driven rather than health. The indian variant is seeded in Ireland, the north just approved free CTA movement and Ireland is allowing free movement from south to north, so there is no rarrier between Ireland and whatever variants the UK has. Keeping a ban on CTA movement is ludicrous and petty.
    I can’t believe this. I live in the UK and haven’t been back to Ireland in 18 months. I was going to go home via Belfast recently, then thought ‘no, I’ll wait for the announcement’ because Dublin is a lot easier for me, and after all this now they seem to be indicating July 19th earliest for the UK?! They can stick it now at this stage. I’ll be coming via Belfast like thousands of others just fed up of this s**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

titan18 wrote: »
    Important part there is this imo

He said some other countries will still be on a red or danger list when international travel is allowed, where restrictions will still be tough.

Mr Varadkar warned that for some people who book a trip to a country that is not on the red list, it may be on the list by the time that person is returning home

Is that EU countries included or non EU, cos that's messy

Would that not defeat the purpose of the green certificate which is to allow unrestricted travel within the EU?

Hiwever, flight prices will skyrocket from tomorrow onwards so that will put a lot of people off

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gael23 wrote: »
    Would that not defeat the purpose of the green certificate which is to allow unrestricted travel within the EU?

Hiwever, flight prices will skyrocket from tomorrow onwards so that will put a lot of people off

They're already up on last night, flights that were 20 quid yesterday evening are 80,90 quid now

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I hope Aer Lingus are going to increase the flights to Uk!

They're already up on last night, flights that were 20 quid yesterday evening are 80,90 quid now

Yeah just looked at London for august, double in the last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Gael23 wrote: »

I just checked my flights to Spain in August out of interest.

They are about €220 more, for 4 people return, than when I booked back in Jan and I'd say they'll go even higher after the official announcement today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Yeah, flight prices are already flying up. Just booked Corfu 24th July. Had to pay 20 quid extra per seat. Done and dusted. Other options I was looking at were a good bit more.

I just checked my flights to Spain in August out of interest.

They are about €220 more, for 4 people return, than when I booked back in Jan and I'd say they'll go even higher after the official announcement today

EI want €240 including a checked bag return to LHR 2nd week of August

I can’t believe this. I live in the UK and haven’t been back to Ireland in 18 months. I was going to go home via Belfast recently, then thought ‘no, I’ll wait for the announcement’ because Dublin is a lot easier for me, and after all this now they seem to be indicating July 19th earliest for the UK?! They can stick it now at this stage. I’ll be coming via Belfast like thousands of others just fed up of this s**t.

What is it exactly that you are waiting for? Until the need to self isolate is gone is it? Or why would you come back through Belfast instead of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Time to get things in place for August and late July... thank f*ck... although I'll be fully vaccinated by end June and in fairness would like to see the UK in early July, wonder if the Uk will get a travel corridor...

From what I heard him saying there will not be any expedition of GB because there is uncertainty re Indian variant. I suspect he really wants it open such that as vaccination extends and it becomes clear that there is no substantial spike in hospitalisations in the U.K. then GB will get a preferred state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cottonsocks

bubblypop wrote: »
    What is it exactly that you are waiting for? Until the need to self isolate is gone is it? Or why would you come back through Belfast instead of Dublin?

What’s put me off Dublin is needing the PCR test (or is it two? I think it’s two, second after fifth day). Needing to isolate yes, but also the fact that I know of a few others living here who tired to go home without an essential reason and were either turned back or put into quarantine hotel.

It all sounds like so much hassle, Belfast is looking very attractive now!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

What’s put me off Dublin is needing the PCR test (or is it two? I think it’s two, second after fifth day). Needing to isolate yes, but also the fact that I know of a few others living here who tired to go home without an essential reason and were either turned back or put into quarantine hotel.

I agree with you . Belfast is looking great ! The Irish gov have really made a shambles of this

Well firstly, if the need for tests and self isolation is in place, then it doesn't matter how you get here, you're still supposed to do it.
    Nobody is stopped coming into the country without an essential reason, that's just not true. Your friends must be lying to you.
    The only reason someone would be out into a hotel is because they came without a negative test.

If Dublin is easier, I don't see how the price of a pct test would put you off?
    My cousin came in from the UK yesterday, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

Car rental for Ireland has gone through the roof for August, must be everyone and their mother planning on coming home for a visit in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Well firstly, if the need for tests and self isolation is in place, then it doesn't matter how you get here, you're still supposed to do it.
    Nobody is stopped coming into the country without an essential reason, that's just not true. Your friends must be lying to you.
    The only reason someone would be out into a hotel is because they came without a negative test.

If Dublin is easier, I don't see how the price of a pct test would put you off?
    My cousin came in from the UK yesterday, no issues.

Can I ask how long your cousin is in ireland for ? Like are they here long enough to satisfy the authorities that they are doing self isolation for 5 days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

yer man! wrote: »
    Car rental for Ireland has gone through the roof for August, must be everyone and their mother planning on coming home for a visit in that time.

Car rental in Europe will be very expensive this Summer due to lack of availablity, so it's not just Ireland..
    You may get some of the smaller operators giving good deals in Europe still but expect a slightly older car with a few dings in it, and all the small cars will be gone..

Can I ask how long your cousin is in ireland for ? Like are they here long enough to satisfy the authorities that they are doing self isolation for 5 days ?

Yep, he will be here for almost 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

kilns wrote: »
    July 19 is crazy, so a fully vaccinated person will have to quarantine if they wanted to come between now and then! Will be interesting to see the fine print later

My own case I will be fully vaccinated by mid June and will return to Ireland early July, I am lucky as I dont mind quarantining but its nuts that I will have to

What hypothetical scenario would you rather. Suppose 10 unexpected family visitors arrive unannounced to your house straight from the airport from 10 different locations, and for whatever reason, you have to host them for a week while they quarantine there:

Scenario 1) You are fully vaccinated but the 10 visitors have no vaccination
    Scenario 2) You are not vaccinated, but the 10 visitors have been vaccinated.

You are not worried about passing it on to anyone else. You are just concerned with your own health so as to keep it simple. Which scenario is better for you?

Obviously the best scenario is a third one where you are fully vaccinated and they are fully vaccinated. But that isn't in the list for now

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Nobody is stopped coming into the country without an essential reason, that's just not true. .

I just want to ask about this part, why are immigration asking the reason for travelling to Ireland? If people can't be stopped I don't understand why they ask. Could I have refused to answer that question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

Any word on the fine? will it be extended post June?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Will antigen testing be available in Ireland for travel?
    The Certificate will be valid if one of the following apply:

Negative PCR test that is less than 72 hours old.
    Negative rapid test that is less than 24 hours old.
    Have tested positive for specific antibodies within the last 6 months.

https://twitter.com/EPPGroup/status/1395420301916360712

RobitTV wrote: »

https://twitter.com/EPPGroup/status/1395420301916360712
    Positive development

Antigen tests in Ireland? Sure they're only Snake oil!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

They are going to go tooth and nail against antigen tests for travel. There'll be a big backlash on this, especially if the EC is providing them free of charge, which seems to be the indication.

Irish Daily Mail is back with more misinformation on the front page today :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    "Irish holidaymakers can also look forward to trips abroad from July 19th, once they are fully vaccinated and provide a negative PCR test"

It's incredible the level misinformation that is currently running through this country. They don't want people travelling. They will continue to deceive people over the summer.

Irish Daily Mail is back with more misinformation on the front page today :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    It's incredible the level misinformation that is currently running through this country. They don't want people travelling. They will continue to deceive people over the summer.

Well you can travel now without the Vaccine, just need your negative PCR...

Vaccine should eliminate the need for PCR's.

• Advertisement

I guess a positive is that destination countries will allow antigen, so it’s only pcr for the flight home

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement