Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Is there anything authoritative on what will be required for children to travel using Green Cert? Will all children need a negative test, or is there an age criteria (e.g. children below a certain age won't need a test)?

Family holiday to France in August with young kids, so just wondering what we'll need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Anyone thinking of traveling from UK to Ireland to see family just go ahead.

PCR tests are £40 to £60 now.

I'm vaccinated and so is my family so we get the vaccine bonus!

I had my NHS lateral flow tests which you can get for free which I did every day and the Irish Gov give you a free test on day 5. (You need an Irish phone number) You can stay in your house until then but no one is checking!

No issues going back to UK so fire ahead. Over 15 babies on our flight heading back to meet Grannys for the first time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Blut2

RobitTV wrote: »
    Irish Daily Mail is back with more misinformation on the front page today rolleyes.pngrolleyes.png

It's incredible the level misinformation that is currently running through this country. They don't want people travelling. They will continue to deceive people over the summer.

One of the papers this morning reported it as "ability to travel once you're fully vaccinated and have a negative PCR test as well". I'm surprised they didn't throw in a requirement to have recovered from covid as well while they were at it.

Theres no way all these journalists can be so thick - the EU rules and regulations are very clear, and are found with 30 seconds of Googling. Its obviously a narrative being pushed from government statements.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Peckham wrote: »
    Is there anything authoritative on what will be required for children to travel using Green Cert? Will all children need a negative test, or is there an age criteria (e.g. children below a certain age won't need a test) .

Currently according to Citizens information site, if under 7 no tests required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭I see sheep

afatbollix wrote: »

I had my NHS lateral flow tests which you can get for free which I did every day and the Irish Gov give you a free test on day 5. (You need an Irish phone number) You can stay in your house until then but no one is checking!

No issues going back to UK so fire ahead. Over 15 babies on our flight heading back to meet Grannys for the first time. :)

If you flew into Ireland on a Friday and were back at Dublin Airport Monday to fly back to the UK what happens on the Monday at the Airport do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

If you flew into Ireland on a Friday and were back at Dublin Airport Monday to fly back to the UK what happens on the Monday at the Airport do you know?

You get on a plane and it flys to the UK.

You can leave your quarantine to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I can’t believe this. I live in the UK and haven’t been back to Ireland in 18 months. I was going to go home via Belfast recently, then thought ‘no, I’ll wait for the announcement’ because Dublin is a lot easier for me, and after all this now they seem to be indicating July 19th earliest for the UK?! They can stick it now at this stage. I’ll be coming via Belfast like thousands of others just fed up of this s**t.

Same. I came very close to changing my departure destination for end June to Dublin instead of belfast this week (thinking govt might do something logical based on a reasonable persons assessment of the risk of full CTA between NI and UK versus loss of jobs in Dublin).

Glad I didnt bother. Clearly Tony has spoken and that's literally the only thing FF take into account.

Must give a shout out also to the disgraceful Green party who have tourism and transport ministries and are just allowing Dublin airport lose another 6 weeks of business for no sensible reason when UK vaccinations are taken into account.

Roll on the general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Thanks for this, where are you finding pcr for £40 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭josip

When ministers talk about "Ireland adopting the EU Digital Covid Certificate", are they referring to?

1. Ireland accepting the Cert from inbound travellers or
    2. Providing a Cert to Irish citizens (via App) which could be used for outbound travel.
    Is it possible that 1 & 2 could happen on different dates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

josip wrote: »
    When ministers talk about "Ireland adopting the EU Digital Covid Certificate", are they referring to?

1. Ireland accepting the Cert from inbound travellers or
    2. Providing a Cert to Irish citizens (via App) which could be used for outbound travel.
    Is it possible that 1 & 2 could happen on different dates?

No doubt there’ll be a go slow on issuing certs, they’ll blame IT issues - possibly real delays due to general incompetence too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭brickster69

Portugal relaxes safety rules for Saturdays football match. 80 flights due to arrive with fans plus those who turn up that are holidaying there.

https://www.aipsmedia.com/index.html?page=artdetail&art=29727

Will be interesting to see the figures in a few weeks

https://twitter.com/GlobalNewsToda3/status/1398236690691592193

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I just want to ask about this part, why are immigration asking the reason for travelling to Ireland? If people can't be stopped I don't understand why they ask. Could I have refused to answer that question?

Because they are immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Portugal relaxes safety rules for Saturdays football match. 80 flights due to arrive with fans plus those who turn up that are holidaying there.

https://www.aipsmedia.com/index.html?page=artdetail&art=29727

Will be interesting to see the figures in a few weeks

https://twitter.com/GlobalNewsToda3/status/1398236690691592193

Well if they already have plenty of the Indian variant I doubt one football match will make much of a difference. It sounds like Portugal's president is expecting cases to rise in general and is perfectly happy about that given vaccination coverage:

https://www.portugalresident.com/marcelo-defends-changes-to-portugal-risk-matrix-to-take-vaccination-into-account/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=marcelo-defends-changes-to-portugal-risk-matrix-to-take-vaccination-into-account

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

bubblypop wrote: »
    Because they are immigration.

But Irish passport holders and EU citizens can travel to Ireland freely.

So what is the reason they are asking?

Gov.ie states

" The government advises against all non-essential international travel.

All passengers arriving in Ireland must:

• complete a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form
    • provide evidence that you have a negative or ‘not detected’ result from a COVID-19 Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test carried out no more than 72 hours before you arrive into Ireland, or have evidence that you are exempt from this legal requirement

If you are travelling from or via a designated state then you must also pre-book and pre-pay for a place in a designated facility for mandatory hotel quarantine."

They are "advising" against travel, and the €2k fine is for leaving Ireland, so what is the reason for asking?
    If I give a non-essential reason and I can't be fined what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

From everything I’ve read over the last 24 hours I think it’s a safe bet the €2,000 fine remains until Midnight July 18th.

With the CTA with the UK not reopening until July 19th it seems all the stars have aligned for the government on this issue so anyone with travel plans before it needs to get their essential reason sorted prior to travelling.

A total disaster to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

From everything I’ve read over the last 24 hours I think it’s a safe bet the €2,000 fine remains until Midnight July 18th.

With the CTA with the UK not reopening until July 19th it seems all the stars have aligned for the government on this issue so anyone with travel plans before it needs to get their essential reason sorted prior to travelling.

I pray you are wrong. So fed up of this rain.

But Irish passport holders and EU citizens can travel to Ireland freely.

So what is the reason they are asking?

Gov.ie states

" The government advises against all non-essential international travel.

All passengers arriving in Ireland must:

• complete a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form
    • provide evidence that you have a negative or ‘not detected’ result from a COVID-19 Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test carried out no more than 72 hours before you arrive into Ireland, or have evidence that you are exempt from this legal requirement

If you are travelling from or via a designated state then you must also pre-book and pre-pay for a place in a designated facility for mandatory hotel quarantine."

They are "advising" against travel, and the €2k fine is for leaving Ireland, so what is the reason for asking?
    If I give a non-essential reason and I can't be fined what happens?

Non essential travel into Ireland is not illegal.
    Some travellers into the country are exempt from the need to fill out locator forms of self isolate.
    Perhaps they are informing people of the rules and regulations that apply to them, depending on their reason for travel?

Looks likely.

Non essential travel into Ireland is not illegal.
    Some travellers into the country are exempt from the need to fill out locator forms of self isolate.
    Perhaps they are informing people of the rules and regulations that apply to them, depending on their reason for travel?

Maybe, well my partner is arriving next week so I'll see soon enough how much sh!t she gets.

Edit: Although when I arrived four weeks ago they asked my reason, I told them, and they didn't advise anything so.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

You get on a plane and it flys to the UK.

You can leave your quarantine to travel.

So can you arrive on a Friday with Neg pcr test , fill in locator form then arrive back to the airport to fly back to the uk after two days without any questions being asked ? I thought you’d have to be in the country longer than the 5 days to prove you’ve adhered to the self isolation

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Or leave via belfast/uk and avoid getting interrogated like a common criminal or fined or turned around or sent to hotel prison.

We have honestly the weakest most embarrassing buffoon at the helm.

Maybe, well my partner is arriving next week so I'll see soon enough how much sh!t she gets.

Edit: Although when I arrived four weeks ago they asked my reason, I told them, and they didn't advise anything so.....

She probably won't get any ****, is she an Irish passport holder?
    Maybe you didn't need any advise ?

So can you arrive on a Friday with Neg pcr test , fill in locator form then arrive back to the airport to fly back to the uk after two days without any questions being asked ? I thought you’d have to be in the country longer than the 5 days to prove you’ve adhered to the self isolation

Sure what can they do if you're returning to your home? That's allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭josip

If you depart before July 19th but return after, you could still be issued with a €2000 fine if your trip is non-essential ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

kilns wrote: »
    Daily Mail reporting that Ireland this week will announce no boundaries for UK travellers to Ireland

Irish Times just announcing that the Green Cert will come into place mid July

If they allow free access between the UK and Ireland and not Europe, then nobody should allow them mention the word variant again

Daily Mail - Null Points

Irish Times - Curiously Close

Variants - No Comment available

:pac:

She probably won't get any ****, is she an Irish passport holder?
    Maybe you didn't need any advise ?

No she's EU. We'll see, well I guess Irish immigration can't be any worse than Eastern European police/immigration. And I've survived many encounters with them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

You've been banging that drum for weeks, is it that deep down you want the fine to remain?

That fine can hardly be legal so how can they justify extending it after June 2nd? Remember it is due to expire and has to actually be extended. Now I've no illusions about Donnelly and quite frankly despise him as a Minister as I think he's a disaster. So I am well aware that he would probably be delighted to extend it. But with growing opposition to their policies, not least from our large expat population, I think there is a reasonable chance it will be let lapse on June 2nd. What may happen is that it might lapse quietly.

No she's EU. We'll see, well I guess Irish immigration can't be any worse than Eastern European police/immigration. And I've survived many encounters with them. :pac:

She'll be grand. Aren't we all allowed a social.bubble or something anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

josip wrote: »
    If you depart before July 19th but return after, you could still be issued with a €2000 fine if your trip is non-essential ?

It looks that way, although I pray they quietly let the fine expire on June 2nd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement