Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

It looks that way, although I pray they quietly let the fine expire on June 2nd

That is a very feasible possibility and like you I have all fingers and toes crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 adubintipp2

From everything I’ve read over the last 24 hours I think it’s a safe bet the €2,000 fine remains until Midnight July 18th.

With the CTA with the UK not reopening until July 19th it seems all the stars have aligned for the government on this issue so anyone with travel plans before it needs to get their essential reason sorted prior to travelling.

A total disaster to be honest.

Much as I think it makes no sense to keep the fine and goes against the spirit of "freedom of movement", I suspect you might be correct. After all, they kept the inter county fine until the day they allowed inter county travel. That said, can't see a Guard being too worried about fining anyone after late June / early July, unless they get cheeky with them

Politically, the main counter argument would be that the usual suspects have made such a fuss about extending the "emergency" powers, that they can hardly complain if the fine is removed. But I am not sure what the upside is for the government, if they drop the fine early, and we get "scary variants", they will be accused of mixed messaging

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Maybe someone like Faceman could advise the latest on masks outdoors in Spain?

A week or two ago the demise of this rule appeared to be imminent but since then all has gone quiet..

Any update from ground?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

From everything I’ve read over the last 24 hours I think it’s a safe bet the €2,000 fine remains until Midnight July 18th.

With the CTA with the UK not reopening until July 19th it seems all the stars have aligned for the government on this issue so anyone with travel plans before it needs to get their essential reason sorted prior to travelling.

A total disaster to be honest.

From reading the rules around the €2,000 fine and what constitutes 'essential travel', it seems like if someone is travelling for a medical/dental reason, then someone who lives with them can go also as this is deemed essential also.

Might be helpful to know for some on here.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/travelling_abroad_during_covid.html#l225d3

Much as I think it makes no sense to keep the fine and goes against the spirit of "freedom of movement", I suspect you might be correct. After all, they kept the inter county fine until the day they allowed inter county travel. That said, can't see a Guard being too worried about fining anyone after late June / early July, unless they get cheeky with them

Politically, the main counter argument would be that the usual suspects have made such a fuss about extending the "emergency" powers, that they can hardly complain if the fine is removed. But I am not sure what the upside is for the government, if they drop the fine early, and we get "scary variants", they will be accused of mixed messaging

Agree with a lot of this and even if the fine is extended it could become one of the many laws that are never enforced especially as we get nearer the official date.

However the one big danger that remains while that fine is in place is flight cancellations. So enforced or not, people finding excuses to travel or not, that headache remains because clearly you'll have less people travelling with that threat hanging over them and more likelihood of flights being pulled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Hard to tell from he Independent article but it mentions in a seperate paragraph fully vaccinated people do not have to have PCR test or would have to quarantine. I wonder is that also from July 19 or with immediate effective.

Here in Switzerland with immediate effect, fully vaccinated people can move freely

Will know more later i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

kilns wrote: »
    Hard to tell from he Independent article but it mentions in a seperate paragraph fully vaccinated people do not have to have PCR test or would have to quarantine. I wonder is that also from July 19 or with immediate effective.

Here in Switzerland with immediate effect, fully vaccinated people can move freely

Will know more later i guess

Plan to be confirmed is 19th July, fully vax come and go as you please as normal within EU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

You've been banging that drum for weeks, is it that deep down you want the fine to remain?

That fine can hardly be legal so how can they justify extending it after June 2nd? Remember it is due to expire and has to actually be extended. Now I've no illusions about Donnelly and quite frankly despise him as a Minister as I think he's a disaster. So I am well aware that he would probably be delighted to extend it. But with growing opposition to their policies, not least from our large expat population, I think there is a reasonable chance it will be let lapse on June 2nd. What may happen is that it might lapse quietly.

Deep down I want it to remain????? Hardly. I'm travelling on June 28th. And Ive complained to the European Commission, my MEP's and TD's about it's disproportionality.

I just firmly believe that's what will happen. Why would the government allow travel on July 19th but let the travel fine lapse on the 2nd of June? Makes no sense. Particularly when it only takes the stroke of a pen to extend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If you are exempt from MHQ having been fully vaccinated do you still have to quarantine at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Plan to be confirmed is 19th July, fully vax come and go as you please as normal within EU

Any info on kids? At present over 6’s need a PCR to enter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

pc7 wrote: »
    Its so good to have something to look forward too, I booked this week and its given me such a lift, cannot wait for heat on my bones! :D

this *10000. i need somethin to look forward to, and for me its family holidays.

got away last year thank god, but this year was bleak.

im like a kid the last few days, even though its from Belfast (i live beside Dublin Airport), im excited ta ****.

i work my ass off 5 days a week and need the holiday plan to keep me sane..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Gael23 wrote: »
    If you are exempt from MHQ having been fully vaccinated do you still have to quarantine at home?

In Ireland weird and wacky restrictions I think you do yes , I'm open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Deep down I want it to remain????? Hardly. I'm travelling on June 28th. And Ive complained to the European Commission, my MEP's and TD's about it's disproportionality.

I just firmly believe that's what will happen. Why would the government allow travel on July 19th but let the travel fine lapse on the 2nd of June? Makes no sense. Particularly when it only takes the stroke of a pen to extend it.

That’s logical but maybe they might keep the quarantine requirements, PCR and drop fine until 18th. And then 19th drop quarantine and PCR requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

bubblypop wrote: »
    Sure what can they do if you're returning to your home? That's allowed.

True . Ive just realized though that the people I’m asking about have flights booked to come just for a weekend visit so fri - sun . I doubt that would pass immigrations as it stands right now because they won’t be here long enough to even do the self isolation?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

True . Ive just realized though that the people I’m asking about have flights booked to come just for a weekend visit so fri - sun . I doubt that would pass immigrations as it stands right now because they won’t be here long enough to even do the self isolation?

There are no fines for arriving in Ireland, so unless they deny them entry (which I doubt immigration have grounds to do) I cannot see them having such an issue.

It is a different fine for breaking home quarantine. Is there anything published on the number of such fines issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

IQO wrote: »

They received the criteria MHQ is based on? So Donnelly sent them a picture of his dart board?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Gael23 wrote: »

Yes, you don't have to do the hotel quarantine but you still have to quarantine at home.

My apologies to you. I remember now that indeed you did take the trouble to complain and told us about the officious attitude you got back from a FF TD. I complained when MHQ was extended to EU countries, to the EU and to my TDs but didn't have the time to complain again when the fine was extended.

BUT, will you do yourself and the rest of us a favour with your "firmly believe"and absolute conviction talk of the fine continuing. Jesus you'll make it happen! :eek: But look it's not that clear cut. I can follow your logic but the fact is the fine is disproportionate, many have complained, there is quite a backlash from the expat community plus smaller Irish airports are on their knees and trying to get back up again in June. The fine would kill them. Are our Govt that crazy? Maybe they are and maybe they're not. Remember they don't have to do anything other than just let it lapse. It would be a horrendous move to renew it and keep it up to 19th June, a move they're undoubtedly capable of but will they actually do it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Feria40 wrote: »
    Maybe someone like Faceman could advise the latest on masks outdoors in Spain?

A week or two ago the demise of this rule appeared to be imminent but since then all has gone quiet..

Any update from ground?

TIA

Funnily enough it’s in the Spanish news again today. Linked below but it’s in Spanish

In short no decision yet but department of health is still studying it and there is lots of discussion on it.

It looks like outdoors masks may be dropped by August latest. They don’t want to do it too soon and send the wrong message (there’s a push to get more vaccines in arms first) but at the same the noise about having to wear masks outdoors in sparsely populated areas is loud.

One things I’ve noticed over the past month is that it doesn’t seem to be as enforced as hard, outdoors anyway.

https://elpais.com/sociedad/2021-05-28/hacia-el-fin-de-las-mascarillas-al-aire-libre.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

matrim wrote: »
    Yes, you don't have to do the hotel quarantine but you still have to quarantine at home.
    If you're staying in a hotel is it mandatory to quarantine? :pac:

I’m unable to parse all the reportage today — when it is written that unessential travel will reopen from July 19, does this include inbound travel from outside the EU?

Also, although MHQ will continue, I understand it will not apply to those who have a negative PCR or who are vaccinated with an EMA vaccine — am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Sky News: 4,182 COVID-19 cases have been reported in the UK - the highest daily total since 1 April.

Deaths still remain low and the vaccine rollout is progressing strongly. You do wonder though how some EU countries will react if the Indian variant spreads rapidly in the UK over the coming weeks. Might put summer travel in danger if extra measures are imposed. (Quarantine and extra testing for UK travellers?) this is all speculation for now...

But France and Germany imposing extra measures is not a positive sign for the UK at this current time.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gallyind

RobitTV wrote: »
    Sky News: 4,182 COVID-19 cases have been reported in the UK - the highest daily total since 1 April.

Deaths still remain low and the vaccine rollout is progressing strongly. You do wonder though how some EU countries will react if the Indian variant spreads rapidly in the UK over the coming weeks. Might put summer travel in danger if extra measures are imposed. (Quarantine and extra testing for UK travellers?) this is all speculation for now...

But France and Germany imposing extra measures is not a positive sign for the UK at this current time.

Were in the end game now, Life will move on, other crisis will come......

once the vunerable and aged were vaccinated, its about risk, and we all know its much reduced now Thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Which is the equivalent of 270 cases here. So no real biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭brickster69

I don't think many will have any intention of going to France or Germany in the short term. Ten times as many people dying per day and far higher cases with a third less testing going on.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

From what I've read the UK are just about well vaccinated enough to resist a large wave of infection from the Indian variant, but it's a close call.

We're currently 2 months behind them in vaccination terms and whilst we should close that gap to around 5 weeks by the time we reopen indoor dining, a lot of those will be newly vaccinated people with lower levels of protection.

The u-turn on reopening the CTA in advance of EU travel seems sensible, since PCR testing apparently did little to stop that variant from being heavily seeded in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Which is the equivalent of 270 cases here. So no real biggie.

With way more testing in the UK too - close to a million tests today, around 0.4% of tests coming out positive (was about 2.5% tests positive here last we heard).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

embraer170 wrote: »
    There are no fines for arriving in Ireland, so unless they deny them entry (which I doubt immigration have grounds to do) I cannot see them having such an issue.

It is a different fine for breaking home quarantine. Is there anything published on the number of such fines issues?

That would interest me too. I'm not aware of any data on that. I suspect that there are few to no controls being done at this stage. Am flying to Ireland soon to see elderly parents, both vaccinated, I will have pcr test and one vaccination dose by that stage, certainly not intending to spend the first 5 days locked in my room and not even going for a walk or to the supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭brickster69

Lumen wrote: »
    From what I've read the UK are just about well vaccinated enough to resist a large wave of infection from the Indian variant, but it's a close call.

We're currently 2 months behind them in vaccination terms and whilst we should close that gap to around 5 weeks by the time we reopen indoor dining, a lot of those will be newly vaccinated people with lower levels of protection.

The u-turn on reopening the CTA in advance of EU travel seems sensible, since PCR testing apparently did little to stop that variant from being heavily seeded in the UK.

So by that logic, the countries that are behind the UK are far more at risk of a large wave of infection from the Indian variant. Just my idea but possibly opening up this international travel may not be the best idea at this time. Hopefully i am wrong.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement