Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Tazz T wrote: »
    Greece want the $s and the £s. They accept that inter-EU travel will happen. They need the US and the UK.

True the alternative is to tell the French that they cannot travel to Greece but the yanks and Brits can.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

They have no such powers beyond search of baggage.

I'm not talking about the baggage scanners I'm talking about the airport police, who absolutely do have the powers under airport by-laws.

Won't happen anyway so a moot point.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Since early last year they've had no issues checking everyone coming through arrivals has the contact tracing form filled in, I don't know why you think a different document would be a any significant difference to their workload.

I'm be pretty confident airport security already have powers to stop you boarding too.

The search unit have no such powers. Immigration check your arrival documents.

Airport police / Gardai have no power to deny boarding based on documentation alone. They certainly have powers to deny boarding for other reasons but documentation is not within their remit.

Of course, such a power could exist with a swish of the ministers pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

The search unit have no such powers. Immigration check your arrival documents.

Airport police / Gardai have no power to deny boarding based on documentation alone. They certainly have powers to deny boarding for other reasons but documentation is not within their remit.

Of course, such a power could exist with a swish of the ministers pen.

so we could have the same as North Korea be careful what you wish for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Do people envisage the €2,000 fines etc persisting into the Autumn? At Christmas? 2022?

• Advertisement

RobitTV wrote: »
    Two places that happen to be on the same Island within a short distance from one another and that can be accessed without border restrictions. Just a unique situation. I suppose the people in Letterkenny can just go to Derry for shopping or fly from Belfast for a holiday.

You mean like every country on the continent?
    I never understand why people think Ireland is somehow unique having 2 countries on one island!

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Do people envisage the €2,000 fines etc persisting into the Autumn? At Christmas? 2022?

As far as I am aware, the proposed 2000 euro has not been brought in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

From Breaking news this morning;

The Dáil will today debate legislation that would provide mandatory hotel quarantine for people coming here from 20 high-risk areas.

It will also affect arrivals without a negative Covid-19 test, but Opposition TDs will today call for it to affect everyone coming into the country.

However, the Government will stand firm on the policy of mandatory quarantine for the 20 listed countries and those without a negative Covid-19 test.

Looks like the shinners want everybody quarantined. Seeing as the north is technically a different country, does that quarantine apply to members of the army council coming to give Mary Lou her instructions? : )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

bubblypop wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, the proposed 2000 euro has not been brought in?

Thanks. I am not keeping up with everything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

bubblypop wrote: »
    You mean like every country on the continent?
    I never understand why people think Ireland is somehow unique having 2 countries on one island!

Yes but then you have some people who support a 'United Ireland' and then most of those supporters weren't too bothered when the Gardai started fining people for entering Northern Ireland. Despite the fact the EU, Ireland and Britain never wanted this along the border during the Brexit negotiations. I understand they put this in place because of the pandemic. But it's still the 'hard border' they all wanted to never happen. Something like this could cause tension in the north.

We have a unique history between our two nations. Considering the amount of trouble and instability that has occurred within that border region. And with clashing cultures / religions to top it all off. Hundreds of years of troubled history between our two nations.

But this is all for another day and another thread before I and we both get in trouble for drifting away from travel :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Leo on morning ire this morning saying it didn’t make sense to quarantine people coming from low covid area’s, gave example of Isle of Man also mentioned travel bubbles so maybe a glimmer of hope

This is good news for a change. 'Travel bubbles' being mentioned by Leo is surprising. Travel may well be possible this summer if everything goes directly to plan regarding the covid figures in Ireland and in Europe.

Any thoughts as to when the passport office will reopen? We're booked for early July, and my wife applied for a renewal a few weeks ago. Could it be April 5th?

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Any thoughts as to when the passport office will reopen? We're booked for early July, and my wife applied for a renewal a few weeks ago. Could it be April 5th?

It could be April 5th, but I really wouldn't be confident in that date :( I think early May is more possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Interesting article re passports from the IT

The rest of Europe will be working on travel bubbles and opening up intra-Europe travel and our day late dollar short mob of are still trying to figure out quarantine!

It could be April 5th, but I really wouldn't be confident in that date :( I think early May is more possible.

Thanks! Might still get one even with a May opening. It's just a shame it's hers and not mine, as I could get one on an emergency basis easily enough.

Thanks! Might still get one even with a May opening. It's just a shame it's hers and not mine, as I could get one on an emergency basis easily enough.

Yeah I think you'll be grand with May. It's just a shame they aren't open now and getting on with processing the passports.

I'm heading away in July too. I'm a little more confident now after hearing about possible 'travel bubbles' - could make life easier. Hopefully no expensive PCR test which would be great. And my nose and mouth could do without the discomfort of the test :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah I think you'll be grand with May. It's just a shame they aren't open now and getting on with processing the passports.

I'm heading away in July too. I'm a little more confident now after hearing about possible 'travel bubbles' - could make life easier. Hopefully no expensive PCR test which would be great. And my nose and mouth could do without the discomfort of the test :D
    I would be really surprised if the negative PCR is dropped by then, but sure we will see

gmisk wrote: »
    I would be really surprised if the negative PCR is dropped by then, but sure we will see

Yeah I'm probably being on the very optimistic side with that one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

There was a lot about zero covid and hotel quarantine on tv and radio yesterday. Not once did I hear it mentioned that we have an open border with another country.
    New variants and infections can just as easily come over the border as they can come in through our own airports and ferry ports.

If opposition TDs are serious about shutting what's left of aviation etc and going for zero covid I assume they want roads blocked all along the border? Otherwise what's the point? This really should have been put to the likes of Alan Kelly yesterday while he was doing his usual grandstanding. The thing is if you mute your TV while he's speaking you can actually hear him argue against all of what he was saying, just as he would be, if he was in government.

• Advertisement

To be honest I'd get over the tests just to get out. As long as the fines are gone I'm happy. Just need to feel the warn Italian sun this year :cool:. I'm guessing the testing and quarantine will still be there, but at least it'll keep the Joe Duffy listeners off our cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

a clanger wrote: »
    Interesting article re passports from the IT

The rest of Europe will be working on travel bubbles and opening up intra-Europe travel and our day late dollar short mob of are still trying to figure out quarantine!

Ya, my passport is out of date so i've no valid ID atm as i can't get it renewed (don't have a drivers license). Probably be May before they reopen at best I'd say and probably waiting 3 months after that with the backlog.

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, my passport is out of date so i've no valid ID atm as i can't get it renewed (don't have a drivers license). Probably be May before they reopen at best I'd say and probably waiting 3 months after that with the backlog.

The fact that you have no other form of ID might give you a case to get it issued at the moment. I'd look deeper into that.

The fact that you have no other form of ID might give you a case to get it issued at the moment. I'd look deeper into that.

Site says only reasons are

An emergency is defined as death or grave illness of an immediate family member, with a need for urgent travel within the next few days or for emergency medical treatment of the applicant

so i'd imagine not. Wonder can I book some dental treatment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

I just received an email saying my Irish driving license is ready after converting from UK. I applied mid December, so if the NDLS are working and its taking 2.5 months I'd say the 3 month backlog mentioned above is probably on the money. The question is why have they suspended passport issue when NDLS and revenue can work away no problem. This I see will be the biggest problem 5K / Fines /passports etc , this govt will happily try keep the majority in situ until Sept. While its irrelevant at the moment no one even mentions the green list at the moment as a target for opening travel. My guess we will be in travel lockdown (outside Ireland) longer than our EU colleagues not by way of some devious plan ....just incompetence

I just received an email saying my Irish driving license is ready after converting from UK. I applied mid December, so if the NDLS are working and its taking 2.5 months I'd say the 3 month backlog mentioned above is probably on the money. The question is why have they suspended passport issue when NDLS and revenue can work away no problem. This I see will be the biggest problem 5K / Fines /passports etc , this govt will happily try keep the majority in situ until Sept. While its irrelevant at the moment no one even mentions the green list at the moment as a target for opening travel. My guess we will be in travel lockdown (outside Ireland) longer than our EU colleagues not by way of some devious plan ....just incompetence

I'm pretty sure the closing of passport services is intentional and not a we're not in the office cos of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

To be honest I'd get over the tests just to get out. As long as the fines are gone I'm happy. Just need to feel the warn Italian sun this year :cool:. I'm guessing the testing and quarantine will still be there, but at least it'll keep the Joe Duffy listeners off our cases.

There is no quarantine.

Is there any real and genuine reason why during a pendamic and we have people WFH or laidoff, people cant apply in good time to renew a document that lasts 10 years?

It should be obvious to most adults that it may require a longer period of time to deal with. Leaving your passport run down is entirely on the applicants head

Acosta wrote: »
    There was a lot about zero covid and hotel quarantine on tv and radio yesterday. Not once did I hear it mentioned that we have an open border with another country.
    New variants and infections can just as easily come over the border as they can come in through our own airports and ferry ports.

If opposition TDs are serious about shutting what's left of aviation etc and going for zero covid I assume they want roads blocked all along the border? Otherwise what's the point? This really should have been put to the likes of Alan Kelly yesterday while he was doing his usual grandstanding. The thing is if you mute your TV while he's speaking you can actually hear him argue against all of what he was saying, just as he would be, if he was in government.

The border is a very large political issue as I am sure you are aware. Its a delicate matter that could see a return to serious violence in the north. You cant just ignore thousands of people that are legally citizens of Ireland and travel on our passports.

Im not saying I disagree that closing the border isnt a sensible move if we are going to vilify travel, just thats its not that simple

• Advertisement

There is no quarantine.

there is, albeit in your own home and subject to certain conditions being met on arrival

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement