Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Wallander wrote: »
    I was just thinking about the collapse of cases in continental Europe we have discussed here recently. My very amateur theory behind it is that by allowing infections to run at a higher level throughout the past year with looser restrictions relative to Ireland, most European countries are gaining the first benefits of group immunity at a lower vaccination rate to Ireland (as they have more people who already acquired immunity via infections).

I could be wrong but I expect we are heading into a period when Ireland will have one of the highest infection rates in the EU until vaccinations allow us to catch up.

The Czech Republic has the highest cumulative infection rate in the EU with about 15.57%

Ireland is about 5.26%. So that is only a difference of about ~10% in terms of rates of "immunity" from catching it. That 10% isn't going to greatly affect anything

(As an aside, the rate of population with at least one vaccine is 46.1% for Ireland vs 40% in the Czech Republic)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

The Czech Republic has the highest cumulative infection rate in the EU with about 15.57%

Ireland is about 5.26%. So that is only a difference of about ~10% in terms of rates of "immunity" from catching it. That 10% isn't going to greatly affect anything

(As an aside, the rate of population with at least one vaccine is 46.1% for Ireland vs 40% in the Czech Republic)

I see it as a short-term rather than long-term situation, but I think an extra 10% immunity could indeed make a difference for a while. Given all infection rates would be underestimates, the true rates could be less like 5-15 and closer to 10-30. I see Czech infection rates are following the continental trend of a sharp dip downwards, their 7-day average is now less than Ireland's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Might be of interest to you,
    Cumulative gardening of blood test since last March
    Both public and private testing gave in the region of between 8 and 10million poles have had antibodies present in there blood samples.
    This information was released by the health minister here last month.
    A bit of controversy over the fact that most didn't give consent for there blood samples to be tested for covid antibodies
    Add in over 20 million have received at least there first does ,infection rates here have crashed over the last 2 weeks.
    Heard immunity is expected by the end of June according to polish health ministry officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Hellrazer wrote: »
    This is a bit ****ty- Would they really stop a parent with a child from boarding if the child tested positive while away?

What are the requirements to enter Belfast from Spain at the minute?

I might have to change my flights if NI doesn't require a PCR from Spain.

I checked and NI require PCR tests for entry too but looks like only for over 11 year olds, unlike here where it's over 7 to make sure it ****s up plans for as many families as possible (because there always has to be a little kick for paddy any time daddy Tony "lets" us have a bit of freedom)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jsoc

Anyone know if the 2000 euro travel fine will be renewed next week up to (incl.) July 18th or is it wait and see what happens next week?
    According to https://assets.gov.ie/134499/bb2a7e1a-4170-446d-b09d-9c024dff8d0c.pdf , the current regulations remain in operation until June 2nd...Is there a newer update to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

jsoc wrote: »
    Anyone know if the 2000 euro travel fine will be renewed next week up to (incl.) July 18th or is it wait and see what happens next week?
    According to https://assets.gov.ie/134499/bb2a7e1a-4170-446d-b09d-9c024dff8d0c.pdf , the current regulations remain in operation until June 2nd...Is there a newer update to this?

Nope there isn't. And many of us are waiting in bated breath to see what happens there. I would expect that many are planning to travel before July 19th so it affects them hugely. I'm amazed there's not more talk about it. Last time it was due to expire on May 10th, the day inter county travel came back, but a sneaky little stroke of a pen by Donnelly at the eleventh hour extended it until June 2nd. That's democracy Irish style for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Nope there isn't. And many of us are waiting in bated breath to see what happens there. I would expect that many are planning to travel before July 19th so it affects them hugely. I'm amazed there's not more talk about it. Last time it was due to expire on May 10th, the day inter county travel came back, but a sneaky little stroke of a pen by Donnelly at the eleventh hour extended it until June 2nd. That's democracy Irish style for you!

I’m in the same boat as Nua. Waiting anxiously. Unlike him I believe it will be extended right up to July 18th which would a tremendous kick in the balls to put in bluntly.

I’m in the same boat as Nua. Waiting anxiously. Unlike him I believe it will be extended right up to July 18th which would a tremendous kick in the balls to put in bluntly.

We'll have to have alternative arrangements on the ready. I'm more worried about flight cancellations. My mid June flight from Cork is still scheduled to go but I'm very anxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

We'll have to have alternative arrangements on the ready. I'm more worried about flight cancellations. My mid June flight from Cork is still scheduled to go but I'm very anxious.

I can imagine if it does get extended it might not be policed.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

What are your thoughts now on uk & Irish travel ? I feel like over the next week they might review it and open it up? Just a theory but I just can’t see them not opening up the common travel route when the USA can travel to Ireland now without MHQ! I can’t get my head around it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

We've decided to fly with KLM via Amsterdam, don't trust Aer Lingus as they have already shifted the dates on our outbound flight. KLM on the other hand have been rock solid flying into Dublin everyday.

Darwin wrote: »
    We've decided to fly with KLM via Amsterdam, don't trust Aer Lingus as they have already shifted the dates on our outbound flight. KLM on the other hand have been rock solid flying into Dublin everyday.

AL have gone really bad for messing and cancelling but I think Ryanair are better. I've car hire booked too based on the flight arrival and with car hire costs having gone through the roof a flight change /cancellation would really be inconvenient.

Do you seriously believe it is legally sound?

Not a single judge has said otherwise so again, what is your argument based on?

I just got a text from a friend of mine saying some Green TD let slip in a radio interview in the last few minutes that the travel fine will be let expire. Tried to backtrack but let the cat out of the bag.

Please Christ let this be true.

Firstly my Aer Lingus flight was cancelled. So booked Ryanair for same day. Then email from Ryanair saying my flight was moved forward 24 hours. Thankfully it still suits.

The fines going to be extended.

They have said the 19th July is the date for Non essential travel.

This is a bit ****ty- Would they really stop a parent with a child from boarding if the child tested positive while away?

What are the requirements to enter Belfast from Spain at the minute?

I might have to change my flights if NI doesn't require a PCR from Spain.

Are you suggesting that they should allow a positive person on the plane?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Are you suggesting that they should allow a positive person on the plane?

An underage minor travelling with a parent.
    Surely there has to be some leeway?

Non essential travel is an advisory. So that advisory can remain in place until the 19th, the fine doesn't have to accompany it.

Unless you can back up your assertion with evidence that the fine will be extended I'd be more inclined to take note of what that Green TD let slip. Not that I'd have much faith either in what comes out of their mouths but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

Have they made this official? Any links?

• Advertisement

Firstly my Aer Lingus flight was cancelled. So booked Ryanair for same day. Then email from Ryanair saying my flight was moved forward 24 hours. Thankfully it still suits.

Did Ryanair give you much advance notice? My flight is in exactly two weeks.

Of course not. The parent stays with the child.

That's not a new thing or ight for covid either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Could it be that the reopening of the CTA has been left deliberately vague so that they can change their position on it at anytime without losing face?

It was essentially left out of the speech, signing up to the EU Digital Cert does not cover the UK.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Of course not. The parent stays with the child.

That's not a new thing or ight for covid either

Were just not sure how we would handle it. I asked a genuine question. It looks like we'll have to weigh up our options and decide if it's worth the risk.
    Its a campsite by the way so mostly outdoor activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

They can't allow anyone positive to fly, regardless of age. Leeway can't apply when it means risking the health of every other passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I think however we need to be a little careful about cumulative rates over the whole of the outbreak since early on a lot of infections went undetected.

The Czech Republic did not have many infections in the first phase and really only got going as winter approached. Lacking immunity from the first phase, they were hit hard the following winter. However at this point testing had improved significantly and therefore we're going to see very high numbers for the Czechs compared with a country that had a bad outbreak early on.

Have they made this official? Any links?

It was a large part of the announcement and will happen soon enough.

"International travel will resume on July 19."

"I understand the pent-up desire for a trip abroad or to welcome loved ones home," Mr Martin said. For this reason, Ireland have agreed to adopt the EU's Digital Green Certificate from July 19, to allow non-essential travel within the bloc for those that are fully vaccinated or have already had Covid-19."
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Are people actually getting fined though? Judging by my social feed, lots of people are now jetting away to Sun locations and they for sure do not have an essential reason.

I flew out of DUB recently 3x for work and the Garda checkpoints didn't even ask for a reason, just where are you flying to.

Fines are still being issued but as the list for essential travel is actually pretty broad, most people can bluff it when if they don't have a reason

Were just not sure how we would handle it. I asked a genuine question. It looks like we'll have to weigh up our options and decide if it's worth the risk.
    Its a campsite by the way so mostly outdoor activities.

I'm not judging you. Planning the south of France myself but this is the risk at the moment I'm afraid unless the child is under 7?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

It was a large part of the announcement and will happen soon enough.

"International travel will resume on July 19."

"I understand the pent-up desire for a trip abroad or to welcome loved ones home," Mr Martin said. For this reason, Ireland have agreed to adopt the EU's Digital Green Certificate from July 19, to allow non-essential travel within the bloc for those that are fully vaccinated or have already had Covid-19."

Fines are still being issued but as the list for essential travel is actually pretty broad, most people can bluff it when if they don't have a reason

It’ll be interesting to see if the extend the fine past the 2nd or not, I think they probably will, but as it stands it will expire on June 2nd.

• Advertisement

Did Ryanair give you much advance notice? My flight is in exactly two weeks.

More than a month. Flying last couple of days In June.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement