Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I'm not judging you. Planning the south of France myself but this is the risk at the moment I'm afraid unless the child is under 7?!?

12 and 13...so unless they're vaccinated by August :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

1123heavy wrote: »
    Could it be that the reopening of the CTA has been left deliberately vague so that they can change their position on it at anytime without losing face?

It was essentially left out of the speech, signing up to the EU Digital Cert does not cover the UK.

Spot on - the website says it will be treated as all other non EU countries but there was a tweet yesterday saying GB would require PCR even if vaccinated.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    12 and 13...so unless they're vaccinated by August :)

Or have it and recover.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Or have it and recover.

Covid party!!!!!

I remember parents in one of the schools having a chickenpox party years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think however we need to be a little careful about cumulative rates over the whole of the outbreak since early on a lot of infections went undetected.

The Czech Republic did not have many infections in the first phase and really only got going as winter approached. Lacking immunity from the first phase, they were hit hard the following winter. However at this point testing had improved significantly and therefore we're going to see very high numbers for the Czechs compared with a country that had a bad outbreak early on.

I might not have made my point clearly which was that I suspected that the difference in infection rates across countries should not affect opening up hugely.
    I was only pointing to the difference between Ireland's "natural immunity due to infection" rate vs. the highest "natural immunity due to infection" rate in the EU. That just happened to be the Czech Republic.

If you took those figures as a rough guideline, then the additional "natural immunity" only adds 10%. Which should only be a couple of weeks vaccination if we needed to catch up on that 10%. I don't think it equates to a Summer of a headstart based on that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Were just not sure how we would handle it. I asked a genuine question. It looks like we'll have to weigh up our options and decide if it's worth the risk.
    Its a campsite by the way so mostly outdoor activities.

This is one of the reasons that we have decided not to go abroad until both of our Kids (both 12+) are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Flew out of Dublin today.

It's getting busy! The Gardai for T1 was just waving every car into the place. T2 Guard was looking like he was stopping everyone for a chat.

Check in was packed but seemingly the Gardai only know about normal security as fast track didn't have anything.

So I didn't even have to talk to a Guard in the end.

Poor Guards looked so pissed off. But they are only doing what they are told to do....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Thinking of going to the US in August/September. I have a US passport so does anyone know what requirements there would be? PCR test before I go and again to come home unless I’m vaccinated by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

afatbollix wrote: »

It's getting busy! The Gardai for T1 was just waving every car into the place. T2 Guard was looking like he was stopping everyone for a chat.

Check in was packed but seemingly the Gardai only know about normal security as fast track didn't have anything.

Poor Guards looked so pissed off. But they are only doing what they are told to do....

We’re there any gardai passed security?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cpw9802

What time did you fly out at? I'm flying in the morning around 7am wonder if they'll be there.

• Advertisement

We`ve been wracking our brains all day and decided that we`re going to travel and bring a load of antigen tests with us and test them every few days and if one of them tests positive it will give us time to make different arrangements ie fly to the UK (NI) or somewhere pcrs might not be needed in August. Theres talk that that might be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

rather than using up all your antigen tests, how about bringing an sp02 tester with you, and if it is low, then test to be sure to be sure. going much cheaper on amazon and other places now the major panic has subsided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

Wondering if anyone has a view on this. Planning on going to Majorca in August. Went to Ibiza last summer and it was amazing to get away from this kip for a week. I am wondering if its best to book a package with TUI or just go alone with Ryanair flights and book accom separately.

I know TUI have better protection in terms of cancelling due to failed tests etc (I wont be vaccinated), but im worried if I book with them, will the holiday go ahead at all. I have read one of their competitors saying that TUI are just taking bookings with no intention of going ahead with them this summer. Dont know what to believe.

Any views?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

scuse my ignorance its called a pulse oximeter. failing that a 20 euro honor band will do in a pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

beaz2018 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone has a view on this. Planning on going to Majorca in August. Went to Ibiza last summer and it was amazing to get away from this kip for a week. I am wondering if its best to book a package with TUI or just go alone with Ryanair flights and book accom separately.

I know TUI have better protection in terms of cancelling due to failed tests etc (I wont be vaccinated), but im worried if I book with them, will the holiday go ahead at all. I have read one of their competitors saying that TUI are just taking bookings with no intention of going ahead with them this summer. Dont know what to believe.

Any views?

If it was me I'd book flights direct with Ryanair and book accommodation through Booking.com or somewhere that has a free cancelation option up to a few days before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

We`ve been wracking our brains all day and decided that we`re going to travel and bring a load of antigen tests with us and test them every few days and if one of them tests positive it will give us time to make different arrangements ie fly to the UK (NI) or somewhere pcrs might not be needed in August. Theres talk that that might be the case.

So you’ll knowingly bring a positive person onto an aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Even I wouldn't leave the house if I knew I was positive. I was doing the Lateral flow tests all week and had 3 PCR tests in 10 days.

I'd hate to pass it on to anyone and know I might have caused illness or death.

You can get insurance for if you are positive when abroad. I'd take that than flying around with Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

Have I read this right?
    Are you seriously saying that you’ll board a plane with someone who’s tested positive?
    How is this even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

johnire wrote: »
    Have I read this right?
    Are you seriously saying that you’ll board a plane with someone who’s tested positive?
    How is this even possible?

you are reading it right and to think some people actually thanked his post

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Lads, which countries are most open I'm thinking of eastern Europe+Germany to head to. I will have to take a PCR test. Thanks for any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedPaddyX

Anyone know whether you will need to be fully vaccinated (two shots) for digital covid cert or will one shot give you a temporary cert? If the former sounds like many of us would be waiting quite awhile (autumn?) until we can get dig COVID cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Even I wouldn't leave the house if I knew I was positive. I was doing the Lateral flow tests all week and had 3 PCR tests in 10 days.

I'd hate to pass it on to anyone and know I might have caused illness or death.

You can get insurance for if you are positive when abroad. I'd take that than flying around with Covid.

This a 1000 times. Instead of spending on a bundle of self administered antigen test, look for a travel insurance policy that covers you in this specific case. Depending on where you're traveling to, the local tourist boards have negotiated rates for all vacationers (e.g. Portugal, Canaries... more will follow probably).

I'll be traveling with a 7yo and a 3yo this summer. Honestly we're not sweating this scenario as I think it'll be quite unlikely but if it turns out that one of us tests positive before departure, we'll just have to take unpaid leave from work and bunker down until we're in the clear. Part of the of the 'cost' of traveling during a pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Where did you head to?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

This is a bit ****ty- Would they really stop a parent with a child from boarding if the child tested positive while away?

What are the requirements to enter Belfast from Spain at the minute?

I might have to change my flights if NI doesn't require a PCR from Spain.

How self-centred would a person have to be to try to insist that an infected child board an aircraft with persons who might be vulnerable? There would be an element of psychopathy on that type of act, a concern solely with one’s own convenience with an utter disregard for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Mr.S wrote: »
    Are people actually getting fined though? Judging by my social feed, lots of people are now jetting away to Sun locations and they for sure do not have an essential reason.

I flew out of DUB recently 3x for work and the Garda checkpoints didn't even ask for a reason, just where are you flying to.

This.

If you want to go just go, don't let the threat of the fine stop you.

Just tell them what they want to hear, if they even ask, if they're even there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

RedPaddyX wrote: »
    Anyone know whether you will need to be fully vaccinated (two shots) for digital covid cert or will one shot give you a temporary cert? If the former sounds like many of us would be waiting quite awhile (autumn?) until we can get dig COVID cert?

Scientific logic would say you should be clear to travel 2 weeks after one shot as you get a huge immune response from that

Basically, all we need is our politicians to follow the logic.... So, no would be my guess

According to this link -

https://www.euronews.com/2021/05/20/deal-reached-to-introduce-an-eu-wide-covid-travel-pass

- it's one shot but I believe things have progressed since then so may have changed. Nothing official yet.

2 wks after jannsen 1 shot
    1 week after 2nd pfizer
    2 weeks after 2nd moderna

Astrazenica needs shot 2 from the public health England survey to get you up to 60% on the soon to be dominant indian variant

You are currently considered fully vaccinated with one shot of AZ after 1 month but NOT FOR TRAVEL according to the dept of H
    So 12 weeks + 2 from your 1st dose for a green cert with that ie 14 wks after dose 1

You can get the green cert with a pcr test within 72hrs also but you'll havve to do another on the way home to renew it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

I know you are talking about your kids, but Covid positive kid is no different to Covid positive adult. Also kids are not required to wear face masks on the plane (I always disagreed with that one), and you are talking here about going around the restrictions to potentially bringing Covid positive kid on the plane.

• Advertisement

You are currently considered fully vaccinated with on shot of AZ after 1 montg,but NOT FOR TRAVEL according to the dept of H

Ha ha so the vaccine knows what country you're in and becomes less effective once you cross a border!

I'm not surprised, this is the same brand of "following the science" we've been getting for a while

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement