Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Does it work the same on a 3 hour bus vs A 3 hour plane trip?

Do you mean will an antigen test stop you catching covid on a bus or plane? Simple answer is no.

Or do you mean can you get it on a three hour bus trip to Spain as you mentioned earlier?

Anyway think you might have missed the bit where known risks from issues with social distancing and crowded situations during travel does not just simply equate to a 'plane' or a 'bus'
    we know that travel where it is difficult to social distance and involves crowded areas carries a much higher risk of infection. See the scenes from Palma Airport the other day for example.

Klonker wrote: »
    Might want it edit your earlier post as you stated they stated its there until 19th July and that's factually incorrect. Don't know why you'd want to mislead the viewers of this thread

Get off the high horse. Where did I claim it was a fact and not opinion?

I quoted them and that's my take on their comments like the below

"Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan said: “By the 19th of July, we will remove the ban on non-essential travel."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Get off the high horse. Where did I claim it was a fact and not opinion?

I quoted them and that's my take on their comments like the below

"Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan said: “By the 19th of July, we will remove the ban on non-essential travel."
    That's been the case since the fine was brought in do I don't see why it would now become a reason to drop it.

They have stated 19th July. It will be extended until then.

Where did 'they' state the travel fine would be extended to July 19th like you said?

Where did 'they' state the travel fine would be extended to July 19th like you said?

First off that's not what I said. You can claim it bit I didn't. I said 'they' have very clearly stated that the 19th July will be when non essential travel will be allowed again. It was announced by the Minister's and mm himself on TV. He was quoted in multiple newspapers. Read one.

The second part is very clearly my opinion that based on their very easily found comments, the fine will be extended to that date.

First off that's not what I said. You can claim it bit I didn't. I said 'they' have very clearly stated that the 19th July will be when non essential travel will be allowed again. It was announced by the Minister's and mm himself on TV. He was quoted in multiple newspapers. Read one.

The second part is very clearly my opinion that based on their very easily found comments, the fine will be extended to that date.

It's exactly what you said, it's a quote of your post.
    It's not taken out if context either, you responding to my post stating how unenforceable the 2k fine is.

How is "they said" very clearly your opinion?

• Advertisement

It's exactly what you said, it's a quote of your post.
    It's not taken out if context either, you responding to my post stating how unenforceable the 2k fine is.

How is "they said" very clearly your opinion?

You know what a full stop is I assume? It plays an important role. So again, it's been stated multiple times that non essential travel will commence on that date.

Care to explain your statement that the fine is unenforceable by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

titan18 wrote: »
    When do people expect things like mask mandates and social distancing will end in other countries (we'll be the last). I'd feel it's not a very relaxing holiday if you're constantly working with covid related restrictions.

Do people expect masks to end on airplanes this year for example?

Malta has announced masks in public places are no longer mandatory from 1st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Do you trust them on this?

Like it's it safe to book to fly on the 21st July?

Personally? On this one yes but I also wouldn't bet the house on the entire green cert system being up and running either. Just no more checkpoints and fines

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Personally? On this one yes but I also wouldn't bet the house on the entire green cert system being up and running either. Just no more checkpoints and fines

Its a tricky one, wife is dying to go.

Normally I would wait till later but the youngest turns 2 in August which means full price and then she's back to work teaching in Sept. Might risk it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

I trust them on this too. It’s not going to change, I work in the airport and it won’t survive if travel doesn’t resume on 19 July. To put it into perspective now there are 300 passengers travelling through a day compared to the usual 25-30 thousand during these months!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Does anyone have any evidence that 2k FPNs are still being issued?

No Garda stats published on this since 14 May, and that report showed a large drop compared to April

It's quite possible there is no enforcement at all, like all the useless checkpoints with Gardai just standing around collecting overtime at the tail end of the domestic travel restrictions. "Visible policing presence", eh? :pac:

Lumen wrote: »

No Garda stats published on this since 14 May, and that report showed a large drop compared to April

It's quite possible there is no enforcement at all, like all the useless checkpoints with Gardai just standing around collecting overtime at the tail end of the domestic travel restrictions. "Visible policing presence", eh? :pac:

I can tell you that the checkpoints remain in place and people being stopped. How many fines, I can't confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

No idea but I know two people that caught a flight at different times on Wednesday last week and no guards there when they went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I can tell you that the checkpoints remain in place and people being stopped. How many fines, I can't confirm.
    Is it more than zero?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ngunners

Is it more than zero?

According to a comment in a Facebook group I am in someone was fined last Friday.

You know what a full stop is I assume? It plays an important role. So again, it's been stated multiple times that non essential travel will commence on that date.

Care to explain your statement that the fine is unenforceable by the way?

You said that they said the fine was in place until 19th July. I quoted the exact words you used saying this and you are somehow making out I'm twisting your words.

I already stated how the fine is unenforceable. And going by this article the guards seem to think so too, all a person has to do is put in a little effort to come up with an 'essential' reason.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-suspiciousat-growing-numbers-flying-out-ofcountry-40483434.html

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Looking to book non-essential travel to Germany the bank holiday August weekend.

I think I'll take a chance of booking them with a hope that the 17th of July date remains in place.

Will only have one vaccine shot by that date too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Looking to book non-essential travel to Germany the bank holiday August weekend.

I think I'll take a chance of booking them with a hope that the 17th of July date remains in place.

Will only have one vaccine shot by that date too.

You’ll be safe at that stage!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    So you’ll knowingly bring a positive person onto an aircraft?
    afatbollix wrote: »
    Even I wouldn't leave the house if I knew I was positive. I was doing the Lateral flow tests all week and had 3 PCR tests in 10 days.

I'd hate to pass it on to anyone and know I might have caused illness or death.

You can get insurance for if you are positive when abroad. I'd take that than flying around with Covid.
    johnire wrote: »
    Have I read this right?
    Are you seriously saying that you’ll board a plane with someone who’s tested positive?
    How is this even possible?
    UDAWINNER wrote: »
    you are reading it right and to think some people actually thanked his post
    Marcusm wrote: »
    How self-centred would a person have to be to try to insist that an infected child board an aircraft with persons who might be vulnerable? There would be an element of psychopathy on that type of act, a concern solely with one’s own convenience with an utter disregard for others.
    JojoLoca wrote: »
    I know you are talking about your kids, but Covid positive kid is no different to Covid positive adult. Also kids are not required to wear face masks on the plane (I always disagreed with that one), and you are talking here about going around the restrictions to potentially bringing Covid positive kid on the plane.
    the corpo wrote: »
    Knowingly bringing a positive person on a plane full of others and knowingly putting their health at risk is a lousy thing to do

Jesus -I really rocked the boat with that one.So any way to answer the question - This decision would only be as a very , very last resort in case we had no other options - we have since decided to book an air bnb if the situation did arise and one of us would stay with the child if it happened. Hopefully we could get one at short notice but we do have 3 days to make plans ie 72 hours from date of test.

So apologies if I upset a few people and I have taken on board what you have said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Jesus -I really rocked the boat with that one.So any way to answer the question - This decision would only be as a very , very last resort in case we had no other options - we have since decided to book an air bnb if the situation did arise and one of us would stay with the child if it happened. Hopefully we could get one at short notice but we do have 3 days to make plans ie 72 hours from date of test.

So apologies if I upset a few people and I have taken on board what you have said.

Fingers crossed you don’t need to use the Airbnb! Enjoy the holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I trust them on this too. It’s not going to change, I work in the airport and it won’t survive if travel doesn’t resume on 19 July. To put it into perspective now there are 300 passengers travelling through a day compared to the usual 25-30 thousand during these months!

You should let DublinLive and a few other sensationalist media outlets know this, as you'd think there were thousands heading off on their holiers if you were to go by some of the debates under their 'headlines' on FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Tazz T wrote: »
    You should let DublinLive and a few other sensationalist media outlets know this, as you'd think there were thousands heading off on their holiers if you were to go by some of the debates under their 'headlines' on FB.

I have that "Dublin Live" site blocked, awful sensationalist headlines just to get people to click into their miserable site to read a few lines that have little to do with the headline..

The truth is that the Airports and travel in Ireland have been decimated down to 4% by the Government mishandling of aviation, and the 3 main airports combined have less traffic than a regional airport in Turkey right now....

Another 7 weeks and we'll be "allowed" to travel, but of course this can be pushed out until September if they want... Sure we'll leave all those Pilots and aircraft on the ground for another 2 months, will be grand! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

What are the plans for kids and the green travel cert pass ?

Lets see kids are travelling with fully vaccinated parents ?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

TomSweeney wrote: »
    What are the plans for kids and the green travel cert pass ?

Lets see kids are travelling with fully vaccinated parents ?

Irish govt ****ing with families and insisting PCR tests for kids over 7 travelling back into ireland.

Other countries accepting antigen tests or only testing 11 or 12 plus.

But obviously tony was never going to sign off on that. People might have fun.

And this way the empty nester elderly people we've all been protecting can head off on hols without a 2nd thought whilst many families either wont be able to afford or wont want to risk taking their kids away and needing a PCR test to bring them back in.

Same kids/families that are also being asked to pay for the economic destruction reaped to protect the elderly.

So a great result all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Irish govt ****ing with families and insisting PCR tests for kids over 7 travelling back into ireland.

Other countries accepting antigen tests or only testing 11 or 12 plus.

But obviously tony was never going to sign off on that. People might have fun.

And this way the empty nester elderly people we've all been protecting can head off on hols without a 2nd thought whilst many families either wont be able to afford or wont want to risk taking their kids away and needing a PCR test to bring them back in.

Same kids/families that are also being asked to pay for the economic destruction reaped to protect the elderly.

So a great result all around.

It's sickening allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I want to book Malaga for the family in August, it'll be ok to travel by then yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Navy blue

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the story with visiting Northern Ireland at the moment? The message seems a bit vague at the moment. We have a break booked in Belfast in three weeks and I am wondering if we will be asked for proof of vaccination/pcr test before we check in? I have used my home address for making the booking (which is just over the border) so might they just look at the address and not request anything? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Navy blue wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the story with visiting Northern Ireland at the moment? The message seems a bit vague at the moment. We have a break booked in Belfast in three weeks and I am wondering if we will be asked for proof of vaccination/pcr test before we check in? I have used my home address for making the booking (which is just over the border) so might they just look at the address and not request anything? Thanks in advance

Free travel across the 32 counties. No requirement for any proof of vaccination or negative tests. Cork or Belfast makes no difference. Enjoy your trip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Navy blue

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Free travel across the 32 counties. No requirement for any proof of vaccination or negative tests. Cork or Belfast makes no difference. Enjoy your trip!
    Are you sure Bikeman?

This is from the NI Direct Gov page, but I am not sure if that advice has changed in the last few days:

Travelling to NI from within the Common Travel Area

If you're travelling from within the Common Travel Area and staying overnight in Northern Ireland, you should take a rapid lateral flow device test (LFD) before you begin your journey.
    You should only travel if the test is negative.
    You should also take an LFD test on days two and eight of your stay.
    You should not travel to Northern Ireland if you have COVID-19 symptoms, or have received a positive COVID-19 result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement