Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Navy blue wrote: »
    Are you sure Bikeman?

This is from the NI Direct Gov page, but I am not sure if that advice has changed in the last few days:

Travelling to NI from within the Common Travel Area

If you're travelling from within the Common Travel Area and staying overnight in Northern Ireland, you should take a rapid lateral flow device test (LFD) before you begin your journey.
    You should only travel if the test is negative.
    You should also take an LFD test on days two and eight of your stay.
    You should not travel to Northern Ireland if you have COVID-19 symptoms, or have received a positive COVID-19 result.

Note the word - "should" that is an advisory, not law.

I know of 3 groups of people who separately travelled to NI and stayed over (had a great) time in the last two weeks. No questions asked. Don't forget the UK has issued huge amounts of Antigen testing kits for anyone who wants one, so they are freely available as a tool to curb the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

rob316 wrote: »
    I want to book Malaga for the family in August, it'll be ok to travel by then yes?

Yes but any of you not vaccinated will need a PCR test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Note the word - "should" that is an advisory, not law..

I haven't heard of any checkpoints at the border to look at passports and PCR tests or heard of any hotels looking for them.

I imagine that for anyone living on the border who has to go across for work or visiting relatives then presenting negative tests a number of times a week may get quite tiresome!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Are you sure Bikeman?

This is from the NI Direct Gov page, but I am not sure if that advice has changed in the last few days:

Travelling to NI from within the Common Travel Area

If you're travelling from within the Common Travel Area and staying overnight in Northern Ireland, you should take a rapid lateral flow device test (LFD) before you begin your journey.
    You should only travel if the test is negative.
    You should also take an LFD test on days two and eight of your stay.
    You should not travel to Northern Ireland if you have COVID-19 symptoms, or have received a positive COVID-19 result.

Its unenforceable and meaningless. Take antigen test every time you cross into the 6 counties? Theres no way to check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Its unenforceable and meaningless. Take antigen test every time you cross into the 6 counties? Theres no way to check that.

True and sure if that was the case then they'd want people to take tests... PCR ones as Antigens are just "Snake oil" before you'd go from Dublin to Dingle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the story with visiting Northern Ireland at the moment? The message seems a bit vague at the moment. We have a break booked in Belfast in three weeks and I am wondering if we will be asked for proof of vaccination/pcr test before we check in? I have used my home address for making the booking (which is just over the border) so might they just look at the address and not request anything? Thanks in advance

Contact the accomodation the week beforehand and ask about the check-in procedure. They could always have their own requirements that might not be in the official guidelines. Last summer, I stayed in a place where they made temperature checks at check-in and required guests to wear masks in common areas - nothing too onerous. I'm sure the accomodation would be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

I want to book Malaga for the family in August, it'll be ok to travel by then yes?

Shouldn't be an issue. If not fully vacinated you will need a PCR both ways. It's possible that Spain will begin accepting antigen later in the summer like some other countries which may bring your costs down a little.

Word of caution though, if you are going ahead with it you should book soon. I am looking at Malaga myself and flight costs for August are probably plus 20-30% since last Thursday night alone (when the date of July 19th for travel started appearing all over twitter).

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Contact the accomodation the week beforehand and ask about the check-in procedure. They could always have their own requirements that might not be in the official guidelines. Last summer, I stayed in a place where they made temperature checks at check-in and required guests to wear masks in common areas - nothing too onerous. I'm sure the accomodation would be happy to help.

Why would you tell a hotel where you live. I mean its not that hard to google an address. I stayed in the North the weekend it opened.

No one can prove you're from the South and I would say unlikely they care. I guess you will think your accents stands out but think how much notice anyone takes of a Norther accent in a shop or pub in the South...very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Why would you tell a hotel where you live. I mean its not that hard to google an address. I stayed in the North the weekend it opened.

No one can prove you're from the South and I would say unlikely they care. I guess you will think your accents stands out but think how much notice anyone takes of a Norther accent in a shop or pub in the South...very little.

I didn't say anything about telling them your address????

I recommended that the op should ask the hotel/BnB/Airbnb what their check-in requirements were so the op wouldn't be surprised. Individual accomodation providers can apply their own rules to their own properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Feria40 wrote: »
    Shouldn't be an issue. If not fully vacinated you will need a PCR both ways. It's possible that Spain will begin accepting antigen later in the summer like some other countries which may bring your costs down a little.

Word of caution though, if you are going ahead with it you should book soon. I am looking at Malaga myself and flight costs for August are probably plus 20-30% since last Thursday night alone (when the date of July 19th for travel started appearing all over twitter).

This 100%. I booked ferry to Spain from Cork with the motorbike yesterday for August/September and just checked an hour ago and those dates are now gone as the cabins are sold out. Prices will skyrocket the next couple of weeks across the board as people in their early 40's get vaccination confirmation.

I personally wasn't going to get PCR tests as im more worried about catching Covid and being sick whilst away so would only travel with vaccination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Why not save your money and add to your budget and go somewhere nice at a later date?

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Why not save your money and add to your budget and go somewhere nice at a later date?

Malaga is a beautiful city IMO, but obviously that's just IMO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Looking to book non-essential travel to Germany the bank holiday August weekend.

I think I'll take a chance of booking them with a hope that the 17th of July date remains in place.

Will only have one vaccine shot by that date too.

Is it not the 19th, anytime after that and you will be grand probably need a pcr test with only 1 jab though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Whats wrong with Malaga? Kids want to go and play in a pool, I want to sit at said pool drinking cheap bear in the sun, for 10 days. Beautiful region, lovely people. Can't really ask for anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Malaga is a beautiful city IMO, but obviously that's just IMO :)

Malaga is frickin gorgeous! Just get up the hill up to Alcazaba to experience something lovely, peaceful, beautiful, with breathtaking views all around. And the food is the clincher for me... I’d go tomorrow if I could.

Waiting to see what Wednesday will bring... although probably nothing! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Jesus there's a dig.flying to malaga in August myself,staying in the city for the first 2 nights which is a great place to visit and then onto Almeria for 5 nights.

I thought prices would rocket past the normal but its only coming in €100 more than 2 years ago and I have a new baby this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Yeah Málaga is a mighty shpot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

fresh off the paper, the latest proposal for the EU (including Ireland?)

- kids under 6 exempt from tests
    - 1 vaccine dose is good for travel if countries allow that already in other circumstances
    - green list (remember that) lives on, and no vaccination cert or tests needed for there
    - threshold for green list increased (loosened)
    - antigen tests are to be allowed (but can Ireland pull an exemption to make it dearer/ less attractive to travel with a PCR)
    - handbrake for countries that are worried about variants

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/only-children-under-6-exempt-from-covid-testing-for-travel-abroad-under-new-eu-rules-40486851.html

with infection numbers plummeting across europe, if i read this right then most of Europe is already, if not will be very soon, a green zone and the "vaccine passport" green travel cert will be irrelevant until any potential autumn wave mostly affecting anti-vaxxers getting their immunity the hard/ traditional way

I thought prices would rocket past the normal but its only coming in €100 more than 2 years ago and I have a new baby this time.

I was more thinking of 'Covid' bargains. For sure compared to previous year's, this year should not be anymore expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

There are a few flea pit resorts in that area, but overall it’s a beautiful place. Don’t let one bad experience colour your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

- 1 vaccine dose is good for travel if countries allow that already in other circumstances
    - green list (remember that) lives on, and no vaccination cert or tests needed for there
    - antigen tests are to be allowed (but can Ireland pull an exemption to make it dearer/ less attractive to travel with a PCR)

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/only-children-under-6-exempt-from-covid-testing-for-travel-abroad-under-new-eu-rules-40486851.html

with infection numbers plummeting across europe, if i read this right then most of Europe is already, if not will be very soon, a green zone and the "vaccine passport" green travel cert will be irrelevant until any potential autumn wave mostly affecting anti-vaxxers getting their immunity the hard/ traditional way

So will a green country be 75 per 100k and under?? Meaning no test from these areas?

I was more thinking of 'Covid' bargains. For sure compared to previous year's, this year should not be anymore expensive.

I know, I kind of wrote off this summer so was afraid to book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So will Ireland allow travel from the 1st or will they stick to The 19th. I assume they'll stick to the 19th but it could see them lose a lot of tourism if everywhere else in the EU opens from the 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

This is great news, fingers crossed we’ll drop into the green zone by late June. Then no need for tests! Even getting the under 6s exempted is a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

fm wrote: »
    So will a green country be 75 per 100k and under?? Meaning no test from these areas?
    thats my optimistic reading of it. If Orange is over 75 then green must be under , and the article says that theres no restrictions to travel to a green area so to me that means no test or cert needed.

No restrictions could mean no quarantine - but last year green zones (leaving crazy bonkers Ireland to one side) had free travel with no test or quarantine so you'd think they would have it on the same lines this year .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So will Ireland allow travel from the 1st or will they stick to The 19th. I assume they'll stick to the 19th but it could see them lose a lot of tourism if everywhere else in the EU opens from the 1st
    They'll stick to the 19th, caution and all that! None of restaurants and pubs will be open indoors on July 1 and we are also not under as much pressure to open tourism as some countries. Ours will be largely home driven this summer.

Klonker wrote: »
    You said that they said the fine was in place until 19th July. I quoted the exact words you used saying this and you are somehow making out I'm twisting your words.

I already stated how the fine is unenforceable. And going by this article the guards seem to think so too, all a person has to do is put in a little effort to come up with an 'essential' reason.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-suspiciousat-growing-numbers-flying-out-ofcountry-40483434.html

Oh so it's not an actual fact that it's unenforceable? It was just your opinion based on the comments of others in a newspaper article? But it was your exact words and now it's just an opinion.

I'm sooooooo confused by your statement of fact that became an opinion.
    is_that_so wrote: »
    They'll stick to the 19th, caution and all that! None of restaurants and pubs will be open indoors on July 1 and we are also not under as much pressure to open tourism as some countries. Ours will be largely home driven this summer.

Klonker says you can't make that comment recording your own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

thats my optimistic reading of it. If Orange is over 75 then green must be under , and the article says that theres no restrictions to travel to a green area so to me that means no test or cert needed.

No restrictions could mean no quarantine - but last year green zones (leaving crazy bonkers Ireland to one side) had free travel with no test or quarantine so you'd think they would have it on the same lines this year .

I understand that as no tests from a green area with the cert. This is all part of the digital cert scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 northcider85

Is there anything stopping a hypothetical family of four (residing in Rep of Ireland) travelling from Belfast to Malaga before July 19th?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement