Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

fresh off the paper, the latest proposal for the EU (including Ireland?)

- kids under 6 exempt from tests
    - 1 vaccine dose is good for travel if countries allow that already in other circumstances
    - green list (remember that) lives on, and no vaccination cert or tests needed for there
    - threshold for green list increased (loosened)
    - antigen tests are to be allowed (but can Ireland pull an exemption to make it dearer/ less attractive to travel with a PCR)
    - handbrake for countries that are worried about variants

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/only-children-under-6-exempt-from-covid-testing-for-travel-abroad-under-new-eu-rules-40486851.html

with infection numbers plummeting across europe, if i read this right then most of Europe is already, if not will be very soon, a green zone and the "vaccine passport" green travel cert will be irrelevant until any potential autumn wave mostly affecting anti-vaxxers getting their immunity the hard/ traditional way

A couple of posters here must be losing it with the stress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Is there anything stopping a hypothetical family of four (residing in Rep of Ireland) travelling from Belfast to Malaga before July 19th?

Literally nothing. Go live your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

A couple of posters here must be losing it with the stress :)

not me.

Was on holidays in Italy all last week - but I dont live in the country with the strictest harshest and longest lockdown in the EU, and strictest and harshest travel restrictions in the EU - so could go to Italy and back with an antigen test and at the Austria and Italian Borders (or Austrian and German on the way back) we werent stopped to ask for tests or anything despite checkpoints at the border. Its like being back in the refugee crisis again, border checks that do little more than create traffic jams !

Anyhow, as for the proposals, I've that figured out - because how can you expect journalists to do anything more than copy press announcements word for word.

The commission is taking the existing framework and tweaking it.
    The green list still remains at a threshold of 25 cases per 100k per fortnight AND positivity rate <4 - so it'll be a long time yet before any country is on that - and that includes world beater Ireland.

I am still presuming that green means no restrictions, literally nothing.
    The text as I read it does say that.
    “Member States should in principle not refuse the entry of persons travelling from other Member States.
    Member States that consider necessary to introduce restrictions to free movement on grounds of public health, based on their own decision-making processes, could require persons travelling from an area classified as ‘orange’ pursuant to point 10 to be in the possession of a test certificate issued in line with [EU Digital COVID Certificate Regulation].........

For those who want more than irish independent "journalism", heres the original text of the October 2020 framework
    https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A02020H1475-20210202

and heres the tweaks
    https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/default/files/1_en_act_part1_v3-1.pdf

Tazz T wrote: »
    I understand that as no tests from a green area with the cert. This is all part of the digital cert scheme.

I want this to be true more than anything but is there any other outlets reporting an EU greenlist = no testing at all? The tone of the indo article is quite negative about travel, I didnt take the interpretation that any country under 75 per 100k means no test on entry.

Plus can you see tony allowing it when he wont even sign off antigen tests for under 11s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 northcider85

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Literally nothing. Go live your life!

You don't perceive any questions at the airport by police or airport staff? These hypothetical family members would have Rep of Ireland passports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So on the 15th May the Netherlands changed the Irish travel advice. No quarantine was needed and no tests when returning from Ireland. Based on this and the EU travel passport coming in on the 1st July I booked a flight to Ireland on the 9th July.

I assume now that I can't travel on that date?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The green list still remains at a threshold of 25 cases per 100k per fortnight AND positivity rate <4 - so it'll be a long time yet before any country is on that - and that includes world beater Ireland.

I am still presuming that green means no restrictions, literally nothing.
    The text as I read it does say that.

For those who want more than irish independent "journalism", heres the original text of the October 2020 framework
    https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A02020H1475-20210202

and heres the tweaks
    https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/default/files/1_en_act_part1_v3-1.pdf

Thanks. Now the interpretation of the following text is critical:

"Member States should not restrict the free movement of persons travelling to or from another Member State’s areas classified as ‘green’ pursuant to point 10."

So, let's imagine that Ireland is green and your holiday destination is orange.

Does that mean Ireland cannot require a PCR test on return? That would be odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

You don't perceive any questions at the airport by police or airport staff? These hypothetical family members would have Rep of Ireland passports

Just tell them you're living your life or some other tragic adage you see posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Just tell them you're living your life or some other tragic adage you see posted here.

Disappointed travel restrictions are coming to an end?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pouladuff_goal

Many people from Northern Ireland travel on Irish passports. No issues and you are not breaking any laws. Non essential travel is allowed to the north. Then you are bound by local laws which allow people to go on holiday.

• Advertisement

Not at all. Half the y counties travel on ROI passports and it's not the job of the NI police service to enforce that idiot Donnellys rules.

Once you are in the 6 counties you are only subject to the travel restrictions there.

I'll be leaving from there myself in a few weeks.

Sam Hain wrote: »

Oh ZING! you got me. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

So will travel from the uk right now be stricter than ever ? My family’s flight is getting closer (weekend after next ) and I don’t know what’s going to happen with it for them ..
    They are only coming for a weekend so not even here long enough to do the 5 day self isolation ... I wonder are they checking how many days your here to self isolate for or are immigration just saying self isolate when you arrive
    The annoying thing is that we wouldn’t even be doing anything anyway because nothing is open so we would all be at home and in the garden catching up

If you seen it yesterday,you would understand why it is close to the mark time wise.
    We were one flight of around 140-150 people. I was in row 8 on the plane and we were deboarded by seat row. It took nearly 30mins to get through passport control. God help the ones from the back of the plane.
    The main problem seemed to be very slow input of data to the computer imo,these boys were AGS. I've been through twice in the last month through normal immigration and they fly through the questions and data input.

Gardai have absolutely nothing to do with it. The issue is the daa let a lot of staff go and now are trying to implement new systems with insufficient staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Tazz T wrote: »
    I understand that as no tests from a green area with the cert. This is all part of the digital cert scheme.

Big if true! Based on last week's case data, which I posted a couple of days back, I would estimate the following countries will be under the 75 mark in the next week or two and therefore green following the update:

Italy, Germany, Austria, Portugal, Czechia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Poland, Finland, Slovakia, Romania, Malta

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Oh ZING! you got me. Nice one.

Yep, no coming back from that tongue lashing!

That'll learn ye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭sporina

My friends father has passed away - and her sister lives in Scotland - can she fly over for the funeral? or would she have to quarantine for 12 days? She has had 1 vaccine ..

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

sporina wrote: »
    My friends father has passed away - and her sister lives in Scotland - can she fly over for the funeral? or would she have to quarantine for 12 days? She has had 1 vaccine ..

Number of Vaccines are irrelevant, she will need to isolate for 14 days or 5 if she has a second pcr test.

More pertinent is that she will have to get a pcr test done and have the results back before flying or she won't be allowed to fly.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/travel_to_ireland_during_covid.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Few very helpful people in here working at the airport, are you expecting chaos the first few days back

Wallander wrote: »
    Big if true! Based on last week's case data, which I posted a couple of days back, I would estimate the following countries will be under the 75 mark in the next week or two and therefore green following the update:

Italy, Germany, Austria, Portugal, Czechia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Poland, Finland, Slovakia, Romania, Malta

I cant see it being reported anywhere though a lot of reporting on the cost of PCR tests for families. Surely it would be getting wider mention, so wondering if it's just get more piss poor journalism from the indo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

So on the 15th May the Netherlands changed the Irish travel advice. No quarantine was needed and no tests when returning from Ireland. Based on this and the EU travel passport coming in on the 1st July I booked a flight to Ireland on the 9th July.

I assume now that I can't travel on that date?

There is no barrier to flying into Ireland, you need a negative PCR within the 72 hours before your flight arrives and to self isolate for 14 days after arrival. You can exit the self isolation after 5 days with if you have another negative PCR. A family member who arrived into ireland recently got this done by the HSE as their GP said the centres are taking walk ins without referrals. A few boardsies have mentioned the same, getting a free HSE test, further back in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

There is no barrier to flying into Ireland, you need a negative PCR within the 72 hours before your flight arrives and to self isolate for 14 days after arrival. You can exit the self isolation after 5 days with if you have another negative PCR. A family member who arrived into ireland recently got this done by the HSE as their GP said the centres are taking walk ins without referrals. A few boardsies have mentioned the same, getting a free HSE test, further back in the thread.

Thats great. Ill be flying out again on the 5th day and i know i can leave self isolation to leave the country.

thanks for teh info.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

Was the €2,000 fine extended does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

sorry to break the bad news but I misintrepreted the irish independent article in my original post.

The green threshold remains very strict at 25 cases per 100k population per fortnight with a low positivity rate - but this wasnt mentioned in the irish independent as the press release didnt mention it, so most countries are way off this target still .

separate from that, the minister for families was just on newstalk and when put to him that the need for tests will be costly for families with unvaccinated kids, he seems uncompromising on the need for kids to get a PCR rather than antigen test. He did confirm that the free HSE tests will be compatible with the green travel cert so at least one of the tests might yet be free.

BTW- before anyone goes on a solo run against people costing the taxpayer for tests for holidays, if the idea of free tests is to pick up infections in the state which otherwise wouldnt be detected, then having more people (in this case kids) getting tested before leaving the country should actually help the fight against Covid as you will detect more infections and from there track and trace any close contacts and this will reduce the overall spread in Ireland.

As Donald Trump wisely said, the more you test the more covid you find !

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Green is under 25, not under 75.
    green if the 14-day notification rate is lower than 25 cases per 100 000 and the test positivity rate below 4%;

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I'm planning to fly to Germany on the August bank holiday weekend for 2 nights to visit a friend. If I have a negative PCR test before I fly out will that be sufficient for re-entering the country? If i'm only there 2 nights I wouldn't have time to do a PCR test in Germany to fit the criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    I'm planning to fly to Germany on the August bank holiday weekend for 2 nights to visit a friend. If I have a negative PCR test before I fly out will that be sufficient for re-entering the country? If i'm only there 2 nights I wouldn't have time to do a PCR test in Germany to fit the criteria.

It might if you time it perfectly. 2 tests in Ireland would also work. Why wouldn’t you have time on the day you arrive in Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ok...bare with me here....

I'm potentially looking at booking Portugal end of sept. By then I should have had the jabs and will have the green cert thingy.

So... i can then travel to Portugal and come back without needing a PCR or quarantine ?

Is it still the same if Portugal is orange on the ECDC list in sept ?

I assume if it goes red im ****ed anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Can anyone explain "Family reunion" as a reason for travel?

My wife and child are planning to travel so my daughter can meet her grandmother for the first time. Does this count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

Can anyone explain "Family reunion" as a reason for travel?

My wife and child are planning to travel so my daughter can meet her grandmother for the first time. Does this count?

Given that your wife will need to care for your grandmother during this time, then yes it is essential.
    A printed email from someone on your grandmother's side stating that she requires care, will help if there are any questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement