Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

Can anyone explain "Family reunion" as a reason for travel?

My wife and child are planning to travel so my daughter can meet her grandmother for the first time. Does this count?

I'm nearly certain it doesn't. ASAIK the only family reasons are where you need to help a vulnerable family member. While the list of excuses is long, a lot of what really should be essential, ie family unification, attending to second properties, plus other very valid reasons, are not.

Hold tight until tomorrow to see if the fine will expire or gets extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Can anyone explain "Family reunion" as a reason for travel?

My wife and child are planning to travel so my daughter can meet her grandmother for the first time. Does this count?

This is why i was flying home, but i dont think its a valid reason. im waiting to see if the fine is still there. if it is then i wont travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    It might if you time it perfectly. 2 tests in Ireland would also work. Why wouldn’t you have time on the day you arrive in Germany?
    Why spend another 80+ EUR if the first test would still be valid?

It should no problem to use the first test to go both in- and out of Ireland, as long as the return takes place within 72 hours after the swab was taken. The location of the lab or testing space does not have to be in the country of departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Avon8

If another EU country accepted negative Antigen tests, do we think a negative Antigen test on the way out and a negative PCR coming back into Ireland would suffice? Or would the outbound test have to be checked and passed in Dublin Airport?

Is it right that a six year old can travel anywhere in the EU on the green cert without a pcr? The wording is different in different places?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Thanks for the replies folks
    This is why i was flying home, but i dont think its a valid reason. im waiting to see if the fine is still there. if it is then i wont travel.

The fine does concern us. However my wife and child have Latvian passports so we're hoping that she can say she's going home and hopefully that'll be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Is it right that a six year old can travel anywhere in the EU on the green cert without a pcr? The wording is different in different places?
    That's the plan with the EU anyway.

So long as they are with vaccinated parents.

How much are PCR tests now anyway ? I will need to get one for one kid - its not ideal but better than 4 of us needing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 northcider85

I'm nearly certain it doesn't. ASAIK the only family reasons are where you need to help a vulnerable family member. While the list of excuses is long, a lot of what really should be essential, ie family unification, attending to second properties, plus other very valid reasons, are not.

Hold tight until tomorrow to see if the fine will expire or gets extended.

Is there supposed to be some sort of announcement on the fine due tomorrow? Excuse my ignorance, I haven't seen anything about this. I assumed the fines would be extended to the length of the emergency powers act (currently expiring in Nov)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

From the article in this morning Indo it seems that the PCR requirement is to remain in Ireland, so if you have 3 kids and returning here from holidays then you need 3 x Negative PCR's..

Though I wonder what happens if the 3 kids are all positive and the 2 vaccinated parents with them are all marched off by the Irish army to a hotel for 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

Is there supposed to be some sort of announcement on the fine due tomorrow? Excuse my ignorance, I haven't seen anything about this. I assumed the fines would be extended to the length of the emergency powers act (currently expiring in Nov)

Does anyone know where we can check if the fine is extended or not?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies folks

The fine does concern us. However my wife and child have Latvian passports so we're hoping that she can say she's going home and hopefully that'll be okay.

Not in any way having a go at you because I sympathise with everybody curtailed by that stupid fine and my ire is firmly aimed at Govt. However, another problem with it as typified by this is its discriminatory nature. Irish passport holders can't claim to be going home.

But I do hope you get going without hassle. Another poster said they won't travel if the fine is extended so that will be another family whose lengthy separation continues. But does that idiot Donnelly care! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

sorry to break the bad news but I misintrepreted the irish independent article in my original post.

The green threshold remains very strict at 25 cases per 100k population per fortnight with a low positivity rate - but this wasnt mentioned in the irish independent as the press release didnt mention it, so most countries are way off this target still .

separate from that, the minister for families was just on newstalk and when put to him that the need for tests will be costly for families with unvaccinated kids, he seems uncompromising on the need for kids to get a PCR rather than antigen test. He did confirm that the free HSE tests will be compatible with the green travel cert so at least one of the tests might yet be free.

BTW- before anyone goes on a solo run against people costing the taxpayer for tests for holidays, if the idea of free tests is to pick up infections in the state which otherwise wouldnt be detected, then having more people (in this case kids) getting tested before leaving the country should actually help the fight against Covid as you will detect more infections and from there track and trace any close contacts and this will reduce the overall spread in Ireland.

As Donald Trump wisely said, the more you test the more covid you find !

He's come back on twitter and clarified that HSE tests cannot be used for the Digital Green cert

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    It might if you time it perfectly. 2 tests in Ireland would also work. Why wouldn’t you have time on the day you arrive in Germany?

I taught it was 72 hours before leaving the country to return home. The flights are 150euro so I might just take a punt and hope for the best.

Thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

From what I've read, when myself and the family head off to Spain, adults will be vaccinated but kids 6 & 12 not. So both will require Antigen tests to get to Spain and to return to Ireland the 12yo will need a PCR........

I'm hoping things will become clearer over the next couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Avon8 wrote: »
    If another EU country accepted negative Antigen tests, do we think a negative Antigen test on the way out and a negative PCR coming back into Ireland would suffice? Or would the outbound test have to be checked and passed in Dublin Airport?

If the country you are flying to accepts an antigen test that’s all you need to fly out from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Does anyone know, or even has a guess, how the EU Travel Green Cert will work for an Irish citizen who has been vaccinated in the UK with an EU approved vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Avon8 wrote: »

The outbound test will normally be checked at the gate along with any other travel docs. And, yes, the antigen test should suffice if the destination only requires an antigen test. This could change if the powers that be want to be difficult, but I think our gov will be under pressure to allow incoming antigen tests under the rules of the digital covid cert, so requiring PCRs on the way out will probably be a step too far, even for our lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Skippette wrote: »
    He's come back on twitter and clarified that HSE tests cannot be used for the Digital Green cert

Of course not ! there's no $$$$$ to be made then.

scam

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

freida wrote: »

Or in the case of Ireland - join in the coming months.

eu_digital_covid_certificate_map_20210601.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

namloc1980 wrote: »

Great to see us leading the way yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Any hope for South America, flying in to São Paulo for end of the year/Jan 2022? 2 adults, vaccinated fully. They are still in the proverbial ****ter I know, but surely by then travel should be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

namloc1980 wrote: »

Where did you get that map namloc?

Hungary - long term xenophobic, no surprise
    Ireland - recently xenophobic, hopefully just a blip
    Slovenia, Slovakia and Finland - What's going on and do you really want to be associated with Hungary and Ireland?

Not in any way having a go at you because I sympathise with everybody curtailed by that stupid fine and my ire is firmly aimed at Govt. However, another problem with it as typified by this is its discriminatory nature. Irish passport holders can't claim to be going home.

But I do hope you get going without hassle. Another poster said they won't travel if the fine is extended so that will be another family whose lengthy separation continues. But does that idiot Donnelly care! :mad:

Irish passport holders live all over the world, of course they can go home!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

ahbell wrote: »
    Does anyone know, or even has a guess, how the EU Travel Green Cert will work for an Irish citizen who has been vaccinated in the UK with an EU approved vaccine?

I've seen clips of the NHS app that will have all you need on it, I'm sure that would be sufficient if traveling from Ireland. But again wtf knows at this stage its boggling!

bubblypop wrote: »

Right. Let's try that one so and see how we get on! :rolleyes:

I think you know full well what I meant in that post. Any other passport holder will have a far easier time leaving this state simply saying they're off home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

bubblypop wrote: »

"Yea howya Gard, just returning to me Gaf in Santorini, see yis later yea"

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

pc7 wrote: »
    I've seen clips of the NHS app that will have all you need on it, I'm sure that would be sufficient if traveling from Ireland. But again wtf knows at this stage its boggling!

Yeah I have my covid vaccination QR code on the NHS App alright, but can just imagine it causing issues when I turn up somewhere with an Irish passport on a flight from Dublin and a UK/non-EU vaccine cert. The mind boggles alright!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

ahbell wrote: »
    Yeah I have my covid vaccination QR code on the NHS App alright,

Yeah nothing simple at minute, from what I've seen of the app its pretty impressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

josip wrote: »
    Where did you get that map namloc?

Hungary - long term xenophobic, no surprise
    Ireland - recently xenophobic, hopefully just a blip
    Slovenia, Slovakia and Finland - What's going on and do you really want to be associated with Hungary and Ireland?

I think it is just a blip. We’ll always have racists and xenophobes in this country, but I honestly don’t believe that the majority of Irish people haven’t looked at the hardships the Irish state has put on families with relatives in another state, they are just going along with the scariant headlines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement