Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭I see sheep

faceman wrote: »
    No, they won't be refused entry but given the prevalence of the Indian strain in the UK, ignoring the requirement to isolate is not welcome. Its also illegal.

The 'Indian Strain' story is a load of scaremongering bolocks imo.
    England had 0 covid deaths recorded yesterday.
    Not a typo, I mean ZERO. Out of 56 million people.
    And this variant has been around for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

JojoLoca wrote: »

Fair play to them for bringing the case to court, hopefully the law is found defective and scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

Fair play to them for bringing the case to court, hopefully the law is found defective and scrapped.

Hopefully that god damned law will be history this time tomorrow. Utter lunacy if extended!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Agree with you there . Everyone’s theory is different but for us in our situation I feel like my family should be able to come to us . The house they are staying in (ours ) we’re all vaccinated . We won’t actually be leaving the house for the weekend and for travelling they will both have their negative pcr tests ... I don’t know what will happen tbh , i feel like immigration will probably notice the return dates don’t add up to them being here long enough To self isolate and tell them to go back home !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Agree with you there . Everyone’s theory is different but for us in our situation I feel like my family should be able to come to us . The house they are staying in (ours ) we’re all vaccinated . We won’t actually be leaving the house for the weekend and for travelling they will both have their negative pcr tests ... I don’t know what will happen tbh , i feel like immigration will probably notice the return dates don’t add up to them being here long enough To self isolate and tell them to go back home !

How will they see the return dates exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I don’t know what will happen tbh , i feel like immigration will probably notice the return dates don’t add up to them being here long enough To self isolate and tell them to go back home !

Nothing will happen. My daughter arrived last Friday and left Sunday. No issue. Immigration dont look at return tickets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭brickster69

faceman wrote: »
    No, they won't be refused entry but given the prevalence of the Indian strain in the UK, ignoring the requirement to isolate is not welcome. Its also illegal.

The only reason it is prevalent is because nearly 10 million tests per week are being done along with extensive genome sequencing. This is the main requirement now for the red / amber travel list data so it will be interesting which countries go onto the UK's red list in a couple of days time.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Sorry my question is this
    I have family booked to come here in two weeks from UK - they don’t have enough days booked to do self isolation because they the flights booked are from last year . So they arrive Friday and due to fly home on Sunday .
    Will immigration look at the return flight and refuse them entry because technically they aren’t here long enough to isolate ?

No, you are allowed to leave your isolation to return to your home country.
    This has always been the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    If you get a positive PCR result at the airport in Greece you wont be let on the plane. I dont understand why people are talking about this hypothetical child testing positive. Theres no way to bring them into ireland with a positive test.

What it does prove is that requiring kids to do tests is necessary, as some parents appear to have no problem bringing infected kids on planes without a care about potential damage.

It would be pretty reckless to not do what they can to stop this from occurring.

JojoLoca wrote: »

Unlikely to succeed based on the arguments they put forward. Lack of language skills had been used thousands of times and rarely wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 northcider85

Hopefully that god damned law will be history this time tomorrow. Utter lunacy if extended!

What's happening tomorrow? Is there a decision due on the fines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

What's happening tomorrow? Is there a decision due on the fines?

Yes, it expires either midnight tonight or midnight tomorrow

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yes, it expires either midnight tonight or midnight tomorrow

And it will probably be extended sneakily again.

Sorry my question is this
    I have family booked to come here in two weeks from UK - they don’t have enough days booked to do self isolation because they the flights booked are from last year . So they arrive Friday and due to fly home on Sunday .
    Will immigration look at the return flight and refuse them entry because technically they aren’t here long enough to isolate ?

No offence,but they wouldn't be let into France or Germany
    They won't be isolating for the weekend
    Please tell them to put it off untill August sometime
    Its trips like that what will put us back reopening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

To the best of my knowledge it cant currently be extended beyond June 9th. Then when the vote in the Dail takes place tomorrow to extend use of all Covid 19 laws until November 9th it can be extended to whenever then. As things stand all Covid laws expire on June 9th but that will be extended with a Dail vote tomorrow.

So realistically it either gets extended in the next 48 hours or it's done and dusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

Lads. Belfast or Dublin to Majorca in August?. Which is likely to be easier? Won’t be vaccinated. Belfast flights are dirt cheap but I’m worried there will be more flow between EU states than between Eu and Uk when this cert is up and running. The first sign of some proxy variant in the UK and all of a sudden the Uk will be closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

beaz2018 wrote: »
    Lads. Belfast or Dublin to Majorca in August?. Which is likely to be easier? Won’t be vaccinated. Belfast flights are dirt cheap but I’m worried there will be more flow between EU states than between Eu and Uk when this cert is up and running. The first sign of some proxy variant in the UK and all of a sudden the Uk will be closed off.

Dublin. By august there should be very little restrictions in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’ve been snowed under with work and did a travel news omnibus today.

I’m completely shocked with this article though.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/how-new-covid-test-requirements-for-children-will-add-hundreds-of-euro-to-the-cost-of-your-holiday-40489717.html

Take this scenario. Two parents are vaccinated. Kids 9 and 11 years old. So it’s nearly €200 quid per child for a pcr upon return to home country . Ok fine , painful but fine.. Build that into the trip cost.

BUT , what happens if little Johnny or Sarah (or both) test positive. ???? What happens in this case? Maybe one of the vaccinated parents remains on for weeks and weeks until the kid(s) clear a negative result . Does the other vaccinated parent have the option to travel back on a plane WITHOUT a test even though they’re likely infected (albeit with vaccine) . ???

This is incredibly poorly thought out. It renders international travel practically off the cards for anyone travelling with kids and from a covid infection reduction and containment focus it has more holes than a sieve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I totally agree but nothing i stated in my reply is incorrect

dalyboy wrote: »

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/how-new-covid-test-requirements-for-children-will-add-hundreds-of-euro-to-the-cost-of-your-holiday-40489717.html

Take this scenario. Two parents are vaccinated. Kids 9 and 11 years old. So it’s nearly €200 quid per child for a pcr upon return to home country . Ok fine , painful but fine.. Build that into the trip cost.

BUT , what happens if little Johnny or Sarah (or both) test positive. ???? What happens in this case? Maybe one of the vaccinated parents remains on for weeks and weeks until the kid(s) clear a negative result . Does the other vaccinated parent have the option to travel back on a plane WITHOUT a test even though they’re likely infected (albeit with vaccine) . ???

This is incredibly poorly thought out. It renders international travel practically off the cards for anyone travelling with kids and from a covid infection reduction and containment focus it has more holes than a sieve.

I think this is by design. Your travel freedoms have not been denied, they’ve just altered the meaning of the word freedom, so as to make travel as difficult as possible that you don’t go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ngunners

Unlikely to succeed based on the arguments they put forward. Lack of language skills had been used thousands of times and rarely wins.

The mention of language skills seemed like more of an aside rather than a core argument of their case.

Vaccinated people are far less likely to have or spread the virus even when close contacts so it is far from ideal but not crazy to have a parent of an infected kid fly back if that is what the family chooses.

What is the alternative to stopping the kids from travelling back? You can hardly justify putting all the other passengers at risk by bringing on a flight a kid that you know is sick.

I don't understand the push back from some about this, they are giving parents an option if they want to take the risk to travel with their kids. This approach minimizes some of the risk and gives an opportunity for kids to see family members in the 'hard cases' we've been hearing about. There'd be justifiable outrage if they blanket banned kids from travelling, I don't see how people can't accept these terms and are demanding a free for all.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Vaccinated people are far less likely to have or spread the virus even when close contacts so it is far from ideal but not crazy to have a parent of an infected kid fly back if that is what the family chooses.

What is the alternative to stopping the kids from travelling back? You can hardly justify putting all the other passengers at risk by bringing on a flight a kid that you know is sick.

I don't understand the push back from some about this, they are giving parents an option if they want to take the risk to travel with their kids. This approach minimizes some of the risk and gives an opportunity for kids to see family members in the 'hard cases' we've been hearing about. There'd be justifiable outrage if they blanket banned kids from travelling, I don't see how people can't accept these terms and are demanding a free for all.

There was a post a week or so ago about how ticket prices will go through the roof, this is why they won’t. Even though Ireland is being brought (kicking and screaming) into line with the rest of the EU, it’s still going to be a massive pain in the balls to get a holiday this summer.

Most schools start back late august and most parents won’t want to be seen returning their kids to school earlier than 14 days after their holidays. So it’s a small window between the 19 of July to the 15 of august. Stack on top of that all the PCR tests and many will say feck it, not worth the hassle, maybe we’ll do something at the Halloween break.....

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

If it's an eu country surely after 2 weeks kids are entitled to green cert as recovered from covid ? So you shouldn't be stuck for unlimited time?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    If you get a positive PCR result at the airport in Greece you wont be let on the plane. I dont understand why people are talking about this hypothetical child testing positive. Theres no way to bring them into ireland with a positive test.

I think it refers to the fact that with the proposed Green Travel Cert - children under 6 won't need to be tested

This from the EU Covid travel website may be relevant..
    To ensure family unity, minors travelling with parents should be exempted from quarantine when the parents do not need to undergo quarantine, for example due to vaccination. Children under 6 should also be exempted from travel-related testing

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_2782

gozunda wrote: »
    This from the EU Covid travel website may be relevant..

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_2782

That is quarantine though (which makes perfect sense), it doesn't give parents the right to expose a plane full of people to an infected kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

That is quarantine though (which makes perfect sense), it doesn't give parents the right to expose a plane full of people to an infected kid.

Kids over 6 won't be allowed on the plane without a negative test, and kids under 6 won't be tested at all, so there's no way for that scenario to play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This bit
    Children under 6 should also be exempted from travel-related testing

From the proposl for the cert - a child under 6 could potentially fly whilst infected unless I'm reading the proposal incorrectly

Kids over 6 won't be allowed on the plane without a negative test, and kids under 6 won't be tested at all, so there's no way for that scenario to play out.

Yes, we're in agreement. The OP was annoyed about this specific control that stops the scenario from occurring and felt it was 'poorly thought out'.

As pointed out by many, it is a pain for families but it is a perfectly sensible rule when they're trying to limit some level of risk.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    This bit

From the proposl for the cert - a child under 6 could potentially fly whilst infected unless I'm reading the proposal incorrectly

The poster's examples were both above the age of 6 so I am not sure what below 6 relates to.

Young kids are less likely to have and spread it. If they are trying to limit risk while allowing people to travel it makes sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement