Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

Yes it is:

Self isolation at home for 2 weeks with no checking on you etc.

vs

Mandatory hotel quarantine whereby you're not allowed out

BIG DIFFERENCE.

You know they changed the isolation right and you didn't mention hotel quarantine at the start? You have just added into the scenario to try and be correct

titan18 wrote: »
    So 3 months delay, you apply in September, they closed in October so 1 month of that delay is gone. They reopened for 2 weeks in December. 1 and a half months. They won't be reopening until April at the earliest, and I reckon it'll be May. Add 1 and half months on to that reopening date and you're coming to June.

You could have applied in September and your passport was expiring today and you still haven't got it and you still won't for several months. If you applied with over a year on your passport left, you send them your passport so they can cancel it so you wouldn't even have that if you did it that early.

They didn't close though. They worked from home primarily. 3 month delay is 3 month delay. To see adding to it

Wallander wrote: »
    As far as the EU is concerned, fines for international travel can only be justified if non-essential travel around the country is also penalised.

This is from the EU's latest travel policy recommendations:

The high level of community transmission in most Member States means that travel will continue to pose a particular challenge. All non-essential travel, especially to and from high risk areas, should be strongly discouraged until the epidemiological situation has considerably improved, particularly in the light of the outbreak of new variants. Given that the risk of infection or transmission is similar for domestic and cross-border travel, Member States should ensure coherence between the measures applied to both types of non-essential travel.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/48122/st05716-en21-public.pdf

This may be a reason the increase in fines to €2000 hasn't materialised yet (another being that it's clearly excessive!)

International travel is not banned. Why that needs to be stated again and again, I dunno.

In a lower level you can have non essential travel within your county and only dubs can fly. An oddity to be fair but a possible scenario

josip wrote: »
    Does that mean they will have to be rescinded or whatever you do with out of date legislation at some stage?
    If they remain on the statue books, then any guard at the airport who's having an off day, could conceivably fine you for going on holidays?

No, it's connected to travel restrictions which exist in other levels, not just 5

is that not the legal basis for fining people €250 driving to the airport currently? you're leaving your 5km radius for non-essential purposes.

No. No it's not. That's not the correct amount either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

How quickly can an SI be put into effect? Say we decide that another country needs to be added on. How many days can that be done in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

How quickly can an SI be put into effect? Say we decide that another country needs to be added on. How many days can that be done in?

Pretty much instantly but SIs need to be laid before the Oireachtas and can potentially be challenged. It is a draconian power though.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

It can be done in 1 minute. AFAIK SI's don't need approval of the Dail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

and anyone that allowed their passport to run that short only has their own lack of planning to blame.

So applying for a passport 6 months before the old one is due to expire is bad planning? My car will be due it's first NCT next March, I'll probably change it, but should I book one now just incase?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    So applying for a passport 6 months before the old one is due to expire is bad planning? My car will be due it's first NCT next March, I'll probably change it, but should I book one now just incase?:pac:

Off topic try get a driver's licence LOL afaik PS are still on full pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

You know they changed the isolation right and you didn't mention hotel quarantine at the start? You have just added into the scenario to try and be correct

What point are you trying to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jacktorrance

pjohnson wrote: »
    Are they forced to travel? If they agree to travel then they agree to a stay in the quarantine hotel.
    So you think if somebody is abroad as an essential worker and a loved one of theirs dies at home, then they should be made stay locked up in a hotel for 2 weeks and not be allowed attend the funeral? not everybody is away just on a holiday you know..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Cork airport announced a new flight to frankfurt in June with Lufthansa.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

TheDriver wrote: »
    Cork airport announced a new flight to frankfurt in June with Lufthansa.

That's for the Germans to come and visit not for Paddy to go abroad ...if Nphet are still calling the shots !

So you think if somebody is abroad as an essential worker and a loved one of theirs dies at home, then they should be made stay locked up in a hotel for 2 weeks and not be allowed attend the funeral? not everybody is away just on a holiday you know..

My friends husband's dad was dying in Australia, he tried to get there and get an exemption from quarantine, authorities said no. His dad died. He didn't go.

What point are you trying to make?

That you should stick to correct and accurate information in this thread. If you are speaking about 'hotel quarantine' then state that. Dont add it in at the end because there is enough absolute manure and misinformation already thrown about as fact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

It is almost a fortnight now since I left Ireland, best decision I made, just regretting I didn't bail out at the end of November and I will be back home for the summer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

bubblypop wrote: »
    My friends husband's dad was dying in Australia, he tried to get there and get an exemption from quarantine, authorities said no. His dad died. He didn't go.

Utterly disgusting and inhumane.

Sorry for your friend’s lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

That you should stick to correct and accurate information in this thread. If you are speaking about 'hotel quarantine' then state that. Dont add it in at the end because there is enough absolute manure and misinformation already thrown about as fact

My point still stands though - there is no quarantine in Ireland at the moment from Europe and they're definitely won't be this summer.

bubblypop wrote: »

And you want that here? Where we have a multiple of the numbers of cross-border families than Australia

No thanks

• Advertisement

My point still stands though - there is no quarantine in Ireland at the moment from Europe and they're definitely won't be this summer.

Your point remains a choice of words and nothing more. To suggest that legally mandated remaining in your home isnt a quarantine is merely splitting of hairs.

I would suggest that its a lot closer to suggest that mandatory isolation is quarantine that suggesting to people it doesnt exist as that, to me suggests people are free to roam the fields. You didnt, until the very end include the word 'hotel'. You can go back and check, you didnt. It significantly changes the narrative and you have again dropped it. Decide what your point is please

faceman wrote: »
    Utterly disgusting and inhumane.

Sorry for your friend’s lost.

Maybe so but Bubbles point is that Australia, the glowing light of covid freedom to many, can be very strict.

And you want that here? Where we have a multiple of the numbers of cross-border families than Australia

No thanks

Where did I say I wanted that here???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Austria is in the category 2 list so that’s not entirely correct. Donnelly is meeting Nolan tonight to review international data to see who else can be added. Seems they have a further 30 potentials.

Whatever about non EU countries, as rates come down across Europe and EU countries are added the government will have to have justification for keeping them on it if rates are low in Ireland and the other EU country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Well it's passed. Only took about a year.....better late than ever.

https://twitter.com/CarrollJennifer/status/1364983135931404289?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Is there any idea when this comes into actual force and if countries can be added over night?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

People make choices and choices can have real consequences.
    If you live far away, don't take for granted that you can always get home immediately in case of emergency.

But it is a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Minister just signs a piece of paper.

They need to be consistent with the primary legislation. The Government has had them overruled by the courts if they stray from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

People make choices and choices can have real consequences.
    If you live far away, don't take for granted that you can always get home immediately in case of emergency.

But it is a choice.

People can get home almost immediately.

The big difference now is that expats living in Ireland or abroad are now having to factor in an unprecedented and expensive mandatory quarantine of healthy and unhealthy people that never existed before today.

Before they made their choice, this never existed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

How will this be enforced?

There are no direct flights from f.e. South Africa or Brazil to Ireland.. if anyone just transfers elsewhere in Europe, gets a covid test there, it looks fairly easy to circumvent these heavy restrictions. Heavy because people are already arriving now with a negative PCR test - most cases are community transmissions in Ireland now. My say is that the hotel quarantine rollout only now is mostly to please the critics who were calling for this, however it will not improve the covid numbers on both the short and long-term.

On another note, did they release any info about which hotels will be participating in this scheme, their prices and food menu's?

What will happen when someone arrives without a valid PCR test but is unable to pay for the hotel?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement