Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DubLad69

I think that all of the hype from the government about travel lately was simply to discourage people from booking summer holidays.

The went on and on about increasing the fines from 100 to 500 and then started saying that they would be increased to 2000.

Now they are talking about quarantine a lot. But realistically, most of the countries on the quarantine list wouldn't be too popular with Irish tourists anyway.

I expect that come June or July it will be possible to travel anywhere. The fines will still be possible, but without any enforcement and quarantine will only be for the worse countries.

By that stage most of us will be vaccinated, deaths will be zero, transmission rates will be through the floor and it would be political suicide to keep up these measures at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The Sunday Times reports here (paywall) that international travel from the UK is surging for the summer.
    EasyJet, Ryanair, Tui and Thomas Cook have reported a surge in demand since the prime minister revealed plans to loosen restrictions, with bookings to Spain and Greece proving popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

IQO wrote: »
    Did you also have to do the rapid antigen test for the connection in Amsterdam, was this checked before boarding?

For anyone who is not on the very short exemption list, both the PCR and antigen tests are checked repeatedly. I flew from Dublin through the Netherlands this month. Online check-in was suspended and everyone has to present their documents upon check-in at the airport. They were checking not just tests required for transit through the Netherlands but the entry requirements of the destination countries. I was travelling to a country which allows essential travel only, and the airline required proof of my essential reason. The check-in queue took about 1 hour, and in that time about a quarter of the passengers were turned away for incorrect documents. The rapid antigen test was checked prior to check-in, at check-in, prior to boarding, at boarding, and upon landing in the Netherlands. The swab had to be taken no more than 4 hours before departure, and that was also checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

DubLad69 wrote: »
    I think that all of the hype from the government about travel lately was simply to discourage people from booking summer holidays.

The went on and on about increasing the fines from 100 to 500 and then started saying that they would be increased to 2000.

Now they are talking about quarantine a lot. But realistically, most of the countries on the quarantine list wouldn't be too popular with Irish tourists anyway.

I expect that come June or July it will be possible to travel anywhere. The fines will still be possible, but without any enforcement and quarantine will only be for the worse countries.

By that stage most of us will be vaccinated, deaths will be zero, transmission rates will be through the floor and it would be political suicide to keep up these measures at that stage.

Colombia got added to the list the other day. Thank god I came home the other week before it got added. I was expecting it to happen while I was vtjerento be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

fran38 wrote: »
    Edit: Replying to Boston09s question. I'm flying home in the morning so will update this when I'm home.

Arrived home an hour and a half ago. There were four Gardai inside the exit at T2. They stopped two separate lads. I kept my head down and walked on unaccosted. One of the fellas soon passed me out and said he was asked if he had ciggies to declare. It could be that the gard had to be seen stopping someone as I'm sure Gardai management has access to CCTV if needed.
    On a separate note, Dubai airport is an absolute monster 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

JTMan wrote: »
    The Sunday Times reports here (paywall) that international travel from the UK is surging for the summer.

Do hope this is true about their plans to loosen restrictions.

Home a few days ago from a project in South America, colleague who was to go out there for second phase of project got turned back by British Airways at Manchester yesterday.

With limited flight options to get around Europe atm, booking did have him through Spain and France before going on to Cayanne, sounds like due to the lack of transparency of the wildly varying restrictions in different countries.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Dubai airport is an absolute monster
    Going there tomorrow, what’s it like these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Getting resigned to the fact that I'll probably be within the 5km for most of 2021 with perhaps an odd beyondthepale getaway. My heart nearly broke watching an 'Echappe est belle' episode from Les Landes and the Skydiving club at Mimizan, 4000+M high with ocean/beach/forest below happy memory!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Half of Britain are flocking to the Med on 17 May by the looks of it!! Will be interesting to see how it pans out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

3rd wave underway in countries that mostly avoided the 3rd wave we got, it's interesting, no matter what measures you take, the wave seems to hit, be it delayed or whatever. The current Central European wave will likely peak mid-March and theyll be where we are by late April...will we see a 4th wave or will the suppression and vaccine protect us?

What happens in Britain will be a big clue... We seem to be in a cycle ahead of continental Europe.

• Advertisement

3rd wave underway in countries that mostly avoided the 3rd wave we got, it's interesting, no matter what measures you take, the wave seems to hit, be it delayed or whatever. The current Central European wave will likely peak mid-March and theyll be where we are by late April...will we see a 4th wave or will the suppression and vaccine protect us?

What happens in Britain will be a big clue... We seem to be in a cycle ahead of continental Europe.

With so many Brits vaccinated, it will be interesting to see if they avoid another peak.

With so many Brits vaccinated, it will be interesting to see if they avoid another peak.

There will likely be another wave of infections in the UK. The key thing, that they’ve been talking about in their pressers, is whether the link between infections and severe disease / hospitalisation is broken. Which JVT said that they believe is close to happening, but at the same time pleading with people to be cautious so that they can make sure that it does break

They cant release at the pace that is planned in the UK without infections going back up. But, unlike here, infections on their own are not one of the 4 indicators informing the roadmap. It’s hospitalisations. They’re trying to be sure before they open up fully that the infection - hospitalisation link is broken.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Going there tomorrow, what’s it like these days?

Dubai is generally open. Masks are mandatory everywhere including on the street. Only pub thats open is the Irish Village. You'll pay for a drink there however. Pint is 35 AED which is around 8 Euro. Shopping centres are mobbed. Streets are thronged. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Children dont work so have no essential reasons to travel, makes complete sense

Child access arrangements are explicitly on the list of reasons for essential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Dubai is generally open. Masks are mandatory everywhere including on the street. Only pub thats open is the Irish Village. You'll pay for a drink there however. Pint is 35 AED which is around 8 Euro. Shopping centres are mobbed. Streets are thronged. Enjoy.

Oh I love the Irish Village- apart from the prices. Food used to be excellent and the live music but it's a while since I have been!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Spanish scientists are predicting a potential 4th wave in mid April. The 3rd wave is suppressed here in some areas. Hospitality starting to open in my region today, albeit slowly

That does not sound enjoyable!!!

Oh I love the Irish Village- apart from the prices. Food used to be excellent and the live music but it's a while since I have been!

Re: food. I asked the barman did they do bacon and cabbage expecting to be sneered at. Like in Dubai are ya serious? But they did and it was delish...

bubblypop wrote: »
    That does not sound enjoyable!!!

It is enjoyable, it's a sign of a society trying hard to keep things going. Cafes are open where you can have a meal.outside in the balmy evenings. Don't know what's not enjoyable about that. Whereas here, we cut off our nose to spite our face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

It is enjoyable, it's a sign of a society trying hard to keep things going. Cafes are open where you can have a meal.outside in the balmy evenings. Don't know what's not enjoyable about that. Whereas here, we cut off our nose to spite our face.

that sounds like heaven comapred to this absolute leaderless ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Dubai bound in an A320 with proper business class.

545432.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

FYI for anyone interested I contracted passport office this morning via webchat and asked them were online automatic passport renewals still being processed as they did not require additional documentation (like some posters have suggested) and they said no - nothing is being processed unless it's an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

smurfjed wrote: »
    Dubai bound in an A320 with proper business class.

545432.jpeg

any garda checkpoints around airport?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The Valencia region has started to loosen restrictions today after a 6 week partial lockdown. The 14 day rate is approx half of Ireland’s but I guess it’s because we don’t have the U.K. variant as prevalent here.

Outdoor dining and drinking is back until 6pm daily. No inside dining, no gyms or indoor leisure.

The rule on wearing a mask while exercising outdoors has been relaxed but it’s still required outdoors other than that.

Currently having lunch in my local while on a break from lunch. Weather is crap by Spanish standards but it’s good to support local businesses. Ireland was definitely ahead of curve with financial supports. Spain failed epically in that regard.

Not for me!
    Firstly, the Irish village is not interesting to me, I don't go overseas to visit Irish pubs.
    Secondly, I hate packed shopping centres and streets, nothing to do with covid. Dubai is extremely expensive, not worth it imo.
    Regarding covid, I wouldn't like wearing masks on the street, I lived in a country where I had to wear one outside during winter, constantly.

So, nothing enjoyable in Dubai for me, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself though :)

copeyhagen wrote: »
    any garda checkpoints around airport?

No garda around Smurfs airports :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

FYI for anyone interested I contracted passport office this morning via webchat and asked them were online automatic passport renewals still being processed as they did not require additional documentation (like some posters have suggested) and they said no - nothing is being processed unless it's an emergency.

Fits in to the theory that it's a way to stop travel overseas rather than a they can't process passports due to covid restrictions from working in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

titan18 wrote: »
    Fits in to the theory that it's a way to stop travel overseas rather than a they can't process passports due to covid restrictions from working in the office.

I wonder is there some Irish constitutional or EU law against this? Is it your right to passport and free movement etc.

If this was the case I'd be happy to contact local TD to try to apply some pressure...

I wonder is there some Irish constitutional or EU law against this? Is it your right to passport and free movement etc.

If this was the case I'd be happy to contact local TD to try to apply some pressure...

If you believe a law to be unconstitutional, you can bring a case to the high court.
    Like Gemma Doherty and John Waters did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

titan18 wrote: »

There are a few problems with that theory if you look at the other services the DFA has paused. They aren't even registering foreign births during Level 5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement