Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

bubblypop wrote: »
    If you believe a law to be unconstitutional, you can bring a case to the high court.
    Like Gemma Doherty and John Waters did.

Well i dont want to do that obviously, but if denying citizens their passport was against Irish or EU laws I'c certainly bring that to the attention of my local TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Well i dont want to do that obviously, but if denying citizens their passport was against Irish or EU laws I'c certainly bring that to the attention of my local TD.

It is actually just going to stir up trouble down the line when things normalise. People will have travel booked but there is be waiting lists for passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Possibly some good news on the horizon....

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0301/1200149-covid19-eu/

However we have to factor in NPHET and DFA here in that they will still have their only essential travel mantra.

I can see this going the way of last Summer's travel map traffic light system. In that the Irish people will constantly see a don't travel narrative coming from our new overlords and this new EU scheme won't reach a mainstream audience.

And NPHET won't even be questioned about it in press conferences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wonder is there some Irish constitutional or EU law against this? Is it your right to passport and free movement etc.

If this was the case I'd be happy to contact local TD to try to apply some pressure...

Sadly not, but the Indo ran a story on it

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/passport-pause-wont-fly-with-irish-citizens-40140159.html

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

getting out of this hellhole next wk

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Alaninwondeand

Is there a thread or list of acceptable excus... acceptable conditions for travel. We know Tenerife dentist's are Popular, what else are people doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Is there a thread or list of acceptable excus... acceptable conditions for travel. We know Tenerife dentist's are Popular, what else are people doing?

Apply for a job as a lorry driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Looks like all those shouting 'close the airports' are getting their way. Aer Lingus lays off all staff at Shannon for the next three months.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0301/1200171-aer-lingus-shannon/?fbclid=IwAR0HnrkdQ5uZpJqQitUT8VhRcA_S2H1-Qy65CXPL7tFk_bwOQosoQMgNNJ0

Exemptions are listed in legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

faceman wrote: »
    A lot of French and a sizeable number of Germans are against it. Its sole purpose is to save summer tourism, especially for the Mediterranean countries but you probably won't be able to bring your kids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Dubai airport this afternoon, like a ghost town.

545494.jpeg

I don’t know where the PCR document checks were conductEd as no one asked me.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Flying from Munich to DUB last week via FRA as no direct from MUC anymore. Munich was dead but was surprised how busy FRA was. No covid checks on internal flights within Germany.

iwDHSZD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

However we have to factor in NPHET and DFA here in that they will still have their only essential travel mantra.

I can see this going the way of last Summer's travel map traffic light system. In that the Irish people will constantly see a don't travel narrative coming from our new overlords and this new EU scheme won't reach a mainstream audience.

This is possible. I think what happens here could depend largely on how the non-tourist destination countries like Germany and Belgium react. If they fully embrace it, I can't see Ireland being the only EU country to ban non-essential travel would have a leg to stand on, legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Would be interesting to see how this applies to under 18s. You could be faced with issues on entry to a restaurant/venue requiring a vaccine passport. We have all had those bouncer experiences......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Wikidy wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see how this applies to under 18s. You could be faced with issues on entry to a restaurant/venue requiring a vaccine passport. We have all had those bouncer experiences......

Would probably require a PCR test for the 12+.
    Some countries exempt under 12s from PCR reqs when accompanied by a negative PCR adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Can you imagine NPHETs comment on it "It's not something we would advise" or "it's too risky" or some other vague phrase

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

I asked a similar question last month and a mod was quick to.pounce. I was told my question amounted to an attempt to circumvent the law. You may get a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

smurfjed wrote: »
    Dubai airport this afternoon, like a ghost town.

545494.jpeg

I don’t know where the PCR document checks were conductEd as no one asked me.

I flew from Dubai Sunday morning. Was asked for my PCR cert at the check in desk and at security. My passenger locator email was asked for at check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

fran38 wrote: »
    I flew from Dubai Sunday morning. Was asked for my PCR cert at the check in desk and at security. My passenger locator email was asked for at check in.

Where are the “thousands” Of virus infected Granny killers we keep hearing about?

TheDriver wrote: »
    Can you imagine NPHETs comment on it "It's not something we would advise" or "it's too risky" or some other vague phrase

You know it. Probably wording up the response as we speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Cases up a bit here in Malta including an all time high there on Friday, no surprise really with the carnival two weeks ago and all the restaurants bustling.

Thankfully as usual, there's no real news about it in the headlines and next to no chance of a lockdown - https://lovinmalta.com/lifestyle/health/covid-19/chris-fearne-comes-out-against-more-covid-19-restrictions-vaccine-is-our-circuit-breaker/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Cases up a bit here in Malta including an all time high there on Friday, no surprise really with the carnival two weeks ago and all the restaurants bustling.

Thankfully as usual, there's no real news about it in the headlines and next to no chance of a lockdown - https://lovinmalta.com/lifestyle/health/covid-19/chris-fearne-comes-out-against-more-covid-19-restrictions-vaccine-is-our-circuit-breaker/

It sounds like such a common sense, life affirming, normal country in comparison to the strident hysteria here. Even reading the article you link I'm immediately struck by just how balanced that minister is. Strikes caution where necessary but basically gives the green light to living. And I love the attacking /defending football metaphor.:pac:

Really would make you wonder why here in Ireland we have such a love affair with misery. Wish I was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

acequion wrote: »
    It sounds like such a common sense, life affirming, normal country in comparison to the strident hysteria here. Even reading the article you link I'm immediately struck by just how balanced that minister is. Strikes caution where necessary but basically gives the green light to living. And I love the attacking /defending football metaphor.:pac:

Really would make you wonder why here in Ireland we have such a love affair with misery. Wish I was there!

Something something to do with having a tiny population and one of the highest ranked healthcare systems in the world - that said looks like they are about to experience a spread of tte UK variant - similar to here after Christmas. That said - it looks like Malta continues to lead the EU in its vaccine roll out programme.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/watch-live-charmaine-gauci-gives-covid-19-update-amid-record-cases.854287

But yeah shssh - Ireland trying to reduce its covid incident rate eh :rolleyes:

TheDriver wrote: »

Didn’t take long.... https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40235927.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Not surprising. But that one will be out of NPHET’s hands.

There will be a big push on the staycation next.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

I can already hear it come July when the rest of Europe and the UK are travelling, we will be told ‘we continue to advise against all unnecessary international travel’....

Much like the vaccine roll out plans, antigen testing etc., they probably won’t even begin to examine it until it’s upon us. Ever hear of scenario or contingency planning lads?!

And at the same time, they’ll be crying out for more funds for the health service. It amazes me how ignorant a lot of people are to the monetary value of the travel industry and inbound tourism to Ireland.

Golfman64 wrote: »
    I can already hear it come July when the rest of Europe and the UK are travelling, we will be told ‘we continue to advise against all unnecessary international travel’....

Much like the vaccine roll out plans, antigen testing etc., they probably won’t even begin to examine it until it’s upon us. Ever hear of scenario or contingency planning lads?!

And at the same time, they’ll be crying out for more funds for the health service. It amazes me how ignorant a lot of people are to the monetary value of the travel industry and inbound tourism to Ireland.

If they are considering passing legislation to ban issuance of visas for all hotel quarantine countries, it would mean that there’d never be a chance of any mandatory quarantine for any EU country, the UK or the USA (the latter for political reasons). That is fine with me if that’s where we land with this. That’s the overwhelming about of our tourism and family / personal travel. It basically kills the whole ZC conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

However, deputy chief medical officer (CMO) Dr Ronan Glynn quickly poured cold water on the prospect, claiming it is "too early at this point to discuss the utility of it".

Irish officials will be part of the discussions, but Dr Glynn said he anticipates some form of restrictions to be in place until the end of the year.

lol, such a joke.

I was going to say Glynn shouldn't even be allowed to be a part of the discussions, but he should - but that's all him and the likes of Tony Holohan should be - one voice at the table amongst many, one part of a conversation to strike a balance between whatever health concerns remain come June, and economic and social activity.

Absolutely not de-facto decision makers running the show, like they are in Ireland currently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

What happened to the €2000 fine, did that one die a death? I assume it's still at €500 at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If they are considering passing legislation to ban issuance of visas for all hotel quarantine countries, it would mean that there’d never be a chance of any mandatory quarantine for any EU country, the UK or the USA (the latter for political reasons). That is fine with me if that’s where we land with this. That’s the overwhelming about of our tourism and family / personal travel. It basically kills the whole ZC conversation

Austria is on the category 2 list

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement