Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Valencia region is publishing its vaccine plan for the next phase in April. Similar population to Ireland and there’ll be 400,000 vaccines a week from the first week in April.

Ireland by comparison, again with a similar population will only be doing 250,000 a week from April.

Austria has broken rank with the EU and is joining with Denmark and Israel for researching further vaccines to tackle mutations.

Ireland is going to be lagging way behind by June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    What happened to the €2000 fine, did that one die a death? I assume it's still at €500 at the moment?

It's being brought in. Fingers crossed it gets raised even higher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Would you support a similar fine introduced for confirmed cases and close contacts who don’t quarantine and self isolate?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

If they are considering passing legislation to ban issuance of visas for all hotel quarantine countries, it would mean that there’d never be a chance of any mandatory quarantine for any EU country, the UK or the USA (the latter for political reasons). That is fine with me if that’s where we land with this. That’s the overwhelming about of our tourism and family / personal travel. It basically kills the whole ZC conversation

For the amount of expats living in Ireland from the Category 2 countries, I don't see how anyone is fine with that.

There is a massive amount of expats that contribute greatly to Ireland and basically giving them the two fingers IMO.

Lots of variants originated in the UK yet not on the ban list (there is an argument due to border), USA one of the worst affected countries in the world. Regardless, Austria is on that list and in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I think your futile dream of aviation collapsing in the future is a pipe one. Travel will begin to resume later on in the year whether you like it or not. Once the masses are vaccinated the EU will be putting pressure on things to start moving again. People have families abroad and will see them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I think your futile dream of aviation collapsing in the future is a pipe one. Travel will begin to resume later on in the year whether you like it or not. Once the masses are vaccinated the EU will be putting pressure on things to start moving again. People have families abroad and will see them again.

Quite the contrary. I cant wait to travel again. But when it's safe.

I'm even optimistic we could be flying again by summer if the vaccine passport system is up and running.

It's the selfish, scummy people flying out to lanzo for 2 weeks, endangering the public, and potentially unravelling all the hard work we have done here that I want to see prohibited and punished.

Throw the book at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I'm even optimistic we could be flying again by summer if the vaccine passport system is up and running.

It's the selfish, scummy people flying out to lanzo for 2 weeks, endangering the public, and potentially unravelling all the hard work we have done here that I want to see prohibited and punished.

Throw the book at them.

I'm going to Lanzo for 3 weeks in July so you can throw 1.5 books at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

Throw the book at them.

Yeah, those degenerates. Coming back here with their negative covid tests putting everyone at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Throw the book at them.

I don't get this faux outrage in Ireland ! When we were the 'worst in the world' in early January we were 4 times the infection rate of "Lanzo". Even now they have half or less of our rate and have a better health care system HERE
    If anything they should have Ireland on a blocked list since Jan and have kept us out as opposed us not being allowed to leave. It's safer to be in The Canaries than Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't think the book throwing is expected to last until July :)
    I haven't been in contact with any throwers, but I doubt if any of them are so detached from reality as to be still throwing in the middle of the summer when most of us are vaccinated and Europe has returned to normal.
    I think you'll find that they'll have put their books back on the shelf by the end of April.

• Advertisement

Throw the book at them.

While now is not the time for holidays, someone who does go for 2 weeks to Lanzarote is hardly a beacon of grave danger to Ireland given Lanzarote has lower rates than Ireland and no prevailing mutant variant of concern

(Unlike Ireland.)

Also what do you mean by “when it’s safe”?

josip wrote: »
    I haven't been in contact with any throwers, but I doubt if any of them are so detached from reality as to be still throwing in the middle of the summer when most of us are vaccinated and Europe has returned to normal.
    I think you'll find that they'll have put their books back on the shelf by the end of April.

NPHET and RTE's bookshelf and by extension the general public's always has spare books lying around ready to be flung.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

josip wrote: »

We'll see..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I don't get this sneering at Spanish destinations, although I prefer further afield myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

A Joe Duffy listener Im guessing?? People have suffered enough through this pandemic and should be allowed a little hope of escaping this dump for the summer ahead. Why are you all about fining people leaving this country when anyone can roll in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't get this sneering at Spanish destinations, although I prefer further afield myself.

You'll find terms such as "grubby foreigners" mixed in there also.
    Quelle surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    What happened to the €2000 fine, did that one die a death? I assume it's still at €500 at the moment?

Can't find a link but it was approved yesterday. Gone to be signed by someone or other.

Apparently they're debating an amendment. There will be a firing squad of librarians throwing books at those 'selfish, scummy' holidaymakers returning from Lanzo at arrivals.

It's only a temporary measure and only expected to remain in place until the USC goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

2k they know it will be tested if introduced, passing through next wk on essential travel wont be coming back anytime soon
    Will get vaccinated in my opened city of residence in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

Love it. Enjoy pal 🙂

Prob not the forum for this question but has anyone been contacted by those passenger locator form people after coming home? And have ye gone for another PCR test within five days of arriving back? I'm thinking of doing one coz I'm finding my pals are a bit squeamish about meeting me lol.

• Advertisement

fran38 wrote: »
    Prob not the forum for this question but has anyone been contacted by those passenger locator form people after coming home? And have ye gone for another PCR test within five days of arriving back? I'm thinking of doing one coz I'm finding my pals are a bit squeamish about meeting me lol.

My first trip back to Ireland last year I was contacted by text and a missed call (no voicemail). My second trip back there was no communication.

You are required by law to isolate for 14 days assuming youre not on the category 2 list. After 5 days you can take PCR test and if negative you're freeeeeeee!

faceman wrote: »
    My first trip back to Ireland last year I was contacted by text and a missed call (no voicemail). My second trip back there was no communication.

You are required by law to isolate for 14 days assuming youre not on the category 2 list. After 5 days you can take PCR test and if negative you're freeeeeeee!

Its within five days not after five days isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Nope, it’s after five days. Same way close contacts are tested day five. Gives time for something to get to the stage of being detectable if you picked it up while traveling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Just a heads up there lads for those thinking of booking a getaway to pontins.
    They seemed to have tried to ban half of Ireland based on Surnames.
    Hopefully other UK holiday companies don't try do the same.
    Surely it's illegal under EU law.

https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1366693397654876161?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

LOL...I'm not sure you are meant to be meeting "pals" regardless of PCR :p

Nope, it’s after five days. Same way close contacts are tested day five. Gives time for something to get to the stage of being detectable if you picked it up while traveling.

Makes sense. Thanks

Just a heads up there lads for those thinking of booking a getaway to pontins.
    They seemed to have tried to ban half of Ireland based on Surnames.
    Hopefully other UK holiday companies don't try do the same.
    Surely it's illegal under EU law.

https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1366693397654876161?s=20

Company tries to avoid travellers entering their premises. Don’t see the problem myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I got 3 or 4 automated texts including a 'thank you' one on the 14th day.
    No calls or anything like that.
    I didn't go for a test after 5 days as there was nothing to do anyway so I couldn't be bothered with the expense and discomfort of another test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Company tries to avoid travellers entering their premises. Don’t see the problem myself.

So preventing people from holidaying based on surname is grand?

It's stupid and will probably cause people to end up anglicising their surnames further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

So preventing people from holidaying based on surname is grand?

It's stupid and will probably cause people to end up anglicising their surnames further.

Not really a covid issue. Likely the same people targeted, find the pubs in an Irish town close when they're having a funeral.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement