Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Not really a covid issue. Likely the same people targeted, find the pubs in an Irish town close when they're having a funeral.

Agree but it is travel related. Now if it is just banning travellers , which people seem ok with then that's one thing.
    Alternatively given the way the vaccines are going there it could be covid related.
    Given that the list of names constitutes about 45K families I'd wager most of whom aren't travellers then it could be something else.

Either way banning based on surname is incredibly crude. Murphy is there FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Murphy is there FFS.

In fairness he's a terrible hoor with drink taken !:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Just a heads up there lads for those thinking of booking a getaway to pontins.
    They seemed to have tried to ban half of Ireland based on Surnames.
    Hopefully other UK holiday companies don't try do the same.
    Surely it's illegal under EU law.

https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1366693397654876161?s=20

It is probably against EU law and perhaps against the Charter in Hunan rights, but the UK left the EU so it will be interesting on how it progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Not surprising. But that one will be out of NPHET’s hands.

Absolutely. And for that reason alone there is hope

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Hi there, does anyone know if Garda checkpoints inspect boarding passes?

• Advertisement

LeeroyJ. wrote: »

Depends on the Garda. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

LeeroyJ. wrote: »

If you're going to a funeral, you're going to a funeral... they are hardly going to ask details surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Just a heads up there lads for those thinking of booking a getaway to pontins.
    They seemed to have tried to ban half of Ireland based on Surnames.
    Hopefully other UK holiday companies don't try do the same.
    Surely it's illegal under EU law.

eh, have you been asleep for the past five years?

eh, have you been asleep for the past five years?

It's called sarcasm :pac: :cool:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56246848
    The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) investigated after being contacted by a whistleblower.
    A spokesperson for Prime Minister Boris Johnson said such discrimination was "completely unacceptable".

By declining to provide its services to guests of a certain race or ethnic group, Pontins was "directly discriminating on the basis of race" and breached the 2010 Equality Act, the EHRC said.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Depends on the Garda. Why?

I wouldn't have thought that was any of our business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Whopping huge news for Belfast City Airport today

Ryanair is returning to Belfast City Airport after 11 years

The airline has launched 8 new routes for summer ’21 connecting Belfast to a host of international summer destinations.

These include: Malaga, Mallorca, Faro, Alicante, Barcelona, Ibiza, Milan Bergamo, Valencia.

CEO of Belfast City Airport, Brian Ambrose said:

“This is excellent news for those in Northern Ireland considering a getaway this summer.

Travel has been significantly restricted over the last 12 months and as the vaccine rollout continues at pace and the restrictions ease, we expect there will be considerable demand for these routes, and we look forward to welcoming Ryanair customers through the terminal.”

Link

RobitTV wrote: »

The airline has launched 8 new routes for summer ’21 connecting Belfast to a host of international summer destinations.

These include: Malaga, Mallorca, Faro, Alicante, Barcelona, Ibiza, Milan Bergamo, Valencia.

“This is excellent news for those in Northern Ireland considering a getaway this summer.

Travel has been significantly restricted over the last 12 months and as the vaccine rollout continues at pace and the restrictions ease, we expect there will be considerable demand for these routes, and we look forward to welcoming Ryanair customers through the terminal.”

Link

Great news for them and for those cross border holiday makers.

giphy.gif

So with the UK planning to open mid-June, Europe planning a Vax/PCR passport within 3 months and NPHET telling us to 'hold firm' until 2022 with regard to foreign travel HERE holidays!. Are we to expect border checkpoints and fines. The British tried to police the porous border for 30 years with little success. With the 'cautious' approach being touted here it will be interesting to see what the govt approach is?. The rest of Europe at least seems to have a plan at opening up society but Ireland moving the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

a clanger wrote: »
    So with the UK planning to open mid-June, Europe planning a Vax/PCR passport within 3 months and NPHET telling us to 'hold firm' until 2022 with regard to foreign travel HERE holidays!. Are we to expect border checkpoints and fines. The British tried to police the porous border for 30 years with little success. With the 'cautious' approach being touted here it will be interesting to see what the govt approach is?. The rest of Europe at least seems to have a plan at opening up society but Ireland moving the opposite direction.

I'm hopeful vax passports are up and running in a functional manner by late summer and we can travel safely.

Its certainly not a priority though. Its a corollary of a successful vaccine program and reduction in cases. That's the main focus, if we succeed in that then going on holidays will be more of a bonus than anything.

A 'wait and see' is the smart approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Israel introducing the same thing criminals have locked on their ankles, to the wrists of arriving travelers.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/israel-launches-covid-19-tracking-bracelet-for-travellers-101614678460371.html

Honestly at this rate the tin-foil hate brigade are going to be owed an apology soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

RobitTV wrote: »

Link

That's just filling the gap caused by FlyBe collapsing, they accounted for nearly 80% of Belfast Citys flights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

That's just filling the gap caused by FlyBe collapsing, they accounted for nearly 80% of Belfast Citys flights

It's a blatant middle finger to the Irish government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Tazz T wrote: »

Two birds with one stone, filling a gap in the North and a big f**k you to the South.
    I expect dentist's in Belfast might be getting enquiries ;-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Two birds with one stone, filling a gap in the North and a big f**k you to the South.

The government wont care one bit about this. Their tunnel vision will be their undoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Once the travel restrictions are lifted there'll be nothing to stop you going up North. In fact Staycations up there will probably be encouraged in the summer as they were last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Israel introducing the same thing criminals have locked on their ankles, to the wrists of arriving travelers.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/israel-launches-covid-19-tracking-bracelet-for-travellers-101614678460371.html

Honestly at this rate the tin-foil hate brigade are going to be owed an apology soon.

Not a bad idea... The problem last summer wasn't those who traveled, it was those who traveled and didn't isolate on their return, this would ensure isolation and you can do it in the comfort of your own home

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Once the travel restrictions are lifted there'll be nothing to stop you going up North. In fact Staycations up there will probably be encouraged in the summer as they were last year.

Another massive own goal. The government of the republic seem intent on blindly driving our economy off a cliff. Stifle the tourism and travel industry at home and watch on like rabbits in headlights as businesses pull their jobs and revenue elsewhere. Watch them pull out of hosting Euro2021 matches next.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Latest ECDC traffic light travel map published. Canary Islands back to red after being orange last Thursday. (Not that it’s relevant for Irish people returning from there as PCR needed regardless of what colour it is).

The islands have a 4 level system. Lanzarote currently at L3 along with La Graciosa. The rest are at L1 or L2.

Level 3 means bars and restaurants close at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Another massive own goal. The government of the republic seem intent on blindly driving our economy off a cliff. Stifle the tourism and travel industry at home and watch on like rabbits in headlights as businesses pull their jobs and revenue elsewhere. Watch them pull out of hosting Euro2021 matches next.....

UEFA are going to do that for them. Cheers Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How anyone could put any great store in any announcement or plan of the current UK government is beyond me.

If it keeps you happy, then I suppose it has some use. But it reminds me of a parent telling a kid "the next day" when the kid is crying that they want something now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Filling a big gap in the south too once the 5km limit goes. All the 'close the airports'ers will be dreadfully confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

....All the 'close the airports'ers will be dreadfully confused.

Do you not reckon that they are already ?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

How anyone could put any great store in any announcement or plan of the current UK government is beyond me.

If it keeps you happy, then I suppose it has some use. But it reminds me of a parent telling a kid "the next day" when the kid is crying that they want something now.

You're right in that it may not come to pass, but the key point for me is that the UK and the EU Commission are planning things, actually trying to get some wheels in motion. I imagine Ireland in EU meetings on vaccine passports are sitting in the corner desperately hoping they don't have to say anything.

If things do go as planned, I expect the government here at some point will reluctantly fall in line with an opening of travel across Europe, say they had no choice but leave people free to tut-tut at anyone going on holiday.

That is a very valid point !

But as the other poster said at least there is a plan that can be used to hold them to task when/if it does not come to pass.

We have " We'll review it next month lads...but don't be getting ahead of yourselves and expect much" or "data not dates" ..Well if it is data not dates what is the data criterion NPHET want, publish it for all to see and not just fancy soundbites (lets face it NPHET will call the shots )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That is a very valid point !

But as the other poster said at least there is a plan that can be used to hold them to task when/if it does not come to pass.

We have " We'll review it next month lads...but don't be getting ahead of yourselves and expect much" or "data not dates" ..Well if it is data not dates what is the data criterion NPHET want, publish it for all to see and not just fancy soundbites (lets face it NPHET will call the shots )

Boris said two weeks ago that he was all about "data not dates"
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56095552

So I wouldn't be deferring to the UK for anything to support my position if I was you. Waste of time listening to them. They'll tell you something completely different tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement