Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

Tazz T wrote: »
    I'm going to read a newspaper on a bench tomorrow and see if I break the law

Ok
    Read the legislation while you're there sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Just did. Exercise is quite a broad term and can be applied to exercising your brain too. Nothing in the legislation to stop me buying a takeaway pint within 5k, or lying in the park and exercising my freedom to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

People should not be heading abroad at the moment.

If you must attend a business meeting , assist an ailing relative or attend a medical appointment you may travel, just bring some papers to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Crossing the border can be fined as an non essential journey. Amount €100. Fine for going to dublin airport €2000 with onward travel.[/

Evidence to back up the €2,000 fine. To the best of my knowledge and according to Citizens Information website it is a €500 fine for airport travel for non essential reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭dan786

€500 is the fine for non essential travel. The €2000 has not been brought in yet. By the time it comes in and the hotel quarantine gets going we will be in Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Crossing the border can be fined as an non essential journey. Amount €100. Fine for going to dublin airport €2000 with onward travel.[/

Evidence to back up the €2,000 fine. To the best of my knowledge and according to Citizens Information website it is a €500 fine for airport travel for non essential reason.

My mistake the way it was reported it seemed to have passed.https://www.independent.ie/news/fines-for-non-essential-travel-abroad-to-increase-to-2000-40075139.html
    Anyway I have no plans to travel from Dublin airport this year. I expect country wide travel by the Summer and I have family in Derry and Belfast .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

My mistake the way it was reported it seemed to have passed.https://www.independent.ie/news/fines-for-non-essential-travel-abroad-to-increase-to-2000-40075139.html
    Anyway I have no plans to travel from Dublin airport this year. I expect country wide travel by the Summer and I have family in Derry and Belfast .

I fancy a 4 week trip to Belfast.

As do I. They'll probably be joining me on EZY6787 to Corfu from Belfast on 4th July. Unfortunately I suspect those bound for Dublin airport will still be subject to 2k fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Belgium, which had one of the strictest positions on travel in the continental EU in recent months, announced today it is dropping its ban on non-essential foreign travel on 18 April.

The 5k rule does not apply to exercise only. I can travel up to 5km from my home and be a lazy bastard. Once it's gone you can travel wherever you want except Dublin airport to travel abroad for non-essential reasons. Once it's gone I can cross the border. What I do on the other side of the border is controlled by UK law.

Clear?
    Just did. Exercise is quite a broad term and can be applied to exercising your brain too. Nothing in the legislation to stop me buying a takeaway pint within 5k, or lying in the park and exercising my freedom to sleep.

You could not be more clueless on this issue. You really couldn't. Please, for your own sake stop typing.

For starters, not a judge in the land will buy your bull**** and that's exactly what it is.

Secondly, traveling across the border for the purpose of engaging in non essential air travel WILL BE SUBJECT TO THE NON ESSENTIAL FINE just as you are now.

YOUR claim, yours not mine or anyone else's, was that once the 5km limit for exercise (which you insisted applied in other scenarios which you never explained) is gone, you can then drive to belfast airport to catch a non essential flight.

What part of "non essential journey" is tripping you up here? Is it the part that has absolutely no distance included? Is that it?
    Crossing the border can be fined as an non essential journey. Amount €100. Fine for going to dublin airport €2000 with onward travel.

Jesus h Christ. Again, clueless.

The legislation is 500 euro fine for traveling to an airport or port for the purpose of engaging in travel.

• Advertisement

You could not be more clueless on this issue. You really couldn't. Please, for your own sake stop typing.

For starters, not a judge in the land will buy your bull**** and that's exactly what it is.

Secondly, traveling across the border for the purpose of engaging in non essential air travel WILL BE SUBJECT TO THE NON ESSENTIAL FINE just as you are now.

YOUR claim, yours not mine or anyone else's, was that once the 5km limit for exercise (which you insisted applied in other scenarios which you never explained) is gone, you can then drive to belfast airport to catch a non essential flight.

What part of "non essential journey" is tripping you up here? Is it the part that has absolutely no distance included? Is that it?

The legislation is 500 euro fine for traveling to an airport or port for the purpose of engaging in travel.

You should calm down, you seem to be very agitated.
    I have family in both Derry and Belfast. I fully expect country wide travel during the Summer. I have already had reasons to visit Belfast this year no issue at the 2 checkpoints I encountered. The checkpoints aren't as strict as some would like to imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Wallander wrote: »
    Belgium, which had one of the strictest positions on travel in the continental EU in recent months, announced today it is dropping its ban on non-essential foreign travel on 18 April.

Source please?

Seriously. Give over. None of this applies when the 5 km rule goes. The 5 km rule applies to non-essential travel. Look it up.

Seriously. Give over. None of this applies when the 5 km rule goes. The 5 km rule applies to non-essential travel. Look it up.

You look it up.
    There is no 'non essential travel' if you're going to argue about the law, the least you can do is actually know the law.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Source please?

Im not sure how solid that date is the OP quoted but here's a timeline. Seems the ban might be replaced with other strict measures

https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/158470/coronavirus-measures-consultative-committee-belgium-alexander-de-croo-schools-summer-hospitality-pers-conferentie-funerals-easter-holidays/

You should calm down, you seem to be very agitated.
    I have family in both Derry and Belfast. I fully expect country wide travel during the Summer. I have already had reasons to visit Belfast this year no issue at the 2 checkpoints I encountered. The checkpoints aren't as strict as some would like to imagine.

And what does any on that have to do with the 5km exercise limit?

bubblypop wrote: »
    You look it up.
    There is no 'non essential travel' if you're going to argue about the law, the least you can do is actually know the law.

Careful now. Highlighting his lack of knowledge on the subject is a card

Jesus wept, are you serious or just trolling? You try looking it up ffs!

You have been corrected on this issue numerous times. You are completely wrong and / or incapable of reading the actual legislation in place. There is no non essential travel allowed at all. Essential travel had no distance limit. Only exercise has a limit and that is 5km.

I'm not sure how else to explain this to you without getting another card

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Just went through Dubai airport, it was very quiet and we didn’t queue anywhere. Most of the duty free stores were open as were the restaurants and bars. Now find myself sitting in the first row of a Boeing 787.

Cabin crew all have gowns and face masks. We were given sanitation kits on boarding.

You have been corrected on this issue numerous times. You are completely wrong and / or incapable of reading the actual legislation in place. There is no non essential travel allowed at all. Essential travel had no distance limit. Only exercise has a limit and that is 5km.

I have not been corrected, since you have provided no evidence. You, however, seem to have been corrected if you have been carded (nothing to do with me BTW).

I won't engage with you and your rantings any further. As for your accusations of trolling, I've spent half my life working as a health journalist/copywriter and believe I can make a positive contribution to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

faceman wrote: »
    Im not sure how solid that date is the OP quoted but here's a timeline. Seems the ban might be replaced with other strict measures

https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/158470/coronavirus-measures-consultative-committee-belgium-alexander-de-croo-schools-summer-hospitality-pers-conferentie-funerals-easter-holidays/[/QU

It all seems a lot more civilised and reasonable than here. And Belgium is a country which has also been badly hit by Covid, is only about the size of Munster, with a huge population and strong population density. And located right in the centre of Europe, it borders several other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Careful now. Highlighting his lack of knowledge on the subject is a card

Mod

You obviously are unable to rein in your emotions posting despite the acknowledgement of receiving a card.

Don't post in this thread again.

I have not been corrected, since you have provided no evidence. You, however, seem to have been corrected if you have been carded (nothing to do with me BTW).

I won't engage with you and your rantings any further. As for your accusations of trolling, I've spent half my life working as a health journalist/copywriter and believe I can make a positive contribution to this thread.

The very first hit on Google:

"People are required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home." (https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#travel-restrictions)

Or you could read one of the 14 SI that have been released this year regarding Covid19. They are all available online but for ease, its SI 29/2021 which states and I quote:

Section 4; "an applicable person shall not leave his or her place of residence without reasonable excuse"

and Section 4 (1) "Without prejudice to the generality of Regulation 4, and subject to paragraph (2), an applicable person shall not leave his or her place of residence to go to an airport or port for the purpose of leaving the State without reasonable excuse."

So please do explain, having read all of this, how the 5km limit on exercise applies to attending an airport. Im all ears

You have damaged your own reputation by claiming to be a health journalist but cant even do a quick google search!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

For arrivals into Ireland from non-category 2 countries, how does it work for taking a PCR test on the 5th day after your arrival and end your quarantine if you are negative.

Can this be done via your GP for free or does it have to be done via a private company?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I have tentatively penciled in a trip home (first one in almost a year and a half) by this August. I live in Vancouver, had hoped to be home way before that but I am really praying to all the gods that I get home, and that Ireland is in good shape by then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

For arrivals into Ireland from non-category 2 countries, how does it work for taking a PCR test on the 5th day after your arrival and end your quarantine if you are negative.

Can this be done via your GP for free or does it have to be done via a private company?

You’re supposed to do it privately but it’s not mandatory. Just keep a record of the result regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The checkpoints aren't as strict as some would like to imagine.

Yeah i have to agree there. My partner lives 10km from me and i’ve gone through a couple of checkpoints in her village, get the usual “ purpose of your journey?” I say visiting my partner, “ no problem go ahead”.

However she lives on her own so would come under the support bubble even though i wasn’t asked about it at the checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

[QUOTE=Plumbthedepths;116493304]You should calm down, you seem to be very agitated.
    I have family in both Derry and Belfast. I fully expect country wide travel during the Summer. I have already had reasons to visit Belfast this year no issue at the 2 checkpoints I encountered. The checkpoints aren't as strict as some would like to imagine.[/QUOTE]

Thats good coming from you, if meomry serves me you were delighted when a friend of your son gave out to an auld lad. Apparently he gave out because he thought he was buying cans for a party. Anyway I digress, seriously calm down yourself, we get you broke guidelines and are nor worried. But some people are keeping to the rules for the sake of others, you know not being a selfish cnut like some and their family

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Thats good coming from you, if meomry serves me you were delighted when a friend of your son gave out to an auld lad. Apparently he gave out because he thought he was buying cans for a party. Anyway I digress, seriously calm down yourself, we get you broke guidelines and are nor worried. But some people are keeping to the rules for the sake of others, you know not being a selfish cnut like some and their family
    Nah your memory is wrong but it's ok I don't edit my post history its still available feel free to read what I actually said.
    Btw no guidelines broken , travel all within essential guide lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

How dare our foreign minister go for a jolly over to Tehran!!

One rule for the elite and another for the peasants. A disgrace!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement