Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

josip wrote: »
    Many EU countries at the moment allow fine-free non-essential travel with a negative PCR test.
    Or do you only mean travel from Ireland?
    In which case my guess would be early May, but maybe not every EU country.

Sorry, yes I meant fine-free non-essential travel from Ireland to another EU Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Sorry, yes I meant fine-free non-essential travel from Ireland to another EU Country.

This legislation expires automatically on 7 June. I'd say it's a good bet it'll be possible from around that date. It will be advised against but there will be no fines.

This legislation expires automatically on 7 June. I'd say it's a good bet it'll be possible from around that date. It will be advised against but there will be no fines.

Oh, I didn't realise that it expired June 7th. Thank you!

There will also be a sunset clause, sources said, which may assuage some concerns held by Civil Liberties groups. The legislation will automatically expire after three months unless renewed by the Oireachtas. The bill also provides for individuals to leave the hotel after 10 days rather than 14, if they have a negative Covid test taken on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Just to clarify you are saying the €500 fine for non - essential travel to the airport expires on June 7th?

If so this will be a real litmus test of where NPHET and the government stand on foreign outbound travel out of Ireland. Choose to extend that fine and they are still serious about locking us here but if they choose to let it expire they might aswell abolish the non essential guidance while they are at it because people will be out of here.

Of course just book a dental appointment and you are free of any of this worry.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify you are saying the €500 fine for non - essential travel to the airport expires on June 7th?

If so this will be a real litmus test of where NPHET and the government stand on foreign outbound travel out of Ireland. Choose to extend that fine and they are still serious about locking us here but if they choose to let it expire they might aswell abolish the non essential guidance while they are at it because people will be out of here.

Of course just book a dental appointment and you are free of any of this worry.

Nah, the mandatory quarantine expires 7 June.

I'm not sure of the fines, this is tied to the 5km no?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Nah, the mandatory quarantine expires 7 June.

I'm not sure of the fines, this is tied to the 5km no?

just in time to let a load of Americans back in to spend a few quid and give us 3 new strains then leave just before the new rules come in to force.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

just in time to let a load of Americans back in to spend a few quid and give us 3 new strains then leave just before the new rules come in to force.

more of them (% wise) will be vaccinated by then than in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Chances are they’ll be vaccinated by then. You do realise a new strain can emerge anywhere, even in Ireland one could pop up.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Chances are they’ll be vaccinated by then. You do realise a new strain can emerge anywhere, even in Ireland one could pop up.

Rathkeale would be my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Maybe what we need in Ireland is to have one county which can be a zero Covid zone. Seal the borders. Applying quarantining. Bring food and supplies in via a demilitarised zone. Preferably RTÉ can base themselves there. They can have daily press briefings and talk all they want about variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yea for example Austria is on the list, which is just bizarre, they had an issue with a variant in Tyrol around a month ago but their case level has been comparable to Ireland.

Like what are the measures for picking once country out over another? It seems very arbitrary and picking on Austria is bonkers.

As regards the legislation, there is a sunset clause of 3 months, which i guess is from today as it has been signed by the President, so it will expire on 7 June unless it is renewed.

Not Ireland specific but Austria has experienced significant problems with the spread of the South African variant which is still ongoing afaik.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/03/05/scientists-study-mass-vaccination-in-austrian-district-hit-hard-by-south-african-covid-var

This legislation was presumably extended http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/si/29/made/en/pdf

gozunda wrote: »
    Not Ireland specific but Austria has experienced significant problems with the spread of the South African variant which is still ongoing afaik.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/03/05/scientists-study-mass-vaccination-in-austrian-district-hit-hard-by-south-african-covid-var

Maybe it would be better to limit to the area in question as the Austrians do themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

The quarantine legislation cannot be extended by that SI.

The quarantine legislation cannot be extended by that SI.

That’s not the quarantine legislation. That’s the non essential foreign travel legislation I think. Saw the sunset was 5 March and was wondering whether it was extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Maybe it would be better to limit to the area in question as the Austrians do themselves?

I don't know - I'm not a pandemic expert- simply answering the previous posters query. At present Austria is on a number of countries - no fly lists including the UKs. Interstingly the UK is on Austria no fly list as well!

Afaik we've a similar list to the UK due to our CTA and to stop bright sparks using airports here to dodge UK restrictions etc.

As for Austria itself. Let me see at present - if you are living there you can go the shop, the zoo, go skiing if you're a local and get a haircut as long as you have a negative COVID-19 test. That's more or less about it I'm afraid ...
    At the moment, a lockdown is in effect in Austria. Tourism and leisure travel are not possible.

The following measures are currently in effect:

Hotels are closed to leisure travellers/tourists.

Restaurants and bars can only offer takeout/delivery services.

Dining in is not permitted.

FFP2 masks are required when picking up food.

A landing ban for flights from the UK, South Africa, and Brazil is in effect.

Entry regulations are in effect, including special rules for the province of Tirol.

Shops, museums, libraries, and zoos are open.

All shoppers and visitors must wear FFP2 masks.

All other culture and leisure facilities such as theatres, cinemas, gyms, pools, and amusement parks are closed.

Events such as concerts, plays etc. are cancelled.

Hairdressers and similar service providers have been allowed to reopen; negative COVID-19 tests are required for customers.

Cable cars and ski areas have been allowed to reopen.

De facto, skiing is only possible for locals.

Hotels and restaurants are however still closed and entry regulations (quarantine requirement - see below) are in effect.

A stay-at-home order is in effect from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.

You are required to keep a minimum distance of 2 m (6.5 ft) to people from other households.

FFP2 masks are required on public transport and in other public spaces.[/b]

https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

All Americans will be vaccinated by May. Fully vaccinated Americans already have some of their pre covid rights and privileges returned as of yesterday. Less than 1,000 Americans died from covid yesterday.

America is no longer a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

faceman wrote: »
    All Americans will be vaccinated by May. Fully vaccinated Americans already have some of their pre covid rights and privileges returned as of yesterday. Less than 1,000 Americans died from covid yesterday.

America is no longer a problem.

Where did you get that date? This says that 90% of the US population should receive the first dose by September, not May. The number of fully vaccinated will be less than that. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Where did you get that date? This says that 90% of the US population should receive the first dose by September, not May. The number of fully vaccinated will be less than that. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/02/white-house-moves-up-vaccine-supply-timeline-says-us-will-have-enough-for-every-adult-by-end-of-may.html

• Advertisement

It really depends on where you are going, and if you are transiting through any country on the way. If you are over 65 you might have a chance of getting a vaccine passport this year. The travel restrictions will likely last until the vaccination programmes are completed, and as Ireland is actually in the top EU countries for vaccinations per capita, September is probably the earliest that travel will pick up, unless the rollout goes ahead faster than expected.

That is very positive news, but I'll believe it when I see it. I know two people who are 80+ in the US who still haven't been able to get a vaccine. Splitting the difference would probably give a more reasonable date after the positive spin is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Just seen on the independent that there will be no exemptions for the fully vaccinated travelling from a country on the quarantine hotel list:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/cabinet-expected-to-secure-quarantine-hotel-owners-from-any-covid-19-legal-cases-40176070.html

Now I'm no expert, but wouldn't resources better be spent at this time on speeding up vaccinations here rather than locking up the vaccinated?

Wallander wrote: »
    Just seen on the independent that there will be no exemptions for the fully vaccinated travelling from a country on the quarantine hotel list:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/cabinet-expected-to-secure-quarantine-hotel-owners-from-any-covid-19-legal-cases-40176070.html

Now I'm no expert, but wouldn't resources better be spent at this time on speeding up vaccinations here rather than locking up the vaccinated?

Ridiculous

That’s not the quarantine legislation. That’s the non essential foreign travel legislation I think. Saw the sunset was 5 March and was wondering whether it was extended.

So does that mean that the €500 fine expired on March 5th?

I am a bit confused by the regulations.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that when the President signed the Quarantine Legislation last week that that put the €2,000 fine into law.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Ridiculous

Insanity alright. But did we really expect anything different? I see NPHET are already downplaying the CDC news from yesterday. Laughable if it wasn’t so serious.

It’s sickening that we are almost proud to say ‘we have the strictest quarantine in Europe’. At the same time we have NPHET calling for more investment whilst throttling international inbound tourism and its associated revenues.

Dr. Em wrote: »
    It really depends on where you are going, and if you are transiting through any country on the way. If you are over 65 you might have a chance of getting a vaccine passport this year. The travel restrictions will likely last until the vaccination programmes are completed, and as Ireland is actually in the top EU countries for vaccinations per capita, September is probably the earliest that travel will pick up, unless the rollout goes ahead faster than expected.

Yes, specifically I mean fine-free non-essential travel from Ireland to another EU Country without transitting eg France, Italy, Greece for a family with kids (Adults 40s, Kids 12+).
    To my mind that will be earliest 2022 but just wondering at other people's thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yes, specifically I mean fine-free non-essential travel from Ireland to another EU Country without transitting eg France, Italy, Greece for a family with kids (Adults 40s, Kids 12+).
    To my mind that will be earliest 2022 but just wondering at other people's thoughts.

The straight answer is no one knows. The government is not giving people any information regarding travelling in this country during the summer let alone aboard. I expect those determined to go away this year will find an essential reason to cross the border and go on one of the Sun bound Ryanair flights.

• Advertisement

I am a bit confused by the regulations.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that when the President signed the Quarantine Legislation last week that that put the €2,000 fine into law.

According to the Citizen's Information website it is still €500

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement