Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

The straight answer is no one knows. The government is not giving people any information regarding travelling in this country during the summer let alone aboard. I expect those determined to go away this year will find an essential reason to cross the border and go on one of the Sun bound Ryanair flights.

Thanks. No interest in trying to circumvent restrictions. Just trying to have realistic expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Insanity alright. But did we really expect anything different? I see NPHET are already downplaying the CDC news from yesterday. Laughable if it wasn’t so serious.

It’s sickening that we are almost proud to say ‘we have the strictest quarantine in Europe’. At the same time we have NPHET calling for more investment whilst throttling international inbound tourism and its associated revenues.

Dying to see what they're going to do with the 55 million coming from the EC to fund tourism initiatives. Subsidise Staycations (if they're allowed)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

It'll be very interesting to hear how people from here on in and in particular from June on. will get on at the airport with their emails from dentists in Spain.

The law clearly states that a dental appointment is an essential reason to travel and you can bring a person who resides with you. However would the guards be as obliging to let you through security at the airport if they stopped you there?

I'm sure if they tried to stop you and administer the fine and you argued you had the appointment and showed them the email or whatever to prove it the whole situation would just deteriorate into a farce and the guard would come out on top?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

It'll be very interesting to hear how people from here on in and in particular from June on. will get on at the airport with their emails from dentists in Spain.

The law clearly states that a dental appointment is an essential reason to travel and you can bring a person who resides with you. However would the guards be as obliging to let you through security at the airport if they stopped you there?

I'm sure if they tried to stop you and administer the fine and you argued you had the appointment and showed them the email or whatever to prove it the whole situation would just deteriorate into a farce and the guard would come out on top?

If dentistry is on the list and you travel and have dentistry work done while there then no, the Guard won't come out on top. Their function is to enforce the laws, not bend them, and to be fair to those on the ground, I have never found any wish to bend legislation. The commissioner can be given a platform to state otherwise on every chat show in the country but it doesn't alter the fact that it is not up to him to decide whether or not dentistry is a reason for essential travel.

You're absolutely correct on one thing though. The whole thing will descend into farce if/when unpaid fines clog up the courts. An utterly ludicrous situation to still be in a year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Greeks targeting 14 May.
    Country to welcome people who are vaccinated, have antibodies or negative Covid test, minister says

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/09/greece-hopes-to-open-to-tourists-from-14-may

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭The Davestator

According to the Citizen's Information website it is still €500

It was changed to 2k on Sunday as part of the hotel quarantine legislation. I read it somewhere, but its not on citizens advice yet. Hopefully I misread

It was changed to 2k on Sunday as part of the hotel quarantine legislation. I read it somewhere, but its not on citizens advice yet. Hopefully I misread

I read that too but can't find it now. Thought it was IT but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

It seems to be here https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2021/23/eng/ver_a/b23a21d.pdf

If this is extended.......

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DubLad69

Ive read through that, and the only €2000 fine that I can find is in relation to failure to quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

DubLad69 wrote: »
    Ive read through that, and the only €2000 fine that I can find is in relation to failure to quarantine.

What's the cost of quarantining for the quarantinee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

josip wrote: »
    What's the cost of quarantining for the quarantinee?
    €2000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

DubLad69 wrote: »

I think you might be mistaken.

Page 6, point number 5 - Amendment of section 31 C of 1947 Health Act substitutes €2,000 for €500.

This is in reference to the fine for non essential travel to the airport unfortunately AFAIK.

When is the sunset clause on this does anyone know?

Can answer my own question I think. June 9th (ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will it get to the stage that people will say '**** it i'll just pay the fine' and then swan off to spain, greece etc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will it get to the stage that people will say '**** it i'll just pay the fine' and then swan off to spain, greece etc

I certainly hope so. Particularly when the rest of the EU is enjoying some semblance of normality and we're still being blamed for all the mortality if we dare to step 5.01km from our houses

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I certainly hope so. Particularly when the rest of the EU is enjoying some semblance of normality and we're still being blamed for all the mortality if we dare to step 5.01km from our houses

Personally love to do it but can't afford a €2000 fine, even the €500 is a bit steep for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I think it will get to the stage that business and the EU commission will bring the State to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

faceman wrote: »
    Ridiculous

Most likely related to the fact that some could be carriers. Afaik the jury is still out on that. Do we take a chance or do we try and dissuade people from coming from High risk areas?

I see in Spain that under the latest directive, travelers from the UK, South Africa, and Brazil remain barred from entry through at least March 30. And that Spains border with Portugal remains closed.

Spain is also now rolling out quarantine requirement for high risk countries
    NEW: In compliance with Order SND/181/2021, as of 8 March, persons coming from the Federative Republic of Brazil, the Republic of South Africa, Republic of Botswana, Union of Comoros, Republic of Ghana, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Mozambique, United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of Zambia, Republic of Zimbabwe, Republic of Peru and Republic of Colombia, must remain in quarantine for 10 days after their arrival in Spain, or for the duration of their stay if it is shorter than that. This period may end earlier, if on the seventh day the person is tested for acute infection with negative results.

https://www.mscbs.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/spth.htm

Do you know how Spain is going to police that order and if they will let in people from those countries with vaccinations and not require quarantine?

I think it will get to the stage that business and the EU commission will bring the State to court.

Once Ireland cannot justify being in a ‘health emergency’ as case numbers are so low, the restrictions for sure will be challenged by the EU

Personally love to do it but can't afford a €2000 fine, even the €500 is a bit steep for me

Yeah, we would be in the same boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Once Ireland cannot justify being in a ‘health emergency’ as case numbers are so low, the restrictions for sure will be challenged by the EU

'Low' according to the traffic light system is a 14-day average of less than 25 cases per 100k and a positivity rate of less than 4%. We still have a long way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Dr. Em wrote: »
    'Low' according to the traffic light system is a 14-day average of less than 25 cases per 100k and a positivity rate of less than 4%. We still have a long way to go.

The positivity rate is there or there about so one part of the jigsaw done!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

Dr. Em wrote: »

What was the last country in the world to achieve this ?

The positivity rate is there or there about so one part of the jigsaw done!

It is beautiful to watch the numbers dropping. All fingers and toes are crossed that they keep on going down. The vaccines are working so much better than expected in keeping hospital infections down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

But in reality all you need to do is book a dentist appointment in your destination and print out the email confirmation? I know this is morally wrong etc etc but I imagine plenty are still doing it, it’s listed as a valid reason to travel?

The traffic-light system only relates to EU/EEA. Iceland and parts of Norway are green right now. Part of Italy and most of Finland were green not too long ago, but it is starting to look like another wave is starting in a lot of Europe, even as Ireland's numbers go down. Portugal, Croatia and Denmark have decreasing cases, and there are probably some others, I've missed. Here is the current traffic-light map:
    https://reopen.europa.eu/en
    And the weekly data per 100k: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    But in reality all you need to do is book a dentist appointment in your destination and print out the email confirmation? I know this is morally wrong etc etc but I imagine plenty are still doing it, it’s listed as a valid reason to travel?

If you are not coming from a green country on the traffic light system, you still have to be tested and quarantine in line with national restrictions in the destination country, unless the county is entirely banning non-essential inward travel, or going to the other extreme and having no restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Iceland is Green.

Iceland is there. Gibraltar should be there also, but it's not included on the EU list for some reason (might be subsumed into Spain).

There are a few regions on the list too. I think the Azores and Sardinia might be there.

Interestingly, Cork and Kerry defined as a single region on the EU traffic light system isn't looking far off at the moment.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Tazz T wrote: »
    Iceland is there. Gibraltar should be there also, but it's not included on the EU list for some reason (might be subsumed into Spain).
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Perhaps it's in with the UK

• Advertisement

Perhaps it's in with the UK

Might be.

I was actually wondering if Palestinian figures are lumped in with Israeli figures, as that would skew data there. The Palestinian hospitals are overrun at the moment and access to vaccines has been problematic at best compared to Israel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement