Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

All time high of cases today in Malta and this past weekend in general really.

Still no lockdown thankfully, not even a single statement from the government since the ATH breaches, although restaurants are closed for a month now since Friday.

World still turning and hopefully the PM doesn't buckle under the pressure and keeps things as they are (open), as the vaccine is rolled out starts to reopen the pubs and restaurants. Vaccine admin going fast, or as fast as EU deliveries allow.

Only concern is the traffic light system, they're gonna want those tourist dollars so might bring in some actual restrictions yet.

^ Literally as I posted that it came on that most non-essential stuff is closing til 11th April, lol.. bollox !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

^ Literally as I posted that it came on that most non-essential stuff closing til 11th April, lol.. bollox !

I reckon many European countries will be going for increased measures from now until mid or late April in expectation they will open up pretty much totally from mid May onwards

I reckon many European countries will be going for increased measures from now until mid or late April in expectation they will open up pretty much totally from mid May onwards

That's my hunch aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    But in reality all you need to do is book a dentist appointment in your destination and print out the email confirmation? I know this is morally wrong etc etc but I imagine plenty are still doing it, it’s listed as a valid reason to travel?

Exactly what I’m doing for my holidays in late June. Have the email from dentist got already and I do plan to go to the appointment. 2 birds with the one stone.

• Advertisement

Which RTÉ will promote as Europe closes down for Summer!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

So with the LVL 5 now basically confirmed until May 28th. The only restrictions likely to be lifted are the 5K, construction and the U8's soccer training. This would imply that at best we will be allowed travel within our own county. May 28th is now the earliest for intra county travel just in time for staycation season or sun flights via Belfast to avoid a fine. Realistically can anyone see how they will relax travel bans abroad until after the peak summer season

a clanger wrote: »
    So with the LVL 5 now basically confirmed until May 28th. The only restrictions likely to be lifted are the 5K, construction and the U8's soccer training. This would imply that at best we will be allowed travel within our own county. May 28th is now the earliest for intra county travel just in time for staycation season or sun flights via Belfast to avoid a fine. Realistically can anyone see how they will relax travel bans abroad until after the peak summer season

Not a prayer. Probably wont get intra county travel until July. My prediction is
    Apr 5th to May 23rd - 10k
    May 24th to July 4th - own county
    July 5th - intra county

6 week blocks for each.

Shameful what NPHET and the government are doing.

Apr 5th to May 23rd - 10k
    May 24th to July 4th - own county
    July 5th - intra counyy

6 week blocks for each.

Shameful what NPHET and the government are doing.

I think this is probably on the money and we should now accuse you of leaking the plan ...hang on there isn't one !
    With Greece/Cyprus and Malta opening up for vaccinated/PCR tourists and probably Spain come the summer it will be interesting what the mood is here when we are probably the only outlier with regards to travel. After the longest lockdown in Europe and general frustration at the spin/ineptitude of the current govt What will be the trigger for the country to say enough. My guess is the sight of vaccinated over 70's filling the airports in July might cause a fuss
    Flights to Spain for July/Aug etc haven't changed price since Xmas so i guess most people are happy to let the govt inhibit travel until 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I think this is probably on the money and we should now accuse you of leaking the plan ...hang on there isn't one !
    With Greece/Cyprus and Malta opening up for vaccinated/PCR tourists and probably Spain come the summer it will be interesting what the mood is here when we are probably the only outlier with regards to travel. After the longest lockdown in Europe and general frustration at the spin/ineptitude of the current govt What will be the trigger for the country to say enough. My guess is the sight of vaccinated over 70's filling the airports in July might cause a fuss
    Flights to Spain for July/Aug etc haven't changed price since Xmas so i guess most people are happy to let the govt inhibit travel until 2022

Come June and countries greenlisting everywhere, the government will have to make a move or face trouble from the EU who have probably pre-empted that Ireland will try to stop free movement. Beyond that, if they government fail to take us out of Level 5 and county wide travel restrictions in May, you would have to think there will be zero support at any level in society as we watch the rest of Europe enjoying 'normality'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

went through to my flight missed garda check point outside terminal due to returning hire car and no garda at priorty boarding ha ha go ring JD smucks
    really am returning home so it is essential feel sorry for the state of goverence in ireland wait till ye have to pay it will be bend over again as so many times taking the full length now same b4 where I am going but fully open and deal with living through covid a lot better
    RA advertising on US newspapers heading for power exploting the govt rep not there for paddys day BANANA REPUBLIC think ulster says no to military council running de 32

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DubLad69

agoodpunt wrote: »
    went through to my flight missed garda check point outside terminal due to returning hire car and no garda at priorty boarding

By priority boarding, do you mean priority security? Or priority boarding on the actual plane/airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

agoodpunt wrote: »
    went through to my flight missed garda check point outside terminal due to returning hire car and no garda at priorty boarding ha ha go ring JD smucks
    really am returning home so it is essential feel sorry for the state of goverence in ireland wait till ye have to pay it will be bend over again as so many times taking the full length now same b4 where I am going but fully open and deal with living through covid a lot better
    RA advertising on US newspapers heading for power exploting the govt rep not there for paddys day BANANA REPUBLIC think ulster says no to military council running de 32

Farewell good punt and happy travels, we shall miss your eloquence and way with words, if not sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I can't imagine Ireland would be worse than Norway in regards to travel, they seem to be going for indefinite complete border closure.

The natives aren;t happy as they love the sun in the summer ...

I can't imagine Ireland would be worse than Norway in regards to travel, they seem to be going for indefinite complete border closure.

The natives aren;t happy as they love the sun in the summer ...

Looking at their regulations HERE They actually seem almost the same as Ireland essential travel /PCR/Red lists/Quarantine (already sorted~)

except they don't mention fining their own citizens for leaving !

Or stop processing passport applications/renewals !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Covid arrived in March 2020 (ish) and we were back with inter-country travel and most things open on 29th June.

If the re-opening is later than that this year, it really reflects very badly on this gov and NPHET.

(And I'm not entertaining the variant argument which has been drastically overstated.)

Latest ECDC Travel map.

https://twitter.com/ecdc_eu/status/1369999479290662916?s=21

Parts of Ireland gone to orange.

Canary Islands still at red with Level 3 restrictions in Lanzarote and La Garcia which means pubs and restaurants close at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

One more month until they open shops, hairdressers, gyms and outdoor hospitality in England on the 12th April.

Increasingly frustrated about the constant stream of negative news in Ireland. We are facing tough restrictions until late May or even June at this stage.

I'm remaining somewhat positive because I'm off to Mallorca on the 1st of July for the foreseeable future. But I really do feel sorry for many people who will remain stuck here for the rest of this year. I don't think I could do it.

I'm thinking about travelling to England in April to stay with a family member. Just to literally escape Ireland at this stage and live some sort of normal life. You don't even need a PCR test in the (Common Travel Area)

I'll just fly back to Belfast If I plan on returning to Ireland in May or June.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Valencia region announced further relaxation of restrictions next week as the 14 day rate per 100k people is now 57.

Interior of bars and restaurants can open with 30% capacity till 6pm. Full outdoor terraces now allowed up from 75%. Gyms reopen with capacity limits. Household visits still banned and no one in or out of region by car.

France have removed travel restrictions to/from certain countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56364290

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

josip wrote: »
    France have removed travel restrictions to/from certain countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56364290

why not ireland though - we hardy have a high rate

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    why not ireland though - we hardy have a high rate

countries outside the EU.

josip wrote: »
    countries outside the EU.

aww i see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Asked about the possibility of international travel - Mr Varadkar said it would depend on the data but added:

“It'll be long before we’re traveling overseas for non-essential reasons, we’ll have mandatory quarantine up and running. So, initially it is actually more restrictions not less on foreign travel anyway.

“I do think that there will be a domestic tourist season this summer like there was last summer.”

RobitTV wrote: »
    Asked about the possibility of international travel - Mr Varadkar said it would depend on the data but added:

“It'll be long before we’re traveling overseas for non-essential reasons, we’ll have mandatory quarantine up and running. So, initially it is actually more restrictions not less on foreign travel anyway.

“I do think that there will be a domestic tourist season this summer like there was last summer.”

Pretty much a slap in the face to any EU national in this country.

Does he forget Ireland is a member of the European Union or does he only mention this when it suits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

RobitTV wrote: »

So depressing absolutely ridiculous. More restrictions on travel. It’s beyond depressing actually.

Varadkar puts himself up as a the page boy for a Federal EU yet is touting longterm restrictions on freedom of movement between Ireland and the EU

Think he needs a talking to from the commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Varadkar puts himself up as a the page boy for a Federal EU yet is touting longterm restrictions on freedom of movement between Ireland and the EU

Think he needs a talking to from the commission.

I suspect he'll get it by July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Tazz T wrote: »
    I suspect he'll get it by July.

This bollox will be cheerleaded by a certain not insignificant proportion of the population who seem to want to ban travel or some weird idea. It’s beyond ridiculous coming out with this crap today further putting the foot and peoples throats. Horrible shower of pricks. Apologies for the bad language but I am sick **** sick of this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement