Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Luckily once the UK opens up to international travel Ireland's decisions will be meaningless. Belfast Airport in for a bumper summer if Irish government continue to be so intransient on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

RobitTV wrote: »
    Asked about the possibility of international travel - Mr Varadkar said it would depend on the data but added:

“It'll be long before we’re traveling overseas for non-essential reasons, we’ll have mandatory quarantine up and running. So, initially it is actually more restrictions not less on foreign travel anyway.

“I do think that there will be a domestic tourist season this summer like there was last summer.”

on the "how **** does that sound scale" that is a 100+

**** you varadkar I'll be traveling and of course I'll restrict on arriving back to the grimness of your dreary country

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

This bollox will be cheerleaded by a certain not insignificant proportion of the population who seem to want to ban travel or some weird idea. It’s beyond ridiculous coming out with this crap today further putting the foot and peoples throats. Horrible shower of pricks. Apologies for the bad language but I am sick **** sick of this.

I'm beginning to think that people actively encouraging or cheering for this extended lockdown, had dreadful dreary lives before it started and felt no difference and still don't while we are trapped by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

Pretty much a slap in the face to any EU national in this country.

Does he forget Ireland is a member of the European Union or does he only mention this when it suits him.

It's not really a problem for any EU national.
    Going home for any length of time to care for a relative is an acceptable reason to travel.
    This impacts more indigenous Irish I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

we’ll have mandatory quarantine up and running. So, initially it is actually more restrictions not less on foreign travel anyway.

Let's face it, testing and self quarantine is here for the summer. It's 2 tests and 5 days indoor. A pain in the arse I know, but do able. So yes, they have added more restrictions. The big game changer will be the death of the airport fine. So when will that go? The other issue facing many is the closed passport office. Irish citizens should have the same rights as people coming in from outside, and at present we don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Let's face it, testing and self quarantine is here for the summer. It's 2 tests and 5 days indoor. A pain in the arse I know, but do able. So yes, they have added more restrictions. The big game changer will be the death of the airport fine. So when will that go? The other issue facing many is the closed passport office. Irish citizens should have the same rights as people coming in from outside, and at present we don't.

So with a negative test they want to quarantine me indoors for 5 days over the summer???

So with a negative test they want to quarantine me indoors for 5 days over the summer???

Not just that Kanye, and with all the adults who want a vaccine vaccinated.
    Plus, they want to get re-elected next time around.

Small price to pay to get away, and lets face it, the entire population isn't going to be vaccinated. When they say 80% of people over 16, that's one shot only I'd imagine. Not saying that'll be the situation, and I want free travel as much as anyone else, I'm booked since January, but if that's the case I'd be happy enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Asked about the possibility of international travel - Mr Varadkar said it would depend on the data but added:

“It'll be long before we’re traveling overseas for non-essential reasons, we’ll have mandatory quarantine up and running. So, initially it is actually more restrictions not less on foreign travel anyway.

“I do think that there will be a domestic tourist season this summer like there was last summer.”

Reading between the lines here, is he suggesting the MHQ will be extended to EU countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Reading between the lines here, is he suggesting the MHQ will be extended to EU countries?

I think that's unlikely as they have already signed up to the EU traffic light system. There is also the fact that MHQ will be a rip roaring sucess to the same level as other Govt/HSE projects (Childrens hospital/waiting lists/track and trace/ Cervical cancer ) etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

faceman wrote: »

I see that Varadkar mention “depends on the data” so if the vaccines are successful maybe things could change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Only country in the world going backwards, more vaccines = more restrictions.

Couldn't make it up.

a clanger wrote: »
    I think that's unlikely as they have already signed up to the EU traffic light system. There is also the fact that MHQ will be a rip roaring sucess to the same level as other Govt/HSE projects (Childrens hospital/waiting lists/track and trace/ Cervical cancer ) etc etc etc

Yea it might prove to be a wise move to go into it as I suspect in 5 years time there will be considerable compensation payments to people who have been imprisoned against their will for no reason, particularly those arriving with negative PCR tests from EU nations

I reckon that just cannot be enforced. Im not going to trawl through EU legislation but Id be fairly certain it is against EU law.

An Irish person can fly to most EU countries with minimal checks, at most in my experience of travel in COVID times was a passport check.

Yet EU citizens arriving into Dublin will be bussed by our Defence Forces to a compound to be enforced on 14 days imprisonment?

HA

It's sick this is what Irish people want. Shame on the government. Shame on you Leo.

Only country in the world going backwards, more vaccines = more restrictions.

Couldn't make it up.

You really couldn't make it up. Any person or politician who dares question any moves by so called backward European countries in the next few years should be reminded what they did.

The Irish government have made the most outlandish attack on the freedom of movement and rule of law than any other EU nation by a long long way.

I hope the commission impose heavy penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

I hope the commission impose heavy penalties.

Like the VRT penalty 60k pa with 2b + return to the govt....

Sad for those who have to stay 35 people today on the abu dabi run maybe the airline will pull the plug

The lockdown is indemic among politicians and the badly managed HSE it secures grey vote and protects the other they are in this together the rest can feck off need 100k march but the left wont budge to support they too love the LD
    I wont be back 22/23 but the ecomony maybe in tatters the die is cast already the hardest lockdown probably waiting my second flight to freedom RIP ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

agoodpunt wrote: »
    Like the VRT penalty 60k pa with 2b + return to the govt....

Sad for those who have to stay 35 people today on the abu dabi run maybe the airline will pull the plug

The lockdown is indemic among politicians and the badly managed HSE it secures grey vote and protects the other they are in this together the rest can feck off need 100k march but the left wont budge to support they too love the LD
    I wont be back 22/23 but the ecomony maybe in tatters the die is cast already the hardest lockdown probably waiting my second flight to freedom RIP ireland
    please translate that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think perhaps Leo's comments aren't as strong as they sound, they are depressing no doubt, but as someone said earlier, a lot depends on the fine system. If his comments include the fines lasting all summer then that is utterly scandalous.

Corholio wrote: »
    I think perhaps Leo's comments aren't as strong as they sound, they are depressing no doubt, but as someone said earlier, a lot depends on the fine system. If his comments include the fines lasting all summer then that is utterly scandalous.

He's a chancer. He tries to play to different crowds on the same day.

One minute he supports the freedom of movement next minute he discovers the way the wind is blowing with the large cohort of pitch fork populists and decides to go with the populist agenda.

It will not be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

It's sick this is what Irish people want. Shame on the government. Shame on you Leo.

Don’t forget RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

faceman wrote: »

I think what he means by getting stricter is the hotel quarantine hasn't actually started yet but will be up and running by next week

• Advertisement

Don’t forget RTÉ

Yeah, the same RTE that would have an outraged reveal all Prime Time investigates into how Hungary and Poland don't allow immigrants to stay in their country and send them on. Xenophobia. The EU's shame.

Will never forget this action by our government.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

What disgusts me a lot in the last number of weeks is this talking of giving bonuses and today it was called rewards to people who take a vaccine. I am 100% behind taking a vaccine, but I am not a fukcing dog, to be treated with rewards if I follow and do what I'm told. I just find it so condescending

1,000 jobs last in the DAA.
    Hopefully there won't be any more before we're allowed to travel again.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0311/1203435-1-000-daa-staff-to-leave-dublin-and-cork-airports/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Irish Independent: ‘Good summer’ on the way – if we can stick with restrictions for another two to three months

People were last night promised a “good summer” – but warned they have to “pull back from the brink” and stick with Covid-19 restrictions for the next two to three months.

Cases of the virus have risen in recent days, sparking fresh alarm among public health officials.

Professor Philip Nolan told last night’s Covid-19 briefing that the increase could be the “beginning of something”.

If people “stick with it” over the next two to three months, there is the promise of a “good summer” and brighter days ahead, barring the unexpected.

Irish Independent

Irish Independent: ‘Good summer’ on the way – if we can stick with restrictions for another two to three months

:rolleyes: By good summer i think he means eating a €9 meal outside between showers before returning to over priced accommodation to look at the walls :p. I'd rather burn my money than do a staycation :pac:

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    :rolleyes: By good summer i think he means eating a €9 meal outside between showers before returning to over priced accommodation to look at the walls :p. I'd rather burn my money than do a staycation :pac:

It really is comical and depressing :pac: sadly many people are going to fall for this 'good summer' message.

Good summer meaning -

- Outdoor dining and drinking possible
    - Strict limits on bars
    - Small outdoor gatherings for a few of your friends or family
    - No live music
    - Travel restrictions
    - Staycations
    - Back to square one for the winter (despite the vaccine)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

If people “stick with it” over the next two to three months, there is the promise of a “good summer” and brighter days ahead

Lol, heard that one before.

Who the **** do they think they're fooling? Mail it to a year ago, you got me then.

Another two / three months before a decent haircut and beard trim is even possible.

I can no longer be seen outside in the daylight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm starting to feel really alarmed at this stage. We need to cross all fingers and toes, pray, for those of a praying bent, that Europe will come to our rescue re these tyrannical travel restrictions. The idea of being locked into this miserable place for the rest of the year and continued enforced separation from vital parts of my life abroad is enormously worrying for me personally. And I'm far from the only one feeling like this but there is zero perception of that from the zealots.

It's revving up to be a summer much worse than last year. I remember having an uneasy flash of intuition that if this thing didn't pass over quickly, god only knows how dreadful life in Ireland would get and how restrictive they'd make travel. A premonition that pretty much came true. Anyone who didn't get out last year must be really regretting it now. The begrudgery machine of scapegoating and shaming anyone even thinking of a trip abroad is already underway aided by the media propaganda which, don't doubt, will get into a frenzy approaching summer. Again we can only pray that they don't tighten the noose on these already harsh restrictions. At least the current restrictions, minus the crazy fine, are feasible, if expensive and hassle. But many of us can live with them and will live with them if they get us out.

I'm determined to get out of here mid June. Any later is getting too late for me regarding my job. I'm really afraid they'll still be manning airports then and imposing huge fines. Hence, why I'm banking on some intervention from powerful interest groups or the EU by then. Fingers very tightly crossed.

• Advertisement

It really is comical and depressing :pac: sadly many people are going to fall for this 'good summer' message.

Good summer meaning -

- Outdoor dining and drinking possible
    - Strict limits on bars
    - Small outdoor gatherings for a few of your friends or family
    - No live music
    - Travel restrictions
    - Staycations
    - Back to square one for the winter (despite the vaccine)

And Meghan Markle thought her life was depressing.....:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement