Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Paschal O Donoghue was on Newstalk this morning and spoke of the huge supports they are currently giving Aviation in Ireland, so this Government money is probably filling the gap and keeping them afloat.
    My friend has a son who is a captain with Aer Lingus. He has years of experience and training and was flying trans Atlantic mostly before Covid. At the moment he gets 1 flight every 3 weeks. His last flight was 18days ago, to Boston, with 11 passengers on board. I honestly cannot understand why there is not a lot of noise or protests about the decimation of this industry and many others? They couldn't be called "right wing" or anti-vax by Claire Byrne and RTE if they took to the streets in their uniform? Plus all the hotel workers, pub workers, beauticians, hair dressers? The public would stand behind them at this stage.

When POD says they are giving Aviation support he means the PUP, though they gave Aer Lingus a €150 million loan... it's like giving someone €1.50 to live on for a day when you're starving with hunger.

RTE will make it all seem fine...don't worry you'll get a new job...
    ''We'd be flying to the US and around Europe, but now I'm ploughing a field,'' Ciaran O'Regan says from the cab of a tractor in a field he has just ploughed in Ladysbridge, East Cork.He has been a pilot with Aer Lingus for the last five years, which he saw as a passion more than a job.

However, now he is working as a farming contractor

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0312/1203649-pandemic-career-change/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I've come across a few people travelling to Marbella lately on social media. One person travelled today from Dublin Airport and I would love to be that person.

I honestly think you could use a whole list of reasons and the Gardai will not fine you. The people who got fined probably started acting aggressive to the Gardai at the airport and started to cause a scene. Always the wrong thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Blut2

RobitTV wrote: »
    I've come across a few people travelling to Marbella lately on social media. One person travelled today from Dublin Airport and I would love to be that person.

I honestly think you could use a whole list of reasons and the Gardai will not fine you. The people who got fined probably started acting aggressive to the Gardai at the airport and started to cause a scene. Always the wrong thing to do.

You're allowed travel to visit a grave. All you have to do is say that and you're on your way - the Gardai can hardly disprove it. Its not like theres much evidence you can provide.

Or theres funerals, or weddings, or a medical appointment but they could in theory ask for evidence of any of those. But if you've any sort of evidence of any of them (real or fake) again the Gardai can't do much.

I'd agree that the only people getting fined are the ones getting thick with the Gardai. I don't know how else you'd manage it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I agree with the above. I don't understand it either, why no pushback at all from industry?

Paschal O Donoghue was on Newstalk this morning and spoke of the huge supports they are currently giving Aviation in Ireland, so this Government money is probably filling the gap and keeping them afloat. I'm still surprised Michael O Leary or his CEO hasn't come out in public about the bleakness of the future of Irish aviation, maybe its because it would cause the share price to collapse as they are trying to keep the positivity going??

My friend has a son who is a captain with Aer Lingus. He has years of experience and training and was flying trans Atlantic mostly before Covid. At the moment he gets 1 flight every 3 weeks. His last flight was 18days ago, to Boston, with 11 passengers on board. I honestly cannot understand why there is not a lot of noise or protests about the decimation of this industry and many others? They couldn't be called "right wing" or anti-vax by Claire Byrne and RTE if they took to the streets in their uniform? Plus all the hotel workers, pub workers, beauticians, hair dressers? The public would stand behind them at this stage.

It’s very simple. The Irish public has been brainwashed into fear and compliance. As conspiracy theorist as it sounds, look around Europe. It’s not mirrored. Mainstream media has lost its bite and complies with the government agenda. Even Newstalk, once a voice of public sway avoids hard hitting discussion. RTE is Fox News

A recent poll showed a majority percentage of Irish people were nervous to sole degree about high street shopping. Assuming that’s true, WTF? I personally doubt the veracity of the poll but it’s from a legit market survey company.

Ireland was manipulated in to crying out for MHQ. And now it’s in place. And it’s here to stay.

The voices in this thread screaming blue murder are sadly the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Blut2 wrote: »
    You're allowed travel to visit a grave. All you have to do is say that and you're on your way - the Gardai can hardly disprove it. Its not like theres much evidence you can provide.

Or theres funerals, or weddings, or a medical appointment but they could in theory ask for evidence of any of those. But if you've any sort of evidence of any of them (real or fake) again the Gardai can't do much.

I'd agree that the only people getting fined are the ones getting thick with the Gardai. I don't know how else you'd manage it.

Are foreign weddings an accepted reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Just to point out to all the naysayers on this thread.
    The majority of holidays taken by irish families have always been on the island of Ireland.
    For a lot of families, that is what a holiday is.

You mightn't agree with it, but that's the reality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Blut2

Are foreign weddings an accepted reason?

Yes. They're applying the same 5km regulations to travel abroad, not any unique ones specifically for foreign travel. So all of the same exceptions are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

The majority of holidays taken by irish families have always been on the island of Ireland.

Rubbish.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-irelands-favourite-holiday-destination-abroad-and-at-home-35707035.html

Of those, 68pc will holiday abroad and 15pc will opt for a “staycation”.

And 2019

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/arid-30927443.html

Of those, 63% are planning a holiday abroad with 14% planning a staycation here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

faceman wrote: »
    It’s very simple. The Irish public has been brainwashed into fear and compliance. As conspiracy theorist as it sounds, look around Europe. It’s not mirrored. Mainstream media has lost its bite and complies with the government agenda. Even Newstalk, once a voice of public sway avoids hard hitting discussion. RTE is Fox News

A recent poll showed a majority percentage of Irish people were nervous to sole degree about high street shopping. Assuming that’s true, WTF? I personally doubt the veracity of the poll but it’s from a legit market survey company.

Ireland was manipulated in to crying out for MHQ. And now it’s in place. And it’s here to stay.

The voices in this thread screaming blue murder are sadly the minority.

For the second time tonight Im gobsmacked. Dont get me wrong! I know both Faceman and Tenzor represent the type of people I believe in and to read such awful predictions from both fills me with dread. Years ago my public service union spiritedly took on the Govt. We lost but only because our own people caved in and betrayed us all. I really find it horrifying that the lack of resistence is because the propaganda is successful.That story about a pilot turning farmer is totally scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Ah here! How can anyone take you seriously if you believe this? Are you anti travel? Or is it just begrudgery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Think you might be living in the 1980's where your made up stats wouldn't have sounded so ridiculous.

Ah here! How can anyone take you seriously if you believe this? Are you anti travel? Or is it just begrudgery?

I usually go abroad once or twice every year. Sometimes more.
    Many families simply cannot afford a foreign trip. Or don't have the time to go due to work

I usually go abroad once or twice every year. Sometimes more.
    Many families simply cannot afford a foreign trip. Or don't have the time to go due to work

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

Anyone used the ferries lately? Usual garda checkpoints like at the airports?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

wifes been vaccinated as shes HSE staff (IT,go figure)

if we go away with kids in Summer after level 5 5KM bullsh1t has been lifted, what are we expected to do upon arriving home?

went away last August, was great but had to keep the kids out of crechefor 2 weeks when we got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Even in the UK, domestic travel can commence from the 12th of April. Then after that they can travel abroad from the middle of May.

The level of misinformation in this thread is quite astounding.

The UK gov will be meeting on the 12th of April to consider whether travel will recommence subject to the situation their meeting specific criteria viz.
    In implementing this plan we will be guided by data, not dates...

The decision on when ... travel can resume will be dependent on:

• the global and domestic epidemiological picture

• the prevalence and location of any ‘variants of concern’

• the progress of vaccine rollouts here and abroad

• what more the government has learned about the efficacy of vaccines on variants, and the impact on transmission, hospitalisation and deaths
    Step 2 - not before 12 April ...

accommodation such as campsites and holiday lets, where indoor facilities are not shared with other households, can also reopen.
    Hospitality venues will be allowed to serve people outdoors at Step 2 

Step 3 - not before 17 May

Other indoor locations to open up in Step 3 include indoor entertainment venues such as cinemas and children’s play areas; the rest of the accommodation sector, including hotels, hostels and B&Bs;

International travel - subject to review.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary

So no guarantees. For anyone thinking they will use Northern Ireland to dodge restrictions here - it may not be quite so straightforward...

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Just went through the airport at 5am, not a checkpoint on the road or in the airport. Have an essential reason to travel but sharing the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

gozunda wrote: »

The UK gov will be meeting on the 12th of April to consider whether travel will recommence subject to the situation their meeting specific criteria viz.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary

So no guarantees. For anyone thinking they will use Northern Ireland to dodge restrictions here - it may not be quite so straightforward...

There have been multiple reports from the U.K. and Europe about travel corridors being set up from the U.K.
    The worst thing about this is the Irish government destroying our connectivity to Europe while Northern Ireland and Belfast’s will thrive. Absolute madness.

Reading that article on the roadmap out of lockdown in the UK , the positive language is incredibly uplifting . No “if, we’ll see, maybe” ......no faffing and blustering........just clear, concise,positive communication. We need this kind of communication from our Government!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Even in the UK, domestic travel can commence from the 12th of April. Then after that they can travel abroad from the middle of May.

German tourists in Mallorca by Easter.

Meanwhile in Ireland, we can look forward to months of Level 5 restrictions and the continuation of the ban on non-essential travel. And the ban will likely still be in place during the summer.

I didn't realise that about britain. They really are doing well with their vaccination rollout..

• Advertisement

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I didn't realise that about britain. They really are doing well with their vaccination rollout..

It helps they are taking vaccines from other countries by paying far more for them

Look at this...

Irish Times: State no longer asks passengers if their travel is ‘essential’

The State has stopped collecting data on whether people are travelling into the State for an essential reason since early February, it has emerged, including seeking such information from those travelling from high-risk countries.

Replying to a parliamentary question from the Social Democrats TD, Róisín Shortall, the Department of Health said the passenger locator form was amended and “the declaration on essential travel [is] no longer recorded”.

Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

gozunda wrote: »

Gozunda's advice is also subject to review on the 12th April.

One thing this covid 19 thing has brought home to me is how just as soon as I can retire I will and I’ll be gone out of this country. I think despite the clapping the green jersey and the being in this together bs it’s really shown the country to be a begrudgingly conservative spineless weird place.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Yapamillias

Got to Turkey today via Dublin airport. Pretty smooth transit.

There were Garda check points outside the airport so I assume checking the cars dropping people off. They don't check the buses.

Once inside it was busier than I expected, much busier than Amsterdam when I was there. A lot of noses exposed by airport staff (usually males).. they should run a seminar on proper mask usage. The queue before security check is the Garda check point. 3-4 Garda asking for purpose of visit, if you live in Ireland etc. The Garda I spoke to was very very nice. I told him why I was going, how long I would be gone for. He gave me some good advice about the PCR test on the way back to make sure it is still valid since I will have a longer layover. Wished me safe travels and that was that. You could tell that they were grilling others trying to go through. The body language of a few people as they were talking was very telling. They obviously can't turn people back so I am unsure if anyone was fined before their travels.

What really made me confused is that in the airport at Mcdonalds the lady asked me was I dining in or was it takeway. I was taken aback and responded with 'take out' out of habit. You can eat the mcdonalds there or outside in the communal airport area. Theoretically you could take the bus to the airport, go to departures, walk up to McDonalds and eat like the pre Covid days and take the bus back to wherever. I just found it strange that the airport had this exemption.

While in Turkey I have been told that the curfew that they have is only for Turkish people. Tourists are not under this rule. Reminds me of Ireland whereby Irish people are told not to travel and yet everyone else can travel to Ireland freely. There is no quarantine over here. Masks are worn outdoors by 80%-90% of people I have seen so far and obviously worn indoors. Gyms open, eating inside, hairdresser, shops etc. They are living with Covid, even with increasing cases.

Edit* 4pm flight for clarity (Got there at 1pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

One thing this covid 19 thing has brought home to me is how just as soon as I can retire I will and I’ll be gone out of this country. I think despite the clapping the green jersey and the being in this together bs it’s really shown the country to be a begrudgingly conservative spineless weird place.

If this country doesn’t ease up on travel or freedoms post vaccinate ( because of the incase new variants are brought in narrative) i’m in a position to relocate to the USA where i have family because i’d never see them again via casual travel otherwise.

However, it might not seem like it right now but i do think as the vaccines do their magic restrictions including travel restrictions will dwindle away, especially to countries with equal vaccinations.

Got to Turkey today via Dublin airport. Pretty smooth transit.

There were Garda check points outside the airport so I assume checking the cars dropping people off. They don't check the buses.

Once inside it was busier than I expected, much busier than Amsterdam when I was there. A lot of noses exposed by airport staff (usually males).. they should run a seminar on proper mask usage. The queue before security check is the Garda check point. 3-4 Garda asking for purpose of visit, if you live in Ireland etc. The Garda I spoke to was very very nice. I told him why I was going, how long I would be gone for. He gave me some good advice about the PCR test on the way back to make sure it is still valid since I will have a longer layover. Wished me safe travels and that was that. You could tell that they were grilling others trying to go through. The body language of a few people as they were talking was very telling. They obviously can't turn people back so I am unsure if anyone was fined before their travels.

What really made me confused is that in the airport at Mcdonalds the lady asked me was I dining in or was it takeway. I was taken aback and responded with 'take out' out of habit. You can eat the mcdonalds there or outside in the communal airport area. Theoretically you could take the bus to the airport, go to departures, walk up to McDonalds and eat like the pre Covid days and take the bus back to wherever. I just found it strange that the airport had this exemption.

While in Turkey I have been told that the curfew that they have is only for Turkish people. Tourists are not under this rule. Reminds me of Ireland whereby Irish people are told not to travel and yet everyone else can travel to Ireland freely. There is no quarantine over here. Masks are worn outdoors by 80%-90% of people I have seen so far and obviously worn indoors. Gyms open, eating inside, hairdresser, shops etc. They are living with Covid, even with increasing cases.

Edit* 4pm flight for clarity (Got there at 1pm)

Thanks for this excellent information. I think some people honestly aren't capable of getting their story straight when they are being questioned by the Gardai. If you have good manners, answer every question directly and just speak normally then you should be fine. It amazes me some people are getting fined. What on earth are they doing to get a fine? - they must be acting with bad manners and acting rather aggressive towards the Gardai.

It's truly bizarre that some people aren't prepared for the questioning beforehand. They must be worried when they get to the checkpoint in the terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Let's be totally honest and blunt here about Summer 2021

NPHET and the government don't want foreign holidays this summer. There will be no easing of the non-essential travel advisory. The €2,000 fine will be extended over the Summer months. Ireland will not enter into travel corridors with other countries.

So what are the options:
    1) Vaccination/Negative Test Passports - Our government wont sign up to this for the Summer (if they have come on stream by the Summer)

2. Get yourself an essential reason to travel - Dental / Medical Appointment. I have done this but my email says an appointment for "dental cleaning" on it which has me concerned. (That is however what I booked, and a dental appointment is deemed essential by legislation)

3. Fly from Belfast - By July intra - county travel should be permitted (not a guarantee the way things are going with NPHET) so a trip to Belfast is totally allowed. Northern Ireland will have foreign travel permitted by that stage so that also would be restriction free. However I would presume a lot of people are using the flights they postponed from last year so this might not be feasible. Financially probably being the most obvious reason.

That's how I see Summer 2021 shaping up. Anyone who thinks the ROI will have foreign travel permitted in some form for this period is only fooling themselves in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Just thought I would share this. I was incensed when I read the passport office would not be issuing passports. Happy to say my annoyance was misplaced. My passport is due for renewal in May. So I thought I might aswell join the queue. Applied online, took the photo uploaded it, paid my money. All done on Sunday evening just gone. Amazed that my new passport was laying on the hall mat today when I got in form work today. That's an impressive turn around time to be fair.

My wife's is out. Applied weeks ago and nothing has arrived yet. I've been told they only print them once a week. Applied for a passport card as well, I wonder if that is the hold up. I assume that once they have printed the emergency applications, they spend the rest of the day knocking out ones from the backlog.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement