Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

RobitTV wrote: »
    Always wondered is moving abroad to live with a partner or family member 'essential' under the current travel regulations in Ireland?

As per here: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/701/made/en/print

Such reasonable excuse includes an applicable person leaving his or her place of residence in order to -

(p) move to another residence where, in all the circumstances of the case, such movement is reasonably necessary.

Nothing concrete about it being domestically or abroad, if you can prove it - no issue really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Always wondered is moving abroad to live with a partner or family member 'essential' under the current travel regulations in Ireland?

why dont you find out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yes it is

faceman wrote: »
    Yes it is

but now he cant always wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

but now he cant always wonder

Thanks for contributing so much as always :rolleyes: we continue to be honoured.

• Advertisement

Thanks for contributing so much as always :rolleyes:

what do you contribute by asking a question that has been answered multiple times :rolleyes:

how long were you wondering about this

what do you contribute by asking a question that has been answered multiple times :rolleyes:

how long were you wondering about this

This is a thread about travel, and the whole point of this thread is to discuss, debate and for people to come here and ask questions. You only realised this now?

Sorry for asking a question. You can now continue to waffle on.

This is a thread about travel, and the whole point of this thread is to discuss, debate and for people to come here and ask questions. You only realised this now?

Sorry for asking a question. You can now continue to waffle on.

no seriously, it can't be said you haven't been in the thread right it has been answered maybe 50 times i mean a quick old google will provide the answer

no seriously, it can't be said you haven't been in the thread right it has been answered maybe 50 times i mean a quick old google will provide the answer

No seriously, why do you happen to be so bothered by a question? do we have to run each and every question past you for permission now?

If you don't want to answer then simply scroll past it. Let's move on.

It hasn't been answered '50 times' either. If that was the case, then asking the question would be unnecessary.

No seriously, why do you happen to be so bothered by a question? do we have to run each and every question past you for permission now?

If you don't want to answer then simply scroll past it. Let's move on.

It hasn't been answered '50 times' either.

it has, at least

if you can't hack it put me on ignore

i moved on ages ago

• Advertisement

it has, at least

if you can't hack it put me on ignore

Let's not go around in pointless circles. This is way off topic.

Just move on. Everyone is entitled to ask a question on a discussion forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Relevant to the discussion as many countries in the EU talk about this being a milestone for reopening to tourism

https://twitter.com/naomiohreally/status/1360162279090757637?s=21

Majorca

The Mallorcan tourist industry has said that they will be ready for when Britons can start travelling again and hope to welcome thousands of British tourists to the island this summer. Maria Frontera, President of the Mallorcan Hoteliers Federation said that everything must be in place to welcome back British tourists.

On Tuesday, travel giant Tui said it had taken, 2.8 million bookings for summer 2021 with the average price of a holiday 20% up on 2019. “The scope for consumer spending is high. The significant increase in spending on booked travel reflects this very clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

Majorca

The Mallorcan tourist industry has said that they will be ready for when Britons can start travelling again and hope to welcome thousands of British tourists to the island this summer. Maria Frontera, President of the Mallorcan Hoteliers Federation said that everything must be in place to welcome back British tourists.

On Tuesday, travel giant Tui said it had taken, 2.8 million bookings for summer 2021 with the average price of a holiday 20% up on 2019. “The scope for consumer spending is high. The significant increase in spending on booked travel reflects this very clearly.

And yet the Transport secretary for the UK has said they have no timeframe for easing restrictions and they don't know whether foreign travel will be permitted during the summer.

The tourism/aviation industry has no inside knowledge. They're just trying to generate revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm off work this week and one item on my to-do list was apply for passport renewal for two of the younglings (expired June 2020). Even if they're not processing applications, there's nothing wrong with sending them in, is there? Or could the documents get trapped forever in the post?
    I don't want to be stuck for another year when restrictions lift because we can't get passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

Wondering if anyone has advice - I want to move abroad, currently living at my family home in the middle of no where, working from home for the past year and very much stuck in a rut (I had been anxious to change jobs even before covid and then I just got complacent).
    I am under no illusions that it will be that much better abroad but I just need a change. I want to move to a city (considered cities in Ireland but I want a change).

Has anyone any recommendations on a country/city to move to? Main points:
    - Would like to move to a large city where a car is not needed.
    - Hopefully somewhere where maybe restrictions are a little less severe?
    - I'm female in my 20s so somewhere safe is important, i will probably live in a house share too
    - Also note I work in IT, and would like to have a job secured before I go, so would need to be an English speaking country/have plenty of English speaking jobs.
    - I am aiming to leave here in July or August (think thats a safe bet that most countries will be in an OK position by then, I know it might go into lockdown again though)

I was thinking maybe England - I know at the moment their restrictions are as bad as ours, but on a whole last year they seemed to ease restrictions a lot more, and a lot sooner than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'm off work this week and one item on my to-do list was apply for passport renewal for two of the younglings (expired June 2020). Even if they're not processing applications, there's nothing wrong with sending them in, is there? Or could the documents get trapped forever in the post?
    I don't want to be stuck for another year when restrictions lift because we can't get passports.

Same boat, ours are due for renewal very soon, as soon as we can we'll be airborne, we don't want anything holding that up.

Wondering if anyone has advice - I want to move abroad, currently living at my family home in the middle of no where, working from home for the past year and very much stuck in a rut (I had been anxious to change jobs even before covid and then I just got complacent).
    I am under no illusions that it will be that much better abroad but I just need a change. I want to move to a city (considered cities in Ireland but I want a change).

- I'm female in my 20s so somewhere safe is important, i will probably live in a house share too
    - Also note I work in IT, and would like to have a job secured before I go, so would need to be an English speaking country/have plenty of English speaking jobs.
    - I am aiming to leave here in July or August (think thats a safe bet that most countries will be in an OK position by then, I know it might go into lockdown again though)

I was thinking maybe England - I know at the moment their restrictions are as bad as ours, but on a whole last year they seemed to ease restrictions a lot more, and a lot sooner than us.

Yes, I think England, and if London isnt your thing, I would recommend Bristol. Nice looking city, young population, great parks, lots of space, docks, sea not far away, pretty chilled, affordable accommodation, good coffee, not a car friendly city (you wouldn't want a car there even if you had one) but they have Zipcars if you want to get out of town. It has everything you want and need in a city, but has quite a villagey feel in some of the districts (like Clifton, Cotham and Redlands).

If I were to move to the UK permanently, it would be the top of my list by a distance

And, in normal times, direct 40 minute flights to Dublin, and the Pembroke to Rosslare ferry is only a couple of hours away

(and the restrictions aren't as bad, even now. There is no limit on distance from your home, for example)

If you dont already have a job secured, language barriers are going to be your biggest obstacle. The UK is immediate choice. You could also look at job options in Belgium, Luxembourg and Barcelona.

Its too hard to tell what restrictions if any will be in place by the summer. Unless some vaccine resistant mutation emerges I would imagine most of Europe bar Ireland will have a lot more freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Does it have to be English speaking? Copenhagen might be a good bet if not. I am having similar thoughts myself albeit I have more ties and would be very difficult to uproot but I am so disillusioned with quality of life here that the fantasy of moving away is quickly becoming a possibility. It wouldn't just be my own decision to make though. Whatever about restrictions I dont think there is a country in the world who are totally all consumed by Covid like we are. Every chat show and column inch.

• Advertisement

Seems okay to me:

Temporary restrictions – national measures

4. (1) Subject to paragraph (2), an applicable person shall not leave his or her place of residence without reasonable excuse.
    (2) Without prejudice to the generality of what constitutes a reasonable excuse for the purposes of paragraph (1), such reasonable excuse includes an applicable person leaving his or her place of residence in order to -

(p) move to another residence where, in all the circumstances of the case, such movement is reasonably necessary,

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

If UK is where you see yourself, Edinburgh up north and Newcastle are 2 great options. Young vibrant cities. Down South Norwich and Bournemouth are another 2 worthy of consideration. Stay away from Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

Yes, I think England, and if London isnt your thing, I would recommend Bristol.

Thanks for all the input, yes I was actually thinking London for a big change, even for 1 year and then evaluate/see how things are going with covid I guess!

Will probably leave it to April or May to start job hunting when there seems to be a better idea of the covid situation for the summer.

Thanks for all the input, yes I was actually thinking London for a big change, even for 1 year and then evaluate/see how things are going with covid I guess!

Will probably leave it to April or May to start job hunting when there seems to be a better idea of the covid situation for the summer.

Do plenty of research first. I am sure that there is a thread here for people moving to London. It is so vast that it is easy to go wrong. eg. do you want to be in a hipster neighbourhood, a green neighbourhood etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Cathay Pacific airlines have basically cancelled the majority of their long haul flights as the latest rules in HKG require crew to do 14 days quarantine.

Therefore They don’t have enough crews for the flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

GazzaL wrote: »
    Any recommendations for where to go for the best dentist this summer? Lanzarote, Santa Ponsa, Vilamoura, Malaga?

Satisfying indeed to see creative, rebellious passengers give restrictions the metaphorical middle finger. Here's hoping they have a good time, and continue winding up the joyless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Nermal wrote: »
    Satisfying indeed to see creative, rebellious passengers give restrictions the metaphorical middle finger. Here's hoping they have a good time, and continue winding up the joyless.

And Claire Byrne was calling dentists in the Canaries to ask where Irish people asking for letters to go there ?

What a c*nt

If you read the actual statute re. essential travel (rather than gov.ie), there is plenty there to work with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That's one smart cookie........Would be terrible if the gardai called said dentist and asked for the list of no shows. Could do so on suspicion of breach of the relevant legislation. Seems cut and dry. Would be terrible for them to get a 4k fine. Should have got the checkup. They are obviously tight for not turning up. I guess that dentist will be giving anyone who does turn up a route canal whether they want one or not. :pac:

Idiots. Can't wait for the follow up show.

https://twitter.com/TodaywithClaire/status/1360185895060721666?s=20

https://twitter.com/TodaywithClaire/status/1360185898026033152?s=20
    HEALTH ACT 1947 (SECTION 31A - TEMPORARY RESTRICTIONS) (COVID-19) (NO. 7) REGULATIONS 2020

Restrictions of movement of applicable persons in relation to travel from county of residence
    5. (1) Subject to Regulation 13 and paragraph (2), an applicable person shall not travel from his or her county of residence to another county or to a state other than the State without reasonable excuse.
    (2) Without prejudice to the generality of what constitutes a reasonable excuse for the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse for travelling includes travelling in order to -
    (g) attend a medical or dental appointment, or accompany, to such an appointment, any other person residing with the person, or a vulnerable person,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement