Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackout Blinds (DIY Measure/Fit)

Options
  • 10-02-2021 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend any companies in Cork, or even nationwide where I can get Blackout Blinds custom made, that I measure and fit myself?

Need a covering width of 190cm and full drop of 240cm if possible to block the light from a rear patio door, before the evenings get long again.

Ideally, I don't want to deal with bespoke companies like Acme who will only do business if a sales agent can call out/measure/upsell and only their fitters can install.

The DIY shops (Range/Harry Correy/Homestore) are not an option, as they only offer a drop of 165cm and a maximum width inc. fittings of 180cm.

BlindsDirect and Blinds2Go have .ie sites, but are both UK based, so I don't want to take my chances of being left with a customs mess.

That leaves few options, 3 of whom i've located on Google Maps, but never really heard of before:

Direct Blinds Cork in Little Island, MyBlinds in Togher and Coleman Blinds in Rochestown.

Has anyone dealt with the above 3 companies? Any feedback on build quality/errors/promised turnaround etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sorry can't help directly but we used murray's on The Grand Parade (who are now The Drapery Shop on Emmet Place) and found them good.

Just beware, when we ordered, it seemed that that expect the window measurements and they widen the blind to suit.
    We were clear that we specified the blind width as we have tapered reveals and needed a very precise width but they still assumed we gave them the window width.
    Anyway, they accepted their mistake and remade the blinds foc. Very good quality.

Tldr.
    Make absolutely sure that they understand, exactly what width you want the blind. Be sure that they aren't making assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I have used direct blinds in Little Island , twice in the past 3 years and found my dealing with them, straight forward and honest.

Fitters know what they are doing, and their guys measuring up got it spot on. They also called when they said they would, and their estimates of how long it would take to get made up were spot on. Their price was good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Can anyone recommend any companies in Cork, or even nationwide where I can get Blackout Blinds custom made, that I measure and fit myself?

Need a covering width of 190cm and full drop of 240cm if possible to block the light from a rear patio door, before the evenings get long again.

Ideally, I don't want to deal with bespoke companies like Acme who will only do business if a sales agent can call out/measure/upsell and only their fitters can install.

The DIY shops (Range/Harry Correy/Homestore) are not an option, as they only offer a drop of 165cm and a maximum width inc. fittings of 180cm.

BlindsDirect and Blinds2Go have .ie sites, but are both UK based, so I don't want to take my chances of being left with a customs mess.

That leaves few options, 3 of whom i've located on Google Maps, but never really heard of before:

Direct Blinds Cork in Little Island, MyBlinds in Togher and Coleman Blinds in Rochestown.

Has anyone dealt with the above 3 companies? Any feedback on build quality/errors/promised turnaround etc..

https://www.acmeblinds.com/index.cfm
    Got blinds a few months ago, nice ppl, no issues, and I bargained

AFAIK based in Douglas woolen Mills

If stuck u could buy 2 Harry Corrys, if its for a bedroom who sees it, I fitted 2,from there (blackout)
    Must be a way of joining them just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

https://www.acmeblinds.com/index.cfm
    Got blinds a few months ago, nice ppl, no issues, and I bargained

AFAIK based in Douglas woolen Mills

If stuck u could buy 2 Harry Corrys, if its for a bedroom who sees it, I fitted 2,from there (blackout)
    Must be a way of joining them just a thought

Had Acme blinds in our last house. Wasn’t too impressed that their “Black out” blinds were pretty far from blacking out the light.

Had Acme blinds in our last house. Wasn’t too impressed that their “Black out” blinds were pretty far from blacking out the light.

I didn't get black outs from them but venetian type jobbies, great aswell

• Advertisement

Use Harry C blackouts they were fine but not entirely pure blackout though, and TBH neither was my fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

I’ve used MyBlinds a few times and was very happy with all the blinds I got incl. the blackout blinds for my daughter’s bedroom. I also had them fit the blinds I bought and very happy with that also, very tidy and the fitter was a qualified carpenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Coleman blinds did our house. Grand job but they came and measured and fitted. Not sure if they do custom job without measuring themselves etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Have arranged an online demo with blocblinds They're based in the north and said no issues with delivery here. Looking for total blackout blind for bedroom so if theirs work, will be thrilled. Have been looking for a blackout solution for years .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

seefin wrote: »
    Have arranged an online demo with blocblinds They're based in the north and said no issues with delivery here. Looking for total blackout blind for bedroom so if theirs work, will be thrilled. Have been looking for a blackout solution for years .

Its just a question and not a criticism
    Why oh why would you not go with one of the local companies?
    They must have access to anything a company in the 'north' would have, and better again the money is staying in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Dbu wrote: »
    Its just a question and not a criticism
    Why oh why would you not go with one of the local companies?
    They must have access to anything a company in the 'north' would have, and better again the money is staying in Cork

Because these guys do total blackout( they have cassettes at side) and also dp supply without having to fit..Thats their business model Had contacted acorn in December who do similar total blackout blinds, but they cant come and measure etc due to restrictions and we need something before the summer.Ill gladly go local if someone can recommend a total blackout blind. Have been making a point of buying in ireland and ideally Cork the past year

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭murtyd17

seefin wrote: »
    Because these guys do total blackout( they have cassettes at side) and also dp supply without having to fit..Thats their business model Had contacted acorn in December who do similar total blackout blinds, but they cant come and measure etc due to restrictions and we need something before the summer.Ill gladly go local if someone can recommend a total blackout blind. Have been making a point of buying in ireland and ideally Cork the past year

How did these work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I used kelly carpets for an office fitout, including blinds, top class and reasonable.

I got day night blinds from 247blinds for home and they are unreal quality better than I was getting locally for a fraction of the price.

Advertisement