Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish places with ironic names??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Mimon wrote: »
    Maybe had a mountain view when it was originally built? Dublin originally wasn't very big.

Could be. It’s not a very long road and is cut off to the south by houses of a similar type so if there was a view I don’t think it lasted very long.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Foretunestown

(located next to Jobstown...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

Mimon wrote: »
    Pilltown - sounds like it should be a mecca for ravers, never been there but presume it's not.

Oh it feckin is.

Piltown is the spelling by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Amirani wrote: »
    It used to though, back when Fairview was directly on the coast. Hence "Fairview Strand" (same applies to North Strand).

Yep, the park and Eastpoint are reclaimed land.

Take that, Holland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Spanish Point, co clare

not a spaniard to be seen or point at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Amirani wrote: »
    It used to though, back when Fairview was directly on the coast. Hence "Fairview Strand" (same applies to North Strand).

And similarly Marino (An Mairíne) was once closer to the sea.

I'll add Bull Island no bulls and no longer an island (since causeway built).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Borris in Ossory.

What's an ossory? Who's Borris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Borris in Ossory.

Back in the mists of time Boris Yeltsin President of Russia made a stopover at Shannon Airport.

Our Taoiseach Albert Reynolds lined up with a bunch of dignitaries beside his plane but Boris never got off the plane so they all went home.

It later transpired that Mr Yeltsin had a feed of vodka during the flight and fell asleep. When they landed none of his staff would wake him.

The incident was described later as Boris is Ossified.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Borris in Ossory.

Buirìs is a town owned by a lord. Osraí was an old Irish kingdom. So it's a town in a kingdom. Very apt I think.

Not understanding it doesn't make it ironic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

There's a townland near Churchill in Donegal called Mountpleasure

Hospital, Limerick. Doesn't have one.

i often wondered how that place got that name...any locals fill us in?

fryup wrote: »
    i often wondered how that place got that name...any locals fill us in?

It goes back to the time of the Knights Hospitaller who built a church there about 800 years ago. Just a pile of stones now.

Better Limerick one is Effin.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sac O Spuds

Down in West Cork there's a village that had a lot of republican leanings in the civil war. Ambush sites safehouses plenty of volunteers.

Killbrittain

I was told once that the man that shot Michael Collins in Bealnablath came from that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Lads, explaining the factual etymologies of the place names is spoiling the irony.

Down in West Cork there's a village that had a lot of republican leanings in the civil war. Ambush sites safehouses plenty of volunteers.

Killbrittain

and was it called that back in colonial times?? surprised the brits allowed it

• Advertisement

Killbrittain

I was told once that the man that shot Michael Collins in Bealnablath came from that area.

Correct, Sonny O'Neil was from Timoleague.

Lads, explaining the factual etymologies of the place names is spoiling the irony.

Ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Crookedwood in Westmeath.
    They Have a hurling team who are not the best team in county let’s put it that way.
    So think it’s ironic that there called crookedwood!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Passifyoucan near lucan.
    It actually has many verges, driveways and wide corners to allow safe passing of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

Nellies hole on lough derg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Horse and Jockey in Tipperary. Apart from a statue I've never seen so much as a sulky.
    Couple of real name places in Galway. Two Mile Ditch and Dyke Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

More sarcasm than irony, there's a townland in Wexford named Gurtins.
    The townland beside it is Gurtins Great.

deni20000 wrote: »
    Nellies hole on lough derg

It's Nellies Angle.

(I'm not sure which is worse :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Fairview, Dublin. No view at all.

I think the sea may have come right up to Fairview and that's maybe why it was called that, as you could see the whole of Dublin bay. I think maybe the Bull Wall allowed the land to be reclaimed.

I think the sea may have come right up to Fairview and that's maybe why it was called that, as you could see the whole of Dublin bay. I think maybe the Bull Wall allowed the land to be reclaimed.

And that explains Seaview Avenue & Bayview Avenue in North Strand and East Wall area... no view of the Bay anymore as the strand has been stolen by Clontarf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Nuclear Drive, Portarlington.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    And that explains Seaview Avenue & Bayview Avenue in North Strand and East Wall area... no view of the Bay anymore as the strand has been stolen by Clontarf.

Yes a lot of the land around there is reclaimed, I think East Point may be reclaimed land too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

flazio wrote: »
    Horse and Jockey in Tipperary. Apart from a statue I've never seen so much as a sulky.
    Couple of real name places in Galway. Two Mile Ditch and Dyke Road.
    Is the Black Box still on Dyke Rd ?

Tranquility Grove, Coolock.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Good shout - nowhere near the moon.

(All those streets were named after the Apollo missions - Apollo Way, Eagle Park, Armstrong Walk and Aldrin Walk as well)

• Advertisement

Yes a lot of the land around there is reclaimed, I think East Point may be reclaimed land too.

Yep. There had been an island in that vicinity, known as Clontarf Island.
    But the building of the 'bull' walls led to stripping of sediment until the Island was washed away in a great storm in 1844 with a tragic loss of life.
    https://www.loveclontarf.ie/about/history-of-clontarf/clontarf-island/

Think East Point was reclaimed using rubbish from construction sites, starting in the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

California Hills Park Ballyfermot.

Also Claddagh Rd, Spiddle Rd, Oranmore Rd etc in Ballyfermot no where near anywhere in Galway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Bundle of Sticks roundabout in Naas.

Now I have to admit I think its a brilliant name for a roundabout, but there is no bundle of sticks in sight!

But the building of the 'bull' walls led to stripping of sediment until the Island was washed away in a great storm in 1844 with a tragic loss of life.
    https://www.loveclontarf.ie/about/history-of-clontarf/clontarf-island/

Think East Point was reclaimed using rubbish from construction sites, starting in the 80s.

Yes it was William Bligh of mutiny on the Bounty fame who surveyed the bay prior to the wall being built.
    Never knew about the island!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It is. The football pitches on Alfie Byrne Road used be always called off at the first drop of rain because it's reclaimed land but I think the pitches down there are artificial now.

EDIT-Off topic but a great story about the area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marino_Crescent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

afro man wrote: »
    Some crackers in Wexford

Bastardstown,
    Fannystown

Both may be highly accurate rather than ironic though. Unless you can verify the lack of both in same.

Sesame St was the old name for Kildare St.

Which is rather ironic as it's now where the Irish franchise of the Muppet Show is filmed...

cdeb wrote: »
    Leopardstown is an obvious one actually. No leopards at all. The Irish name gives it away - Baile na Lobhar - Town of the lepers. It was the site of a lepers' hospital in the middle ages.

Plenty of dead men walking after most races. Bookie vampires gorging on their lifeblood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mallow, neither soft nor sweet.

• Advertisement

Borris in Ossory.

He's descended from werewolves. If you have to ask, don't ask in a local pub. People disappear.

http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/culture/talk/banshees/werewolf.shtm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The Irish for Clontarf is “Cluain Tarbh” - the meadow of the bull. Which I assume is where the “bull” in the Bull Wall and Bull Island comes from.

And yes, I’ve given up on the irony too.

The Irish for Clontarf is “Cluain Tarbh” - the meadow of the bull. Which I assume is where the “bull” in the Bull Wall and Bull Island comes from.
    And yes, I’ve given up on the irony too.

Yep... there are no bulls but maybe the wind and waves roaring in from the sea sound like a bull snorting is what I read.

Advertisement