Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Cam Outside A Ways; Cable?

Options
  • 11-02-2021 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

The actual cam? I daresay I'll settle for whichever Logitech looks best suited, on Amazon.

My question relates to the sort of cable I'll need. Looking at twenty foot from the window. My desk is beside the window. I just need to be able to see what's going on behind the hedge.

My idea is to run a cable, above head height, from the top of the window, out to a scaffold pole I happen to have out there, already supporting another wire, running elsewhere.

What do they Call this sort of cable, please? Do any 'weatherproof connectors' exist? Just throw in " USB ". Because that's bound to happen, isn't it?

Just throwing it out there, to kick around. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Webcams are good for interior, well-lit areas and short distance.
    What you want is a security camera suitable for exterior, capable of capturing wide-angle images, maybe even equipped with IR for night vision.
    Those come with weatherproof cables/connectors, and solutions for connectivity at a distance (wireless, or power-over-Ethernet).

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Is "behind the hedge" your property?

If not be careful...

Data Protection

TLDR:
    As long as your cameras are only capturing your garden or driveway and do not capture a public space, then the household exemption applies. However if the direction or angle the cameras are pointing in captures a public space – for example the footpath, a roadway or back alley – then it will likely fall within the scope of data protection law and you will be a data controller if it captures identifiable images of people on the public space. Care should also be taken to avoid capturing your neighbours’ properties (their house, garden etc…) as this would intrude upon their privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

It's my neighbours daughter, see ..... :p

Naah. Seriously; Yes, it's all my land. I don't need night vision or anything. I just want to put a crow trap there. Only spot for it. Only, as I'm not after harming them in any way, shape or form, I'd want to know when one went in there. That's all :)

I have a perfectly good little cam here. Used to have it in my window, watching who was at the door. I'd use that. But, I lost the software disc down the decades.

Looking on Amazon, last night. Choice of USB plugs, either end. And some talk of 'Boosters' :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SilverSideUp

It's not going to work because the maximum length of a USB cable is 5 metres for a high speed device.

You can extend the range with CAT5 extender

https://www.freetv.ie/usb-over-ethernet/

and some ethernet cable. But you'll need to secure the webcam from rain and moisture.

Bummer :( People are talking about 'Blue Tooth' 'n stuff? This is all getting a bit complicated.

Maybe I'll just rip a lump out of the hedge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

POE injector, outdoor rated CAT5, Hikvision or similar camera. Easy.

Lump it is, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

It's not going to work because the maximum length of a USB cable is 5 metres for a high speed device.

You can extend the range with CAT5 extender

https://www.freetv.ie/usb-over-ethernet/

and some ethernet cable. But you'll need to secure the webcam from rain and moisture.

If you can weatherproof an old Android inside a glass box etc, it would remain powered by usb at distances longer than that and relaying back to you on WiFi using Alfred app.

Alternatively, buy a purpose made trail cam running on either 3G or just on WiFi. Weather resistant and just the trick.

I'm feeling out of my depth now, lads.

But, I found This:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/REALMAX-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Black/dp/B017AL0IKI/ref=psdc_1338421031_t5_B011RCUH1G

Got the length. Says it works with web cams. Can I not get converters to go on the ends, making it usb compatible? Or am I just showing my ignorance once more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

HDMI cables can only carry audio and video signals.
    USB is a low power data signal, so it won't work over great distance.

• Advertisement

Hmm. Okay. Thanks for that, JoyPad. I'm floundering here. I can't even pretend to understand half of what half of ye are saying. This really isn't my subject.

But; Someone's pointed me at " Ring " Video bells? I think that might be the route? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Stigura wrote: »
    Hmm. Okay. Thanks for that, JoyPad. I'm floundering here. I can't even pretend to understand half of what half of ye are saying. This really isn't my subject.

But; Someone's pointed me at " Ring " Video bells? I think that might be the route? :)

You need Wifi coverage for the Ring to work which may be no issues for you, or could be a costly nightmare.

Inquitus; I was literally about to reopen the page I was reading, before answering an email.

https://eu.ring.com/products/stick-up-camera-power-adapter

IF I'm reading it right? That seems to give me 22.9' of cable? Sounds just about made for my job! So, there's my power, maybe?

Only trouble is, I'm not certain if A/ These things work Only off motion? Or, B/ If so? How much motion. I mean, a crow, flapping into view at eight foot, max, may well be enough. Dunno.

And now here's you saying wifi could be the killer? :(

I don't even know what wifi is. Whether or not I have it. Or how / what it might cost me, if I have.

How might I find out, please? :confused:

Inquitus; I was literally about to reopen the page I was reading, before answering an email.

https://eu.ring.com/products/stick-up-camera-power-adapter

IF I'm reading it right? That seems to give me 22.9' of cable? Sounds just about made for my job! So, there's my power, maybe?

Only trouble is, I'm not certain if A/ These things work Only off motion? Or, B/ If so? How much motion. I mean, a crow, flapping into view at eight foot, max, may well be enough. Dunno.

And now here's you saying wifi could be the killer? :(

I don't even know what wifi is. Whether or not I have it. Or how / what it might cost me, if I have.

How might I find out, please? :confused:

Wifi is your wireless networking that allows your phone, laptop, tablet, ring camera or whatever to communicate wirelessly with the internet. Your ring Camera needs wifi to transmit its picture to you. If the area you want to install it in is covered by your home wifi then it's all good, if its in a corner of your garden well away from your wifi coverage you'd have to fix that and invest in something that can extend wifi coverage for you.

Hmm. We're talking twenty foot. Literally a straight, clear line to my front gate.

I have a ~ what I believe is termed 'Wireless' alarm system here. Trigger beams are hundreds of yards away. God knows how they work. But, trip them and the box on my wall shouts at me. And my phone sends me a text, no matter where I am. Box has a sim card in it. That's all I know. Nothing to do with my computer though.

Phone, obviously, has its own sim card and works where ever I go. Come to think of it? I'm pretty sure the little modem with my computer has a sim card in it too. No idea where That may come into all this.

Christ, I only want to catch some crows. Look where it's taking me :(

Do you have a wireless network at home? Do you use a SIM in all your devices? or can you connect your laptop to the internet by wifi. All Internet Service Providers give their subscribers a wireless router that then plugs into your cable or ADSL connection. If you have one you can just use to phone to check if the wifi reaches to where the Camera is to be mounted, if not you will need to create a wireless network that extends to where you wish to place the camera.

This is one of Virgin's wireless routers:

thumbs_virgin_media_superhub_3_router.jpg

This is a Vodafone wireless router:

maxresdefault.jpg

What part of the country are you in, there's probably someone on here who lives nearby who wouldn't mind popping round to help you figure out what to do?

Right; I haven't got anything that looks remotely like either of those. Haven't got a phone line either.

My 'Thing' is a Huawei E5573. I'm pretty sure 3 refer to it as my Modem. It has a battery and a sim card.

Phone's with Vodafone, if that counts for anything?

Jesus!!! Hang about! The Back of my little modem thing says " Mobile WiFi "!!! What the hell's That all about?! Where does that leave us now??? (Excitement! :D)

Where am I? Bang, smack middle of nowhere, I'm afraid. Beyond the fields you'd know. Even by Leitrim standards!

Really appreciate ye patience, in dealing with a cave man such as I. I really am at that level with this stuff.

Right; I haven't got anything that looks remotely like either of those. Haven't got a phone line either.

My 'Thing' is a Huawei E5573. I'm pretty sure 3 refer to it as my Modem. It has a battery and a sim card.

Phone's with Vodafone, if that counts for anything?

Jesus!!! Hang about! The Back of my little modem thing says " Mobile WiFi "!!! What the hell's That all about?! Where does that leave us now??? (Excitement! :D)

Where am I? Bang, smack middle of nowhere, I'm afraid. Beyond the fields you'd know. Even by Leitrim standards!

Really appreciate ye patience, in dealing with a cave man such as I. I really am at that level with this stuff.

Ok you have a sim based wireless modem / router. On your phone you should be able to see a Wifi network called Huawei XXXXX or something like that. There should be a password on the router that you can use to connect your phone to it. When connected go to where you want to install the webcam and see if your phone stays connected to the Wifi network and if you can surf the web or watch youtube effectively on it. If you can then you now know that there is wifi coverage in place at the point you need to install the webcam, at that point you can go and buy the camera and the extended power cable and set about installing it and setting it up.

If sadly you cannot get the Wifi network or the speed is very bad at the site you wish to mount the webcam, then we'll need to advise on what other options you might have.

You Beauty!!! :D:D:D

Just been out there, stood where I need the camera, absolutely freezing my bits off as I watched some You Tube ~ presumably on the WiFi connection which the phone encrypted!

Absolutely no idea what Any of that's about. But, it does sound about right, doesn't it? Fed the phone an eight character hash up I found inside the modem thing. Seemed very happy with that.

Ye reckon I'm set then? :)

• Advertisement

Ye reckon I'm set then? :)

As long as your phone showed it was on wifi and not on 4G. You wanted to see it as on the left.

11techtipwebART-superJumbo.jpg

Front of the phone, in that top left corner, says " vodafone ie " Then there's three bars of the five signal strength. Then there's that wifi / radar looking thing. That has what looks like one and two (alternating) dots to the right of it. Very hard to make out.

Inside? My wifi page says this:
    P2120490.png

What's that mean? Good?

What's that mean? Good?

Yep that means you should be all good!

:D Excellent! You're a saint! Thank you!!! :D

Advertisement