Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bald with a beard, or just hair on your head?

Options
  • 11-02-2021 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

I'm 23.
    Which is quite young to be going bald, but here I am.

I started going bald a few years ago, then this time last year it started thinning on top and it started to go at the crown and I just said f*ck it and I shaved my head down to 2mm, and it's been like that since.

I've been in two minds whether or not I should try the usual suspects to try and maintain, and possibly even get back some of my hair.
    The hairline doesn't bother me all that much, it's the crown that's the kicker.

I bought some minoxidil online (not looking for medical advice), I was planning on using it to try and get some hair going.

Now I'm somewhat considering keeping the chrome dome and using it to try and flesh out a proper beard.

Benefits would be - No finasteride, not stuck on minoxidil for the rest of my life, beard.
    Benefits of having hair - I wouldn't be the weirdly hairless 23 year old, I'd have back my luscious curly brown hair (to an extent).

I've been told the bald look suits me, I'm not a big guy (I swear I'm still growing though), 170cm.
    I've recently started hitting the gym in an attempt to bulk up, I'm a little under 10st.
    A lot of girls have assumed I shave(d) because I like how it looks, rather than because I'm going bald, I guess I started buzzing it early enough..

I've left my facial hair for a little under 2 weeks, it's starting to somewhat resemble more than pubes, but it's virtually non-existent on the cheeks and just generally patchy in places.. But I can feel baby hairs, so minoxidil might work.

So, should I try and regrow some head hair?
    Or, should I just try and work on growing some face hair?

I know neither is guaranteed, but I've already paid for the 6 months and I've read up on side affects so I'm willing to chance it.

Any ideas!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'm 23.
    Which is quite young to be going bald, but here I am.

I started going bald a few years ago, then this time last year it started thinning on top and it started to go at the crown and I just said f*ck it and I shaved my head down to 2mm, and it's been like that since.

I've been in two minds whether or not I should try the usual suspects to try and maintain, and possibly even get back some of my hair.
    The hairline doesn't bother me all that much, it's the crown that's the kicker.

I bought some minoxidil online (not looking for medical advice), I was planning on using it to try and get some hair going.

Now I'm somewhat considering keeping the chrome dome and using it to try and flesh out a proper beard.

Benefits would be - No finasteride, not stuck on minoxidil for the rest of my life, beard.
    Benefits of having hair - I wouldn't be the weirdly hairless 23 year old, I'd have back my luscious curly brown hair (to an extent).

I've been told the bald look suits me, I'm not a big guy (I swear I'm still growing though), 170cm.
    I've recently started hitting the gym in an attempt to bulk up, I'm a little under 10st.
    A lot of girls have assumed I shave(d) because I like how it looks, rather than because I'm going bald, I guess I started buzzing it early enough..

I've left my facial hair for a little under 2 weeks, it's starting to somewhat resemble more than pubes, but it's virtually non-existent on the cheeks and just generally patchy in places.. But I can feel baby hairs, so minoxidil might work.

So, should I try and regrow some head hair?
    Or, should I just try and work on growing some face hair?

I know neither is guaranteed, but I've already paid for the 6 months and I've read up on side affects so I'm willing to chance it.

Any ideas!?

I'd do a few months minoxidil, it'll at worst do no harm, at best it'll help regrowth and the most likely thing it'll do is retain what you have.

I'd be wary of fin - I know the horror stories are a minority, but the thoughts of sexual dysfunction due to trying to keep my hair. But you'll need to make up your own mind on that.

I'm 34 now, started receding and thinning gradually from 27 onwards so it hit me earlier than you. I did minoxidil for a few years but eventually I realised its (literally!) a losing battle and buzzed it. Then shaved it.

You're there already and it sounds like you're handling it admirably - fair play. If the shaved/bald look suits, you're in a great position cos you've a good default. If minox works, and your hair thickens, you can rock that again for a few more years, before you likely have to face this situation again.

Gym is a good idea, a bit of muscle sets off the shaved/bald look nicely. As for the beard, give it a try but also give it time. You're only 23. I didn't have facial hair til 27 (on reflection, what a time of change!) but by 30 I could grow a good beard.

You're facing these things head on. That's more attractive to anybody than either a head of hair or a beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

I'd do a few months minoxidil, it'll at worst do no harm, at best it'll help regrowth and the most likely thing it'll do is retain what you have.

I'd be wary of fin - I know the horror stories are a minority, but the thoughts of sexual dysfunction due to trying to keep my hair. But you'll need to make up your own mind on that.

I'm 34 now, started receding and thinning gradually from 27 onwards so it hit me earlier than you. I did minoxidil for a few years but eventually I realised its (literally!) a losing battle and buzzed it. Then shaved it.

You're there already and it sounds like you're handling it admirably - fair play. If the shaved/bald look suits, you're in a great position cos you've a good default. If minox works, and your hair thickens, you can rock that again for a few more years, before you likely have to face this situation again.

Gym is a good idea, a bit of muscle sets off the shaved/bald look nicely. As for the beard, give it a try but also give it time. You're only 23. I didn't have facial hair til 27 (on reflection, what a time of change!) but by 30 I could grow a good beard.

You're facing these things head on. That's more attractive to anybody than either a head of hair or a beard.

Thank you,

In all honestly it probably seems like it's affecting me more than it actually is because in reality it's not been that big of a deal, it was when I was going bald but not so much anymore.
    I'm just quietly thinking to myself I'd like a full head of hair, or that I'd settle for a decent beard and a shaved head.

My main question is; should I use the minoxidil on my hair, or beard.
    The hair isn't permanent, there's a chance it won't work out as expected (e.g I'll get back the density which isn't too far gone but I'll have a bald spot).
    I've also heard Minoxidil doesn't do much for hairlines.

Or do I try using Minoxidil to grow a proper beard, while again it won't be guaranteed at least when I stop using it the hair I've grown will stay put.

So do I want a bald head and a beard or a head with hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Why not use the Minox on both and see how both respond? Then shave one of them depending on how they're progressing?

Advertisement