Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claims on home insurance

Options
  • 11-02-2021 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hello,

My wife and I plan on moving this year. Over the course of the last 12 months, we have had the misfortune of having to claim twice on our home insurance for separate issues relating to pipes leaking. The claims have been around €10k each. We have owned our house for 7 years and never made a claim before, nor have we ever made a car/health/travel insurance claim, thankfully.

My query is: could a potential buyer of our house be in the process of closing the deal, and then find him/herself unable to obtain insurance on the house, or find it prohibitively expensive to do so? Our insurer has not given us any guidance on this one way or another. I'd imagine the process of selling and buying is stressful enough without having this worry hanging over us.

Thanks very much in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

The only question I remember on my house policy is about have I claimed. Not has the house had a claim.

Leaky pipe, smashed window, can't see how I as a buyer would know about any claim on a house that I was buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Player_86

Thanks, Staplor. Hopefully, it doesn't have too detrimental an impact on us, either on the sell side or the buy side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Any chance you could get some dummy quotes from other insurers? That might give you a ball park figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

The history of the claims will follow you not the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

I know a buyer who bought a house but found the leaks soon after. Bad heating system, wasn't working properly to start with. Previous owner wouldn't even answer the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    I know a buyer who bought a house but found the leaks soon after. Bad heating system, wasn't working properly to start with. Previous owner wouldn't even answer the phone.

Why would they ring the previous owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Why would they ring the previous owner?

Exactly previous owner has no legal duty to new owner. I’d be ringing the surveyor you got to carry out the pre purchase survey on your behalf for not identifying these problems! House is sold as soon so it’s up to solicitor and surveyor to identify any potential problems be with title or structurally.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Player_86

Thanks very much for the responses - appreciated.

Advertisement