Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GCN+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

ratracer wrote: »
    I had the free app, but after reading about the docs here and elsewhere, and ad free racing, I decided to throw them the €20! Last night I watched the first part of Mark Beaumont’s around the world in 80 days...... crazy stuff on the roads in Russia, looking forward to the second part this evening. As has been said here, the €20 is worth it just for the documentaries alone for the next few months.

can't get my head around the distances he's travelling in this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    So the missing ones appear to be:
    27 March: Omloop het Nieuwsblad
    28 March: Gent-Wevelgem in Flanders Fields
    31 March: Dwars door Vlaanderen
    7 April: Scheldeprijs
    14 April: Brabantse Pijl
    18 April: Amstel Gold

I suspect Sam will want to give Gent-Wevelgem a good crack? so its a shame we'll have to go elsewhere and get an "other" feed - but the Tour of Flanders on 4th April IS being covered by GCN and all three are owned and controlled by Flanders Classics, so it seems odd that there is mixed coverage ??

What is also missing Amstel is an odd one yet Fleche Walloon and LBL in the following week are included in the schedule - I think all three are under control of the same organisation, aren't they?. So what is the cause....

Hmm. That's a bit sh1te for an exclusively cycling racing app!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

fat bloke wrote: »
    Hmm. That's a bit sh1te for an exclusively cycling racing app!

Well to be fair to them, they didn't lose the rights, their parent company did. And they are at risk of losing RVV for next year as well if they don't get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That makes my mind up on signing up or not tbh, you'd expect them to have every WT level race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

https://twitter.com/VelocastJohn/status/1362704190204751872?s=20

Anyone know what time the highlights from Toue du Haut Var are likely to be on GCN+
    Nothing yet anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,414 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If GCN/Eurosport have lost the rights to those races, is there any other English language European-based broadcaster with the rights instead? Or is it simply a case of The Flanders Classics wanting €X, and Eurosport/GCN saying no deal?

Flanders Classics are playing hardball with the costs for the rights to broadcast their content. They have already said there'll be NO Tour of Flanders held next year (never mind in being on GCN or not) if they cannot have fans back at the races as their income from VIP and paid-entry hospitality has completely disappeared and they wont have the funds to run it (or its just a tactic to get Belgian Govt funding etc) - whatever. The point is, this year, the men with the money are Eurosports/PlaySports and F/C want - need - substantial funds to allow their content be broadcast.

I'd expect that they will thrash out a deal in due course, though perhaps not in time for Omloop, so you'll have to find another internet stream to watch

https://twitter.com/VelocastJohn/status/1362704190204751872?s=20

Anyone know what time the highlights from Toue du Haut Var are likely to be on GCN+
    Nothing yet anyway?

Will there be any???? I know they mentioned during the racing last week the first stage wasn't being covered at all live and it took it from that it was to do with the host broadcaster. I've seen it happen in a couple of races.

Hopefully there will be something up later but any stream I found was Spanish audio only, and the videos on you tube are from fixed cameras and cars.

Will there be any???? I know they mentioned during the racing last week the first stage wasn't being covered at all live and it took it from that it was to do with the host broadcaster. I've seen it happen in a couple of races.

Hopefully there will be something up later but any stream I found was Spanish audio only, and the videos on you tube are from fixed cameras and cars.

Yeah, todays TdHV highlights will be on GCN+ around 7pm apparently....

EDIT: Well that was...................short ! Just over 2 minutes of highlights !

José Been on with Matt on commentary today, thought she'd left Eurosport a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement

I loose the commentary from a live stream when I cast from the laptop (Chrome Version 88.0.4324.150) and instead get the old 'ambient sound' stream on the TV, but not when doing so from an android phone - full commentary is preserved. Anyone having similar experience? I've mailed the GCN+ support guys but an answer might take a while I suspect.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,414 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I loose the commentary from a live stream when I cast from the laptop (Chrome Version 88.0.4324.150) and instead get the old 'ambient sound' stream on the TV, but not when doing so from an android phone - full commentary is preserved. Anyone having similar experience? I've mailed the GCN+ support guys but an answer might take a while I suspect.....

I don't think I've ever tried casting from the GCN webplayer on my laptop to the TV. I'll give it a go later on.
    Any reason why casting from the app on your phone isn't your first choice?

I've had that on the Eurosport App, commentary on the phone and ambient sound when I cast to a TV. Quitting out of the app and turning the TV off and on fixed it.

Any reason why casting from the app on your phone isn't your first choice?

A not unreasonable question! its for those occasions that I begin watching something on the PC and then the TV frees up !
    Not a big deal once I can get it sorted via the Android App, but 'odd' nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭dahat

José Been on with Matt on commentary today, thought she'd left Eurosport a couple of years ago.

First time listening to her on tv, enjoyed her passion & knowledge .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the columbus doc is good, well worth a watch. the chilean one - mental task to take on, and i've just watched part one, but the editing could be a bit snappier. the should have cut it down to 45 mins.
    the scenery is bananas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

I watched the Ben King beer and bikes tour on it recently....whilst doing some intervals on zwift.....the torture was being asked for by zwift was compounded by the lovely looking beers that were on the taps...the gravel riding that he was doing with this travelling companion also looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

A not unreasonable question! its for those occasions that I begin watching something on the PC and then the TV frees up !
    Not a big deal once I can get it sorted via the Android App, but 'odd' nonetheless
    I try for a direct connection as much as possible to be honest. I found the GCN app very flaky last year, albeit usually when I was on the turbo (so Ant+ and bluetooth connections close by). But that was with Chromecast, phone and router well within a metre of each other!

I've my firetv stick hardwired to the router, so ended up watching as much as I could on the eurosport player. They say the GCN fireTV app is imminent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No app for APTV which is disappointing given there is one for IOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

Sorry just to get this clear, there’s no tv app for this? I would have to cast from either the phone or laptop. With a little person in the house, minimal work means maximum enjoyment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

nqtfarmer wrote: »
    Sorry just to get this clear, there’s no tv app for this? I would have to cast from either the phone or laptop. With a little person in the house, minimal work means maximum enjoyment

It's a Web player.

HDMI the laptop to the TV, login to the site, press play, fullscreen it. It's no insurmountable inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

dahat wrote: »
    No app for APTV which is disappointing given there is one for IOS.

I'm using the app on an old iPhone 7 mirrored to an Apple TV. Works perfectly.

I think they're working on an app for Apple TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think i saw some comment about them working on an LG TV app.

I'd optimistic about apps coming to other devices. They have the Eurosport one on xbox and playstation which is handy as I don't have a chrome cast on the man working from home cave TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

G1032 wrote: »
    See attached screenshot. It's a reply to a mail I sent them yesterday re future support for Roku and Firestick. Looks promising!!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=543780&d=1613425033

G1032 posted this attachment in post #24.

nqtfarmer wrote: »
    Sorry just to get this clear, there’s no tv app for this?
    Yet. FireTV coming soon apparently. Waiting on that before pulling the plug on eurosport player.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

I just installed the GCN+ app from the Play Store on my Android TV. Happy days!

R

Saw on another forum that the FireTV app is just waiting on Amazon to approve.

They don't seem to be showing the Giro route announcement that I can see? It's at 3pm.

• Advertisement

Advertisement