Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shed floor recommendations

• 11-02-2021 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Following on from a few other threads finally bit the bullet and got myself a decent steel shed.

last week I laid down 40mm insulation board on the floor, a plastic sheet over it and then some osb on top.

Now I wouldn't mind putting a floor on top of that. I m going to use it as a home office/mancave.

Its about 22 foot by 12 foot so its a fairly decent size. Don't want to break the bank on a floor but at the same time want something that wont cause me problems.

I was looking at carpet tiles but not sure how they would separate over time. Especially as I will have some gym equipment in it.

What do people recommend or use themselves. And any idea of rough prices.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Depends on layout of the room maybe ?
    Second hand gym mats available online but might be costly to do it throughout.
    I built a lean-to onto side of house over existing tarmac and we put down sheets of ply with second hand artificial grass in the gym area and a couple of gym mats where the heavy lifting will be done. Carpet tiles an option or large rugs / mats maybe ?
    Cheap laminate maybe if area good and dry ? Stick a few mats over where needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Floor paint on the OSB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you can live with the look, the OSB is probably not bad as is.

It has the major advantage of feeling warm to the touch compared to something like birch ply (which I have and don't like).

A big rug makes the world of difference. IKEA good for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Heffoman

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I was looking at the gym mats. Working out on average about €25 per square metre and I have about 22 square metres to cover. So it adds up.

If I used carpet tiles would they separate over time. That's all I would worry about compared to once piece of material.

Never considered painting the osb itself. May look into that. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Heffoman wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I was looking at the gym mats. Working out on average about €25 per square metre and I have about 22 square metres to cover. So it adds up.

If I used carpet tiles would they separate over time. That's all I would worry about compared to once piece of material.

Never considered painting the osb itself. May look into that. thanks.

https://www.halfords.ie/tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/halfords-8pc-coloured-floor-mat-set---100cm-x-200cm-336878.html

I have a set of these, they also had them in black in store. They are much better value than any similar foam matting I have seen elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lino?
    Added benefit of effectively being waterproof.
    Whatever you do you will need something extra in the weights area (i use 15mm 1mx1m rubber tiles from mcsport.ie or the like, as you say ~€25 m2)

Carpet tiles are very hard wearing and have the benefit that you can replace them individually if needed. They should stay in place if fitted correctly.

Painted OSB is fine, but might be a bit echo-ey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Can recommend floor tiles provided you are laying them on a flat surface. I you must you can always stick them down.

If you want something really tough to put under any gym equipment get a couple of 6x4 rubber stable mats stablemats.ie but put them over the top of the floor tiles.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Heffoman

Can recommend floor tiles provided you are laying them on a flat surface. I you must you can always stick them down.

If you want something really tough to put under any gym equipment get a couple of 6x4 rubber stable mats stablemats.ie but put them over the top of the floor tiles.

I ll check around today for a few prices on floor tiles. I obviously don t want to spend a fortune on a floor but want a decent one. I have two big 2x2 m gym mats which should do me grand enough on top of them.

The tiles from Halfords look decent but in those colours I d never get the kids out of the room.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Heffoman wrote: »
    I ll check around today for a few prices on floor tiles. I obviously don t want to spend a fortune on a floor but want a decent one. I have two big 2x2 m gym mats which should do me grand enough on top of them.

The tiles from Halfords look decent but in those colours I d never get the kids out of the room.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

screwfix.ie do them for €48 for a pack that covers 4m2

• Advertisement
Advertisement