Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct debit not taken

Options
  • 11-02-2021 2:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

I have a direct debit for a service and it normally leaves my account on the 9th, or if the 9th falls during a weekend, the following Monday.

It's been 2 days and so far it hasn't left my account. I rang them yesterday and they said it should have been taken, but will be taken yesterday instead, not sure with the extra day.

So I emailed them today about it and still waiting to hear back.

Has there been issues with direct debits and banks lately or why aren't they taking it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I have a direct debit for a service and it normally leaves my account on the 9th, or if the 9th falls during a weekend, the following Monday.

It's been 2 days and so far it hasn't left my account. I rang them yesterday and they said it should have been taken, but will be taken yesterday instead, not sure with the extra day.

So I emailed them today about it and still waiting to hear back.

Has there been issues with direct debits and banks lately or why aren't they taking it?

Some direct debit are routed through UK banks. Even if the company is Irish and their bank is in Ireland, the Direct Debit maybe routed via a UK bank. Brexit required all such mandates to be updated to include customers latest address details with the customers bank.

So, if the mandate never had your address details (wasn't a requirement), or the details on the mandate are different to the details your bank has on file, the mandate would not be valid. Might be worth asking your bank about the particular mandate.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Sometime this happens. The money eventually does get taken late and the next month goes back to normal. Irish life I pay on the 1st every month. One time it wasn’t taken until the 5th despite the 1st been a working day that month. Take a screenshot of your balance/statement print etc. And note that a letter from whatever company your with regarding non-payment would only be from a failed direct debit happening. They are not going to cut you off because this hasn’t happened. The issue is with the bank or them, it’s not you that has to sort it so sit back and relax.

Advertisement