Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overhaul the system

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Wow - 8 days! :eek: That is quick!!

These sales would tend to be flats and small urban houses with no complications. When you get out into the countryside, there are things that can slow the process down - usually a house owned by half a dozen children/grandchildren, all of whom have to physically sign the Deed of Sale and post it back to the notary. Or the sale might be conditional on the seller clearing 500 years' worth of junk out of the attics and barns and stables and cellars, so they might want more than a week to do that!

Also, if a country house comes with a significant parcel of land, all the neighbouring farmers have first dibs on it, and they're given up to three months to decide whether or not they want to/can find the funds for the purchase (has to be at the price agreed and for the whole property, they can't just slice off all the garden and leave you with a house standing on 10m² of concrete). In town centres, the local council frequently has first dibs on any property that comes up for sale too, but canny sellers will know how much the council an afford to pay and price it higher than that.

All-in-all, though, simply knowing that the house is yours, once your offer has been accepted, makes a huge difference. Taking all the circumstances into consideration, once you've paid your deposit, you can fix a date for moving and know that it's almost certainly going to be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

Buying a house is an auction in everything but name.

Just like buying something in a shop, the seller should have to accept the first offer that meets the asking price and any conditions of sale. Bidding should only be permitted below the asking price.

If not happy with this, they have the option of selling by auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

blackbox wrote: »
    Buying a house is an auction in everything but name.

Just like buying something in a shop, the seller should have to accept the first offer that meets the asking price and any conditions of sale.

If not happy with this, they have the option of selling by auction.

A shop does not have to accept the first offer that meets the asking price, they choose to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

Dav010 wrote: »
    A shop does not have to accept the first offer that meets the asking price, they choose to do so.

If a shop has a bottle of wine priced at 10 euro, they cannot say "Oh, I'm waiting to see if I can get 12 for it" - they must sell it for the advertised price. (They can refuse to sell it if the buyer is underage.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If a shop has a bottle of wine priced at 10 euro, they cannot say "Oh, I'm waiting to see if I can get 12 for it" - they must sell it for the advertised price. (They can refuse to sell it if the buyer is underage.)

They can refuse to sell to whomever they want (as long as it is not on the grounds of discrimination) Items for sale in a shop at an advertised price is an invitation to treat, that does not mean the shopkeeper is required to sell to you just because you offer the advertised price.

And, until the offer is accepted, there is nothing preventing the shopkeeper walking down the isle and changing the “0” to a “2” on the advertised price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Not true. A price is only an invitation to treat. There is noi obligation to sell for the price marked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sorry your wrong.
    The advertised price on the shelf is an invitation to tender.

If the price is different at the till, it’s up to you to pay it or put it back.

Advertisement