Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I got the Teckin smart plugs a few days ago, they seem to work well but one thing to be careful of is you can not trust their high review rating at all, I paid 14GBP or something for the two, and included in the box is a "Leave this a nice review and email us and we'll give you a 10GBP voucher" type card

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

So I go to order something today for £15, and they take off the VAT.
    Delivery date is July 5th.

Will I get caught for the VAT, or will Amazon stuff pass through?

Soarer wrote: »

You are liable for VAT, and that's about all we can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

You are liable for VAT, and that's about all we can tell you.

Plus handling fees, etc.?

Yes. Whether An Post are going to put effort into checking Amazon parcels over this short period in which VAT was correctly removed but then landed in Ireland after July 1st is anybody's guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Yea I only trust the four and three star reviews now!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

I'm in the same position of you. Have a few sub £20 value items recently ordered not due to arrive til early July.

No Irish VAT paid on them.

How exactly does this work for the July 1st deadline?

If they were ordered and paid on Amazon before then would they be not counted as being "in on time" before the deadline or is it only counted from when they land in the country?

Don't mind paying Irish VAT if necessary, but handling fees?

I thought this was only if it was over the ~ £20 threshold and was attracting customs also?

Or are handling fees applicable on every order now, even if only a fivers worth?

Can't see myself using Amazon again in future for smaller items if that's the case.

Was handy with Prime to be able to get small, cheap items delivered free, but absolutely no point now if that's going to incur a possibly €7 handling fee, or whatever it is nowadays, on top

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Morby wrote: »
    I'm in the same position of you. Have a few sub £20 value items recently ordered not due to arrive til early July.

No Irish VAT paid on them.

How exactly does this work for the July 1st deadline?

If they were ordered and paid on Amazon before then would they be not counted as being "in on time" before the deadline or is it only counted from when they land in the country?

Don't mind paying Irish VAT if necessary, but handling fees?

I thought this was only if it was over the ~ £20 threshold and was attracting customs also?

Or are handling fees applicable on every order now, even if only a fivers worth?

Can't see myself using Amazon again in future for smaller items if that's the case.

Was handy with Prime to be able to get small, cheap items delivered free, but absolutely no point now if that's going to incur a possibly €7 handling fee, or whatever it is nowadays, on top

I am open to correction on this but because Amazon do the customs payment themselves that An Post will not be adding on their own handling charge. The parcels arrive already cleared. The An Post handling charge covers them for parcels where An Post have to calculate and collect the VAT due.

The latter.

Handling fees will be charged on all items. It takes the same amount of time to clear an expensive item as a cheap one.

You're misunderstanding something important. You will not have to pay any customs duty or handling charges from Amazon for those smaller items as they will start charging Irish VAT again from July 1st. This potential customs fee for an Amazon order only applies for Amazon items which both
    • were ordered before July 1st
    • arrived into Ireland on or after July 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I cancelled some of my pending subscribe and save items incase they got sent out in the next day or so.

The no vat was a nice little bonus from Brexit while it lasted.

Stocked up on stuff as much as I could with yesterday as my ordering cut off point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Yes. Whether An Post are going to put effort into checking Amazon parcels over this short period in which VAT was correctly removed but then landed in Ireland after July 1st is anybody's guess.

I was wondering about this too. I don't think Amazon parcels state what is inside or the value of what is inside. I bought a watering can for about €7 that is arriving in July. VAT owed would probably be between €1 or €2. Seems like a lot of work for Revenue and An Post to sift through thousands of low value items for little return money wise.

I was wondering about this too. I don't think Amazon parcels state what is inside or the value of what is inside. I bought a watering can for about €7 that is arriving in July. VAT owed would probably be between €1 or €2. Seems like a lot of work for Revenue and An Post to sift through thousands of low value items for little return money wise.

an post would get their 3.50 handling charge on each one. the amount of vat is irrelevant to An Post as that money goes to revenue.

Little return? Have you taken into the account the handling charge? How many packages do you think the average customs worker will get through per hour? Certainly significantly more than the amount needed to pay their wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

What if package was sent from France but bought from Amazon UK? No fees as it was sent from EU?

Little return? Have you taken into the account the handling charge? How many packages do you think the average customs worker will get through per hour? Certainly significantly more than the amount needed to pay their wage.

Depends on what resources it would consume for An Post. I don't know how much of the handling fee is translated into profit when you take out the costs involved and staff time. I'm sure people will fight the charges as well if presented with them. I'm not saying the charges are right or wrong but it will mean company/staff time will be consumed dealing with it. You couldn't tell from looking at an Amazon box whether or not VAT was paid on it. There is no item value either. It would seem there is no easy way to distinguish whether or not VAT is due. An Post would have to open everything from Amazon and try and determine if VAT is due to get their handling charge. As Amazon are VAT registered in Ireland they may be needlessly delaying many Amazon items that are perfectly in order. I believe An Post have a contract for delivery with Amazon and I can't imagine Amazon being too impressed with packages that are in order being delayed by An Post.

I would assume small packets from China would be much easier targets for An Post if they were going after handling fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I got the Teckin smart plugs a few days ago, they seem to work well but one thing to be careful of is you can not trust their high review rating at all, I paid 14GBP or something for the two, and included in the box is a "Leave this a nice review and email us and we'll give you a 10GBP voucher" type card

As I posted previously, always chack the poor reviews more than the 5 stars. Some might be minor such as "I got a two-pin plug instead of three-pin". But if you see several complaints about a common fault then that does point to quality issues.

Depends on what resources it would consume for An Post. I don't know how much of the handling fee is translated into profit when you take out the costs involved and staff time. I'm sure people will fight the charges as well if presented with them. I'm not saying the charges are right or wrong but it will mean company/staff time will be consumed dealing with it. You couldn't tell from looking at an Amazon box whether or not VAT was paid or not. There is no item value either. It would seem there is no easy way to distinguish whether or not VAT is due. An Post would have to open everything from Amazon and try and determine if VAT is due to get their handling charge. As Amazon are VAT registered in Ireland they may be needlessly delaying Amazon items that are perfectly in order. I believe An Post have a contract for delivery with Amazon and I can't imagine Amazon being too impressed with packages that are in order being delayed by An Post.

I would assume small packets from China would be much easier targets for An Post if they were going after handling fees.

Yes, which is why I only said you are liable for VAT, I did not mention anything about the likelihood of being charged.

I would say it primarily depends on how busy An Post are over the next while. I'm sure they also have date in mind where they will stop checking for these small number of Amazon packages, likely in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

loki7777 wrote: »
    What if package was sent from France but bought from Amazon UK? No fees as it was sent from EU?

In theory, Amazon should be able to work that out, but as shown from the prime day discount pricing fiasco, it may not be in practice.

I think Amazon is a trusted trader by Revenue to handle VAT and duties correctly so it shouldn't arrive with a request for additional duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

That doesn't make too much sens either as there will be more of them coming from China then from Amazon. All will be delayed by months or weeks.

That doesn't make too much sens either as there will be more of them coming from China then from Amazon. All will be delayed by months or weeks.

I'd imagine most small packets from China are from sellers not VAT registered in Ireland. Less company time and resources would be wasted on trying to figure out if an item is VAT liable. It's probably worth their time to chase handling fees on these items because there is less ambiguity involved than with Amazon.

• Advertisement

Quite possibly. Aliexpress will start charging EU VAT from July 1st so there should be no extra charges once it arrives in Ireland. https://service.aliexpress.com/page/knowledge?pageId=37&category=1000021915&knowledge=1060863305&language=en

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I'd imagine most small packets from China are from sellers not VAT registered in Ireland. Less company time and resources would be wasted on trying to figure out if an item is VAT liable. It's probably worth their time to chase handling fees on these items because there is less ambiguity involved than with Amazon.

This is going to affect all small packets from china. Will be really interesting how An post and Revenue handle this from Thursday.
    They don't care about Vat registered companies for this purpose.

I have had packages seized in the past coming from China and I was required to provide proof of purchase for Vat calculation purposes. Then I had to collect from the distribution centre not my local sorting office and pay the vat due as agreed with Revenue.
    If something like this happens I can see it becoming a pain in the hole to order from china.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Amazon do all the work for revenue, They collect all the charges when ordering, The guarantee you won't pay more (Amazon will pay it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Just had my last order dispatched with them...hopefully, it gets through with no issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Quite possibly. Aliexpress will start charging EU VAT from July 1st so there should be no extra charges once it arrives in Ireland. https://service.aliexpress.com/page/knowledge?pageId=37&category=1000021915&knowledge=1060863305&language=en

Wish doing same also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Dawn of the final day.

Everyone, it has been a pleasure wasting money with you all

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Have batteries due Friday from Amazon, I’m going in, wish me luck ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Dawn of the final day.

Everyone, it has been a pleasure wasting money with you all

Totally. I went a bit mad on Monday and now have enough stuff to drip feed my four year old for several months. It was great while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Just checking. There's a sandwich maker in the Bargains thread. When I go to checkout it says cost will be €22 (versus €16 in the thread). Delivery is Saturday July 3rd.

Will I have to pay more when it's delivered, or is the extra €6 to account for the customs charges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Peckham wrote: »
    Just checking. There's a sandwich maker in the Bargains thread. When I go to checkout it says cost will be €22 (versus €16 in the thread). Delivery is Saturday July 3rd.

Will I have to pay more when it's delivered, or is the extra €6 to account for the customs charges?

Amazon's prices is your final price as car as I know!

Had anyone been offered a Business account? I'm assuming I have because the amount of crap I buy?

Advertisement