Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

antodeco wrote: »
    Amazon's prices is your final price as car as I know!

Had anyone been offered a Business account? I'm assuming I have because the amount of crap I buy?

yeah they offered one to me as well. and for the same reason. Not sure what benefits, if any, it gives you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Peckham wrote: »
    Just checking. There's a sandwich maker in the Bargains thread. When I go to checkout it says cost will be €22 (versus €16 in the thread). Delivery is Saturday July 3rd.

Will I have to pay more when it's delivered, or is the extra €6 to account for the customs charges?

At checkout you should see what makes up the total price. Import Fees Deposit would be the Irish VAT.

I'm going to order a few things today. VAT still coming off and Amazon deliver to my house themselves so An Post won't be adding anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭bromley52

Peckham wrote: »
    Just checking. There's a sandwich maker in the Bargains thread. When I go to checkout it says cost will be €22 (versus €16 in the thread). Delivery is Saturday July 3rd.

Will I have to pay more when it's delivered, or is the extra €6 to account for the customs charges?

Amazon have increase the price. Nothing to do with VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Wheety wrote: »
    I'm going to order a few things today. VAT still coming off and Amazon deliver to my house themselves so An Post won't be adding anything.

Depends on what you buy or where it comes from.
    Amazon deliver to me also but sometimes things also get shipped through An Post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I don’t think An Post will be checking any Amazon delivery. They are just a handling company for Amazon. Amazon deal directly with revenue for VAT.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Depends on what you buy or where it comes from.
    Amazon deliver to me also but sometimes things also get shipped through An Post

Well in that case Amazon's promise to cover all (extra) charges will kick in.

I don't understand people saying they won't shop on Amazon anymore or there won't be bargains. We only had the VAT free option from February last year to now. So things will just go back to normal, with us paying Irish VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Fair well VAT free purchases under €22. :(

I bought some amount of small cheap stuff the last 6 months from Amazon :)

Well in that case Amazon's promise to cover all (extra) charges will kick in.

I don't understand people saying they won't shop on Amazon anymore or there won't be bargains. We only had the VAT free option from February last year to now. So things will just go back to normal, with us paying Irish VAT.

yeah a vat free option for 6 months but only for low value items and it only benefitted people who paid for prime. Fair play to those who took advantage of it but it is no reason to stop buying from amazon. For the rest of us Brexit has made no difference to purchasing from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

yeah they offered one to me as well. and for the same reason. Not sure what benefits, if any, it gives you.

I have a business account. Pre Brexit it was great. I didn't pay vat. It saved me Paying vat & claiming it back. I still have the business account but don't see any advantages at the moment. Eventually amazon will have a depot here and the business account will be handy again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭SourSessions

My revolut monthly conversion rate is about to go way down! (I'll still use Amazon plenty though as I did pre-brexit)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

I know this is going OT, but I can't understand whey most of the stuff on Prime Tv is now geo-locked.

I mean, it's an online service that we subscribe to. What difference does it make where you watch it?
    The iPlayer and stuff being blocked due to us paying a licence fee in the UK is fair enough.

Soarer wrote: »
    I know this is going OT, but I can't understand whey most of the stuff on Prime Tv is now geo-locked.

I mean, it's an online service that we subscribe to. What difference does it make where you watch it?
    The iPlayer and stuff being blocked due to us paying a licence fee in the UK is fair enough.

because when they buy the rights for shows they do so on a territory by territory basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadimmortal

yeah a vat free option for 6 months but only for low value items and it only benefitted people who paid for prime. Fair play to those who took advantage of it but it is no reason to stop buying from amazon. For the rest of us Brexit has made no difference to purchasing from Amazon.

Won’t there be an extra 23% added on top of the purchase price to cover vat? If something is advertised as 100.00 we will now be paying 123.00 whereas pre brexit we would only be charged 100.00 Or will Amazon be deducting the Uk Vat and adding on Irish Vat bringing it up only a few % more

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Won’t there be an extra 23% added on top of the purchase price to cover vat? If something is advertised as 100.00 we will now be paying 123.00 whereas pre brexit we would only be charged 100.00 Or will Amazon be deducting the Uk Vat and adding on Irish Vat bringing it up only a few % more

It should be as before where something might be advertised as £19.99 but you were seeing £20.49 at the checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Something advertised at 100 will have 20 percent UK vat removed at checkout and 23 Irish added on. It's only 3 percent more expensive than the advertised price

Yeah, they deduct UK VAT first. Not all UK online shops do this.

Ignoring exchange rate for a moment, something that is £100 should be £83.33 in the checkout (£100 - Uk VAT @ 20%) then the "Import Fees Deposit" will be £19.17 for a total of £102.50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭SourSessions

bbari wrote: »
    Baylis & Harding Sweet Mandarin and Grapefruit Hand Wash, 300 ml, Pack of 6

RRP: £10.20
    Price: £6.21 (£0.35 / 100 ml)
    You Save: £3.99

Just to note these are better value per ml, depending on your bottle size preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭dodzy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Fair well VAT free purchases under €22. :(

I bought some amount of small cheap stuff the last 6 months from Amazon :)

Don’t kid yourself. You (and many more, myself included) will not stop purchasing useless crap just because of literally a few € increase in price.

Just looking at something now it's gone midnight and an item for £12.99 is now £13.31 to an Irish address. They're on the ball anyway. Item shows as this price, including the Irish VAT, at checkout. It doesn't actually have "Import Fees Deposit" anymore.

cbpjiD5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

It’s begun. Now everything is coming up (marginally) dearer on checkout

Hope you all got some nice bargains while it lasted! I’m glad I got a few bits at least

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

It’s begun. Now everything is coming up (marginally) dearer on checkout

Hope you all got some nice bargains while it lasted! I’m glad I got a few bits at least

Between 11pm and midnight I had multiple stuff in my basket that added up to 95GBP, wasnt charged VAT on any of it. Bizzare as earlier on in the day I had the standard import fees deposit. Now when I add the same items to my basket the total comes to 103% of the advertised price. Fingers crossed I dont get a VAT bill when its delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

With the VAT and Import fees now included on all purchases, I really don't see myself puchasing much on Amazon.co.uk anymore.

Am I naive in expecting an Amazon.ie in the next few months - certainly before BF/CM and Christmas Rush? Here's hoping.

Got more than my fair share of bargains down the years with Amazon, so I cant complain, but sad to see it go (to a degree)

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    With the VAT and Import fees now included on all purchases, I really don't see myself puchasing much on Amazon.co.uk anymore.

Am I naive in expecting an Amazon.ie in the next few months - certainly before BF/CM and Christmas Rush? Here's hoping.

Got more than my fair share of bargains down the years with Amazon, so I cant complain, but sad to see it go (to a degree)

I doubt there will be a .ie site. The UK one will be still be cheaper for a lot of things. You could try the European sites?

We only had the VAT free since Brexit. Before that we paid the VAT on everything. It's just gone back to that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You DO realise that the VAT that was payable on 31 December 2020 is now just being re-applied and that exemption was only for items under c.€22??

No need for the dramatic wistfulness of paradise lost!

Amazon.ie is years away/if ever notwithstanding the large fulfilment centre currently in the offing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Indeed. The added reduction under €22 was a nice bonus the last few months but that's it. Amazon's choice, prices and customer service hugely outweigh other retailers by some margin.

An Amazon.ie would likely make things more expensive, not cheaper, so you should be hoping that it takes a bit longer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Doodah7 wrote: »
    You DO realise that the VAT that was payable on 31 December 2020 is now just being re-applied and that exemption was only for items under c.€22??

No need for the dramatic wistfulness of paradise lost!

Amazon.ie is years away/if ever notwithstanding the large fulfilment centre currently in the offing.

Of course i realize, but predominately my purchases since Jan were under 20 quid.

I already stopped purchasing higher priced items in Jan, now lower priced items have less appeal too. No doubt there'll still be the odd no brainer bargain - but Amazon has probably finished in terms of being my go to now for anything.

Of course i realize, but predominately my purchases since Jan were under 20 quid.

I already stopped purchasing higher priced items in Jan, now lower priced items have less appeal too. No doubt there'll still be the odd no brainer bargain - but Amazon has probably finished in terms of being my go to now for anything.

Why did you stop purchasing higher priced items in Jan? We have paid Irish VAT with Amazon for years now. The only difference was they listed the Irish VAT separately at the checkout as Import Fees Deposit. They charge you at the checkout so An Post will not be charging you anything extra.

Customs fees only kick in after €150 but not on everything. I added a laptop to my basket for £700 and was only charged Irish VAT, not customs. I'll have to read up on customs again.

Ok, laptops have a customs rate of 0% from the UK.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=en&SimDate=20210701&Area=GB&MeasType=&StartPub=&EndPub=&MeasText=&GoodsText=&op=&Taric=8471300000&search_text=goods&textSearch=&LangDescr=en&OrderNum=&Regulation=&measStartDat=&measEndDat=

• Advertisement

Why did you stop purchasing higher priced items in Jan? We have paid Irish VAT with Amazon for years now. The only difference was they listed the Irish VAT separately at the checkout as Import Fees Deposit. They charge you at the checkout so An Post will not be charging you anything extra.

Customs fees only kick in after €150 but not on everything. I added a laptop to my basket for £700 and was only charged Irish VAT, not customs. I'll have to read up on customs again.

there is no duty on laptops.

Advertisement