Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

there is no duty on laptops.

Thanks. I just updated my post after checking the TARIC.

I think most items should be 0% because of the trade deal. No harm in checking the TARIC code if making an expensive purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Of course i realize, but predominately my purchases since Jan were under 20 quid.

I already stopped purchasing higher priced items in Jan, now lower priced items have less appeal too. No doubt there'll still be the odd no brainer bargain - but Amazon has probably finished in terms of being my go to now for anything.

Yes, but were most of your purchases in 2020 under '20 quid'?? If so, you are simply back where you were last year!

Personally I think there are a lot of people (not necessarily you) that have not taken the time to understand the, albeit somewhat complicated, customs rules for non-EU purchases. To be honest, Amazon UK is probably the gold standard for implementation and ease of use from a customer standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flintash

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Of course i realize, but predominately my purchases since Jan were under 20 quid.

I already stopped purchasing higher priced items in Jan, now lower priced items have less appeal too. No doubt there'll still be the odd no brainer bargain - but Amazon has probably finished in terms of being my go to now for anything.
    very same here. canceling Prime aswell . Got free prime Video with eir , so no loss at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Received this emsil about the hand sanitiser...

Hello,

We're still trying to obtain the item(s) which you ordered on May 23 2021 in Order# xxxxxxxxxx

"96 x 60ml Hand Sanitiser Gel by PeppyPure - Made With 75% Plant-Based Alcohol - Kills 99.9% of Bacteria - EU Compliant (Pack of 96)"

We’ll email you as soon as we have a delivery date, and we’re making every effort to ship your order as soon as possible. If you would prefer, you can cancel this order:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Yes, but were most of your purchases in 2020 under '20 quid'?? If so, you are simply back where you were last year!

Personally I think there are a lot of people (not necessarily you) that have not taken the time to understand the, albeit somewhat complicated, customs rules for non-EU purchases. To be honest, Amazon UK is probably the gold standard for implementation and ease of use from a customer standpoint.

i'm not even sure it is that complicated. Brexit had no negative effects on what we paid for products from amazon, apart from the few instances where there were discounts applied and Amazon screwed up the calculation. On the other hand people who had prime got a nice VAT free six months on items under €22. It appears some have taken umbrage at now having to start paying VAT again on those items. Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

flintash wrote: »
    very same here. canceling Prime aswell . Got free prime Video with eir , so no loss at all.

Bet you lose out more than they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Solaris10

Get £5 off £25 - instantly, with code DISCOUNT5P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,793 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Solaris10 wrote: »
    Get £5 off £25 - instantly, with code DISCOUNT5P
    :confused::confused:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=7143867031

On the other hand people who had prime got a nice VAT free six months on items under €22. It appears some have taken umbrage at now having to start paying VAT again on those items. Bizarre.

Wasn't it from February 2020 until yesterday? Or am I wrong. I've seen a few people say 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wheety wrote: »
    Wasn't it from February 2020 until yesterday? Or am I wrong. I've seen a few people say 6 months.

its only been since january 1st as far as I know. Brexit didn't kick in properly until then. Before that the regular EU rules applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

An Amazon.ie would likely make things more expensive, not cheaper, so you should be hoping that it takes a bit longer than that.
    Indeed, they set prices to compete locally. That's why certain products/brands are consistently cheaper on one Amazon site than on the other - it reflects the competition they face in the given market. I expect higher prices on amazon.ie and many more products to become unavailable for us on the UK site. Also, prime on the UK site would likely no longer include free deliveries here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Had a look at a few items this morning while it definitely adds a few quid to many items a lot of of products still significantly cheaper to purchase on Amazon than buying in store or on line with many Irish retailers.
    As mentioned any .ie is just going to bring prices closer to Irish retail prices . Amazon.de still offers the best value for a lot of items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭mel123

For comparison, i bought something that worked out £3.57. Today the price is £5.12. I assume then an post will college their €3.50 on top of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

mel123 wrote: »
    For comparison, i bought something that worked out £3.57. Today the price is £5.12. I assume then an post will college their €3.50 on top of that?

Amazon prices aren't fixed, they fluctuate all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Solaris10

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

Why would AnPost collect 3.50?

What you pay at checkout with Amazon is the final bill, they collect all vat and duty on behalf of revenue from my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

What is this €3.50, the Amazon price at check out is the price delivered surely.
    That's their boast with Prime "delivered at no extra cost".

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

The amazon price now includes the VAT if I'm not mistaken? So there shouldn't be a need for An Post to look for €€€??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Solaris10 wrote:
    The Offer is valid only between 1 July 2021 and 13 July 2021, and limited to 5,000 coupons.

Make sure to click the 'check personalized codes' banner underneath. I got 10 off 25 though have nothing in my basket eligible to spend it on so will wait and see

its only been since january 1st as far as I know. Brexit didn't kick in properly until then. Before that the regular EU rules applied.

Yeah, you're right. There was a temporary agreement in place for 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Soarer wrote: »
    Shamelessly taken from HUKD.

nVidia Shield TV Pro 4K HDR Ready Media Streamer

Coming in at £152.90 delivered.
    Assuming Amazon have the tax thing sorted, there shouldn't be any duty on top.
    Bit of a wait time (end of July), but worth it. Amazing bit of kit.
    Lowest price ever according to CCC.

Can someone explain what the benefits of this are please cos I plan on buying a new TV in the next 6 months anyway?
    I've seen people gushing over them and don't understand the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭mel123

Caranica wrote: »
    Amazon prices aren't fixed, they fluctuate all the time
    The advertised selling price is the same today as it was when i bought it a couple of days ago. So a small item has increased by £1.55 due to the new changes effective today. We all knew it was coming, im just making a comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭SourSessions

mel123 wrote:
    The advertised selling price is the same today as it was when i bought it a couple of days ago. So a small item has increased by £1.55 due to the new changes effective today. We all knew it was coming, im just making a comparison

The increase will be the exact same across the (sub 22) board - 23% (not accounting for differently rated items)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Another example of people not understanding. Why would An Post charge €3.50?? Amazon has already factored in VAT in the final selling price!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Just had an Amazon package delivered, no extra charges and I did get in before the Vat changes, so I assume from this that anything below €22 ordered before today, will escape the reimposition of Vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

It was a wonderful 6 months of VAT free shopping!

Like Ireland under Jack Charlton unfortunately we'll never see those days again but thankfully we can say we were there!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Just had an Amazon package delivered, no extra charges and I did get in before the Vat changes, so I assume from this that anything below €22 ordered before today, will escape the reimposition of Vat.
    Wait til tomorrows arrivals. Your package arrived into ROI yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

Do Amazon Prime use a computerised voice to remind you that your free 1 months membership is up and they are about to charge for the year. I disconnected after being asked to 'press 1 to continue'. I got this on my landline and wondered if it's a con?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Don Imac2 wrote: »
    Do Amazon Prime use a computerised voice to remind you that your free 1 months membership is up and they are about to charge for the year. I disconnected after being asked to 'press 1 to continue'. I got this on my landline and wondered if it's a con?
    Known scam for past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Don Imac2 wrote: »

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/oct/10/amazon-prime-scam-phone-calls :)

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement