Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadimmortal

Aren’t books supposed to vat free. They seem to be charging vat on books

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

Pique wrote: »
    Can someone explain what the benefits of this are please cos I plan on buying a new TV in the next 6 months anyway?
    I've seen people gushing over them and don't understand the hype.

Basically like a TV stick, only better.
    Kinda all-in-one media centre.

Someone will do a better description than that.
    I had one for months sitting in the box. Bought on a whim and like you, didn't get the hype.
    But I plugged it in, installed a few apps (Plex and Kodi particularly), connected up my 8TB HDD, and now I can drag/drop stuff to the HDD across my home network, and watch anything anywhere on my HDD through Plex.
    You can also buy a controller and play games.

There's probably a lot more it can do that I don't use it for.

I'd suggest buying it at that money, and returning it if it doesn't suit.
    Or sell it. They hold their value incredibly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i've just gone through checkout with a book and there was no import fees deposit added.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I really can't see a possible reason why I would hold on to my prime. Its up for renewal soon, but bar prime video, its fairly useless, or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭SourSessions

I really can't see a possible reason why I would hold on to my prime. Its up for renewal soon, but bar prime video, its fairly useless, or am I missing something?

You still get free delivery on items under 25 pounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You can order things that cost less than 25 with free delivery.
    I have a student account so I'll definitely be keeping it as I never bother loading up 25 everytime I want something, or adding 5 quid to pay for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭SourSessions

I just got onto chat about the inevitable failure of the promised June 30th hand sanitizer. Agent said it would be best to cancel the order and gave me 10 pounds credit for the hassle. A really good rep actually, it really does depend on who you get. Knew I was never getting the order so a pretty good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭POBox19

"Unlike print books, digital books are subject to VAT." Which means that Kindle books have VAT in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Solaris10 wrote: »

Unfortunately you are not eligible for this offer. Shop by category or check out Today's Deals below.
    This Offer is by invitation only. Customers may be invited to benefit from this Offer by Amazon by email, push notification or banner on Amazon.co.uk. Customers can confirm whether they are eligible for this Offer by visiting the landing page https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=26309407031 where the Offer is explained and checking whether they can see the Terms & Conditions of the Offer. Customers who have been invited by Amazon and have visited the landing page (“Eligible Customers”), will benefit from a £5 promotional code to redeem against Qualifying Items of at least £25 on or before 11:59pm on 13 July 2021 on Amazon.co.uk (the "Offer").

Seve OB wrote: »
    Unfortunately you are not eligible for this offer. Shop by category or check out Today's Deals below.
    This Offer is by invitation only. Customers may be invited to benefit from this Offer by Amazon by email, push notification or banner on Amazon.co.uk. Customers can confirm whether they are eligible for this Offer by visiting the landing page https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=26309407031 where the Offer is explained and checking whether they can see the Terms & Conditions of the Offer. Customers who have been invited by Amazon and have visited the landing page (“Eligible Customers”), will benefit from a £5 promotional code to redeem against Qualifying Items of at least £25 on or before 11:59pm on 13 July 2021 on Amazon.co.uk (the "Offer").

Offer is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Soarer wrote: »
    Basically like a TV stick, only better.
    Kinda all-in-one media centre.

Someone will do a better description than that.
    I had one for months sitting in the box. Bought on a whim and like you, didn't get the hype.
    But I plugged it in, installed a few apps (Plex and Kodi particularly), connected up my 8TB HDD, and now I can drag/drop stuff to the HDD across my home network, and watch anything anywhere on my HDD through Plex.
    You can also buy a controller and play games.

There's probably a lot more it can do that I don't use it for.

I'd suggest buying it at that money, and returning it if it doesn't suit.
    Or sell it. They hold their value incredibly well.
    Meh, not really for me then tbh. A good Smart TV with streaming apps and my Google Stadia for games will do me fine. I used to use Plex years ago but TBH, I would rarely use it except when maybe searching for an old B&W movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭jones

Mines up shortly too don't think I'll keep it now the vat loop is gone. I'll just make sure I order over 25 for free delivery. If it was fiver a month I'd probably keep it but it's not for me as I already have prime video separately

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Pique wrote: »
    Meh, not really for me then tbh. A good Smart TV with streaming apps and my Google Stadia for games will do me fine. I used to use Plex years ago but TBH, I would rarely use it except when maybe searching for an old B&W movie.

The difference between the Smart TV and Shield is the latter will have the full range of apps available (maybe with some side-loading) whereas the TV can be geo-restricted (or just not have some apps at all), or have older/no longer supported apps over time that you're stuck with.

Performance of the Shield will also be a lot better than the TV. Bought one myself recently and use it for Amazon Prime, Apple TV and Plex and it's a far superior, an much more flexible option IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭dodzy

mel123 wrote: »
    For comparison, i bought something that worked out £3.57. Today the price is £5.12. I assume then an post will college their €3.50 on top of that?

I’m sure many assume just that, incorrectly. As has been said many times, we are no worse off than pre Jan 1/2020, with the exception of some items with value in excess of 150quid. The amount of posts throwing their toys out of the park because sub 22quid purchased now cost slightly more is ridiculous.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Something advertised at 100 will have 20 percent UK vat removed at checkout and 23 Irish added on. It's only 3 percent more expensive than the advertised price

This isn’t the case now, the Uk vat isn’t being removed and the Irish one applied. A full 23% is being added on top of the normal price

This isn’t the case now, the Uk vat isn’t being removed and the Irish one applied. A full 23% is being added on top of the normal price

do you have an example of that? anything sold by amazon or a seller registered for UK vat will have the UK vat removed and irish vat added.

do you have an example of that? anything sold by amazon or a seller registered for UK vat will have the UK vat removed and irish vat added.

Sorry, it did remove vat but I can’t get my head around the way they are calculating it.
    Item was 399.99, then down to 332 after they removed their vat but then went to 466 with import duties. 23% on 332 would bring it to 408 but it looks like they applied 41%

• Registered Users Posts: 46,028 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry, it did remove vat but I can’t get my head around the way they are calculating it.
    Item was 399.99, then down to 332 after they removed their vat but then went to 466 with import duties. 23% on 332 would bring it to 408 but it looks like they applied 41%
    But anything over €150 (incl delivery costs) will incur customs charges on top of the VAT.

muffler wrote: »
    But anything over €150 (incl delivery costs) will incur customs charges on top of the VAT.

depending on the item there will potentially be duty payable on the item as it is over €150. Without knowing the item it is impossible to tell.

Oh okay I get you now thanks. There’ll be a lot of trips up north from people this Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Depending on the item, there'd be duty involved as well as the value is over €150

Based on the figures you given it works out roughly around 18%, which would be the Third country duty rate.

€322 * 0.18=€58 (Duty)

€322 + €58= €380 (Base + Duty)

€380 * 0.23 = €87 (Vat on Base + Duty)

€370 + €87= €467 (Total inc Vat)

Is the item being sold directly by Amazon? Just speculation without a link though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

vicwatson wrote: »
    Have batteries due Friday from Amazon, I’m going in, wish me luck ;-)

They arrived today July 1st and delivered as normal, no vat etc, must have got lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭dan786

Got a few parcels today through Amazon Logistics, one of them had been opened and resealed with a note in it saying it was opened for customs inspection. Have dozens of parcels over the last month but never had one inspected before that was through Amazon logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dan786 wrote:
    Got a few parcels today through Amazon Logistics, one of them had been opened and resealed with a note in it saying it was opened for customs inspection. Have dozens of parcels over the last month but never had one inspected before that was through Amazon logistics.

I have but my parcel numbers would be in the 100s since Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Might incur. Not everything is subject to customs. You can check the TARIC rate here

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Can I ask if open box are generally ok .. I have seen a few things I need and some are significantly cheaper with open box option, nearly half price on some items.
    Warranty is still valid ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

harr wrote: »
    Can I ask if open box are generally ok .. I have seen a few things I need and some are significantly cheaper with open box option, nearly half price on some items.
    Warranty is still valid ..

Always found them to be excellent quality. Never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

vicwatson wrote: »
    They arrived today July 1st and delivered as normal, no vat etc, must have got lucky

Would have been imported through customs before today though.

I have packages arriving tomorrow and later in July, which will be interesting. Expecting Amazon to swallow any VAT TBH, not worth the admin to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

MugsGame wrote: »
    Would have been imported through customs before today though.

I have packages arriving tomorrow and later in July, which will be interesting. Expecting Amazon to swallow any VAT TBH, not worth the admin to collect it.

Yeh perhaps.

It was due Friday but arrived today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Bought one myself recently and use it for Amazon Prime, Apple TV and Plex and it's a far superior, an much more flexible option IMO.

You can use it for AppleTV?

Advertisement